• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way I think another reason they skipped on LSH was so it would be more shocking when Jon came back to life. I really do think they were planning for this to be the big shock.

Kaladin

If Stannis sent half his army away to attack at a later time, wouldn't that half be brought into the fight when they saw the men on the field were jobbing to the Bolton army?

Stannis wasn't even expecting a battle, he was expecting a siege. He brought a plastic knife to a sword fight.

If Stannis sent half his army away to attack at a later time, wouldn't that half be brought into the fight when they saw the men on the field were jobbing to the Bolton army?

Stannis wasn't even expecting a battle, he was expecting a siege. He brought a plastic knife to a sword fight.

Greatest battle commander in the Seven Kingdoms...

Yes, I'm still shaking my head.

Apt101

I bet Kit Harrington finishes filming his season 6 scenes, and during the course of the show John Snow cuts his hair. Kit will do a round of innocuous press events in the run up to the show with short hair to throw people off. Resurrected at the conclusion of episode one.

And I don't think Ramsay Bolton will ever die in the books or show. He's going to be there with the others left standing at the end. Vicious bastards like him thrive in a world like Westeros.

Kaladin

I don't know what bothers me more.

Stannis murdering Shireen or Stannis getting a serious downgrade as a battle commander from the books.

He managed his approach to Winterfell so much better in the books. He actually has a chance where he stands now.

Speevy

Banned
The circumstances do add up, even if Stannis doesn't show his battle prowess.

If he started with about 6,500 men (rough count), and then lost 500.

Then he lost at least half those in the desertion, he has at most 3,250 men. Then you have those who died to starvation, and he's easily down to 3,000. Let's be generous.

None of them are mounted.

The Boltons on the other hand have at least 6,000 men, and reinforcements from the houses they demand loyalty from. They are well fed and armed, have horses, and have probably scouted Stannis while he was out in the show. Stannis' main concern was survival.

Even if Stannis had known about the Boltons' advance, it's pretty clear that the Boltons would have met them and killed them all.

All these circumstances are contrived and stupid, but Stannis Baratheon isn't going to do the Braveheart spear thing. His men can barely walk.

Patriots7

What houses do they demand loyalty from?
Because I don't think a single person in the show-only thread could name two other Northern houses apart from the Bolton's and the Starks.

Speevy

Banned
Also, if you were planning some genius battle strategy, why not plead with Brienne of Tarth to help you?

I'd say something like "I give you my word. You can kill me, but first, let me kill the Boltons with this awesome trick!" Brienne would have been like "Okay. I'm honorable, sounds like a plan."

People who have surefire genius battle strategies aren't dejected and waiting for death. They also aren't without a general's guard. Surely there were men defending him directly at the start of the battle, but by the end, he has to stab men personally?

Finally, it's never implied that the Boltons suffered heavy losses in this battle. They just don't have the budget to show soldiers marching every which way. They showed Ramsay and it was implied that the rest had already returned home.

Apt101

Because I don't think a single person in the show-only thread could name two other Northern houses apart from the Bolton's and the Starks.

Could have swore they mentioned the Karstarks in the show. Might be conflating book knowledge with the show I watched three rum and cokes deep though.

Speevy

Banned

This is the entirety of the show's explanation of other northern houses.

-Karstarks, House Cerwyn, The Umbers, Starks, Boltons.

Most of the men fighting for the Starks in this show died at the red wedding. The rest will either submit to the Boltons or face brutal flaying.

Speevy

Banned
What is Ramsay's qualification to lead men in the first place?

When we were first introduced to him, I thought he was like The Tickler, a man whose sole talent was getting information from people.

The Mountain is downright tame by Ramsay's standards.

Most of the men fighting for the Starks in this show died at the red wedding. The rest will either submit to the Boltons or face brutal flaying.

The Mormonts

What is Ramsay's qualificationton lead men in the first place?

zfILOvJ.jpg

VIXLPsZ.png

Oh, nothing much. Just be shirtless

Massa

He may have been a great commander but he put himself in a situation where he could either flee and pretty much lose the throne or go to battle against the odds. And he knew his odds were terrible, that's why he appealed to Melisandre's magic.

At that point there was no turning back anymore, after you burn your daughter to win a war you can't flee the war.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That's barely a theory. Stannis tricks the Boltons by letting them slaughter his army. Brilliant plan, Stannis.
At least when Robb did it he did it with a small force so he could lead his larger force somewhere else.

Patriots7

Karstarks have essentially been killed off.
Show universe has Rickon at Last Hearth.
Lady Mormont only recognizes the Starks.
So House Cerwyn is the only potential house that could have sided with them.

Speevy

Banned
Can we get this thread to 20,000 posts with bad jokes about Ramsay's 20 good men, bad pussy, Face Tyrell, oysters, clams, cockles, and Stannis "The King Who Didn't Realize the Boltons Had an Army" Baratheon?

Only time will tell.

