• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
What similarities are those? Serious question as I haven't read the books in years now (gearing up for a reread this month) and I don't recall thinking anything like that

Oh it was a joke. There's a weird theory out there on the internet that Daario is actually Euron in disguise, working to woo Dany and steal her dragons, and that he's been using blood magic to make his ship super fast so he can sail back and forth between Pyke and Meereen to keep up the ruse. The actual evidence is pretty much just that Euron is called "Crow's Eye" and refers to himself as a storm, while Daario heads up a company called the Stormcrows, and has blue hair which could be part of a disguise. It's pretty silly. I was just joking that if we're apparently going to get evidence for the Clegane and lemon tree theories today, GRRM should go all out and throw a bone to the Euron = Daario people.

Daemul

That moment when you're reading TWOW and Preston Jacob's theory is proven to be true. I'm not emotionally invested in these theories like many book readers seem to be so it wouldn't bother me, but witnessing the flood of tears of people who are would be glorious.

What is this?

These are the videos in this ridiculous theory.

The Tower of Joy Joy Joy Part 1

The Tower of Joy Joy Joy Part 2
The Tower of Joy Joy Joy Part 3

There's a large gap between when the second and third video and I'm still pretty sure it was because he was struggling with how to get what he uses to support the claim. Beware of picking and choosing quotes out context, twisting the narrative in nonsensical ways and relying on a good bit of convolution. Don't know if he's still active but use to go by Skinchanging Sweetrobin on ASOIAF I think he might've been chased off.

I never understood the lemon theory. Sure, lemons don't grow in Braavos, but she was living with wealthy patrons and there's nothing the wealthy love doing more than defying nature. I see houses with big yards trying desperately to grow sad little stunted palm trees in middle America all the time. A rich Braavosi would totally plant an ecologically impossible lemon tree in his yard.

But now that we've apparently confirmed cleganebowl and the lemon stuff in one day, maybe someone can get GRRM to comment on the curious similarities between Euron and Daario, too.

Before people start with the lemon tree conspiracies...

Trees did not grow on Braavos, save in the courts and gardens of the mighty.

The above line is from AFFC. If we take Dany's memories as reasonably reliable and accept that "the house with the red door" was truly in Braavos, this tells you that it likely belonged to a wealthy or otherwise politically powerful Braavosi, what with the lemon tree and all. Also, if you recall, the secret marriage pact between House Targaryen and House Martell was signed in Braavos with the Sealord as witness. For all we know, "the house with the red door" is the Sealord's Palace.

After all, it would make sense to spirit Dany and Viserys to the safest possible location following the Sack; and where is safer than the Palace of the most powerful man of a very powerful and politically independent city-state, who also happens to be a key broker of your family's clandestine agreement to restore the Targaryens to the throne? The fact that lemon trees are only ever mentioned as growing in Dorne could be a clever nod to this - maybe the tree was a Martell gift for witnessing the pact.

Curiously, The Lands of Ice and Fire map collection depicts Braavos as almost completely barren; that is, except for the immense garden surrounding the Sealord's Palace.

Note: I do NOT take credit for this theory. Just cobbling information I've read elsewhere.

Preston Jacobs was not the first person to flag the lemon tree thing. He deserves no credit IMO. Dude is a complete hack who makes actual theorists look bad imo.

bengraven

I think Dany was raised in Dorne. The Martells have long supported her and Vis's claim, supposedly. It would make sense for them to end up there after leaving Dragonstone - hell, maybe the "storm" she was born in set them off course.

My only question is - why were they forced to leave? And was fAegon there?

- Deadline interview: 'Game Of Thrones' Director Jeremy Podeswa
But what can you tell us about Season 6?

They got the actors (together) before the show started filming and we did read-throughs of all 10 scripts, but we did them by storylines. So, all the storylines that involved certain characters—we read through the entire 10 scripts for those characters. Then the next day we followed a few other characters and followed them through all 10 scripts. We got a real sense of how the stories arc-through for each character for the whole season. That was really exciting to listen to because everybody’s got an amazing storyline this year. I think the way the characters converge is something that started last season, where characters who have never met before were suddenly meeting, and the worlds are coming together, and the world is getting a little smaller in a way. That happens more and more this season. That becomes very exciting. One thing I can say about the first two episodes of the season is that there’s not a lot of laying pipe or laying track. We just get right into the story and it’s very propulsive narratively—the whole season is—and it’s heading towards a destination that is very exciting.
- EW: Damon Lindelof in praise of GoT Season 5

Iksenpets

Banned
I think Dany was raised in Dorne. The Martells have long supported her and Vis's claim, supposedly. It would make sense for them to end up there after leaving Dragonstone - hell, maybe the "storm" she was born in set them off course.

My only question is - why were they forced to leave? And was fAegon there?

I just don't get what Dany having lived in Dorne would actually mean. Ok, so Doran was supporting her from the start, but we already know he's a Targ loyalist. He can't have known about Aegon, unless he was faking his confusion to Arianne when they got Connington's letter, and why would he do that?

If she was staying with the Sealord, hence being somewhere with someone rich enough to force a lemon tree to grow in Braavos, then at least that would open some possibility for some new story, since maybe the Sealord really was won over to Team Aegon and evicted Dany on account of that.

I just don't get what Dany having lived in Dorne would actually mean. Ok, so Doran was supporting her from the start, but we already know he's a Targ loyalist. He can't have known about Aegon, unless he was faking his confusion to Arianne when they got Connington's letter, and why would he do that?

If she was staying with the Sealord, hence being somewhere with someone rich enough to force a lemon tree to grow in Braavos, then at least that would open some possibility for some new story, since maybe the Sealord really was won over to Team Aegon and evicted Dany on account of that.

To comment on your second paragraph, and as a follow-up to my above post, one of the keys to figuring out where Dany was living is first figuring out why she left. The Dorne theories lack a plausible explanation.

As for the Sealord's Palace, one of the few things we know about the Sealord is that, when it comes time to choose another, the "knives will come out." In other words, it is not a hereditary succession and the struggle for the position can turn violent. If, according to my above post, Dany was staying with the Sealord who witnessed the Targaryen-Martell pact, then it's plausible to imagine a scenario in which that Sealord's death somehow followed or preceded Willem Darry's death, or was related in some way. Under such circumstances, and without Darry or the Sealord to protect Dany and Viserys, those left at the Sealord's Palace may have no reason to continue harboring geopolitically dangerous refugees. Thus, their possessions were stolen and they were turned out once again, only to travel from Free City to Free City before arriving in Pentos at the start of AGOT.

NeoGiff

Are there storylines that I am more invested in than others? Of course. That’s always going to be the case when six or seven different things are happening at any one time. But as a storyteller, if you can make one, let alone two, excellent hours of television a season if you’re doing eight or 10 episodes—an excellent episode by all accounts—I think what people don’t realize is that in order to produce those excellent episodes, there have to be episodes that set that up. There also have to be episodes that begin to—although this is never a storyteller’s intent—make [the viewer] go, “I don’t know, I don’t know about this…” That makes those excellent episodes all the more special. And when I was watching [episode 8] “Hardhome” this season, I was just like, “That’s one of the most excellent hours of television I’ve ever seen.” It’s excellent for different reasons than “The Suitcase” episode of Mad Men is excellent, but it’s just amazing. I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. I’m literally watching five minutes of silence—that whole moment where Jon Snow is going off into the water and looking at The Night’s King and he’s doing his “Come at me, bro” moment. And I was just like: “There’s nothing better on television, right now, than this.” You only need to demonstrate excellence once a season for me to view the entire season as excellent, or the entire show as excellent. And Game of Thrones is able to do it at any one time.

RUGKXLH.gif

I can't stand Lindelof as a writer anyway, but this is ludicrous. Having one or two great episodes per season doesn't excuse all the prior schlock in other, unrelated storylines. Next on EW, Pizzaman scoffs at the base writing of the intellectual troglodytes behind GoT!

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I despise Lindelof for The Leftovers. I can't imagine what the people who watched Lost must feel. He reminds me of Peter Molyneux.

NeoGiff

I despise Lindelof for The Leftovers. I can't imagine what the people who watched Lost must feel. He reminds me of Peter Molyneux.

This. It's the one HBO show I've quit mid-season out of utter rage and incomprehension as to how it could be well-regarded by anyone.

Iksenpets

Banned
This. It's the one HBO show I've quit mid-season out of utter rage and incomprehension as to how it could be well-regarded by anyone.

I only watched the premier and found it stupid and baffling. Like, as the episode ended, I just sort of laughed, because what the fuck was that. Never bothered to go back.

Do the show runners know that this last season was the weakest yet, and that it was not very good? Or do they still think that it was as masterful as season 4?

Brakke

Banned
Having one or two great episodes per season doesn't excuse all the prior schlock in other, unrelated storylines.

Doesn't it? It does for me. I guess it depends on what you mean by "excuse". I continue to watch the show despite its problems because I know the good shit is good enough that it's worth rolling eyes at the rest over.

Iksenpets

Banned
Do the show runners know that this last season was the weakest yet, and that it was not very good? Or do they still think that it was as masterful as season 4?

If they think that, they're never going to admit it. They're not going to throw everyone else on the production under the bus by criticizing it. If I had to guess, if you bought them a few drinks and got them off the record, they'd tell you that yeah, it was the weakest season in absolute terms, but that it was also the most impressive season, in terms of the scale of the production and in terms of what they managed to pull off given the difficulty of the material they were adapting. I think they view a season five that was anything other than show-endingly awful as a pretty big success, and are genuinely proud of just how big they managed to make it, even if every plot point didn't land. But that's me reading a lot in between the lines of things they've said.

bengraven

I just don't get what Dany having lived in Dorne would actually mean..

This is exactly it.

What the fuck is the POINT to her living somewhere else? Does that change her story? Does that effect the end game? Why add that there? "I was born in THIS PLACE but lived in ANOTHER PLACE for the first 4 years" - how does this affect who she is now?

Considering she's one of those many characters on the show who had a transformation (Hound, Jaime, Arya, Sansa?, etc) in personality and character (meek girl to mother of dragons), does she even care for that? Or is that a point of these transformed characters, that they still cling to parts of the past (Needle/Arya, Winterfell/Sansa, Cersei/Jaime, etc).

Maybe since she would like to just return to that house with the lemon tree that will be where she ends up, assuming she doesn't get the throne?

flyover

Question: Is Dany confirmed to be barren in the books?
From the information I've gleaned over the last couple pages of this thread, I think she can only give birth to lemons.

This thread at Quora discusses whether she's really barren. I don't know that anything is yet confirmed, but I lean toward her having had a miscarriage at the end of ADWD. (Haven't read any preview chapters for the next book, so I don't know if it's been addressed further.)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

You only need to demonstrate excellence once a season for me to view the entire season as excellent, or the entire show as excellent.

lindelolf strikes again

But we already know they had a hand in it. This just revises things so that they had a hand in it a year or two earlier.

Also just saw on Twitter: http://watchersonthewall.com/are-th...c&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

Season 6:
Looks like Rickon and Osha are back.

Props to them for not recasting Rickon!

belushy

Banned
S6
Ooh, nice! I'm guessing the Northern Lords will be backing Rickon. Which leaves it open for Sansa to probably go back to the Vale when Litlefinger just happens to be in Last Hearth with the Umbers.

CassSept

They wouldn't recast Osha when even GRRM praised her interpretation of the character

Question: Is Dany confirmed to be barren in the books?

There is a popular theory that she can bear a child by the end of ADWD because Mirri's prophecy came true and her bleeding in her final chapter was actually a miscarriage.

A Polish translator has confirmed that he will receive TWOW manuscript to translate in December 2015, aka get hype for no reason.

Also, some supposed Season 6 info from a tourguide/extra on GoT:

This guy has friends still working on GOT in Iceland, Spain, Croatia, etc. He mentioned that Kit Harrington has been seen on location, and they just finished filming his funeral last week. He also mentioned that the plan is to kill off a major female character in the first episode.

Our tour guide didn't know whether Jon comes back to life for sure, but he had the following theory: Melisandre will die in Episode 1 shortly before they burn Jon Snow's body. Jon Snow will burn and that will be the end of the episode, leaving fans to sweat for even longer now that Melisandre's not there. And then the big reveal will come later on - the funeral pyre actually revives Jon Snow.

Extra tidbits our tour guide shared with us on S6:
-Stannis hasn't shown up on set
-Spain is a major location this season
-The Iron Islands are a thing - a big thing
-He found it important to remind us of the various Valyrian steel weapons there are in Westeros, even going so far as to bring up Littlefinger's dagger, Tommen's Widow's Wail, Brienne's Oathkeeper, and strangely, the Tarlys' Heartsbane
-I asked him about Michelle Fairley/Catelyn Stark, and he said you'd more likely see her come back in a flashback around the time of Robert's Rebellion, than see her come back as Lady Stoneheart
-He basically educated all the TV-only visitors on the tour on R + L = J, which I didn't like, but maybe it's a hint that this is really going to be a thing revealed soon.
-He said Nikolaj Coster-Waldau is a terrible swordsman.
-He said all the crew are pretty sure Lena Headey's second child, Tallulah Kiarra Headey, is Pedro Pascal's, though it hasn't been officially announced. :)

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I really hope that part above about someone dying isn't true.

Seriously I swear to god, why the fuck would they kill off Melisandre? Who the fuck will Jon Snow talk to?

bengraven

His twin brother is going to come back. Kill Mel. Explain that this was why Lyanna died in childbirth - too many wolves. We learn he's got three other twins. One for each of the Stark children...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom