• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Sage00 said:
SNP picks up another 3 seats from the Highlands & Islands regional list. 68 seats now, and that looks like the final total. (1 region left but an SNP seat there unlikely)
And yet again I'm proven wrong. SNP pick up a final seat in the central Scotland regional.

Here comes Salmond in Saltire 1. :lol

Final Scottish election results (Majority = 65):

Scottish National Party - 69
Labour - 37
Conservatives - 15
Liberal Democrats - 5
Greens - 2
Independent - 1 (Margo Macdonald)

We've got a poor yes campaign, a disgraceful no campaign, a broken system of politics completely.

Essentially, fuck it all. Fuck it all.

Why do we have political parties? Genuinely, how does it help these days, it's just trivialised everything.

In other news, Dimbleby is commandeering the directing of the show he is presenting. What a beast.

Dabanton

Massive face palm.

The 'No' campaign was vicious, undermining and confusing i.e 'perfect'

The 'Yes' campaign started out so well and just slumped in the last month and a bit also a serious lack of leadership, and no Clegg doesn't count i see him as more of a tory by default nowadays. Maybe it's just seeing him next to Cameron every PMQ's.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
radioheadrule83 said:
I don't know, the tax breaks for low earners is a really good plus that people will have only felt for one single payday... it might be cancelled out by a tougher cost of living for some, but I'm getting £20 a month more than I used to after tax (£240 a year).

This referendum was something the likes of which Labour promised for 13 years and never delivered..

They're bringing in the right to sack MPs as they promised, they've instated fixed term parliaments as they promised, reform of the House of Lords is still on the cards, they've invested in big rail projects in the South West and Leeds etc, they're going to go ahead with modernising Royal Mail, silly Labour plans were reneged (ID cards / next gen biometric passports / Identity register), they're going to extend the Freedom of Information act, remove innocent people from the DNA database, try and get compensation for Equitable Life victims, cut the number of Quangos (a tory policy overlap there)....

I think at the end of this parliament, they'll have helped ensure a lot of good was done. People don't want to give them credit though, like others have said, they've just become the punching bag for taking out everybody's frustrations for the coalition. They could never have joined up with Labour, and things were going to be shit no matter what -- I don't know what people expected -- if they didn't want this, then people shouldn't have voted Tory in 2010.

I agree with everything you said there, more or less. Realistically, in order to show they are a legitimate party they had to join the Tories and a Labour/Others coalition was not an option. However the problem with a lot of that stuff is that is has yet to be implemented, is not particularly popular (AV, apparently) or has just been poorly advertised. They haven't really had a marquee liberal democrat proposal implemented. This is why I say Clegg is a poor politician - he hasn't shown to the public how the Liberal Democrats are making a positive difference in government and has been too focused on supporting coalition politics.

Essentially, there were people they were always going to lose the support of but they have failed at persuading others that they are a legitimate, unque party.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
radioheadrule83 said:
No, because it's not funny

I feel like going out and punching someone. If it ends up at this kind of ratio, the British people are a gang of cunts. Cunts that buy into cheap lies. Cunts that are easily manipulated.

The Yes campaign was terrible, not only did they struggle to explain it they also didn't tackle the misinformation and lies or wheel out anyone who could speak convincingly in favour. They let Cameron walk all over them, and they didn't get UKIP involved enough. So all the votes on the right went to No, Ed Milliband couldn't keep his party together so Labour votes were at best split, and the Lib Dem vote collapsed so they weren't there anyway.

The biggest mistake in all this was to hold the referendum on the same day as the local elections, and that was Clegg's decision. Cameron offered him any day of his choice. It meant the referendum was as much a vote against the Lib Dems as it was AV, and the whole issue got heavily politicised.

Yes people can be easily manipulated, but you shouldn't call a referendum unless you think you can win it. Clegg and the Yes campaign got this all wrong, and even though I still voted Lib Dem yesterday this has been their biggest fuck-up. Worse than tuition fees, because this was all their own doing.

For fucks sake...

City of London

Yes: 1196
No: 1384

Difference of: 188 people (!)

Population: 11,500

22% turnout.

Just says it all. I am going to verbally smack everyone I know who didn't vote.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
JonathanEx said:
We've got a poor yes campaign, a disgraceful no campaign, a broken system of politics completely.

Essentially, fuck it all. Fuck it all.

Why do we have political parties? Genuinely, how does it help these days, it's just trivialised everything.

In other news, Dimbleby is commandeering the directing of the show he is presenting. What a beast.

Yeah, very depressing. We're basically stuck with this now, and an imploding coalition to boot most likely. Hope is gone!

I want a David Dimbleby Party that I can vote for.

JonnyBrad

radioheadrule83 said:
No, because it's not funny

I feel like going out and punching someone. If it ends up at this kind of ratio, the British people are a gang of cunts. Cunts that buy into cheap lies. Cunts that are easily manipulated.

I don't think that the British people were manipulated to this result by the leaflets and spin from the no campaign. The fact is that Turkeys don't vote for Xmas and the Tory's/Labour supporters had something to lose by voting yes. (Millibands tacit support aside) and they make up 70% of the people who vote. This country is still tribal.

At least the people who voted no actually voted.

Over 70% of this country are lazy, apathetic shits. The majority of people in this country have NO RIGHT to moan about their shitty councils. They have no right to moan about the blind, deaf and dumb, unrepresentative governments that this shitty electoral system puts into power. If they didn't turn out to vote last year, they have no right to moan about this fucking coalition and Nick Clegg either.

This entire island is a fucking cess pool of pond life. They think things should magically happen the way they want them to without ever bothering to get involved in any of the processes that shape the way the country is run. We should make voting mandatory.

Anyone here who voted no, I think you're an idiot by the way. You could have had a more powerful vote, a preferential vote. You could have made MPs fight to win broader support. We could have had governments being elected with stronger mandates. We won't get another referendum on electoral reform for at least a decade or two.... it could even be another generation or two. In my view, this damages not just all of us, but our children too.

DECK'ARD said:
The Yes campaign was terrible, not only did they struggle to explain it they also didn't tackle the misinformation and lies or wheel out anyone who could speak convincingly in favour. They let Cameron walk all over them, and they didn't get UKIP involved enough. So all the votes on the right went to No, Ed Milliband couldn't keep his party together so Labour votes were at best split, and the Lib Dem vote collapsed so they weren't there anyway.

The biggest mistake in all this was to hold the referendum on the same day as the local elections, and that was Clegg's decision. Cameron offered him any day of his choice. It meant the referendum was as much a vote against the Lib Dems as it was AV, and the whole issue got heavily politicised.

Yes people can be easily manipulated, but you shouldn't call a referendum unless you think you can win it. Clegg and the Yes campaign got this all wrong, and even though I still voted Lib Dem yesterday this has been their biggest fuck-up. Worse than tuition fees, because this was all their own doing.

Agreed. Clegg should've pushed for full PR at the agreement stage or just not gone into coalition if it meant that much to him. Having it on the same day as mid-term local elections was idiocy.

Empty

radioheadrule83 said:
For fucks sake...

City of London

Yes: 1196
No: 1384

Difference of: 188 people (!)

Population: 11,500

22% turnout.

that'll probably be the highest share in a local area yes gets.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Dark Machine said:
Agreed. Clegg should've pushed for full PR at the agreement stage or just not gone into coalition if it meant that much to him. Having it on the same day as mid-term local elections was idiocy.
Interestingly on question time last night it came out that Labour offered PR to the Lib Dems in the coalition agreement talks. That rainbow coalition solution was viable, it would have been a very democratic solution, and the second that they chose to instead prop up a Tory undemocratic majority they assured the loss of this referendum.

Canti

radioheadrule83 said:
At least the people who voted no actually voted.

Over 70% of this country are lazy, apathetic shits. The majority of people in this country have NO RIGHT to moan about their shitty councils. They have no right to moan about the blind, deaf and dumb, unrepresentative governments that this shitty electoral system puts into power. If they didn't turn out to vote last year, they have no right to moan about this fucking coalition and Nick Clegg either.

This entire island is a fucking cess pool of pond life. They think things should magically happen the way they want them to without ever bothering to get involved in any of the processes that shape the way the country is run. We should make voting mandatory.

Anyone here who voted no, I think you're an idiot by the way. You could have had a more powerful vote, a preferential vote. You could have made MPs fight to win broader support. We could have had governments being elected with stronger mandates. We won't get another referendum on electoral reform for at least a decade or two.... it could even be another generation or two. In my view, this damages not just all of us, but our children too.
I didn't vote in the last election because for a long time I have been disenchanted with the political system. However, with the AV referendum my interest was piqued, so down the road I toddled yesterday. I voted yes to AV, my spirit has been crushed by my fellow countrymen. Will I vote next time with the FPTP system? Probably not.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dark Machine said:

Yeah, the propping up a Tory agenda thing really sticks now. In one swoop the Lib Dems have basically rendered themselves irrelevant.

They misplayed their key hand, their key policy. It's going to very hard to summon up the will to vote for them again. They are a dead party walking.

It's going to be very hard to summon up the will to vote for anyone really :/

Parl

DECK'ARD said:
Yeah, the propping up a Tory agenda thing really sticks now. In one swoop the Lib Dems have basically rendered themselves irrelevant.

They misplayed their key hand, their key policy. It's going to very hard to summon up the will to vote for them again. They are a dead party walking.

It's going to be very hard to summon up the will to vote for anyone really :/
I think if the Lib Dems now spend the next 4 years differentiating themselves from the Tories, economy back in shape, it could be picked up on by most of the electorate and maybe they'll get back to pre-Cleggomania levels due to also gaining a few voters from them now seeing them as a legitimate party.

As it stands, dead party walking indeed.

Where has my election coverage gone? Dimbleby promised me on BBC News but they're also showing the 6oclock and "Inside F1". Sport's not news, it's sport.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sage00 said:
Interestingly on question time last night it came out that Labour offered PR to the Lib Dems in the coalition agreement talks. That rainbow coalition solution was viable, it would have been a very democratic solution, and the second that they chose to instead prop up a Tory undemocratic majority they assured the loss of this referendum.

Brown offering PR was just the death-throws of Labour, he offered it knowing the coalition wasn't viable. Most of Labour didn't even want it. They would have been at the hostage of the smaller parties and the nationalists, and the Government would have collapsed sooner rather than later leading to a massive Tory majority. Probably before a referendum had even taken place.

The numbers weren't good for anyone apart from the Tories, the Lib Dems were in an impossible position but like someone else said if you are making a deal you don't give up your key policy. They should have stuck to their guns with PR, and then this outcome would most likely have been different.

Clegg and co. were at best naive, and at worst plain stupid. The selection of the referendum date as the local elections actually says the latter :/

JonnyBrad said:
I don't think that the British people were manipulated to this result by the leaflets and spin from the no campaign. The fact is that Turkeys don't vote for Xmas and the Tory's/Labour supporters had something to lose by voting yes. (Millibands tacit support aside) and they make up 70% of the people who vote. This country is still tribal.
I agree. I think people are giving the campaigns of the pro- and anti-AV supporters way too much credit. Fact is, the concept of AV was left wanting. People either wanted full PR or they preferred the simplicity of one person, one vote, one count. I do know though that the emphasis of the Yes campaign on having a permanent 'progressive majority' in government and keeping the Conservatives out put off a lot of my centrist and right-leaning friends off the idea despite last year being receptive to the idea. Having said that, rather than go and vote no, they just abstained.

Casp0r

Banned
radioheadrule83 said:

No you're the idiot. Our current system could do with a re haul however AV would only make everything worst.

A government should be focused on running the country, not deciding coalitions, fighting for fringe votes and squabbling about internal politics. Because that's what AV's going to bring us.

But no lets change to a system which has resorted to having to force people to vote.

Looking at the results coming out it seems the 'yes' crowd hasn't won a single out right Yes yet. Nice going.

Biggzy

blazinglord said:
I agree. I think people are giving the campaigns of the pro- and anti-AV supporters way too much credit. Fact is, the concept of AV was left wanting. People either wanted full PR or they preferred the simplicity of one person, one vote, one count. I do know though that the emphasis of the Yes campaign on having a permanent 'progressive majority' in government and keeping the Conservatives out put off a lot of my centrist and right-leaning friends off the idea despite last year being receptive to the idea. Having said that, rather than go and vote no, they just abstained.

You Sir are correct, i thought both camps were very poor in there campaigning and the electorate were left confused as to what AV was and so just voted for the status quo because it’s what they know.

Meadows

Banned
Damn, yes getting spanked;

I can't help but think this is a disgrace in the court of the Electoral Commission; they should have investigated the lies of the YES campaign during the campaigns.

The fact so many people don't vote makes me sick. People died for universal suffrage, and people are dying right now in the Middle East for democracy. And some fuckers are too lazy to put a cross on a bit of paper. And if you don't like anyone who's standing, spoil your ballot. No excuses.

/rant

Edit: Also, yes in Glasgow Kelvin! Go team. Shame it won't make a difference.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Parl said:
I think if the Lib Dems now spend the next 4 years differentiating themselves from the Tories, economy back in shape, it could be picked up on by most of the electorate and maybe they'll get back to pre-Cleggomania levels due to also gaining a few voters from them now seeing them as a legitimate party.

As it stands, dead party walking indeed.

Yeah the distancing will start right away, but their hands are tied to a large degree by the coalition agreement. They won't risk bringing the Government down, because that would be electoral suicide for them at the moment. We'll probably see a lot of fallout over the NHS reforms and stuff which isn't covered by the agreement, but outside that they will continue to be seen as the ones propping up the Tories with everything else they vote in favour of.

Very ironic that it's the first time we've seen some Lib Dem policies actually put into action, but at the same time they've torpedoed the integrity of the party, confused what it stands for, and lost the trust of the electorate. As gambling goes, that's a pretty big loss.

4 years is a long time, but I'm not sure they will come back from this. Just as the Lib Dems took the flack for everything at the moment, the Tories will take the credit for everything when it turns around. Cameron really has made the Lib Dems his bitches.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
radioheadrule83 said:
Anyone here who voted no, I think you're an idiot by the way.

Well, thanks for that radiohead, and I'm your friend too.

There are, as I pointed out further above, some entirely principled reasons for voting No. Because you don't agree with them doesn't make me an idiot.

Besides, labelling something like 60-70% of the voting public as idiots isn't good politics either - not if you want to gain votes.

Meadows

Banned
Lib Dems should threaten to leave the coalition unless the Conservatives offer to do a New Zealand referendum (2 levels). The ball is in their court, if an election was held today, then Labour would win power, it would be fair and people wouldn't be voting NO for the wrong reason.

Casp0r said:
No you're the idiot. Our current system could do with a re haul however AV would only make everything worst.

A government should be focused on running the country, not deciding coalitions, fighting for fringe votes and squabbling about internal politics. Because that's what AV's going to bring us.

But no lets change to a system which has resorted to having to force people to vote.

Looking at the results coming out it seems the 'yes' crowd hasn't won a single out right Yes yet. Nice going.

So 60% of the populace of most constituencies are 'fringe voters'? Nice. Your point is essentially that democracy is a one day thing and that the elite should be left alone to get on with running our lives. It makes me ill.

