• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Enosh said:
now I don't have a lot of knowledge about UK politics, given that i am not from there, but what the fuck has the prince to do with any of this?

someone was daft enough to drive him through all the trouble on the way to a theatre event (royal variety performance)

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Reno7728 said:
Isn't the owner of Top Shop a massive tax dodger as well?

Yes.

Salazar

radioheadrule83 said:
The graffiti will be cleaned, the windows will be fixed, parliament square will be cleaned up, and Top Shop on Oxford Street will resume business and clean up as well... it's Christmas...

whereas this change in the student fees system is more permanent.

Violent student tantrums can't in the slightest, the most minute degree, be licenced because the damage is reparable at someone else's expense. This is what 'indefensible' signifies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
FFS, London streets are in a mess, but it's a bit of paint on Charles's car that gets David Cameron out, and the media going after the home secretary for an enquiry.

I'm not saying they are licensed, I'm just saying that the media and people in general are going to over-react and cry crocodile tears out of over-sensitive sentiment... I don't agree with what they've done and I do think its disgusting, but I just know its going to make the news unbearable to watch for days.

Just saw Teresa May's response. She is fucking useless... could she not respond to all this in a human way rather than just repeating the same line over and over?

DECK'ARD said:
Oh come on, this is ridiculous. There is no justification for all this. Anger against the Lib Dems is just the excuse. Their case is confused with no alternative offered, it's basically asking for their cake and eat it.

You want practically everyone going to University? Then it will have to be paid for somehow. Blame Labour for shovelling everyone through University to score political bullet points with the nice side effect of keeping unemployment figures down as well. If it's free at the point of entry and are paying a negligible amount off each month till you are in your 50's then so be it, it's your choice to go in the first place. And there is no magic alternative.

Compared with something like the Poll Tax riots, which was a grossly unfair system as well as political suicide, this is just a load of self-entitled ignorant students running around London trashing the place waving vague 'no cuts' banners.

They are far more insult to democracy than any attempt to try and make a slightly smaller mess out of the already big mess that education and the country in general is in.

THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUUF!!

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Top Shop.

I think they are opening one here in Chicago. It's lke H&M?

Why...why would they attack that?

And....why would anyone drive the Prince through that crap?

Anarchists generally mess any well intended protest up.

Deadman

They attacked topshop because its owner tax dodged on £1.2billion of income. Now he advises other companies and people on how to do the same.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Why...why would they attack that?

The owner is accused of avoiding paying as much tax as possible in the UK, running into hundreds of millions worth of tax he could be paying that he's not. There was another separate protest there several days back.

As for Prince Charles's car, I don't think it was intended to drive him through any protests, but there were smaller groups popping up in various places causing trouble, and I guess his car happened to be near one such group.

Ashes

Banned
The absense of the 'right' solution does not make right an unfair levy on students. I don't see where people get off on allowing a new creation of debt onto students to make up for cuts in funding, because of a recession caused by greedy bankers and other tax dodging corporate entities, of which some, if not all support the tory government.
Graduates do contribute to the economic wellbeing of this country as well as encouraging social mobility.
This the same government that has announced cuts to higher education funding by up to 80%; for me this hike only serves to justify that loss of funding. What makes it worse is that it is only English students who are to suffer the debt; the welsh and the scottish are both better off. So solutions exist in Britain within British universities, unless you are English it seems.

Garjon

radioheadrule83 said:
I'm not saying they are licensed, I'm just saying that the media and people in general are going to over-react and cry crocodile tears out of over-sensitive sentiment... I don't agree with what they've done and I do think its disgusting, but I just know its going to make the news unbearable to watch for days.

Just saw Teresa May's response. She is fucking useless... could she not respond to all this in a human way rather than just repeating the same line over and over?
I see what you mean, I have no emotional attachment to images and icons of the country. I do understand though that a lot of people do, whether it's due to the media blowing it out of proportion or not and that the students will end up losing a ton of support as a result.

DECK'ARD said:
Very eloquently put.

Although it would have more impact if you'd scrawled it on a war memorial in town, I think ours escaped today.

Your opinion on further education is ignorant, the reply I gave seem to be an appropriate one.

And I'll give you an alternative to the increase in fees:

Give every adult in the country a rifle so we can protect ourselves from the "Commies", then spend the rest of the Trident budget on educating our youth so that the UK has some cultural significance in the future, and does not become an insignificant blip on the World map full of junior accountants and lawyers because they were the most "financially viable" degrees to gain.

There are cuts that also occur with these increases, and it will mean that the UK will become a nobody, insignificant in every field; the only people that are ignorant during these protests are the people that believe they are about just an increase in fees.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ashes1396 said:
The absense of the 'right' solution does not make right an unfair levy on students. I don't see where people get off on allowing a new creation of debt onto students to make up for cuts in funding, because of a recession caused by greedy bankers and other tax dodging corporate entities, of which some, if not all support the tory government.
Graduates do contribute to the economic wellbeing of this country as well as encouraging social mobility.
This the same government that has announced cuts to higher education funding by up to 80%; for me this hike only serves to justify that loss of funding. What makes it worse is that it is only English students who are to suffer the debt; the welsh and the scottish are both better off. So solutions exist in Britain within British universities, unless you are English it seems.

Yeah, well short of a time machine to go back and undo the deregulation and practices that both the Tories and New Labour encouraged, we can't really do anything about that. The economy is fucked.

And as for unfair, the Poll Tax was unfair. This doesn't even come close, and when they do graduate the repayments are so low as to not matter against say self-inflicted credit card bills.

The education situation has mainly been caused by Labour encouraging literally everyone to go to University, whether it was appropriate or beneficial for them or not. Purely for political reasons, social mobility went down under Labour. In doing so you stretched Universities, ran out of funding, and devalued degrees in the process. To the point where you have a catch 22 situation where you need a degree to get a job just because everyone is expected to have a degree. University courses sprung up which offer very little in real world value to cater for people who shouldn't really be at University in the first place.

Labour wanted to score political points, obsessed with league tables, percentages and statistics. Education like the NHS was used a political football, creating a financial timebomb in the process.

All the recession did was bring it all out into the limelight a lot sooner. Whoever got in would be having to deal with this. Running around London waving no cuts banners and pissing on Churchill is missing the big picture. You can't have your cake and eat it.

Ashes1396 said:
I don't see where people get off on allowing a new creation of debt onto students to make up for cuts in funding, because of a recession caused by greedy bankers and other tax dodging corporate entities, of which some, if not all support the tory government.

Because since the election, a lot of people on here have gone pro-tory as chinner said a few pages back. They don't have to pay this increase, and cuts are yet to affect them (they will eventually) so they buy into all this crap about these policies being 'progressive' and 'for the good of the country' which is complete bull. It's for the good of the market, not my country.

People moaning and groaning about 'bloody students protesting GET OFF MY LAWN!' (the cenotaph thing is a disgrace, disrespecting the war dead is a big NO.) all i have to say is what would you want them to do? Sit at home or in the bar and just 'take it' like everyone else? Fuck that shit, it's great we're seeing France/Spain/Greece style riots at last. Someone's finally fighting this ideological agenda from Call me Dave.

"They came first for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

"Then they came for the future Students,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't going to be a Student.

Then they came for the Public Sector Workers,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Public Sector Worker.

Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Exaggerated? Maybe a little, but I've given up arguing with the Tory Youth on here, so consider it my final word on the fees subject. I'd be interested to see what avaya (who is an actual economist I believe?) thinks about all this shite, because from what I've read in the FT etc. it's a disaster witing to happen.

Saw that too! So funny.. same guy calling the police liars... the way his head kept popping into shot was class!

26th of March could be a big one. TUC protest in London with a lot of Public Sector Worker unions represented, and about a month before a lot of the big initiatives start to kick in - like the redundancy scheme in the MOD etc.

avaya

DECK'ARD said:
The education situation has mainly been caused by Labour encouraging literally everyone to go to University, whether it was appropriate or beneficial for them or not. Purely for political reasons, social mobility went down under Labour. In doing so you stretched Universities, ran out of funding, and devalued degrees in the process. To the point where you have a catch 22 situation where you need a degree to get a job just because everyone is expected to have a degree. University courses sprung up which offer very little in real world value to cater for people who shouldn't really be at University in the first place.

