• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Mr. Sam

Dark Machine said:
This. I've said it before, but with the coalition, all the 3 main parties have abandoned the centre-left and gone to various degrees of right. I think the only slightly sizable party in England that is left is the Greens.

Let's go for, um, three Green seats in 2015. Yeah, I'm an optimist.

Zoibie

Mr. Sam said:
"We have some news here. Lembit Opik..."

I was almost certain he was going to say, "...has died."

I was expecting the same. If I was being nasty, I'd say I got my hopes up.

Dambrosi

Banned
Dark Machine said:
This. I've said it before, but with the coalition, all the 3 main parties have abandoned the centre-left and gone to various degrees of right. I think the only slightly sizable party in England that is left is the Greens.
The Greens are impoverished, and they're also proto-Communists. They're lucky to have even one MP in Parliament.

Mr. Sam, Zoibie: No, Pickles has to go first. Who wants to bet he dies on telly tonight? He certainly looks close to it.

Dambrosi said:
The Greens are impoverished, and they're also proto-Communists. They're lucky to have even one MP in Parliament.

Mr. Sam, Zoibie: No, Pickles has to go first. Who wants to bet he dies on telly tonight? He certainly looks close to it.

*Shrug* They're still left. BNP dont' count as someone said. There's realistically no-one left of centre to vote for any more (unless Ed pulls Labour back to the centre-left) so Labour gain by default really.

And I do hope so! I'd get to see him die live in High Definition! Seeing the ripples on his chin as he gasps for air...I need to step outside gents...

HOLD UP! IT'S NIGEL FARAGE!

pootle

Mr. Sam said:
"We have some news here. Lembit Opik..."

I was almost certain he was going to say, "...has died."

Awww. Poor Lembit. I can't hate him no matter how much I try. I always end up feeling sorry for him.

Anyway, the lib dems were supposed to be the left of centre party that would bring the uk together. Now that they are hiding under the tories skirts it seems that in scotland and wales there are nationalist parties where independence policies are comfortably distant enough so that these leftist/centrist policies can gain votes. In England, well, people have to vote labour as there's no alternative.

But since people feel so betrayed by the lib dems, what now? The lib dems have to move back to where these voters want them to be or there's no coming back for a long time.

Dambrosi said:
FUCKING FARAGE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF--

It's ironic that we were talking about death, and he's the guy we almost saw die last time live on TV!

Too soon?

kuytmaybe.gif

Labour apparently won big in Sheffield's Crookes ward, which is within Nick Clegg's constituency. Well in Arnie boy! For those who don't know, Crookes is a main Student living hub for University of Sheffield students.

Lib Dems lose Stockport, now a hung Council.

Arnie

Dark Machine said:
Labour apparently won big in Sheffield's Crookes ward, which is within Nick Clegg's constituency.

Lib Dems lose Stockport, now a hung Council.
I live about five minutes away from Crookes in Broomhill and that's another one where the Lib Dems lost big. There were also some bitter words from ex-councillor Paul Scriven about how we've judged the Lib Dems too soon, couldn't care less, I've met the guy in a council meeting which I had to attend for my degree and he's well up himself.

He also embarrassed himself by agreeing to do this video.

Zoibie said:
I'll admit, I quite like Tim Farron.

That's the thing, there's tons of Lib Dems like Ming, this guy Farron, Cable (he's fighting hard in the darkness).

Meanwhile in Scotland, Eastwood has been gained by Labour from the Tories. Any comment ScotGAF?

Dambrosi

Banned
Dark Machine said:
It's ironic that we were talking about death, and he's the guy we almost saw die last time live on TV!

Too soon?

kuytmaybe.gif
Ahh, the healing power of Kuyt gifs.

Oh, and I just saw a rare thing - a Labour gain in Scotland. Well, as badly as they seem to be doing north of the border, the Tories seem to be doing much worse.

Arnie said:
I live about five minutes away from Crookes in Broomhill and that's another one where the Lib Dems lost big. There were also some bitter words from ex-councillor Paul Scriven about how we've judged the Lib Dems too soon, couldn't care less, I've met the guy in a council meeting which I had to attend for my degree and he's well up himself.

I met him before the election last year, voted for him in Sheffield Central (I lived in Edward Street, just across the roundabout from the IC on the opposite side of the road from Jessop), he did seem a pompous twit, but he was Lib Dem so I voted for him.

Arnie

Dark Machine said:
I met him before the election last year, voted for him in Sheffield Central (I lived in Edward Street, just across the roundabout from the IC on the opposite side of the road from Jessop), he did seem a pompous twit, but he was Lib Dem so I voted for him.
Crazy, small world, I know exactly where you mean. Yes he's a dick, and I made the mistake of voting Lib Dem too in the general election, glad to see it's all gone downhill for them after cashing in on their progress too early.

Dambrosi

Banned
Arnie said:
Crazy, small world, I know exactly where you mean. Yes he's a dick, and I made the mistake of voting Lib Dem too in the general election, glad to see it's all gone downhill for them after cashing in on their progress too early.

Hah, how is Broomhill anyway? Fox and Duck still packed on Fridays? I remember starting up there at a mates at 4 and then walking down the hill all the way to Leadmill, fell in there, had a couple Vodkas and falling out again before grabbing a cab back to ours for some more coffee whisky and some blunts. Collapsing at 6, then waking up at 4pm the next day to find us all strewn around the room like it's Platoon or something. If you ever want to find exactly where I lived, go to the Arts Tower, then walk down the hill past the Sainsburys at the back, at the bottom there's a small underpass, go through, between the Opal2 buildings and the balcony 1 floor up directly across the road was my flat. It was cheap, only had me and my best mate in it and was so central we just fell out of bed 5 minutes before class.

I miss being a student. It was laziness with direction. :D

Dambrosi said:
I---I didn't mean it! Really, I didn't!

Um...er...*panics*

panic.gif

Arnie

Dark Machine said:
Hah, how is Broomhill anyway? Fox and Duck still packed on Fridays? I remember starting up there at a mates at 4 and then walking down the hill all the way to Leadmill, fell in there, had a couple Vodkas and falling out again before grabbing a cab back to ours for some more coffee whisky and some blunts. Collapsing at 6, then waking up at 4pm the next day to find us all strewn around the room like it's Platoon or something. If you ever want to find exactly where I lived, go to the Arts Tower, then walk down the hill past the Sainsburys at the back, at the bottom there's a small underpass, go through, between the Opal2 buildings and the balcony 1 floor up directly across the road was my flat. It was cheap, only had me and my best mate in it and was so central we just fell out of bed 5 minutes before class.

I miss being a student. It was laziness with direction. :D
You just blew my mind. My mate lives in Opal 2 so I can picture pretty much your flat. Broomhill's class, yea Fox and Duck is always packed on a Friday, as is The York on the corner, we go there before Propaganda at the O2. Been going down to the Goodwin every day in the sun to play footy on the free pitches after lectures, so damn good. Oh and the Arts Tower had to close briefly for an asbestos warning, crazy shit.

pootle

Just realised its 3 in the morning. Gads.

In Glasgow southside, a 9% swing to SNP? It's all over for the lib dems and labour got a good kicking in Scotland.

Bye all, hope you enjoy the rest of the night.

Arnie said:
You just blew my mind. My mate lives in Opal 2 so I can picture pretty much your flat. Broomhill's class, yea Fox and Duck is always packed on a Friday, as is The York on the corner, we go there before Propaganda at the O2. Been going down to the Goodwin every day in the sun to play footy on the free pitches after lectures, so damn good. Oh and the Arts Tower had to close briefly for an asbestos warning, crazy shit.

Asbestos Warning AGAIN?! Mate when I was there they were removing all that shit from the building and then closed the bugger to refurb it in my last year. Meant my department moved to Shearwood Road near the Drama Studio (the church down the hill from Weston Park Hospital). I thought they'd gotten rid of it all. Jeeze, did they have to move your classes out to other sites then?

I never went the O2 because there was never anyone on there I liked (it was the Carling when I started), but we had some good nights. It would always depend how far down the hill we got, we'd start on Wednesday and get to Corp, Thursday and get to the Union, Friday to whatever Gatecrasher is called now (name changed 5 times in my time, it's next to John Lewis in town) Saturday maybe to Leadmill, Sunday was day off or house party, Monday Union or Plug. Tuesday I'd only go if Valve was in town.

And yeah, playing on the pitches after class for free was something we did too. We played even when there was snow to our knees on the sides of the pitch. Then afterwards maybe a cheeky pint in the Dam House overlooking Crookes Valley Park and the lake. Man in Spring with the Cherry trees blossoming that was paradise. ;_;

mclem

Well, that's interesting. Labour gain from - if I caught things correctly - the Plaid Cymru deputy leader.

Liverpool's officially a Lab hold now, although we still don't have numbers confirmed to see if the rumoured 13 down to 1 for the LDs is true. But I won't see that 'cause it's time for me to call it a night.

Dambrosi

Banned
The Lib Dem tosser on now - "if we hadn't done what we did, we'd be like Greece and Portugal"?

Bull. Shit. And you can see it in his face that he knows it.

EDIT: Lib Dems held two seats in Liverpool? Fuck fuck FUCK

Carl

English democrats won 2 seats in my council, wonderful -_-

On the other hand, the independent neighbour who i voted for won a seat. So i'm happy.

He looked like he'd almost died, he was sweating. Embarrassing.

Tavish Scott's vote in the Shetlands (Lib Dem since the 50s) is cut by a third. That's big despite his win.

Labour gain Sheffield. +9 councillors from the Lib Dems. Also gain Bolton, and most of Merseyside will be red too I'm betting (apart from my own Sefton of course).

killer_clank said:
I wanna go to bed. Few more seats.

4am is HARDCORE!

Lol Scriven's on now. Looks bitter as hell too.

Edit: Wirral's Hung, no change there, traditionally hung place like mine. Colchester too, my uncle lives there.

Wes

venison crêpe
I haven't been watching any of it. All too depressing. Someone give me the cliffnotes. I'm assuming NO landslide, massive labour gains and lib dems being trounced?

Wes said:
I haven't been watching any of it. All too depressing. Someone give me the cliffnotes. I'm assuming NO landslide, massive labour gains and lib dems being trounced?

Won't know about the AV vote until tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise you're right in England and Wales. Labour are being owned by the SNP in Scotland. They just gained Falkirk from Labour.

SNP gain Cumbernauld from Labour. It's really a massacre. I wonder if they'll get Edinburgh Central like Pootle said a couple pages back.

Wes

venison crêpe
Thanks for the info. SNP with big wins? Could be an interesting development for the future...

don't leave us! :(

Carl

haha

"Small number of ballots spoiled in Lincoln after voters attempted to rank councillors in an Alternative Vote fashion #vote2011"

Some people ;)

Interesting that the more 'Independant' Lib Dem MPs areas are voting for the Lib Dems. It really is about the perception of who's sold out. Huhne's council actually gained seats.

Wes said:
Thanks for the info. SNP with big wins? Could be an interesting development for the future...

don't leave us! :(

The SNP are the only percieved Centre-Left party in Scotland now. They've made huge gains from angry Lib-Dems, to leapfrog Labour in many areas and could win a majority or dominant coalition with the Greens in Scotland. Though support for the SNP is going up though, the support for independence is going down. Their policies are good otherwise though and it's showing. Tories have lost seats in Scotland, what little they had...

Labour are winning in England almost by default.

Murder in Glasgow. SNP have destroyed Labour.

Top Bottom