• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(UK) Theresa May to praise Donald Trump: "Britain and US can lead together again"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

Cross post as relevant to May

I didn't expect Theresa May to say anything against this after her ball and chain submission the other day, but at least good old Scotland did

2B6Ufeq.png

Zakalwe

Banned
What utter crap. We're now at the point where the UK is now all but guaranteed to leave the single market, a concept even UKIP wouldn't publicly float leading up to the referendum. Nothing has been "averted". It was the Tories themselves that gladly scapegoated the EU for years as cover for their own failures.

Couple that with May's own dismal record at the home office and the outcome is no different than if UKIP was running the show. There is nothing laudable about the Conservatives adopting disgusting, anti-intellectual, scapegoating rhetoric and policy no different to that of UKIP, just to shore up support for their own party.

You're right.

The fact that I'm reading shit like "I'll never vote for Corbyn" but "Miliband and Blair I would..." is deeply disturbing.

avaya

Are people surprised she is not saying anything?

1. The demographic that voted for Brexit is likely to find favour with a muslim ban.
2. The Tories will attempt to use Trump as some sort of leverage against the EU.

You're right.

The fact that I'm reading shit like "I'll never vote for Corbyn" but "Miliband and Blair I would..." is deeply disturbing.
I assume that is in reference to me. Just to clarify, I would never vote for Labour under Blair. I am strongly opposed the policy of liberal intervention and mildly eurosceptic so Blair will always be an anathema to me. But I was just hypothesising ways that might make Labour more electable to centrists. Don't know what was wrong with Ed Miliband though. I voted for him in the 2015 election.

A Tory MP has been banned from entering the US

https://twitter.com/nadhimzahawi/status/825445925275500545

Surely now she has to say something?
Don't MPs travel on diplomatic passports? But yeah, I doubt May will say anything. Her hands are tied with Brexit. It's very bad timing that America has elected Trump at a time when we are about to burn bridges with Europe.

excowboy

Well I suspect this means it'll dominate the Sunday morning shows.

Yep, at least it'll trash the govts PR 'win' from meeting Trump. She should be nailed to the wall for not being stronger on this - she can't be serious about mending divisions in the UK, and not call this out. Being soft on it sends completely the wrong message to the racists who voted leave.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yep, at least it'll trash the govts PR 'win' from meeting Trump. She should be nailed to the wall for not being stronger on this - she can't be serious about mending divisions in the UK, and not call this out. Being soft on it sends completely the wrong message to the racists who voted leave.

Since when were you under the impression she was trying to send any message of the sort to those people. Everything the government has done since pander to not rebuke these sorts of people.

She wants to be seen as being on the same page as Trump without outright saying it, literally everything he is saying and doing is exactly what the Brexit voters and Daily Mail want.

A Tory MP has been banned from entering the US

https://twitter.com/nadhimzahawi/status/825445925275500545

Surely now she has to say something?

What exactly do you expect her to say? She's proved herself useless time and time again, meanwhile a large portion of those voted leave would likely be championing the ban. If she does anything it's going to be congratulating him clearly.

She wants to be seen as being on the same page as Trump without outright saying it, literally everything he is saying and doing is exactly what the Brexit voters and Daily Mail want.

Bingo, yet amusingly the leave voters still refuse to see themselves in the same light.

excowboy

Since when were you under the impression she was trying to send any message of the sort to those people. Everything the government has done since pander to not rebuke these sorts of people.

Well, I probably dislike our current govt as much as anyone I know but I dunno if being pragmatic is the same as being evil. The issue for me is that the pragmatism is based on a whole mess of false assumptions.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well, I probably dislike our current govt as much as anyone I know but I dunno if being pragmatic is the same as being evil. The issue for me is that the pragmatism is based on a whole mess of false assumptions.

These nothing pragmatic about throwing out the idea that all companies should gather and publish lists on the number of foreign workers and saying Eu doctors can remain until they can be replaced by British doctors. We're dealing with straight up xenophobia here. There's nothing pragmatic about it.

antonz

May is suffering from a case of Winston Churchill disease. Towards the end of WWII FDR and Stalin both realized the world order going forward was the US and Russia and accordingly increasingly left Churchill out of the loop when they would discuss things. Old Winston still thought England had a proportionate seat at the World Table with the other two.

Brexit fools are buying into Trumps rhetoric about being a Strong Independent Great Britain again that can seize its seat at the table again now that they got rid of what was supposedly weakening the UK.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
did people forget who Theresa May is? she'd do the same shit in a heartbeat if she thought she'd get away with it.

Paulie_C

Neo Member
Thought it was funny watching May speak to the Turkish President about human rights. The BBC reporter said it shows shes not afraid to speak up when doing these deals.

She wouldn't have the balls to speak like that to Trump.

If the government was being pragmatic, they'd have pulled the plug on the referendum, regardless of the vote outcome. By actually following demoracy as an ideology, they are actively ignoring the pragmatic solution of 'stay in EU, stength in numbers'. It's a horrible catch 22 if they ever wanted to be elected again, I'll give them that.

May is suffering from a case of Winston Churchill disease. Towards the end of WWII FDR and Stalin both realized the world order going forward was the US and Russia and accordingly increasingly left Churchill out of the loop when they would discuss things. Old Winston still thought England had a proportionate seat at the World Table with the other two.

Brexit fools are buying into Trumps rhetoric about being a Strong Independent Great Britain again that can seize its seat at the table again now that they got rid of what was supposedly weakening the UK.

To add to this, Churchill pursued some way of keeping the UK relevant on the global stage (most particularly, developing a British hydrogen bomb) that almost caused irreparable damage (the Windscale fire).

Dat pressure.

At least she caved eventually.
It is a pretty polite 'condemnation', but I think that's the best we can hope for.

I do think that May's invitation for Trump to visit the Queen later this year was, in retrospect, a massive mistake that's going to backfire. Hopefully Trump will be impeached before it happens.

May is making all the right moves lately, next thing you know she'll be sucking up to Duterte!

She hasn't had a hand in killing enough drug addicts yet... but maybe she'll fly over with the recent crop of NHS cuts and tell him she's killing them in her own way.

Ac30

She hasn't had a hand in killing enough drug addicts yet... but maybe she'll fly over with the recent crop of NHS cuts and tell him she's killing them in her own way.

I just figured since she's desperate for trade deals, she'll just hit up every strongman/woman she can find and hope for the best. What drug problems is the U.K. facing? Opioids? :/

Audioboxer

I just figured since she's desperate for trade deals, she'll just hit up every strongman/woman she can find and hope for the best. What drug problems is the U.K. facing? Opioids? :/

We rely on America for Trident which was just up for renewal so that's one reason she's probably tried to bed Trump.

PJV3

True, Boris as PM would be a disaster. It's not like any of the other parties look like winning a GE anytime soon though.

Boris is perfect for the UK, we all know he was lying about the EU for years because it made him famous in Tory circles, but we will follow him over the cliff anyway.

Given this with Turkey, I'm genuine when I say she will seek a deal with nearly anyone right now. I just think Dutere would turn his nose up at her.

excowboy

These nothing pragmatic about throwing out the idea that all companies should gather and publish lists on the number of foreign workers and saying Eu doctors can remain until they can be replaced by British doctors. We're dealing with straight up xenophobia here. There's nothing pragmatic about it.

Agree with you on these. I would say that I think the list policy idea was more idiocy than malice but I may be being optimistic.

If the government was being pragmatic, they'd have pulled the plug on the referendum, regardless of the vote outcome. By actually following demoracy as an ideology, they are actively ignoring the pragmatic solution of 'stay in EU, stength in numbers'. It's a horrible catch 22 if they ever wanted to be elected again, I'll give them that.

This is exactly one of the assumptions I was referring to. Everything is so short term thinking and these egotistical fuckwits in power assume they can just float by above it all. They usually can unfortunately.

OT, at least she's realised that this is an unprecedented international diplomatic issue and now spoken out 'frankly' to her new bestie. Pretty weak, as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom