• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Banned
I don't imagine anyone was expecting to like Wyman at all when we're first introduced to him. That's what made the speech so great. This guy's on our side and he knows how to play the game. The fat man's got some stones.

Real Hero

It's been said multiple times by many people both in the books and the show, but Manderly's speech is one of my favorite scenes in the whole series.

It's really good, it just sort of feels like the point as already been emphasised in the show to the point the speech wouldn't have the same impact as it did in the books.

Turin

Banned
Plus he's crazy. He will eat people to get his revenge.

giphy.gif

Guys, something has been bothering me recently, and it was exacerbated today by that piece that went up on Watchers about diversity.

I'm a young, healthy, straight, white, Irish male (and I make no apology for this - it's who I am), and I couldn't give a shit about the "race issues" and political correctness people seem so obsessed about in various forms of media. I have discussed this at length with a close friend in the film industry. He also happens to be white, straight and male (he's English). We both feel the same way, which is to say we're completely baffled and angry at the over-the-top, white knight-esque reactions to casting/non-casting of actors who aren't white.

I'll put it bluntly. The way we (and pretty much most of Western Europe) see it is that it's the creator's own world, and whether they do or don't adhere to historical inspiration is up to them, and everyone else can fuck off and stop inserting their own self-righteous opinions. This isn't to say that a work can't be criticised - I'm on record here of absolutely laying into the show.

Does this make me racist? No it doesn't. Obviously I'm all for equality. But this unhealthy obsession with non-white people being cast in a pseudo-historical setting when they have absolutely no business appearing there other than appeasing a few uptight people needs to end.

I think in a broad strokes, Europeans aren't as defensive and quick to anger on these issues as Americans are (I may have just stepped on a landmine, but the point is worth considering).

What do you think?

Edit: I also saw an inference that the reason people dislike the Sand Snakes is because they're the first major characters in the show who aren't stereotypically white/Western. Despite not actually being true (hello Oberyn), points of view like this are exceedingly ignorant. I don't hate the Sand Snakes because they're not white. I hate them because they're terribly written, terribly acted, and feel jarringly out of place with the rest of the show. But apparently that's just an excuse for my racism. Oh well.

I agree with you and I'm South American.

I just like to have accurate representations in adaptations to the point that annoys me the fact they don't dye Emilia Clarke's brows or put violet eye lenses, or that they stopped to dye Tyrion's hair that now is brown. That said, I think the Sand Snakes' appearance are the way they supposed to be in the series (except for Tyene who should be blonde). The dornish are mixed, with some having dark complexions others having fair complexions.

Isak_Borg

just a crazy random happenstance huh

LOL!

What's funny about this whole race crap is that I'm actually into the books/series for their nuance on race. The fact that people of color exist in a fantasy world is kind of amazing.

I wish the books were more diverse but so it goes.

While no one probably wants or expects 10 seasons... Why do these guys always seem like they can't wait for it to be over?

Obviously the work is exhausting, and some of the fanbase is thankless, but clearly it's going to be one of the most (if not the) most successful things they ever lay hands on in their career. The Emmy's would bolster that notion.

They have been working their asses off all year for the past 6-7 years, to the point where one of them said they started taking anti-anxiety pills. It's not surprising they feel the way they do.

mantidor

While no one probably wants or expects 10 seasons... Why do these guys always seem like they can't wait for it to be over?

Obviously the work is exhausting, and some of the fanbase is thankless, but clearly it's going to be one of the most (if not the) most successful things they ever lay hands on in their career. The Emmy's would bolster that notion.

I think you are being generous, most of the fanbase absolutely despise them. People love GRRM, love the actors, love Dinklage, the settings and costumes, when something awesome happens GRRM will be credited, when something is done poorly they get the blame.

The thing is, they get the blame with reason, the most criticized aspects of the show are the ones they came up with.

Isak_Borg

They have been working their asses off all year for the past 6-7 years, to the point where one of them said they started taking anti-anxiety pills. It's not surprising they feel the way they do.

Working on a creative project for 6+ years that isn't even your own creation can be exhausting and draining. I'm sure they're trying to figure out an original project they can work on after this because having fans breathing down your neck year after year must suck.

RaidenZR

I think you are being generous, most of the fanbase absolutely despise them. People love GRRM, love the actors, love Dinklage, the settings and costumes, when something awesome happens GRRM will be credited, when something is done poorly they get the blame.

The thing is, they get the blame with reason, the most criticized aspects of the show are the ones they came up with.

By fanbase, I mean just show watchers. Not the Lindas of the world who have questionable sanity.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Working on a creative project for 6+ years that isn't even your own creation can be exhausting and draining. I'm sure they're trying to figure out an original project they can work on after this because having fans breathing down your neck year after year must suck.

Whatever they do next is going to be very interesting.

Massa

"most of the fanbase"? Not even close. Not by a longshot.

Also, of course people like you say they get the blame "with reason". Ignoring all the work they do except when you don't like something can't lead to anything else.

It's really good, it just sort of feels like the point as already been emphasised in the show to the point the speech wouldn't have the same impact as it did in the books.
It was just nice to see a "good" twist. Here you think Wyman is a bafoon but instead he's the biggest BAMF in the north.

mantidor

You're right. Most of the fanbase doesn't even know who D&D are.

That's kind of my point though, they only get bad feedback. If anyone has more than just a passing interesting in the show they will gravitate more towards Martin than D&D. Who will honestly chose D&D over Martin in the writing part? like seriously?

When I say fanbase I mean not casual show watchers, but people with enough interest in the series to know who D&D are, even if they are not necessarily invested completely in the books.

So whatever good job they do gets lost. For instance I loved Tywin and Arya, but it's far from common knowledge among the casual audience this is exclusive of the show, Sansa losing the agency she gained and ending up raped by Ramsay? that even got to newspapers, how it "wasn't even in the books". The friend who got me into the series is actually a pretty casual show watcher and she didn't think it was that terrible, but she has absolutely no idea who the writers are and what is and isn't in the books, and she certainly won't tweet to D&D telling them she enjoyed the season overall sand snakes and all.

edit: I guess I'm using the word "fanbase" wrong :p I initially wouldn't have called my friend part of the fanbase, but from what you guys are saying she probably is.

mantidor

I'm pretty sure NeoGiff is Linda.

The Lindas of the world need to go back into the troll hole they came out of.

I've read some of Linda's tweets so I can safely say what you are saying is beyond hyperbole :p You can criticize the show without going to such lengths of insanity.

But this is factually wrong when you consider that the individual has striven to base the setting in question on a very specific time and place in history, along with keeping the authenticity of many of the features that come with said setting.

"based on" is not "equivalent to." full stop.

Westeros is not Europe circa the Wars of the Roses. Lifting some things from history made for a plot structure that was easy to work around. It's also standard in fantasy. That GRRM included any diversity at all is, yeah, sure, kinda cool for fantasy because it hasn't always been so common. That doesn't mean it always has to be that way, and it doesn't mean that there was zero diversity in the aforementioned actual historical setting.

"Based on" still means "creator has control." It's fantasy, a world created out of literally nothing, brought into being by its creators, who are absolutely free to do whatever they want in keeping with a consistent universe (that they've created). Anyone, though, who thinks a created consistent universe must not include diversity is pretty well fixed in one worldview. That still doesn't make it the only possible worldview.

NeoGiff

Looks like I shouldn't have brought it up. I admit that I have very strong opinions but am always willing to reconsider through reasonable debate. But apparently I'm Linda.

See ya.

Apt101

Is political correctness now a thing regarding ASoIaF/GoT? That's the world GRRM built and they seem to stick pretty close for the most part - not sure what people are asking for. Even so, the casting still seems pretty diverse. I was just rewatching a scene with Areo Hotah and for a moment completely forgot he wasn't black in the books. Same with what's her face, Dany's attendant, and some other characters I am drawing blanks on right now.

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is I'm fine if they stick to casting more closely aligned with the books or just outright cast certain roles with actors of different races. Not a big deal, it's all fantasy anyways. But I don't see the point in trying to actively cast more people of different races just for the sake of doing so. It'd be fucking weird to have Jaime Lannister cast as some Asian dude with a blonde whig, for example.

I take that back. That would actually be funny.

Moff

what the hell, I always imagined areo hotah black, what's wrong with me.

on the PC issue, I think there are points to be raised. there was a long discussion about this about witcher 3 on GAF, I can see the points on both sides, honestly.

Famassu

Is political correctness now a thing regarding ASoIaF/GoT? That's the world GRRM built and they seem to stick pretty close for the most part - not sure what people are asking for. Even so, the casting still seems pretty diverse. I was just rewatching a scene with Areo Hotah and for a moment completely forgot he wasn't black in the books. Same with what's her face, Dany's attendant, and some other characters I am drawing blanks on right now.

Anyways, I guess what I'm saying is I'm fine if they stick to casting more closely aligned with the books or just outright cast certain roles with actors of different races. Not a big deal, it's all fantasy anyways. But I don't see the point in trying to actively cast more people of different races just for the sake of doing so. It'd be fucking weird to have Jaime Lannister cast as some Asian dude with a blonde whig, for example.

I take that back. That would actually be funny.
I don't think you understand what political correctness means.

Apt101

Yea, in the books Areo is described a typical-looking Westerosi with white hair. Like a lot of guys from around Starfall/House Dayne.

Iksenpets

Banned
Looks like I shouldn't have brought it up. I admit that I have very strong opinions but am always willing to reconsider through reasonable debate. But apparently I'm Linda.

See ya.

I am genuinely sorry that someone invoked the name of Linda on you. That's not cool even in the most heated of debates!

WoTW: Some new details and pics from Daenerys' storyline from Season 6

She's back with Daario but where's Jorah Connington?

Probably hiding in a bush watching Dany and Daario and crying to himself as he wonders how Daario manages to be so cool.

I've said it before but the thing that really concerns me is that when GRRM passes away (which of course I hope isn't anytime soon, of course) Elio & Linda will become the defacto gatekeepers of his legacy, alongside his wife Paris. I don't think this is a bad thing with respect to Elio, and I'm sure Paris will carry on George's wishes. But the idea of Linda having a seat at that table makes me upset. She is an emotionally unstable, ugly person. I don't mean ugly in terms of physical attraction, I'm talking about the way she talks to people. The way she interacts with fans. It's not a good look.

I understand why she can't be exiled. She's engaged to Elio, who we all can agree is a good guy. He's not going to throw her in the trash because fans don't like her, and rightfully so; that's his fiance. But good lord, her behavior is pathetic and it's sad no one "inside" will ever address it.

axb2013

There was an aftershow vid where a show watcher figures it out on camera, can't remember which show/what episode it was though.

Send a raven if you happen to remember, it would honor my house. I live watching people in shock when they spontaneously figure it out on camera.

Iksenpets

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom