• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

kitch9

Banned
Strawmen Force assemble! I definitely said EVERY private sector worker is a tax dodging bastard, uh huh.

On phone so cant link your special Logical Fallacy badge for today!

Some people will engage in the criminal act of trying to evade tax by not declaring offshore earnings, but you make it sound like it's just a case of opening an account abroad and putting money in it.... It's not.

I don't know if you have been the subject of a hmrc tax inspection but I have. Those guys are very good at what they do, and if they even get a sniff of anything nefarious they will have forensic accountants on your ass before you can blink.

People need to know the difference between tax avoidance and evasion. Avoidance is legal, and most companies do it everyday.... Provided you don't push the boundaries you can "avoid" away and HMRC won't bat an eyelid.

Some people will engage in the criminal act of trying to evade tax by not declaring offshore earnings, but you make it sound like it's just a case of opening an account abroad and putting money in it.... It's not.

I don't know if you have been the subject of a hmrc tax inspection but I have. Those guys are very good at what they do, and if they even get a sniff of anything nefarious they will have forensic accountants on your ass before you can blink.

People need to know the difference between tax avoidance and evasion. Avoidance is legal, and most companies do it everyday.... Provided you don't push the boundaries you can "avoid" away and HMRC won't bat an eyelid.

beefeater.jpg_2.png

I don't avoid tax, I evade tax, no, its the other way roun-SHUT UP!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yes, thats what I'm saying? "Avoidance" on the scale its currently being used shouldnt be an option. That is where the most money is just trickling through the cracks, and the impetus should be on seizing that back and not kicking disabled people and the like in the bollocks.

kitch9

Banned
Yes, thats what I'm saying? "Avoidance" on the scale its currently being used shouldnt be an option. That is where the most money is just trickling through the cracks, and the impetus should be on seizing that back and not kicking disabled people and the like in the bollocks.

Yeah, I don't agree with the Vodafone thing either, but they did legally take of advantage of the fact interest payments are tax deductible over here by getting a one of their own foreign companies to "loan" them money at a high interest rate. Nothing HMRC can do about it, it was perfectly legal in the current rules and a glaring loophole which I believe has since been closed. (Hopefully.)

You can't blame the player, you have to blame the game. Private company owners will constantly balance their personal and company tax liabilities so they don't have to pay a penny more than they have to and its normal practice, HMRC expect it. Just wish someone would tell the likes of the Daily Fail and The Sun.

I read a story in one of the rags about how the band One Direction had set up a company just to "avoid tax" and we should be all outraged and it just made me cringe how embarrassing it was, and how it was inflammatory to those that don't understand this stuff....

Love your 'facts'.

Cheers, mate.

Economic output is the sum of public and private sectors. There is nothing fake about utility generated by public workers.

Which is why I said nothing of the sort. There's a ton of "utility" generated by the public sector - a publicly owned school is never gonna make money, nor is a nationalised health service, nationalised fire service, military etc. They all produce a lot of utility. But I didn't say anything about them being "fake". I said that GDP growth that occurs as a result of government spending is "fake" because it doesn't represent an increase in efficiency or output - even if the government is asking a person to make 100 bricks, they still have to take that money from someone else in order to do it, first. Conversely, in the private sector Frank might buy some wood for £20, make a chair and sell it for £40. He has just used his labour to generate wealth. With this he might buy those 100 bricks and build a shed, which he'll sell for £80. More wealth generated! Well done, Frank! The government isn't doing that - it's taking money one person's generated and gives it to someone else. Now, in the case of teachers, firefighters etc we all love that and it's all wonderful, but we can't trundle along, pretending like they pay for themselves. They don't, and they never will. If we want a big and healthy public sector, that provides for those with need and helps boost people into positions where they can choose their own destiny, we need to acknowledge that we need a very healthy private sector - and sometimes securing the long term good of the private sector requires cutting the public sector, because you can't expect the private sector to give up half its money and not expect it to affect its competitiveness.

If you're going to post this kind of stuff at least have the courtesy to preface it with an "I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about".

With all due respect sir, it might have made more sense if you'd actually read what I wrote. I assume you didn't, since your sentence up there refers to something I didn't say.

That would be true if the public sector didn't make the government money. However they can do (the DVLA for example makes loads of money). If there had been a revamping of British rail then it could have made money. Likewise the government also made money of Gas, water electricity etc.

Pardon? The public sector doesn't make the government money. Even if you can point to very specific instances where a government body makes a profit (I'd argue that an agent of the state doesn't really count - sure, the DVLA might make money, when the government makes laws that demand you pass a test and then specifies a single place you can take that test. It's literally the definition of a monopoly, and it's enforced by the law. I'd be appalled if it didn't make money), I don't understand the relevance of what you're saying.

If there'd been a revamping of British Rail it could have made money? Well, maybe. But the public sector is woefully, woefully ill equipped to make money, precisely because it's the public sector. If the government knew how to run a company, Thatcher wouldn't have happened. There is an absolute conflict of interest when governments try to make money, which is why it really only works in instances of enormous volumes of natural resources, such as petro-governments and nationalised gold mines - and that's all because the wealth comes not from the labour and production process, but from the raw material that the government itself had no part in producing.

Walshicus

Which is why I said nothing of the sort. There's a ton of "utility" generated by the public sector - a publicly owned school is never gonna make money, nor is a nationalised health service, nationalised fire service, military etc. They all produce a lot of utility. But I didn't say anything about them being "fake". I said that GDP growth that occurs as a result of government spending is "fake" because it doesn't represent an increase in efficiency or output - even if the government is asking a person to make 100 bricks, they still have to take that money from someone else in order to do it, first. Conversely, in the private sector Frank might buy some wood for £20, make a chair and sell it for £40. He has just used his labour to generate wealth. With this he might buy those 100 bricks and build a shed, which he'll sell for £80. More wealth generated! Well done, Frank! The government isn't doing that - it's taking money one person's generated and gives it to someone else. Now, in the case of teachers, firefighters etc we all love that and it's all wonderful, but we can't trundle along, pretending like they pay for themselves. They don't, and they never will. If we want a big and healthy public sector, that provides for those with need and helps boost people into positions where they can choose their own destiny, we need to acknowledge that we need a very healthy private sector - and sometimes securing the long term good of the private sector requires cutting the public sector, because you can't expect the private sector to give up half its money and not expect it to affect its competitiveness.

It is EXACTLY THE SAME THING. They are functionally equivalent. A nominal £ of output by the public sector is exactly the same as a nominal £ of output by the private sector. The public sector isn't some blackhole where output never escapes; your entire notion is childish.

Again, I love your naive dogmatic approach to the private sector. I think we've seen enough times how bad privatisation has been for nearly every company that's been through it. You don't increase efficiency. You increase the money-making potential for a select group of shareholders with often very real decreases in utility for most of the public.

Nobody would argue that there isn't a space for the private sector - there is and I work in it - but the notion that the private sector is in any way capable of providing better utility for "serious" goods and services than the public sector is laughable.

nib95

Banned
Cheers, mate.

But that's why we have such things invested in the public sector, and why large chunks of our taxes go towards paying for them. It's not always about making money, because at the end of the day it'd drive our costs up. Whole point of investing in public sector is to keep our costs down and make living more affordable. Historically the more that is moved over to or invested in private sectors, the more prices soar, wealth inequality increases and general social prosperity suffers. This is the case the world over and why so many of the top performing European countries are so heavily socially committed.

I absolutely dread the idea of sifting more of our currently public sector elements over to private. Sure they might not make as money, but that has its benefits too. It keeps costs down and gets you more for your money, as oppose to private interests which are all about profit, not the benefit of the end user (see countries with private healthcare that have extortionate healthcare costs).

The problem was just that in recent years we overspent and didn't keep enough in the bank, especially with retarded crap like the Iraq war. But even then it was less the fault of the government and more the fault of private interests, eg banks and lenders etc that caused the recession in the first place.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I absolutely dread the idea of sifting more of our currently public sector elements over to private. Sure they might not make as money, but that has its benefits too. It keeps costs down and gets you more for your money, as oppose to private interests which are all about profit, not the benefit of the end user (see countries with private healthcare that have extortionate healthcare costs).

Not as simple as that. It's not so much about privatisation as about monopoly. I remember when British Telecom (as it then was) had a six-month lead time for installing a telephone line, and when putting a phone line becomes the critical path of your business startup you got trouble.

A six-month lead time with BT is like a six-month waiting list on the NHS. Why should you need that? Nobody wants it.

It isn't all about the cost; it's about the responsiveness, the feedback, the accountability, the "we will fix it if we have got it wrong" - none of which seems to cut any quarter in the public sector. For example, I have been waiting for three months now for a replacement recycling bin from my local council which was due within 28 working days whatever they are. Three months. And it appears nobody has noticed this, or escalated it, or done anything about it.

nib95

Banned
Not as simple as that. It's not so much about privatisation as about monopoly. I remember when British Telecom (as it then was) had a six-month lead time for installing a telephone line, and when putting a phone line becomes the critical path of your business startup you got trouble.

A six-month lead time with BT is like a six-month waiting list on the NHS. Why should you need that? Nobody wants it.

It isn't all about the cost; it's about the responsiveness, the feedback, the accountability, the "we will fix it if we have got it wrong" - none of which seems to cut any quarter in the public sector. For example, I have been waiting for three months now for a replacement recycling bin from my local council which was due within 28 working days whatever they are. Three months. And it appears nobody has noticed this, or escalated it, or done anything about it.

What you're describing is probably as much the fault of the residents as it is the council. I'd also argue that it was a one off. I've lived in different boroughs and councils around the country and the vast majority of the time stuff like that runs like clockwork. Trash collected on set days and times every week etc. We actually looked at private recycling and trash collection options for my dads restaurants and guess what, it was more expensive. Same with so many little things, even rodent removal or pest control (when I had mice in my house atic) etc. Council options are order of magnitude cheaper.

kitch9

Banned

Not only that, if BT tried rising hours or tinkering with the working conditions to try to catch up, the unions would just ballot for a strike and no progress would be made....

It is EXACTLY THE SAME THING. They are functionally equivalent. A nominal £ of output by the public sector is exactly the same as a nominal £ of output by the private sector. The public sector isn't some blackhole where output never escapes; your entire notion is childish.

Again, I love your naive dogmatic approach to the private sector. I think we've seen enough times how bad privatisation has been for nearly every company that's been through it. You don't increase efficiency. You increase the money-making potential for a select group of shareholders with often very real decreases in utility for most of the public.

Nobody would argue that there isn't a space for the private sector - there is and I work in it - but the notion that the private sector is in any way capable of providing better utility for "serious" goods and services than the public sector is laughable.

Of course it isn't EXACTLY THE SAME. If they really were functionally equivalent (your words, not mine), why would you support the existence of a private sector? Why would you say that nobody would argue that there isn't a space for the private sector? If spending is spending is spending, and they're functionally equivalent, why aren't you a communist? I say that not in a YouTube-comment style "What, you support OsamaCare?!? What are you, a commie??" way, i mean genuinely why would you simultaneously support the same private sector you declare is laughably inadequate to provide "serious" goods and services, if the same spending by the government is functionally identical?

The reason is that it isn't functionally identical, and you know that, which is why you're not a communist. I think what you're confusing is that the fact that government spending feasibly could have identical utility (ie, if the government had set up a small technology company in the 80's called Apple and made the exact same decisions as the Apple management made, there's no reason to think that Apple would currently not be in the same place, and you're right - the fact it's government money doesn't change what that money does) doesn't mean it ever is. It almost never is. Even in situations where a comparatively sized private sector company (ie an utterly massive one) could reap enormous savings via economies of scale, it doesn't happen.

There are all sorts of argued reasons for this, and of course people have written whole books about it, but that's the crux of my whole argument - could money spend by the government be the same as that spent by the private sector? Technically, yes. In any practical way, is it? No, not really. The money isn't used efficiently at all, which is precisely why it's a) different and b) a problem, as per my previous post. My view on the main reasons why the state so rarely spends efficiently...

a) Information. The government doesn't have the information it needs to make decisions that make effective use of money. For a moment, let's consider the different approaches to schooling. If the state school system, how do you determine whether or not a school is offering good value for money. Outside of looking abroad, how do you know if spending, say, £3,000 per year per pupil at a school that averages C grades at GCSE (not for long lololol) is good value? Maybe that's terrible, and you'd expect much better grades for that money. Maybe it's fantastic and that school is an example for all others. But how do you know what is a 'good' amount to spend on a school that both provides a good education and doesn't put undue strain on the budget? Well, you can't. You have no market there. You have no "customers" who can choose to go elsewhere if they prefer another option or supplier. The metrics that customers use to determine what, where and at what price point they purchase a product are varied and complex, and no one understands them all, as everyone is different - but in a system where no one is even making a decision, ascertaining value for money is next to impossible.

However, if you're sending your kid to a £14k a term private school, you certainly can tell if you're getting good value for money. The other private schools will proudly display their results, and their costs. You can make a (reasonably) informed judgement about where to put your money/children. Now please, don't mistake my meaning here - I'm not championing the abolition of state education or anything, this is just an example - without a market in which players compete, you can't ascertain value. This is what leads to the situation phisheep described with British Telecom - when you have no alternative, even if you desperately want to provide the best service (and we'll come on to that later), how do you know that getting a line quickly is important? You only have limited resources - hiring more people to get your line installed quicker might mean making sacrifices in service or price elsewhere. Do you do it? Do you leave it as it is? You have no idea. Because in a free market, if someone's fed up with having to wait 6 months for a line, they can go to someone else that doesn't. The market then learns, "Man, that company that installs lines by the end of the week is really sweeping up all the business! Maybe we should try and divert our resources into that!" And thus, the market provides what people want, not what the government thinks people want.

(At this point my PC crashed and I lost about 1,000 words. Forgive me if the following appears brief!)

b) It picks winners and loser. I think not even Keynsian's would argue with the idea that it's only when the government spends money with a private company that growth could theoretically occur. I'm a big fan of state education (though it needs drastic reform), so I don't expect schools to magically make money to justify their position, at all. However, we need to acknowledge that even keynsians can't believe that they 'generate growth'. Paying teachers doesn't generate growth, because they've not increased output, or improved production processes. And that's fine, because that's not what they're there to do. But When you do that, the government is just taking money from one person and giving it to another. The net efficiency of that depends entirely on what those people - Peter and Paul, let's call them- would have spent the money on anyway. There's no Way to know if Peter would have spent the money in a more or less efficient way than Paul (and to an extent, it doesn't matter - if it's spent freely in a market, it's supporting a business that Peter or Paul like and want to get their service, whether it's deemed 'efficient' or not. The market providing for people's desires is the very measure of an efficient market), but we know that the process of taking money from Peter and giving it to Paul isn't The tax code is enormous, specifically designed to not be understandable by anyone but a qualified professional, and with a complexity that actively encourages people to stash their money in the Caymans. I'm getting a bit Off topic here, but I'm seeking to cut off what I often see as being a response to the idea that only public spending on private companies can generate growth.

So the only time "growth" could theoretically occur from government spending (assurming they aren't going to try and set up their own companies - they do this sometimes, but that tends to be backed by the law as per the DVLA and has almost all the same problems for the customer as the British Telecom example) is if the government bought Frank's chair, or his shed, above Even then, it's not the government that generated the wealth - it was Frank, The government merely stimulated demand. There are a few problems here: 1) Does the government have use for the chairs? One would hope so, but given how frequently the government boast about how many jobs their latest scheme has created, it's easy to wonder if they're actually interested in chairs, or interested in jobs. This is closely related to point 2) that stimulating demand during a downturn often has negative repercussions for that industry in the medium to long term. For something like the Dept of Education or LEAs, they can single handedly keep a number of businesses in business with their purchases of health equipment, supplies, school supplies etc. And that's OK (* See point 3) - they're going to need to buy those things come hell or high water, and if there are a numberof companies out there competing to for that business., that's great - their businesses get custom, the government gets good value thanks to the competition, and everyone's happy.

The problem comes when the government thinks that stimulating a certain sector during a downturn is a good idea. The problem then is that you get companies and whole inclustries that are entirely relient on the government for their existence. A business that only exists because the government is buying products from it that it doesn't really want (if it did want them, it'd be buying them irrespective of whether or was a downturn – LEA's don't only buy post-it notes when the post-it note industry has taken a dive). You end up with a situation as per the miners in the 70's, where their business became gradually more and more relient on government subsidies to the point where they were no longer a viable business at all. Their costs were too high, their yields too low. In a free market they'd have been allowed to slowly become less profitable, slowly shed their jobs etc. Thatcher came along, got rid of the subsidies and everyone lost their jobs. You had towns with 75% unemployment. This wasn't because Thatcher stopped the subsidies, it was because Labour started them – towns with that high unemployment get utterly decimated. You can't find a new job in a town where 3/4s of people are unemployed and the few remaining businesses are struggling to remain solvent because their entire customer base is unemployed. If the same process had happened slowly over the course of a decade or more, I'm not saying it'd have all been roses, but they'd have been in a much better position by the mid-80's than they were under Thatcher! Subsidies (and, for the same reason, government spending purely to keep indsutries and businesses alive) is a horrible short-termist attitude. Which leads me onto...

3) The government picking winners. In the case of Frank, when the government decides to buy a chair from Frank, they're choosing to buy a chair from Frank and therefore not someone else. I mean, they could also buy a chair from someone else, but when Frank gets a purchase from the government, that's a purchase no one else has got. See: ATOS, see BAE Systems, see G4S, see see see. Everytime the government offers a big contract to a private company, it does so at the behest of all the others. Now, this is unavoidable – you can't always spread the workload out evenly. In fact, you almost never can, and it'd almost never be as efficient. But, quite aside from the fact that the government seemed to get bummed on a routine basis in their contracts, the reason this is a problem is that typically the government becomes a dominant force in whatever market they blunder uncontrollably into, or in some cases actively create industries (like ATOS) that government contracts can massively alter the market. And again, there's no way around this, but it's a problem because of....

c) The government's conflict of interest. Businesses have one goal – earn as much money as possible. And this is fine – it's not greedy or evil or malevolant, because in a free market, the company that gets the most custom is the one that most fulfils the customers needs or desires. They don't necessarily have to have the best products (see Tesco) or the cheapest prices (see Apple), but if they can carve out a niche (even a very large one) and make money, it's because people choose to part with their money and give it to this company, rather than going to a competitor or even doing it themselves (I bet Frank doesn't buy a chair from someone else!). The consumer, too, has a set of desires and wants that are more complicated than simply “profit” but are, nontheless, entirely present. Some might care more about price in certain aspects, but quality in others – they might want to get a cheap flight and a fancy hotel, or a cheap hotel and a fancy flight. That's up to them. It is ultimately their own happiness (or that of the person they are buying the item or service for) they are fulfilling.

