• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well more importantly, who is having it?

Since everyone is dead or missing that they mentioned so far in casting. If it's like Cersei last year, it will cut to the person remembering it.

I think anything that's a potential flashback dealing with Starks stands a good chance to be delivered through Bran.

I could see them doing a series of flashbacks over the course of the Stark children's lives building up to the Tower of Joy to tell the R+L=J story. You could also have but of young Benjen to reestablish him if he's ever going to be important again. A brief story of playing as children > Tourney at Harrenhall > Tower of Joy would establish all the relationships and tell the story well enough. But so far no casting for. Lyanna or a Howland or a Rhaegar or anything, so they're probably not going that far.

That could be amazing so naturally they wouldn't do it.

It's certainly some Bran induced flashback.

Supposedly someone from reddit went to the GoT studio in Belfast and saw a ton of gasoline there.

..And I was walking past the main hangar and the doors were open so I had a cheeky peek in and there was a METRIC SHIT TON of gasoline/petrol. Like i’m talking 20, 20 gallon barrels filled with the stuff. So I thought about it and i’m guessing there’s either going to be a fire in the Red Keep Throne Room, (as that set is built in NI), maybe the whole Cersei going Mad King in Kings Landing will lead up to it or it’s simply being used for fuel for the crew vehicles.

And then there was this

Irish Thrones
‏@IrishThrones
From sources: Small boats seen and an on hand Fire truck (maybe for back up safety support) entering Titanic Studios in Belfast(Iron Throne)

You guys know what this means right?

KINGS LANDING IS BURNING TO THE GROUND, or it could just be Cersei burning the tower.

Euron

Maybe it happens within the first half of book 6. We are really in the dark here now so anything can happen.
This is GRRM we're talking about. Aside from events we already know of and possibly RW2: Electric Boogaloo, the first half of book 6 will consist of travelogues, food descriptions, and nipples on a breastplate.

The thing is the stuff we know about already is actually really exciting and with so much happening at the beginning I can't see that happening until the end of TWOW at the earliest.

axb2013

30 hours remaining is better than 20, I can't complain about that. The only drawback is the ~110 weeks of offseason combined. I envy people that won't start watching until it's done airing.

Slight OT here but Netflix spoiled me with their House of Cards "season buffet" delivery. I'll never pick up a weekly airing show again, not until it's finished airing. I'm done with the concept of being spoon-fed entertainment one hour per week for ten weeks and then weened off for the next 40 but not before building up suspense in final moments of a given season.

Offseason is coming. And you know what's coming with it.

NeoGiff

30 hours remaining is better than 20, I can't complain about that.

Not from where I'm standing. If we're to assume that David and Dan had set their sights on 7 seasons previous, and now in their righteous fucking indignation realigned their interests toward 8 - and considering the subsequent fucking rapidity with which the cocksuckers sallied forth during season 5 - the prospects of the series at large remaining bloatless and on fucking track have just been fucking scalped, chief.

(I've been watching Deadwood again, sorry. It's McShane's fault for being cast. The cocksucker.)

I could see them doing a series of flashbacks over the course of the Stark children's lives building up to the Tower of Joy to tell the R+L=J story. You could also have but of young Benjen to reestablish him if he's ever going to be important again. A brief story of playing as children > Tourney at Harrenhall > Tower of Joy would establish all the relationships and tell the story well enough. But so far no casting for. Lyanna or a Howland or a Rhaegar or anything, so they're probably not going that far.

They'll do this, but spread it over three seasons. How does that sound? Shitty but likely?

Not from where I'm standing. If we're to assume that David and Dan had set their sights on 7 seasons previous, and now in their righteous fucking indignation realigned their interests toward 8 - and considering the subsequent fucking rapidity with which the cocksuckers sallied forth during season 5 - the prospects of the series at large remaining bloatless and on fucking track have just been fucking scalped, chief.

(I've been watching Deadwood again, sorry. It's McShane's fault for being cast. The cocksucker.)

The colorful language of this post is a delight. In all seriousness though, on a macro level I think we all know that Dance/Feast represent the transition or bridge in the series, and I can't say I blame Benioff and Weiss for deciding to burn through the transitional phase of George's books.

Obviously on a micro level, we can (and have) discuss the successes and failures of the execution until the cows direwolves come home, but that's another matter.

NeoGiff

The colorful language of this post is a delight. In all seriousness though, on a macro level I think we all know that Dance/Feast represent the transition or bridge in the series, and I can't say I blame Benioff and Weiss for deciding to burn through the transitional phase of George's books.

Obviously on a micro level, we can (and have) discuss the successes and failures of the execution until the cows direwolves come home, but that's another matter.

I never actually looked at it that way. I suppose with 8 seasons it could work in this sense:

Act 1: (Seasons 1-3) Everything up to the Red Wedding, which sets the tone for the series going forward.

Act 2: (Seasons 4 & 5) The transitional phase, wrapping up hanging plot threads while laying the groundwork for what's to come.

Act 3: (Seasons 6-8) The surge towards the ending, whatever that may be.

It makes a nice 3-2-3 season structure. Although, it's a bit early to try and define the show by "acts", if that's even possible or necessary.

Euron

30 hours remaining is better than 20, I can't complain about that. The only drawback is the ~110 weeks of offseason combined. I envy people that won't start watching until it's done airing.

Slight OT here but Netflix spoiled me with their House of Cards "season buffet" delivery. I'll never pick up a weekly airing show again, not until it's finished airing. I'm done with the concept of being spoon-fed entertainment one hour per week for ten weeks and then weened off for the next 40 but not before building up suspense in final moments of a given season.

Offseason is coming. And you know what's coming with it.
With any other show, I would agree. I stopped watching Hannibal live because of the commercials and I just want to experience the rest of the season all in the same time frame. But with GOT, I love the periods in between episodes where we analyze everything that happened and make predictions for the future. I think it's necessary that we have a week to recover from some of the bigger moments, so we can fully appreciate the good in each episode.

I'm disappointed. No Bad Pussy, 20 good men, or Oysters, Clams, and Cockles in that rant.

Turin

Banned
I like the show, so I'm fine with more seasons to be honest.

Heck after the main storyline ends, I wouldn't mind them doing a "new series" where they follow Aegon's Conquest or some other time period.

I'm down for a prequel series as long as D&D isn't involved. If for nothing else then to have a fresh set of eyes.

Iksenpets

Banned

Iksenpets

Banned

I know we're hyped for ToJ, but I'm worried about there being no sign of Howland or Lyanna yet. I need to know what sort of bog magic Howland used to defeat Dayne and save Ned!

Similarly with Walder pretty much confirmed back, I'm hyped, but at the same time bummed there's no sign of Thoros or Beric. Or Blackfish or Edmure for that matter. Season 3 Riverlands has so far far felt really isolated from the rest of the show, so I'd really like to see all of those characters back.

I know we're hyped for ToJ, but I'm worried about there being no sign of Howland or Lyanna yet. I need to know what sort of bog magic Howland used to defeat Dayne and save Ned!

I think they probably are direct offering someone they had in mind for the role of lyanna.

Either that, or they'll keep it at an extra level and not focus on her face to keep with a hyper stylized dream state flashback.

Why does everyone think Howland used magic? Seems like he probably just saved him by being another body there. Or took him out from behind or something.

With this news, maybe it's actually happening?

I hope it is.

Apt101

Mads Mikkelsen should be Arthur Dayne.

My impression of Dayne is of a conventionally pretty blonde man, likely grim in countenance like Eddard Stark. The kind of presence and voice that carries, extremely confident. Like a Westerosi version of a 1950's G-man from pulp fiction.

Just saw this on westeros.org

So on Max von Sydow's twitter he tweeted about being proud of joining GoT and tagged maisie, sophie, nikolai, and iwan. And then there is a final tag, Eric Roberts.

The account isn't verified but the verified Eric Roberts Twitter account retweeted it.

Here is the link.

And here's a pic of Eric Roberts if you don't know who he is.

RiffTrax-_Eric_Roberts_in_The_Dark_Knight.jpg

So what does this mean? Did Max accidentally leak a new casting or did he just thank him for some reason?

Could this be our Euron?

Turin

Banned
My impression of Dayne is of a conventionally pretty blonde man, likely grim in countenance like Eddard Stark. The kind of presence and voice that carries, extremely confident. Like a Westerosi version of a 1950's G-man from pulp fiction.

Facially, Eric Johnson(Dr. Gallinger in The Knick) comes to my mind for Dayne.

n-ERIC-JOHNSON-THE-KNICK-large570.jpg

Not sure if he has the kind of physicality that's wanted.

NeoGiff

Wow, it's that sleazy prick from Suits who also happens to be that random FBI (I think) agent in Justified.

The only thing I'd be concerned about with him is his accent. Not that accent consistency has ever mattered on this show anyway.

Euron

Roberts just barely makes it into the age group for Euron but fits right into the Randyll Tarly group. If accent is a problem then I doubt he'll be Randyll. I would have loved for McShane to take that role but if his role is smaller then that won't be it.

Would be a very odd casting choice for the role considering they've been so on point with everything else and Roberts isn't on the list of names I'm allowing D&D to pick from.

Iksenpets

Banned
Eric Roberts? lmao, what a left field casting choice. I wonder if it will happen.

After the general resistance to casting American actors except in a handful of cases (Oberyn and Drogo, cases where ethnic requirements for the roles were bound to make America more fertile ground for finding them than Europe) it would be weird that Eric Roberts would be our first major exception.

Doesn't really fit my mental image of any character. Maybe he'll put on a nice Cajun accent for Howland Reed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom