• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
We've never ever, ever had this kind of response. Is this a kind of anti-English thing? It could be," he said to one reporter.

lmao, whatever you need to do to justify it to yourself buddy

It wasn't. Not entirely. Many were there to protest at Ukip's stance on immigration and the political backgrounds of Ukip's motley collection of local council candidates; others were there to protest against his party's obscure economic policies. There was no violence, no punches thrown, no missiles lobbed.

Rachel, a young woman in a wheelchair who had wheeled herself on to the Royal Mile to blockade the second taxi Farage tried to take, said simply: "Ukip are just bullshit."

But some were independence campaigners there to remind him of his nationality: after one, standing just a few feet from Farage, invited the Ukip leader to "shove your
Tears of joy streaming down my virtual face. Today is a beautiful day.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
What's UKIP's monetary policy? They favour the BofE or a gold standard?

We grind up immigrant flesh into what they have coined "meat-money" to spend exclusively on national heritage items such as darling knitted gollywogs and old WW2 propaganda posters lampooning the Jerrys..

Volotaire

We grind up immigrant flesh into what they have coined "meat-money" to spend exclusively on national heritage items such as darling knitted gollywogs and old WW2 propaganda posters lampooning the Jerries..

Lols being serious here. I can't really find their policies on that matter, of course only on the euro.

PJV3

Lols being serious here. I can't really find their policies on that matter, of course only on the euro.

There policies are mental, they're thinking of borrowing policy from parties around the world, because the party is crammed with fruitcakes who can't agree on anything.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan

Doubt they've even thought that far ahead 'cause they don't actually give a shit what their policies (or who their candidates) are. All about dat protest vote and quickening the march righward.

That said, given how hard Farage's and RON PAUL's acolytes suck each other off I wouldn't be surprised.

8bit

Knows the Score
Farage gets interviewed on BBC Radio Scotland, gets frustrated at perceived Anti-English sentiment and hangs up on the interviewer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22566180

Asked about how many elected representatives he has in Scotland, Mr Farage said: "Absolutely none, but rather more than the BBC. We could have had this interview in England a couple of years ago, although I wouldn't have met with such hatred as I'm getting from your questions.

Frankly, I've had enough of this interview, goodbye."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...rced-him-to-take-refuge-in-Edinburgh-pub.html

RedShift

Urgh I'm no fan of UKIP but those "protesters" are idiots. There's plenty of problems with UKIPs policies, threatening them and yelling SCUM SCUM SCUM at them is childish and stupid.

And that BBC presenter was being incredibly obtuse as well, I don't blame him for hanging up.

The whole thing is shameful and will only make UKIP more sympathetic to their target audience.

The Scottish, demonstrating their low tolerance for bullshit, and Farage, demonstrating his ability in generating exceedingly large quantities of bullshit. No wonder the leader of BNPlite got chased out of Scotland.

The Scottish, demonstrating their low tolerance for bullshit, and Farage, demonstrating his ability in generating exceedingly large quantities of bullshit. No wonder the leader of BNPlite got chased out of Scotland.

Alex-Salmond.jpg

?

Acorn

Well, maybe, I was just suggesting that the good people of Scotland's tolerance for bullshit isn't that low!
He's a big fish in a small pond anyone that could debate him well is in Westminster.

Oh I hate Salmond and the snp in general - always have. But i'm in favour of independence which I was against until relatively recently.

defel

Salmond is a used car salesman. But it's completely crazy to even compare him to Farage.

Edit: I hope this means ukip will become Engkip, kick us out England I beg thee.

Salmond and Farage are actually pretty similar. Politically opposite but they have a lot in common.

Acorn

Salmond and Farage are actually pretty similar. Politically opposite but they have a lot in common.
Only thing they have in common is they are both populists (the reason why I don't like him and snp or single issue parties in general).

PJV3

Urgh I'm no fan of UKIP but those "protesters" are idiots. There's plenty of problems with UKIPs policies, threatening them and yelling SCUM SCUM SCUM at them is childish and stupid.

And that BBC presenter was being incredibly obtuse as well, I don't blame him for hanging up.

The whole thing is shameful and will only make UKIP more sympathetic to their target audience.

The English flocking(even more) to UKIP would suit the SNP down to the ground.

It would be pretty interesting if Scotland became independent and in any EU referendum, we voted to leave/opt out.

What would be the realistic fallout from both happening? Lost influence is certainly one, would the City suffer from backlash from Germany/France?

PJV3

It would be pretty interesting if Scotland became independent and in any EU referendum, we voted to leave/opt out.

What would be the realistic fallout from both happening? Lost influence is certainly one, would the City suffer from backlash from Germany/France?

It's interesting.

England would certainly be diminished, it depends if the EU want to play hardball, and freeze out the City or not.

I wonder what would happen to the US-EU free trade agreement, I'm assuming Cameron is thinking ahead and is laying opt ins etc.

I don't think it will be that bad, but politics is a messy buisness, so I'm not ruling out a bust up if the debate in the UK becomes unpleasant.

Walshicus

Don't understand where the Salmond hate is coming from. I'd like to see someone name a more successful party leader in any of our countries.

Locke_211

A lot of people vote for UKIP because of the sense that you're "not allowed to say what you really think any more" and all that. Seeing a UKIP leader attacked like that is just going to intensify that belief.

Jackpot

Banned
Farage said:
If this is the face of Scottish nationalism, it's a pretty ugly nation.

And now all the Scottish dailys have their next headline.

I think Farage is going to play up the acrimony between England and Scotland for more support down South.

edit: Tories showing off their compassion for their fellow man:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/may/17/no-demand-same-sex-marriage-philip-hammond

No huge demand for gay marriage, says Philip Hammond

double edit: seems the real Farage quote is

"If this is the face of Scottish nationalism, it's a pretty ugly picture."

bad Guardian.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Farage's whining reminds me of those brainless EDL numpties who call the anti-fascism protesters who turn up at their demonstrations pub crawls fascists.

The worst part is the handwringing down here rather than the pointing and laughing that should be taking place. But that's what you get when the media is absolutely determined to legitimise UKIP. Imagine what it would be like if it was Nick Griffin.

I think Farage is going to play up the acrimony between England and Scotland for more support down South.

I don't think that'll work, if indeed it's the case. No one down here dislikes Scotland.

It's a bit like the Millwall vs Chelsea rivalry - it's only a rivalry to Millwall, ya know? Chelsea care more about United, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc.

Arksy

CHEEZMO™;57951844 said:
I think pro-indy was a little over 31% last time I checked. Apparently the pro-indy campaign has been pretty shit tho and hasn't really been doing all that much. Still some time for things to change, however.

Edit: lmao this just popped up on my feed https://twitter.com/ThingsUKIPSays/status/335401416699031553

I've heard some commentators say that the SNP are acting as if they don't want it to pass. To be honest I think the UK's best bet is to Federate or have a semi-federal structure. It makes sense really.

What are the current opinion polls telling us about the desire for Scottish Independence atm?

Most come back with support in the low to mid 30%'s I think (here's one from last month). So not looking hugely likely to happen. But there's still enough time for that to creep over 50% by the end of next year. I wouldn't put a bet on either outcome at this point.

Garjon

I've heard some commentators say that the SNP are acting as if they don't want it to pass. To be honest I think the UK's best bet is to Federate or have a semi-federal structure. It makes sense really.

It wouldn't surprise me if they just used ideological anti-UK sentiment to get into power; anyone can see that it is a much better deal to stay with us.

The way of things currently is that the Yes Campaign are well intentioned but a bit amateurish and on the back foot, whereas the no campaign are professional but utterly utterly negative and depressing. That's getting results currently, but I'd think in the thick of the proper campaign they'll have to have more than that, and vice versa the yes campaign need to be more attacking and on the front foot.

RedShift

What happens with the 2015 election if Scotland vote for independence in 2014? They won't actually enact it until 2016, so do they get to vote for Westminster MPs?

God I hope they vote No. I know it's tracking low in the polls but there's a whole year left, and the Yes campaign can ship Scottish actors over from their homes in LA for support instead of Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling who seem to be the biggest names coming out for No. Not to mention there'll be another year of Conservative government pushing Scotland away.

Walshicus

It wouldn't surprise me if they just used ideological anti-UK sentiment to get into power; anyone can see that it is a much better deal to stay with us.
What lunacy is this? How could you possibly think Scotland gets a good deal out of being tied to Westminster and the corpse of the UK?

Top Bottom