But what does the government want? Let's say they're buying a bunch of chairs from Frank to refit one of their Civil Service offices. Which of their many responsibilities are they meant to put first? They have a responsibility to Frank to give him a good price – afterall, we wouldn't want the government bullying their way into an industry and forcing everyone to lower their prices in the same way supermarkets do in small towns, right? Plus, what about the delivery schedule – what if Frank can't produce the required 10 a week, and can only provide 5 a week. Do you go elsewhere, leaving Frank out of pocket? Do you force him to work long hours into the night to get it done? For a business the answer would be obvious – Frank obviously isn't the supplier for us. But for the government? They have a responsibility to Frank. What if all the other companies providing alternatives aren't from the UK? Should they hire Frank anyway, and put up with the delay?

What about the civil servants? They work for the government, they get little thanks (though a nice pension) and the government is their employer – it has a responsibilit to ensure they're comfortable both for their health and because a happy, comfortable office procides better result. So how much do they spend? The civil service union will be lobbying for the best chair around, because their members are hard working and they deserve the best. And maybe they do.

But what about the tax payer, the guys that are funding all of this? They get neither a comfortable chair, nor a boost to their businesses (except the guy selling the wood to Frank), yet they're the ones stumping up the money. Doesn't the government have a responsibility to ensure their money is well spent – the interests of the tax payers may well run contrarry to the interests of Frank and the civil service – whose intersts may well run contrary to one another! Yet the government is expected to be responsible for all of those groups. Well, someone's got to lose. Often only one person wins, in fact. And that company that wins does so, not because of a result of the market deeming their product to be the best, but because of this complicated system of arbitration the government has to go through. It's why the government so rarely makes efficient decisions, because it has responsibilities beyond economic efficiency. When it does make decisions based upon that, such as when they bought the new trains from a German company rather than a British one, they get bollocked by everyone for sending jobs overseas.

So that's why I think government spending isn't the same as private spending. It can never be as efficient, and often times is actively harmful to the economy. And to reiterate, I'm not talking about doctors and teachers and nurses here, I'm talking about the private sector rewarding businesses that do what they want, and the government distorting the market horribly.

Oh, and by the way, we do let the private sector take care of “serious” things. Food is pretty serious, and supermarkets are about the most perfect example of the free market working well. They offer an enormous range of choice for the consumer, with all price points well supplied and choice and competition within those price points. For your average consumer in the UK, a free market on food is unimaginably preferable to a state-sanctioned system. Likewise, most people are better off now they can choose whether to fly with Easy Jet or Virgin, go to o2 or Vodafone, Virgin Media of Sky broadband. All these things – food, infrastructure – are very “serious”, and they're all provided excellently by the private sector.

If you're going to post this kind of stuff at least have the courtesy to preface it with an "I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about".

Oops, I forgot about this. I just made you read a load of stuff, didn't I? Sorry. A suffix will have to do:

fc4.jpg

stn

I recently moved temporarily to the UK from North America. Anyone care to give me a run-down of the basics of UK politics?

nib95

Banned
CyclopsRock, I only skimmed through your post above but there's a lot of rubbish in it. You have a horribly misguided and uninformed view on public sector workings. Public schools would have more of a metric to compare to than private schools purely because there's more of them. With public schools it wouldn't be about how much education is worth or how much profit they can extract (not as a priority anyway), but what is the best we can get for the money we have, and there's countless figures and statistics available for them to determine that.

I have no idea why you would think otherwise. They'd have all the stats and figures available to most private schools only more. Have you even been to a public school? The way you talk is as someone who's very removed from public sector workings and has all his cogs thrown in to the private sector profit making machine, with little thought for the bigger picture (especially socially speaking) outside of business ethics.

Apologies if my post is ropey, posting from a back of a car on my mobile and it's quite bumpy lol.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
I recently moved temporarily to the UK from North America. Anyone care to give me a run-down of the basics of UK politics?

Tories: Evil people who want to use your babies as leather for reupholstering their favourite wingback
Labour: Communists
Lib Dems: lolwho

pulsemyne

Your last paragraph can be easily refuted with the following points.

1. Ask farmers just how much they like the supermarkets and their price fixing. The reply will be filled with swear words.
2. Some government departments make the government money.
3. Ask most rail passengers if they like the privitised companies the answer will be no. The same of the water companies. Privitisation actually made the systems worse not better. Water companies made huge profits and failed to invest properly in improving services.
4. Thanks to the privitisation of services I get pestered with phone calls all the time. I don;t want to fucking hear about your offers British gas.
5. Bizarrely enough the public sector is not horribly inefficient. It's actaully well run. Just take a look at home bad the american health system is compared to ours. The NHS is one fo the biggest employers in the world. It's fantastic value for money. Now just look at what will happen to it thanks to Tory reforms. I dread to think.

nib95

Banned
Your last paragraph can be easily refuted with the following points.

1. Ask farmers just how much they like the supermarkets and their price fixing. The reply will be filled with swear words.
2. Some government departments make the government money.
3. Ask most rail passengers if they like the privitised companies the answer will be no. The same of the water companies. Privitisation actually made the systems worse not better. Water companies made huge profits and failed to invest properly in improving services.
4. Thanks to the privitisation of services I get pestered with phone calls all the time. I don;t want to fucking hear about your offers British gas.
5. Bizarrely enough the public sector is not horribly inefficient. It's actaully well run. Just take a look at home bad the american health system is compared to ours. The NHS is one fo the biggest employers in the world. It's fantastic value for money. Now just look at what will happen to it thanks to Tory reforms. I dread to think.

Pretty much. Yea NHS has its kinks, but it's actually an amazing institute. I dread to think how it would be if it was privatised, probably like British Gas.. average to poor service but with the highest prices on the market. Literally the worst. Even British rail, I compare it to transport in other European countries, same thing, extortionate prices but sub standard service, reliability and offerings.

By contrast, NHS is one of the best things about this country even with its minor issues.

pulsemyne

As for the politics of the Uk it runs like this.
Everyone in the UK is too the left of the US. Even the Tories (though they'd like to be as far to the right as possible if they could get away with it)
Tories and Lib dems run a laughably bad coalition government.
After the last election there was hung parliment. That means that noone had an overall majority to run the country. This resulted in several days of talks between the biggest party (the Tories) and the third place party (The Liberal democrats). The other party (Labour) which had been the government for 13 years was more favoured by people to form a coalition with the Lib dems due to being seen as closer to the Libs than the Tories were.
However the Lib dems decided that the Tories were their preferred option and ended up joining them in government. A deal was brokered between the Tories and Libs. A deal that was laughably shit. Thanks to the Liberals desperation to become relevant in politics they were prepared to sacrifice anything and everything they supposedly believed in. Now, 2 1/2 years into their agreement the Lib dems are hated with a passion. It was thought they would bring some sense to a Tory lead government. Instead they have been seen as being spineless.
Labour meanwhile have pretty much been sitting back and watching the government self destruct.
The conservatives have been having a whale of a time in government slowly destroying things in the name of austerity. Britian needed to cut its deficit and so their answer was to cut back on spending. The problem is that the Tories have no clue how to do it properly. They prefer the idea of Slash and burn. This has resulted in damaging cuts and a double dip recession. They have no plans for economic growth at all. This has resulted in them being unpopular. There is also the air that the tories are true upper class toff twats. This weeks police story being a symptom of such feelings. Also no matter how bad people are at their job in government they never seem to resign. Ever. Jeremy hunt being an example. He got PROMOTED despite being a sleazy shit. The man is hated.
Still its no all bad.

CyclopsRock said:
Oh, and by the way, we do let the private sector take care of “serious” things. Food is pretty serious, and supermarkets are about the most perfect example of the free market working well. They offer an enormous range of choice for the consumer, with all price points well supplied and choice and competition within those price points. For your average consumer in the UK, a free market on food is unimaginably preferable to a state-sanctioned system. Likewise, most people are better off now they can choose whether to fly with Easy Jet or Virgin, go to o2 or Vodafone, Virgin Media of Sky broadband. All these things – food, infrastructure – are very “serious”, and they're all provided excellently by the private sector.

Holy shit, is this a parody?

Locke_211

Everyone in the UK is too the left of the US. Even the Tories (though they'd like to be as far to the right as possible if they could get away with it)
After the last election there was hung parliment. That means that noone had an overall majority to run the country. This resulted in several days of talks between the biggest party (the Tories) and the third place party (The Liberal democrats). The other party (Labour) which had been the government for 13 years was more favoured by people to form a coalition with the Lib dems due to being seen as closer to the Libs than the Tories were.
However the Lib dems decided that the Tories were their preferred option and ended up joining them in government. .

Well Labour and the Lib Dems still wouldn't have had enough seats for a majority - even in a coalition it would have been a minority government. And one between the two losing parties. It seemed to me that people felt that any coalition should contain the party that actually won, even if not outright.

kitch9

Banned
However the Lib dems decided that the Tories were their preferred option and ended up joining them in government. A deal was brokered between the Tories and Libs. A deal that was laughably shit. Thanks to the Liberals desperation to become relevant in politics they were prepared to sacrifice anything and everything they supposedly believed in. Now, 2 1/2 years into their agreement the Lib dems are hated with a passion. It was thought they would bring some sense to a Tory lead government. Instead they have been seen as being spineless.
Labour meanwhile have pretty much been sitting back and watching the government self destruct.
The conservatives have been having a whale of a time in government slowly destroying things in the name of austerity. Britian needed to cut its deficit and so their answer was to cut back on spending. The problem is that the Tories have no clue how to do it properly. They prefer the idea of Slash and burn. This has resulted in damaging cuts and a double dip recession. They have no plans for economic growth at all. This has resulted in them being unpopular. There is also the air that the tories are true upper class toff twats. This weeks police story being a symptom of such feelings. Also no matter how bad people are at their job in government they never seem to resign. Ever. Jeremy hunt being an example. He got PROMOTED despite being a sleazy shit. The man is hated.
Still its no all bad.

You should add Labour have two bumbling fools at the helm, which a lot will struggle to vote for...

Private companies do not invest in areas where there is not sufficient business, as such the privatisation of telecoms remains a failure and lacks massively behind Europe. They have targets of 20mb by 2015 we have targets of 2mb by 2020 (which I'd bet wont be met). It's the small businesses that are suffering most out of this. We still have war era telecoms in our village, no schedule on fibre to cabinet.

Government spending is short termist at best. Subsidising mostly in major cities like Edinburgh where the private sector is already making plenty of cash. Rural areas becoming increasingly digitally isolated.

Dambrosi

Banned
I think you mean "have had two bumbling fools at the helm" but don't any longer...
Psst, I think he's badmouthing your mates Ed and Ed...

Still its no all bad.
*cue Life Of Brian ending on YouTube*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Wx230gYJw

kitch9

Banned
I think you mean "have had two bumbling fools at the helm" but don't any longer...

Nope the two idiots they have at the minute are difficult to vote for.. Milliband is my towns MP, he's always been an idiot..

Blair for his faults at least had some X factor, I voted Labour twice because of him, since then Labour leaders have just been blithering idiots without any personality ...

Dambrosi

Banned
Nope the two idiots they have at the minute are difficult to vote for.. Milliband is my towns MP, he's always been an idiot..

Blair for his faults at least had some X factor, I voted Labour twice because of him, since then Labour leaders have just been blithering idiots without any personality ...
You voted for the God-bothering, faux-Tory warmonger/criminal. Surprise us more, kitch.

Even though I don't really rate Ed M, at least he isn't Blair. That's a major feather in his cap IMO.

kitch9

Banned
You voted for the God-bothering, faux-Tory warmonger/criminal. Surprise us more, kitch.

Even though I don't really rate Ed M, at least he isn't Blair. That's a major feather in his cap IMO.

Blair made his mistakes, and took his party centre-left in their thinking, but he had charisma, and the political position was mostly correct for the country at the time... IMO of course. Labour had no chance once GB got the reins...

I don't believe there's a god either, but each to their own.

Yes, those would be much better provided by the government....

It's not about being provided better by the government, it's about stating "supermarkets are a great example of the free market".

Unless you mean a great example of how the free market is a load of bollocks.

I liked Blair, I still do. Even I'm having trouble convincing myself to vote for Labour at a general election with Milliband in place, and I'd consider myself a lifelong Labour supporter.

He's going to make a laughable prime minister. He has John Major levels of a complete lack of presence.

Christina Lineen (Jeremy Hunts new advisor) brief CV:
2008-2010 Aide to Lansley
2010-2012 Circle Holdings Plc (media)
2012-present Advisor to Hunt

Suppose you could say no big surprise, private industry attracts ex-public sector workers all the time but visa versa, too messy. Writing is on the wall imo.

Dambrosi

Banned
Blair made his mistakes, and took his party centre-left in their thinking, but he had charisma, and the political position was mostly correct for the country at the time... IMO of course. Labour had no chance once GB got the reins...

I don't believe there's a god either, but each to their own.

I liked Blair, I still do. Even I'm having trouble convincing myself to vote for Labour at a general election with Milliband in place, and I'd consider myself a lifelong Labour supporter.

He's going to make a laughable prime minister. He has John Major levels of a complete lack of presence.
Charisma, huh? So that's what gets you two to vote for someone, is it? As for me, I couldn't care less if a candidate has "charisma", especially if they use it to persuade people to sign off on illegal wars - government isn't a frigging theatre troupe. All I care about is if I generally agree with them as a whole or on certain subjects, if they're competent, and if I can trust them to carry their policies out properly - "charisma" or "complete lack of presence" be damned.

As for Milliband, though - give it eight months. :p

Christina Lineen (Jeremy Hunts new advisor) brief CV:
2008-2010 Aide to Lansley
2010-2012 Circle Holdings Plc (media)
2012-present Advisor to Hunt

Suppose you could say no big surprise, private industry attracts ex-public sector workers all the time but visa versa, too messy. Writing is on the wall imo.
Sounds like another political advisor scandal waiting to happen. You'd think they'd learn.

Not just charisma, I think Milliband is inept.

He's incapable of framing an argument in an effective manner and struggles to put any of his points across. I really genuinely believe he would be a step backwards, even when compared to an odious toad like Cameron. I really struggle to see how anyone can think he's "competent" because right now Labour look like one of the least compelling oppositions I have ever seen, and that's vs a (hated) government that's falling apart at the seams.

With almost anyone else at the helm Labour would walk the next election. As it is they'll struggle to gain a majority. But I guess this is what happens when you let the trade unions pick someone they can control.

I like Ed Milliband much more than his brother, and I find him more appealing than Brown or Ed Balls that's for sure. I think he's intelligent, and I think its probably to his credit that he isn't as media savvy or capable of being as slimey as some others... I don't think Labour even have their foot on the gas at the moment, they don't really need to. Nearer 2015, or a coalition collapse, I think we'll see them ramp up attacks in a big way. They're just letting the shit / ammunition accumulate at the moment.

Sounds like another political advisor scandal waiting to happen. You'd think they'd learn.

Why would they learn though when there've been absolutely no consequences whatsoever so far? Bad press and damaging inquiries seem like water off a ducks back to this government

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Ok, here goes ...

Political structure

The Queen is (nominally) in charge. The "Queen in Parliament" - namely the Queen, the House of Commons and the House of Lords must approve all legislation, though the Queens' assent is usually automatic and the Lords can be overridden.

The Commons is elected, one MP for each constituency. The Lords is part hereditary and part (the majority) appointed.

There are no separate elections for the executive, nobody votes for the Prime Minister for example. The Prime Minister is appointed by the Queen, almost always being the leader of the party which has a majority in the Commons. The executive is chosen by the Prime Minister out of whoever has been elected to the Commons or appointed to the Lords.

So there's sort of an inbuilt end-date to any government when you run out of competent people having recycled all the incompetent ones.

Political Parties

All of them are to the "left" of anything in the USA, being in support of significant State intervention in at least healthcare and education.

The Conservative Party ("Tories") have a bit of a reputation, not entirely deserved, for being on the side of the rich versus the poor and tend towards tax-cutting, small (well, at least relatively small) government and free markets - and also tend towards retaining liberties that already exist such as foxhunting. Don't in the main like the European Union.

The Labour Party ("Labour") is historically from the Marxist/Unions end with a tendency towards State ownership and redistribution, until recently it discovered an attraction to the markets and attracting capital. Champion of the working people except for the working people who earn too much, who don't count obviously.

The Liberal Democrats ("Liberals" or "LibDems") are a bit of a mixed bunch: largely fiscally conservative, economically libertarian and socially inclusive - but until recently have been out of Government for pushing 100 years. One to watch.

pulsemyne

The only thing to watch with the Libs is too see just how far they will sink into political oblivion. They are a dead party walking.
In more comparisons to recent episodes of the thick of it the Libs just started a bank!.

Addendum to what I said about rural broadband http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19696904 BBC coincidentally reiterated what I'm saying. I must've got the dates the wrong way around but even so 2015 is shocking. Must be 2018/2020 that the EU has set for 20mb which the BBC article failed to compare.
No real scandal, she's clearly the best woman for the job. The problem is that they don't listen to the public about it. If it takes sinister dealings with private firms for the public and media to start giving a shit about the NHS I really have to question if I'm dreaming. It's like the world has to be a soap opera full of caricatures for someone to act.

Was just listening to Clegg talk and was pretty surprised at the rapturous applause. Can any Lib Dem supporter tell me what was so exciting / appealing about what he was saying?

Really sounded like a whole lot of nothing / soundbite central to me. I also had to have a bit of a laugh that he's making out that they're responsible for putting the economy back on track. :D

Edit - Ashdown got a real cheer. How did that perpetual loser suddenly become so popular?

Wes

venison crêpe
Really sounded like a whole lot of nothing / soundbite central to me.

It's a party political conference, I'm sure you didn't expect anything else.

If I was voting for a party I'd probably pick LD now because despite their tuition fee turnaround it's not like the Tories or Labour haven't broken promises in the past either or are offering anything spectacular going forward. (In reality I'll vote for the candidate who actually appears to give a damn about my local area).

I don't tend to pay attention to them, just happened to pick it up on the radio when I was driving home. So not... not really got any preconceptions on these things one way or another.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
He is only delaying the inevitable.

But he does it so well!

Would be interesting (or maybe the opposite of interesting) to see a civil trial between Abu Hamza and Tim Langdell with both of them trying to delay everything forever.

Nick Clegg tells the Liberal Democrats to have the "courage" to stick with the coalition and be a party of "power" rather than "protest".
Captain of a sinking ship. What a deluded fool.
"The choice between the party we were, and the party we are becoming, is a false one. The past is gone and it isn't coming back. If voters want a party of opposition - a 'stop the world I want to get off' party - they've got plenty of options, but we are not one of them.
Wow...

Top Bottom