Labour wanted to score political points, obsessed with league tables, percentages and statistics. Education like the NHS was used a political football, creating a financial timebomb in the process.

Higher education costs rise much faster than inflation due to international competition. Our universities need to spend more each year to stay relevant. This is where the funding gap arises. Not from more students attending. That has such a pathetic marginal effect.

The same is true of the NHS, costs rise much faster than inflation and it is a service where they do not fall in future. They just go up the more you cover. You can mitigate it with the monopsony setting prices at which to purchase but it comes down to spending. You need to spend a lot of money and never relent.

The economy is not fucked. This fucking horrendous bullshit is being peddled around. The economy is being held hostage by financial raiders but no one ever talks about this shit with you people because it so far beyond the usual BS economic arguments being thrown about. Only the Germans have fucking clocked on to it but the rest of the Anglo-Saxon world is so full of cretins that they will shill like crazy for the synthetic naked shorts being carried out by the shadow banking system.

Moobabe

I have a more general question regarding university funding - for a lot of arts and humanities subjects (and maybe for several others I'm not sure) - contact time is SO minimal and is given the guise of "self-directed study" - what is it that a lot of students are paying for - even BEFORE this increase comes?

If you're paying 9k a year for 6 hours contact time a week? Not to mention lengthy uni breaks - and what if you're not on campus? Or is my 9k a year subsidising people who have more contact time? Bare in mind this is a "tuition fees" increase - are students going to be getting 3 times as much tutoring after this measure goes through? Or 3 times the quality of teaching? If not, which I suspect to be the case, then why aren't Universities required to show its students where their tuition fees are going?

Wes

venison crêpe
It's sad because no one will be talking about the Lib Dems inner turmoil. Just royal security. Especially before "the big day".
Talking about the Queen's Christmas Speech of course

Ashes

Banned
One of the things this 'financial support' system achieves is the very thing the current treasury is aiming to rid itself off. The issue of complexity. A poor student, if he or she goes to a £'9000' a year UNI', will pay nothing first year as regards tuition fee, due to a grant from the lottery, pay nothing second year due to university funding as part of an agreement (currently pending) with the government for charging above £6000, and then a third year, paid for by the government through loans.
So a student going to UNI' won't really know whether he or she is going to be in debts of £16,000 or £38000.
Further to the loss of government funding, I personally predict, that most if not all universities will go up to this threshold; and I only say this because if the government is wrong, and I'm predicting that it will be wrong, with it's assertions that only a few 'exceptional' universities will opt into this, then we get into a scenario where the treasury will overstep what it has put aside to fund these loans and so shall have to raise either, a, interest rates, or b, the fees themselves again, or c, both.

So I agree, this isn't the worst solution, of course it isn't, the government rejected the worst of the Browne review. But by and large, we need to go back to the drawing board and do our sums again.

Linkified

I can see some arrests due to anti-terror laws coming up in the next few weeks as a sign to the other students, plus a curfew for under 25s.

Dark Machine said:
Exaggerated? Maybe a little, but I've given up arguing with the Tory Youth on here, so consider it my final word on the fees subject. I'd be interested to see what avaya (who is an actual economist I believe?) thinks about all this shite, because from what I've read in the FT etc. it's a disaster witing to happen.
With all due respect to avaya, the treasury is full of economists. I don't think it would be unreasonable for me to say that economists' interpretations of figures tend influenced by their political leanings. The real test of measuring the impact of these changes will be in ten, fifteen years.

Mr. Sam said:
Who's doing Channel 4's Alternative Christmas Speech this year? Get some angry student to do it. For the lulz.
Don't think they are doing one this year because when I had a look in the Christmas Radio Times, there wasn't a listing for one in its usual slot.

Consul

Wow, the police are still holding people on the bridge.. its 2:30AM

They're not letting people leave untill they can get a photo & name for there database. I get why there doing it (to find the troublemakers) but still... what a fucking farce! also none of the new's outlets are reporting it now =/ arghhh.

Edit: Also.. every live webcam feed of westminster bridge i can find on the internet is not working :|

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Linkified said:
I can see some arrests due to anti-terror laws coming up in the next few weeks as a sign to the other students, plus a curfew for under 25s.
How old are you, buddy? Just curious.

Bet you'd love it.

Salazar

Dark Machine said:
Fuck that shit, it's great we're seeing France/Spain/Greece style riots at last. Someone's finally fighting this ideological agenda from Call me Dave.

:lol

Sign me up for the complacent Tory Youth some of you muppets are dribbling about. Good grief.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Mr Cameron just ran his mouth about how the riot was "not a small minority" but "a good number." Go fudge yourself sideways.

Also police "acting with considerable restraint" such as kettling peaceful protesters and beating ones forced to the front of cordons by crowds. Utter bollocks.

More: Disabled journalist pulled from wheelchair by police

Met spokesman said on Radio 4 that armed police had restraint for not shooting protesters! I would laugh if I wasn't so crushed.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Brain op for student hit by truncheon

A 20-year-old student was left unconscious with bleeding on the brain after a police officer hit him on the head with a truncheon, his mother said today.

Alfie Meadows, a philosophy student at Middlesex University, was struck as he tried to leave the area outside Westminster Abbey during last night's tuition fee protests, his mother said.

After falling unconscious on the way to Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, he underwent a three-hour operation for bleeding on the brain.

Susan Meadows, 55, an English literature lecturer at Roehampton University, said: "He was hit on the head by a police truncheon.

"He said it was the hugest blow he ever felt in his life.

"The surface wound wasn't very big but three hours after the blow, he suffered bleeding to the brain.

"He survived the operation and he's in the recovery room."

MooSeePoo

Neo Member
Im sure this may have been pointed out already but..

Re: Attack on Charles & Camilla...

Is this not, in a way, treason? All they need to do is study camera footage of the incident... find those responsible and then execute them, live, on TV.

Linkified

Thnikkaman said:
How old are you, buddy? Just curious.

Bet you'd love it.

I'm 23 who has finished a joint BSc and MEng Computer Science course, in the summer.

Remember university education isn't a right, its a privilege.

Walshicus

MooSeePoo said:
Is this not, in a way, treason? All they need to do is study camera footage of the incident... find those responsible and then execute them, live, on TV.
One could well argue that setting upon those parasites in the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha would be a patriotic act.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Linkified said:
I'm 23 who has finished a joint BSc and MEng Computer Science course, in the summer.

Remember university education isn't a right, its a privilege.
It was a privilege before, now I would be stuck paying graduation tax a minimum wage salary wouldn't cover.

SmokyDave

You say you want a revolution,
Well, you know,
We all want to change the world.
You tell me that it's evolution,
Well, you know,

But when you talk about destruction,
Don't you know that you can count me out.

Fucking students ought to listen to a bunch of whacked out scallies from the 60's. Perhaps then they wouldn't look such cunts.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Thnikkaman said:
It was a privilege before, now I would be stuck paying graduation tax a minimum wage salary wouldn't cover.

Except, of course, that you wouldn't, because you don't pay it back below certain earnings thresholds.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
iapetus said:
Except, of course, that you wouldn't, because you don't pay it back below certain earnings thresholds.
So no money would go back to the university in that case? Graduates aren't finding graduate level work - it's a loss when the system is supposed to be hit so hard already. Just like the "moving abroad" loophole!

Parl said:
The universities receive 100% of the money before you pay a penny of it as far as I'm aware.
So the guv foots the bill in a climate like this. So smart!

Parl

Thnikkaman said:
So no money would go back to the university in that case? Graduates aren't finding graduate level work - it's a loss when the system is supposed to be hit so hard already. Just like the "moving abroad" loophole!
The universities receive 100% of the money before you pay a penny of it as far as I'm aware.

DECK'ARD said:
Very eloquently put.

Although it would have more impact if you'd scrawled it on a war memorial in town, I think ours escaped today.
:lol Touché

SmokyDave said:
You say you want a revolution,
Well, you know,
You tell me that it's evolution,
Well, you know,

But when you talk about destruction,
Don't you know that you can count me out.

Fucking students ought to listen to a bunch of whacked out scallies from the 60's. Perhaps then they wouldn't look such cunts.

He (Lennon) also said in after the out, the flip flopping junkie.

Wes

venison crêpe
"THE son of legendary Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour has apologised for climbing the Cenotaph during yesterday's student protests."

Top Bottom