Casp0r said:

And not what we have now?

phisheep said:
Well, thanks for that radiohead, and I'm your friend too.

There are, as I pointed out further above, some entirely principled reasons for voting No. Because you don't agree with them doesn't make me an idiot.

I know this wasn't at me but I feel like adding: my thoughts on it is for those who had their principled views of voting No, fine, personally I'm yes but not overwhelmingly - but if people voted no from believing the bullshit aspects of campaign then I'm angry with them for voting no. Vote either way for a good reason, but there's been too many bad reasons around.

JonnyBrad

Meadows said:
Lib Dems should threaten to leave the coalition unless the Conservatives offer to do a New Zealand referendum (2 levels). The ball is in their court, if an election was held today, then Labour would win power, it would be fair and people wouldn't be voting NO for the wrong reason.

If they did that they would be wiped out for good.

Empty

Casp0r said:

though you're right that obviously not everyone who voted for av is an idiot, i think your arguments are quite bad.

australia didn't introduce compulsory voting because of av. this is a terrible misrepresentation of history.

you fight for fringe votes under any system, av doesn't change that, but i'm not sure why asking many politicians to justify their policies to more people than just the largest minority in their constituency is a bad thing. maybe you'd see parties actually try on immigration rather than continue the lacklustre current debate on that issue if it really mattered.

the current coalition squabbles less than brown-blair and brown-scores who tried to unseat him as leader before the last election and the current coalition is often criticized for trying to do too much, so i'm not sure where your focus argument there is going. besides all political parties are coalitions of some sort or another, the voting system doesn't change that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meadows said:

The horse has already left the stable. Once the electorate has spoken, you have no choice but to respect that. There won't be any talk of electoral reform now for at least a decade. The first rule of a referendum is don't call one unless you think you can win.

The Lib Dems gambled badly, and lost.

Empty

Meadows said:

they would get destroyed for doing this by the press and their political rivals for putting personal gain above 'the national interest' by forcing another expensive referendum on the people when the turnout in scotland vs rest of uk shows people care about jobs, public services and their family future, not constitutional issues and then condemn that one perfect opportunity to failure.

have some patience, we shouldn't have rushed on fucking av in this climate as is.

Meadows

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
The horse has already left the stable. Once the electorate has spoke, you have no choice but to respect that. There won't be any talk of electoral reform now for at least a decade. The first rule of a referendum is don't call one unless you think you can win.

The Lib Dems gambled badly, and lost.

No, the electorate didn't speak; people want electoral reform, they didn't want AV, many NO voters on this board have said so themselves.

Meadows said:
Be careful for what you wish for.

Single digit poll leads before an election means nothing. See: Canada and Scotland. David Cameron is still more popular than Ed Miliband at the moment and the Tories still score well on economic competence whereas Labour still poll badly.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meadows said:
No, the electorate didn't speak; people want electoral reform, they didn't want AV, many NO voters on this board have said so themselves.

Again, that's also how the Lib Dems gambled wrong.

They had one shot at this, they should have stuck to their guns with PR in the first place, and secondly not had the referendum on the same day as the local elections and politicised the whole issue.

Electoral reform is dead for a long time now, it will cease to be an issue from the major parties and the Lib Dems will be completely ignored on the issue and never be in a position to do anything about it again.

Meadows said:

I would have voted No if it was PR instead of AV ( unless PR can still be applied to constituencies).

Meadows

Banned
I hate that I know people are going to say "The people voted no to electoral reform", they didn't, they voted no to AV.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cerebral Assassin said:
I would have voted No if it was PR instead of AV ( unless PR can still be applied to constituencies).

You can retain the constituency link, and that's most likely the system they would have gone with.

I have a fairly high approval of this coalition if I'm honest. It was handed a toxic legacy to deal with, and I don't think its handled it particularly badly.

That said, the Lib Dems should bring down the coalition. Even if it hurts them in the short term, and a snap election gives the Tories a majority, they should do it. It is CLEAR that the Lib Dems are acting as a political punch-bag. Bow out now and let the Tories take the plaudits / criticism for their subsequent handiwork... I don't see what good, aside from what is already in the coalition agreement, the Liberal Democrats can achieve by staying in league with the tories. Their support has spoken... both the people who voted for them in 2010, and their core vote. Nobody likes it. Leave now and look into a center-left opposition coalition with Labour.

Apologies to Phisheep or anyone I inadvertantly offended with my earlier angry comments, but I do genuinely believe the electorate has voted to cut its own nose off to spite its face here.

There are a multitude of reasons that the Yes vote has lost, and I'm not concerned with debating them now, it's done. I do think that people giving the Lib Dems a kicking are a bit daft, and I do think that AV would have been a much superior system. Governments will now continue to be elected by the largest minority, leaving a majority of voters unhappy with most election results.. parties will continue to pander to their core vote, concentrate on 'winnable' issues, in 'winnable' marginals, and fail to appeal to a broader base, they will continue to play safe politics. When a Lib Dem, Green, UKIP, EDL or even a BNP policy chimes with the public but those parties are percieved as wasted votes, Labour and Tory candidates won't have to worry about being second or third preference, they will know they can count on winning votes through "wasted vote" fear alone. 1/3 of voters support someone other than Labour and Conservatives, and because of this, the makeup of parliament still won't reflect that. With up to 2/3 of voters feeling detached and disappointed about results in every general election, political disillusionment and voter apathy will continue to be a problem... it will probably grow all the more.

I still believe "No" is an absolutely disastrous choice for British democracy. We don't have a democracy... its an unrepresentative farce.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Meadows said:
I hate that I know people are going to say "The people voted no to electoral reform", they didn't, they voted no to AV.

Which was the best you were going to get for a very long time.

A vote for AV would have opened the door to possible further reforms sometime down the line, but by the electorate voting overwhelmingly to keep the status quo it just kicks the issue into the long grass. Labour and the Tories are never going to run on a policy of PR which would work against them, and you aren't going to see a repeat of an AV referendum ever.

The Lib Dems shouldn't have caved on PR, they shouldn't have picked today for the referendum, they should have run a better campaign, and this is the price they (and us) have paid.

Meadows

Banned
I think it's undemocratic if we don't, at some point in the future, have this referendum under the following conditions:

- There isn't another electoral event at the same time
- Political parties agree not to get involved (could be enforced by the electoral commission)
- There is a TV debate about it
- The electoral commission is very strict about lies, requiring any publicly spread literature from two pre-agreed offical Yes or No campaigns to be backed with facts (any information approved could have a large, distinctive stamp on it showing that all facts have been checked from the EC, people will know to trust information from sources with this stamp, and be sceptical of £250,000,000 claims or anything similar)

and the questions should be:

Question 1:

Would you like to conduct a referendum on the voting system, allowing you to choose which system you would like?

Yes
No

(if yes)

Question 2:

Which of the following voting systems do you want?:

FPTP
AV
PR
MMP
Bourda

The choice that wins could have a minimum percentage to be put into practice (50%?) and then if that figure isn't reached, then another round of voting is conducted getting rid of the lowest 3 choices, leaving say X and B.

Then Question 3:

Which of the following systems do you want?:

PR
Bourda

The choice with over 50% wins. The various questions could take place a 3 weeks apart.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cerebral Assassin said:
More than 1 MP per constituency?

Yeah STV, which is probably what they would have done with, would result in that. You'd still have a local MP who represented you, although in big constituencies you could have quite a lot of them.

There's another form of PR called PR squared which actually keeps it as 1 MP per constituency while still being proportional, but haven't really heard much talk of that and does seem quite complex.

Top Bottom