Kaladin

Can we get this thread to 20,000 posts with bad jokes about Ramsay's 20 good men, bad pussy, Face Tyrell, oysters, clams, cockles, and Stannis "The King Who Didn't Realize the Boltons Had an Army" Baratheon?

Only time will tell.

I've got 20 good posts that say you're on.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Karstarks have essentially been killed off.
They're technically still all alive since they abandoned Robb after he killed Rickard or do you mean D&D forgot about them?

I put a lot of hard work into that baseball bat trident can't you tell >.>
I appreciate it.

Only time will tell.
Fingers crossed.

What is Ramsay's qualification to lead men in the first place?

When we were first introduced to him, I thought he was like The Tickler, a man whose sole talent was getting information from people.

The Mountain is downright tame by Ramsay's standards.

His qualification is he's the Lord's son.

Realistically, I think the wildlings would have to kill the Night's Watch when they learn what they did to Jon Snow.
Yeah they're going to say that the only reason they went along with the plan was for Jon Snow. Or maybe Tormund will lead them to stay on Jon's course and be the bigger man then when Jon comes back they'll run game on the nights watch.

Not sure on Jon, I don'tthink he gone for good but I do not believe he is Azor Ahai, Dany got a much better claim to AA, she was born on Dragonstone, a volcanic (smoke) isle in the sea (salt), and of course the dragons. "Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone"

How is that Jon and not Dany?

Also, Dany has some dreams in GoT and some come true, others don't...at least not until now maybe. This is before the dragons in GoT.

Viserys was hitting her, hurting her. She was naked, clumsy with fear. She ran from him, but her body seemed thick and ungainly. He struck her again. She stumbled and fell. “You woke the dragon,” he screamed as he kicked her. “You woke the dragon, you woke the dragon.” Her thighs were slick with blood. She closed her eyes and whimpered. And if in answer there was a great hideous ripping sound and the crackling of some great fire. When she looked again, Viserys was gone, great columns of flame rose all around, and in the midst of them was the dragon. It turned its great head slowly. When its molten eyes found her, she woke...

Viserys was always being violent towards, but her being thick and ungainly (pregnant), her thighs thick with blood (stillbirth/abortion), Viserys being gone (dead)...and finally the Dragons are all things yet to happen, so she was seeing visions of the future.

She has another dream that until ADWD I thought was the awakening of the dragons, but I have another theory due to end of ADWD.

When she slept that night, she dreamt the dragon dream again. Viserys was not in it this time. It was only her and the dragon. It’s scales were black and night, wet and slick with blood. Her blood, Dany sensed. Its eyes were pools of molten magma, and when it opened its mouth, flame came out in a hot jet. She opened her arms to the fire, embraced it, let it swallow her whole, let it cleanse her and temper her and scour her clean. She could feel her flesh sear and blacken and slough away, could feel her blood boil and turn to steam, yet there was no pain. She felt strong and new and fierce.

The dragon description is Drogon. She is exposed to the dragon fire and it seems to 'rebirth' her (Azor Ahai....), in the book after she is burnt by Drogon while attempting to ride him she seems to start having periods again, despite up until then not being able to have children after her stillbirth.

Of course none of this is in the show, but...

What if i told you Jon is really dead? but in all seriousness, everyone thinks Jon is coming back i mean i think it too. what if he doesn't come back? Then what?

Brakke

Banned
Not sure on Jon, I don'tthink he gone for good but I do not believe he is Azor Ahai, Dany got a much better claim to AA, she was born on Dragonstone, a volcanic (smoke) isle in the sea (salt), and of course the dragons. "Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone"

How is that Jon and not Dany?

The salt of Lyanna's tears, the smoke of whatever. She forgot to open her flue or something.

Enosh

Only time will tell.
we sure as hell can try!

and if it starts snowing we can burn someone ^^

What if i told you Jon is really dead? but in all seriousness, everyone thinks Jon is coming back i mean i think it too. what if he doesn't come back? Then what?

Then we wasted a shit-ton of screen time on a character who didn't amount to much in the end.

Kind of like the show version of Stannis.

Robb not doing shit makes perfect sense. He was nobody in the books. But Jon has all of these theories, fanbase, and fucking mystery behind his past and probable future. If the creators throw all that shit away for the fucking shock factor?

A big fuck you to them then.

Speevy

Banned
Well, even if D and D don't know how to write a good story, I would at least trust them to leave the most important characters in there until the end.

He was stabbed in both mediums. Books have the luxury of not showing someone bleeding to death, so you're not sure whether he's dead, but you're pretty sure he isn't going to be the same.

If they were going to end Jon's story right there, having the scenes with Melisandre where she tells him he has power wouldn't make much sense.

ZeroRay

Jon ain't dead. Or at least he's not done doing things. As said, it would be pretty bad writing and a waste of hundreds upon hundreds of pages.

I always found the fans going crazy over the words of prophesy to be counter to what GRRM's actually trying to do.

Jon isn't Azhor Azai, neither is Dany. I'm thinking, at best there will be several candidates at the end of the series who could be considered such with ambiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom