• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Should I read AFFC/ADWD at the same time with one of the methods out there or read them in order of release?

I'm reading the Boiled Leather combined one. It's much better this way but also kind of weird because you get that one Jon Sending Sam Away scene from Jon and from Sam back-to-back.

Kyougar

I can't tell if this is a joke post, that's why I love this thread.

half.

They clearly either dont really know about character motivation or they dont care.
And they pulled the Asha/Osha shit but let Mace/Mance slide.

I want to try this out for if I ever re-read these books.

I did that 2 years ago. It is a better reading experience. but you have to shuffle 2 or 3 chapters arounf (skip and read later)

Massa

half.

They clearly either dont really know about character motivation or they dont care.

Well, they have their own interpretation of different characters and their motivation. Even hardcore book fans often disagree, some people love Dany some people hate her, some see Stannis as a crazy guy corrupted by Melisandre's black magic some people see him like Davos does, some people even liked Renly so much they wanted him to be king, god knows why. Since the show can't be as thorough or rich in details as the books their own views and interpretation are much more likely to stand out.

The name is rather insignificant, they didn't like the original name so they changed it. They should've changed more names if you ask me, Mace would've been a good candidate actually as he's a very different character in the show.

NeoGiff

half.

Never mind that. They changed Asha to Yara so people wouldn't confuse the name with Osha... yet there's a prominent character called Arya, and they knew Theon would be talking about his "sister" Yara... oh my god the stupidity.

NeoGiff

The name is rather insignificant, they didn't like the original name so they changed it. They should've changed more names if you ask me, Mace would've been a good candidate actually as he's a very different character in the show.

Mhysa
(Today, 09:11 PM)

Iksenpets

Banned
Never mind that. They changed Asha to Yara so people wouldn't confuse the name with Osha... yet there's a prominent character called Arya, and they knew Theon would be talking about his "sister" Yara... oh my god the stupidity.

It doesn't help that Asha is like a 10x cooler name than Yara (sorry to any Yaras on GAF, but you know it's true!)

It does at least help me keep the pretty awesome character Asha Greyjoy separate from the notorious cynophobe Yara Greyjoy in my head.

Apt101

Asha (or whatever the hell they're calling her) is so different in the show from the books that she's basically a different character.

bengraven

It doesn't help that Asha is like a 10x cooler name than Yara (sorry to any Yaras on GAF, but you know it's true!)

It does at least help me keep the pretty awesome character Asha Greyjoy separate from the notorious cynophobe Yara Greyjoy in my head.

hot-fuzz-yarp.png

Lothar

Banned
I did that 2 years ago. It is a better reading experience. but you have to shuffle 2 or 3 chapters arounf (skip and read later)

For an even better experience, skip every Brienne, Ironborn, and Dorne chapter. In all seriousness, doing that actually made re-reading Feast of Crows enjoyable.

Faddy

Banned
Asha (or whatever the hell they're calling her) is so different in the show from the books that she's basically a different character.

Yeah she is barely in the show whereas she is on page after page of the books being boring as hell and wasting my time.

bengraven

I know Brienne goes in circles and spends a lot of time walking, but I like her chapters. She plays an important part in the series.

1) after Arya she's now our view into the world of the smaller person. The ones being murdered and raped and robbed and their fields salted, their daughters kidnapped, their sons hung at the crossroads.

2) she's on a very typical knight's journey, something you would expect in a book about chivalry, even if it's criticizing chivalry. It's her grail, her questing beast. She's just learning how to be a knight, she isn't perfect.

Apt101

I know Brienne goes in circles and spends a lot of time walking, but I like her chapters. She plays an important part in the series.

1) after Arya she's now our view into the world of the smaller person. The ones being murdered and raped and robbed and their fields salted, their daughters kidnapped, their sons hung at the crossroads.

2) she's on a very typical knight's journey, something you would expect in a book about chivalry, even if it's criticizing chivalry. It's her grail, her questing beast. She's just learning how to be a knight, she isn't perfect.

Has she come across a dishonest miller, dashing squire, or glutinous member of the clergy yet? Then her story would hit all of the Medieval poetry tropes. I have to be honest, I forgot much of her story as I was powering through the books. Not that they're bad, I just really wanted to finish and was short on time. Another reason I rushed is because I foolishly believed TWoW would be out late this year (I had no idea how slow GRRM worked beforehand, I just knew years had already passed).

NeoGiff

The show made me retrospectively love book Brienne. She's a relatively innocent breath of fresh air after the violent thug that is her show counterpart.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was going to buy some Dunk and Egg stuff but now... eugh.

Aimless wondering doesn't do it for me.

Eh, you're really missing out.

"Aimless wondering" isn't what they share in common. It's the chivalry themes.

Dunk and Egg's tales are incredible, and some of the best stuff in the entire series. They're surprising and refreshing because they're portraying important events in Westeros' history through the eyes of a common knight - a minor player.

NSESN

I liked Brienne and Ironborn storylines in aFfC, to me only dorne chapters were a bit boring
Dany storylines in aCoK and aDwD are the only ones i would skip in a reread

Iksenpets

Banned
Brienne's chapters are awesome. They're basically 'modern' versions of Dunk's tales.

Yeah, Brienne's story is a cool series of picaresque adventures that does a lot to establish what things are really like for people here. Seeing how detached the Sparrows felt from everything else in the show, I think the Brienne arc gives some necessary context to why the people are turning toward increasingly extreme religion. But it's really languidly paced in a story where people are used to driving plot, so it's kind of jarring compared to everything else.

LOL

Show Brienne gets shit done. She already found Arya and Sansa, they told her "thanks but no thanks", she went "ok fuck you" and went on her merry way to kill Stannis.

You know for all we've hated on the godhood of show Ramsay, Brienne has a similar air of indefeatability to her. Show Brienne will never ever lose a fight.

munchie64

The show made me retrospectively love book Brienne. She's a relatively innocent breath of fresh air after the violent thug that is her show counterpart.
More joke posts?

Brienne's chapters improve towards the end but the rest is pretty ehhh. I understand the comparisons to D&E however imo the biggest problem isn't that Brienne spends a lot of time walking around/talking. It's that she's on a mission you as the reader know is futile. Sansa isn't close, Arya is even farther away. So the longer the journey lasts, the more annoying it becomes.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You know for all we've hated on the godhood of show Ramsay, Brienne has a similar air of indefeatability to her. Show Brienne will never ever lose a fight.

She always gets fucked up in the process, though. While Ramsay wards off Ironborn shirtless, she got really damn hurt while fighting the Hound, for example. So it never feels cheap.

Lothar

Banned
I liked Brienne and Ironborn storylines in aFfC, to me only dorne chapters were a bit boring
Dany storylines in aCoK and aDwD are the only ones i would skip in a reread

See, I thought Dany's chapters were the second best in ADWD after Theon. It was so fun to see things finally go wrong for Dany and everyone to hate her after books of everything going right. I loved seeing how the situation increasingly got more and more fucked up. It reminded of King's Landing book 1 where things keep unraveling, there's betrayals, you don't know who to trust, the city is a powder keg, and you have to see the characters make very difficult decisions on limited information.

Brienne's chapters improve towards the end but the rest is pretty ehhh. I understand the comparisons to D&E however imo the biggest problem isn't that Brienne spends a lot of time walking around/talking. It's that she's on a mission you as the reader know is futile. Sansa isn't close, Arya is even farther away. So the longer the journey lasts, the more annoying it becomes.

well she has a pretty clear mission by the end of aDwD

half.

Asha too confusing with osha.
Solution: turn asha into yara.
Which doesn't at all sound like arya...

Iksenpets

Banned
She always gets fucked up in the process, though. While Ramsay wards off Ironborn shirtless, she got really damn hurt while fighting the Hound, for example. So it never feels cheap.

That's true. She seems like she at least had to struggle through that fight, instead of gliding gracefully between enemies and bathing in their blood.

Euron

We actually see her in pain though and there was that whole bear situation. Ramsay never shows one ounce of weakness and easily defeats all of his enemies because he's the lord of light's chosen one.

ramsay hasn't been beaten because knowing D&D they'll have Reek kill him as the audience cheers on.

"My name is Reek. It rhymes with your defeat"

*plunges sword into chest*
*sword shatters*

*eyes turn blue*

*Sansa cries as her clothes are ripped off*

"Ayyyyy the north remembers amrite?"

ramsay hasn't been beaten because knowing D&D they'll have Reek kill him as the audience cheers on.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Reading through those casting call descriptions, I've already heard the big assumptions about Arthur Dayne, but I wonder if any of those other Northern Lords listed will be Howland Reed.

Unless of course he was already cast in season 5...

Iksenpets

Banned
Reading through those casting call descriptions, I've already heard the big assumptions about Arthur Dayne, but I wonder if any of those other Northern Lords listed will be Howland Reed.

Unless of course he was already cast in season 5...

Neither of them really sound like Howland. One is pretty clearly an Umber, and the other seems like it'll be a Bolton ally, maybe a Karstark. I really doubt they would do the Tower of Joy without Howland though, so if that's in ID have to think he's in, too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Neither of them really sound like Howland. One is pretty clearly an Umber, and the other seems like it'll be a Bolton ally, maybe a Karstark. I really doubt they would do the Tower of Joy without Howland though, so if that's in ID have to think he's in, too.

I have to admit, Howland = High Sparrow is one of my favorite batshit crazy fan theories.

Lol. I always pictured Ramsay's death "my name is Theon Greyjoy!" and he shoves ramsay into a cage with his dogs who proceed to eat him alive.

Brakke

Banned
I have to admit, Howland = High Sparrow is one of my favorite batshit crazy fan theories.

It's not batshit at all! How can it be crazy if there's not evidence supporting it at all! It's just idle musings. That it's based on literally nothing makes it work for me. We're not making huge stretches nor are we misreading tiny little one sentence throwaways, we're just like "yeah, could be".

Gnome

It's not batshit at all! How can it be crazy if there's not evidence supporting it at all! It's just idle musings. That it's based on literally nothing makes it work for me. We're not making huge stretches nor are we misreading tiny little one sentence throwaways, we're just like "yeah, could be".

I prefer baseless claims that are interesting to overly read assumptions based off of text.

bengraven

Has she come across a dishonest miller, dashing squire, or glutinous member of the clergy yet? Then her story would hit all of the Medieval poetry tropes. I have to be honest, I forgot much of her story as I was powering through the books. Not that they're bad, I just really wanted to finish and was short on time. Another reason I rushed is because I foolishly believed TWoW would be out late this year (I had no idea how slow GRRM worked beforehand, I just knew years had already passed).

She has come across at least two of those three, though their personalities are different. Since when has GRRM followed any trope to a T? I'm not saying it's an even homage, much like how the War of the Roses homage is barely existent.

She is a bit more innocent and I think less bitter and angry. I do like that Brienne on TV isn't shy, though. She gets shit done. Book Brienne is smarter for not being like that, though.

I guess I'm torn on which I prefer.

But either way, I love me some Brienne.

What the hell is this?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...-role-is-clearly-a-game-of-thrones-conspiracy

I don't even know but if it gets Guy Pearce into GoT I will be fucking happy.

LOL Impossible.

What the hell is this?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...-role-is-clearly-a-game-of-thrones-conspiracy

I don't even know but if it gets Guy Pearce into GoT I will be fucking happy.

See this is exactly why I didn't think they would end it with him dead as if they plan to bring him back next season then there is no possible way for them to keep this a secret in this day and age so it was a pretty stupid thing to end on really.

Edit: Also it's funny if this is their way to try and cover their tracks by making up a film that just so happens to also star the one person who Kit needs to be with him to bring him back.

Iksenpets

Banned
D&D would gain a ton of respect from me and many other people if they pull a Kojima with a fake project.

You actually just made me go check to make sure the movie wasn't being directed by some Joakim-Mogren-style, unheard-of, first-time director, because I wanted this theory to be true. And Guy Pearce had shown up as a very handsome Howland Reed to reveal the truth about everything. It'd be so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom