• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

kmag

Javid is a good addition, but Nicky Morgan is not. Horrible person. Anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, anti-civil liberties. Can't think of a worse person to take over the "minister for women" job (not that I attach any value to said job). Javid has been given the equalities brief because Morgan was seen as unsuitable.

On the other hand, Andrea Leadsom has been added to the Treasury team. Awesome addition. She is really smart, I was at a talk she gave a couple of years ago, she seems to get it on public finances and expenditure. She also has real world financial experience with a history in banking and she has held very senior positions in a male dominated industry which is an achievement worth shouting about.

Just what the world needs more bankers making policy.

Nicktendo86

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/w...wn-its-citizens-raises-questions.html?hp&_r=0

All of this just to appeal to UKIP voters?

This is almost too cynical even for Dave.
What has it got to do with ukip? Is Australia, Canada and Holland looking at similar legislation to appeal to ukip voters? What are you on about? Feel like I am missing something here...

Edit: I should say however I am very uneasy with the legislation, we need to have a proper debate and ensure the government can't exploit it. I'm not opposed in theory however, if a British citizen goes abroad in order to train to come back and kill, I don't really care if they lose the right to live here.

Considering she will be economic secretary to the treasury someone with experience in finance is better than someone who is not.

It's going to be an interesting first day for her though, I heard today that she once told her new boss (George Osborne) to "fuck off". That's going to be fun...

What has it got to do with ukip? Is Australia, Canada and Holland looking at similar legislation to appeal to ukip voters? What are you on about? Feel like I am missing something here...

Edit: I should say however I am very uneasy with the legislation, we need to have a proper debate and ensure the government can't exploit it. I'm not opposed in theory however, if a British citizen goes abroad in order to train to come back and kill, I don't really care if they lose the right to live here.

Cameron's revoking citizenship at record numbers in order to appear "tough on Muslims" to potential Tory voters defecting to UKIP.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/10/w...wn-its-citizens-raises-questions.html?hp&_r=0

All of this just to appeal to UKIP voters?

This is almost too cynical even for Dave.

Yea that is pretty bad, and I don't think it is ever justified to disown citizens, we don't have pre-crime and we don't want pre-crime.
What’s next uuhoh you surfed on an al-Qaida website, bye bye civil liberties!
uuhoh you went to a BNP meeting, not having you as a British citizen anymore.
If people commit a crime they go to prison just like they have always done. Citizenship is not something one should be able to give and take wily nily as one pleases.

Volotaire

Seems to have worked for Osborne. Unless he's just sitting the office folding towels while someone else works at pumping up the housing bubble.

Do you really think Osbourne is analysing the fundamental economic data to form policy ideas? Yes he may have the final say on policy ideas to match the party economic philosophy, and a large say on departmental budgets and appointments, but he's got a team of economists for a reason.

I also don't understand this attitude in relation to politicians' making policy.

Seems to have worked for Osborne. Unless he's just sitting the office folding towels while someone else works at pumping up the housing bubble.

Hmph? This whole conversation is about someone moving from the Treasury department - Javid - who does know how it works, which is why this is something of a blow for the Treasury. Osborne doesn't sit there writing regulatory documents.

You could argue that nothing related to the culture secretary qualifies as a human right, but this does fall under the remit of his job title and supporting a scheme that restricts the access of culture only to the rich does undermine his job.

Ticket touts block buy tickets using bots, selling out concerts in minutes and then jack up the prices. The only way to curb it is to reduce the profit they can make.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yeah, except they were completely, utterly wrong.

Just because growth is happening doesn't mean that 'austerity' was effective. It could be that growth is lower than it could have been because of economic cuts. It is a difficult argument to make, but it is at least worth considering.

I tend to believe that the economy would have recovered irregardless of who was in power, although I don't think Labour could plausibly have run an effective government (in coalition or otherwise) because they were a shambles by election time.

The economy is still worse than where it was in 2010, the recovery would've probably happened much sooner under a Labour government. I don't think Darling would've sent the British economy into a full blown economic depression from 2011 to 2013.

Nicktendo86

The economy is still worse than where it was in 2010, the recovery would've probably happened much sooner under a Labour government. I don't think Darling would've sent the British economy into a full blown economic depression from 2011 to 2013.
Complete and utter nonsense. Only recession to occur was under Labour and revised figures show it was worse than originally thought. Had best growth of g7 last year and predicted to again next.

No, the recession was not all Labour's fault as it was a global downturn, but we were woefully unprepared. Facts are they said we would have 4 million unemployed under Tories, never happened. They said we had a triple dip recession, turns out we didn't even have a double. Said economy would continue to flatline, not happened. Said inflation would get out of control, its under target. Havw the Tories been perfect? Far from it, but I would trust them with the economy any day before labour.

Jezbollah

ed-balls-pa.jpg

He's gonna blow!

More evidence to my belief that Farage and UKIP as a whole will flame out during the next election campaign, this year's European Parliament elections will probably be their peak to be honest.

TCRS

Banned
Miliband is an atheist, he's talking about his ethnic identity. Disraeli also considered himself a jew despite his religion.

It's especially ironic given the whole One Nation thing. Both are ethnic jews, neither are religious jews. If Miliband is a "Jewish" prime minister, so was Disraeli. If he isn't, nor was Disraeli. But Miliband can't be the first.

Not that it's remotely important at all, so I'm not sure why he even brought it up.

Re: the IMF, I think the thing is that they actively said that Osborne was "playing with fire" a year ago. That's not "This has been harmful" or "this may have repercussions" - it's saying that "things may get worse" which has obviously not happened - au contraire. It's hard to square what they said with the UK now having the highest growth on the G7, whether you think he should have been spending more over the last four years or not.

Nicktendo86

It is just another bandwagon for him to jump on. He will try to say he will be the first woman pm next.

In other news, just got back from the backyard comedy club in my home back of the woods, bethnal green. Lee nelson was on trying some material he is going to use on his new tour, was hilarious.

Lib Dems apparently at an all time low in polling, only getting 7%.

If the Lib Dems go through 2015 without losing 20+ seats I will be shocked.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Their overall share of the vote will drop quite substantially; that seems uncontroversial. But I do believe they will not lose too many seats. Many of their MPs are popular on a local level and I believe that will limit the damage they receive. Ironically, I can see FPTP saving them.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
They may even pick up a few. Camborne & Redruth seems likely for example with a Conservative majority of only 66 votes, and there are a several others similarly small.

Might even do them some good in the long term - they've been the protest party of choice for so long (and attracted rather a ragbag of supporters) that they are a bit out-of-focus on policy. Experience of government will help, and the need to get their policies straight and to target seats properly will help more.

I wish them well. Might even vote for them in this Lab/Con marginal.

Volotaire

That reminds me, I have to catch up on that, love me some HIGNFY. They are usually up on YT reasonably quickly.

You might as well just check BBC iPlayer, given their quicker turnaround.

Also I am surprised at the accuracy of the exit polls compared to the 2010 Election results. Terrifyingly accurate.

kitch9

Banned

Yes in a worldwide recession with banks struggling all over the globe we alone would have been a beacon of growth under a Labour government,

Now 'scuse me whilst I go have another toot on my fairy dust....

Top Bottom