• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Here's to the hope that they make a product that holds up to my childhood memory
I'm just happy a legit sequel is finally fucking happening. I was certain Fallout games would be the only things even remotely related that would live on. If it follows in the spirit of WL1 correctly, this should automatically be better than the entirety of the FO series.

Amazon took the $165. Very pleased I help make this happen.

Here's to the hope that they make a product that holds up to my childhood memory

When you watch Brian Fargo in his videos or read some of his interviews, he really does seem to have a good understanding of what he wants this sequel to be. I almost get the feeling that he already has most of it worked out in his head, and will utilize Ken St. Andre, Chris Avellone and co. to help flesh it out for him. Even the early concept art looks rock solid.

And inXile Entertainment seems like a competent enough group of developers. Sure they haven't released anything amazing yet. But they are far from terrible. Give them a strong idea with a good sense of direction, and they may turn out something great.

But I really hope this game doesn't suffer from too much from backer/ fanbase intervention. Getting feedback from the fanbase is one thing, but the moment the fans/ backers start to dictate the direction of the game, things might start to go to hell.

Overall, I feel positive about this project. Maybe it won't end up being AAA, but hell, even an A- or B+ would be great. Give people a nice big game world to explore with compelling enough quests and a good team party battle system with a similar feeling of atmosphere to the original, and they will be happy.

I really can't wait to see some more concept art and early beta/ mock ups of this one.

Overall, I feel positive about this project. Maybe it won't end up being AAA, but hell, even an A- or B+ would be great. Give people a nice big game world to explore with compelling enough quests and a good team party battle system, and they will be happy.

It's a type of game that simply isn't made anymore. Dragon Age: Origins was the last title from this tradition. Any entry is a good thing, but I have faith in the names behind this. You know they're going to work their hearts out.

When you watch Brian Fargo in his videos or read some of his interviews, he really does seem to have a good understanding of what he wants this sequel to be. I almost get the feeling that he already has most of it worked out in his head, and will utilize Ken St. Andre to help flesh it out for him. Even the early concept art looks rock solid.

I often got a "used car salesman" vibe from Brian's videos, which led to me lowering my pledge to $15 from $50. I only kept the pledge at all, because of Chris Avellone.

I often got a "used car salesman" vibe from Brian's videos, which led to me lowering my pledge from $15 to $50. I only kept the pledge at all, because of Chris Avellone.

Maybe his sales pitch tactics come off as being like a used car salesman, and he uses some cheesy tactics to get more funding. But when he talks about his own game, he seems to know what he wants. At least that is what I think, anyway. Lets hope that he can be a strong leader and know when to put a leash on the backers/ fanbase when they start asking for absurd things.

I really don't understand the thought process behind waiting till the last minute to donate and why huge spikes in donations happen very near the end.

It's simple human psychology, and it makes perfect sense.

1. People get swept up in the excitement.
2. Fence-sitters decide to take the plunge before it's too late.
3. Helping everyone to reach a common goal (hitting $3 million).
4. Feeling a "part" of an event/group.

It is the event thing, but it's also because that's when you can basically ensure right there that you currently have the money to pledge as it only charges once the time is up and it is over the needed amount.

zkylon

zkylewd
3 million baby!

About 30 pages ago I bet it'd reach 3m and even I didn't believe it would get there. So happy about this right now

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
The cake was a lie.

Hey, using a meme doesnt save your from your responsibility! Who knows, maybe Gez donated more only so that he will get a cake from you? Be a man, and bake the cake!

:p

It's simple human psychology, and it makes perfect sense.

1. People get swept up in the excitement.
2. Fence-sitters decide to take the plunge before it's too late.
3. Helping everyone to reach a common goal (hitting $3 million).
4. Feeling a "part" of an event/group.

Well donating via Paypal on the very last day makes some sense, since some people may not be sure if they can afford it until then.

But anyway, they've taken down the Paypal page in favour of a pre-order page but they still managed to get another $5000+ after the Kickstarter closed.

Decado

So it wrapped up just short of $3m. Does that mean no editor? :( I think the mod community would be awesome for this title.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So it wrapped up just short of $3m. Does that mean no editor? :( I think the mod community would be awesome for this title.

Editor is a given since they broke it with the Paypal funds :)

This makes me feel good about the future of video games.

yes it does. They basically sold a bunch of games via KS taking out a huge part of the risk proposition, we get a game and when it hits retail; make some profit; then it will lead to the next great games; and all uncluttered by publisher pressure.

So so so loooking forward to WL2 next year.

DUDE WHAT. No way I expected it to make this much. I mean, I definitely expected it to hit 1mil but almost three times that?!

Good fucking job, inXile. Your Line Rider days are hopefully long behind you from now on.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand.... it's over!

Kickstarter Final Tally: $2,933,147
PayPal Current Tally: $107,137

Total: $3,040,284

Wow, nicely done!

colbert_wedidit.jpg

Someone check my math.

They've got, like 2.8M left?

zkylon

zkylewd
Someone check my math.

They've got, like 2.8M left?
According to what DF posted in their backers forums, it's 5% Amazon, 5% Kickstarter. I don't know how much Paypal asks you, but I guess it's another 5%.

My number's $2,741,614. Double Fine spent like 400k on rewards, so taking that estimate (a bit more than 10%) they'll probably end up with about 2.4 million.

I think that's more money for development than DF ended up with, but that's because they're spending a lot on the documentary.

Blackheim

Update #14 said:
We did it! Thanks to each and every one of you, we have completed our incredibly successful Kickstarter campaign. It has been an amazing ride and one of the most memorable achievements I’ve ever had. Being able to interact with you all on such a personal level has been amazing. I can’t imagine going back to making games any other way. With Double Fine’s success, the world was watching to see if that was an anomaly or if this fan-funded approach could be a viable means of changing the world of video games. Together, we’ve proved that fan-funding is here to stay and we can’t wait to see where you take it next. We are fully committed to doing whatever we can to keep this movement alive and strong.

Before we move on to what’s next, some quick housekeeping: We’ve received messages from some backers saying there were issues when Amazon tried to apply the payment. Kickstarter said they would contact you if this was the case. You can also check to make sure it worked correctly by logging into Kickstarter. They give 7 days to correct your payments, so please check it soon. After that grace-period, your pledge and reward is cancelled, and nobody wants that to happen!

Now on to the fun stuff… If your tier contained any rewards where we need to gather your information for use in the game, we will soon be doing so through Kickstarter. Keep on the lookout for this notification. There is no need to update your shipping address yet as we will collect it when we get closer to the release of the game next year.

We have opened up a store at http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store. We currently have the digital copy available for $20, and we will leave that preorder up during production. If you have friends that missed out on the Kickstarter but still want a copy of the game, they can go there and still get it cheaper than after it is released. Also, if you forgot to add $15 for international shipping on physical rewards, we have added a PayPal option to do so in the store. In the near future, we will open a backer-only store with some great exclusive items that won’t be available to the general public.

So, now we get started on the game! We are in full production mode for the next 18 months. Expect to see many updates as we start to shape the experience that you’ve helped create. If you want to stay in the loop in between our Kickstarter updates, head to our blog and forums at http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/. We will be spending a lot of time interacting with all of you there.

Together, we’ve proved that fan-funding is here to stay and we can’t wait to see where you take it next. We are fully committed to doing whatever we can to keep this movement alive and strong.

In the near future, we will open a backer-only store with some great exclusive items that won’t be available to the general public.

So, now we get started on the game! We are in full production mode for the next 18 months.

came to post this actually.

snipped out most of the chatter. these are the bits that are interesting to me.

backer store sounds cool. If they do a good ranger figurine. i'm in!

18 months / :'(

came to post this actually.

snipped out most of the chatter. these are the bits that are interesting to me.

backer store sounds cool. If they do a good ranger figurine. i'm in!

18 months / :'(

18 months seems like a sensible time frame. That's 1.5 years. I'd also imagine that they will be giving out beta's to backers for user feedback and testing.

According to what DF posted in their backers forums, it's 5% Amazon, 5% Kickstarter. I don't know how much Paypal asks you, but I guess it's another 5%.

My number's $2,741,614. Double Fine spent like 400k on rewards, so taking that estimate (a bit more than 10%) they'll probably end up with about 2.4 million.

I think that's more money for development than DF ended up with, but that's because they're spending a lot on the documentary.

Obviously, cutting down on the physical shit would be a boon to future campaigns, but it's also a huge nostalgic draw.

also:
Enjoy seeing what it actually costs. $5 discount seems good. I'd like to see a breakdown of how much of a pledge goes towards the reward.

Minsc

Gold Member
Obviously, cutting down on the physical shit would be a boon to future campaigns, but it's also a huge nostalgic draw.

also:
Enjoy seeing what it actually costs. $5 discount seems good. I'd like to see a breakdown of how much of a pledge goes towards the reward.

It's more than $5 if you were talking about the $15 pledge for the game vs the $20 pre-order:

We currently have the digital copy available for $20, and we will leave that preorder up during production. If you have friends that missed out on the Kickstarter but still want a copy of the game, they can go there and still get it cheaper than after it is released.

I thought that meant the game was going to be priced at $20 on release when first seeing that page earlier today, but I guess it's going to be even more going by the info from the latest update above.

It's more than $5 if you were talking about the $15 pledge for the game vs the $20 pre-order:

I thought that meant the game was going to be priced at $20 on release when first seeing that page earlier today, but I guess it's going to be even more going by the info from the latest update above.

I'm guessing it'll sell for $30 in the end.

Zeliard

I'm slightly regretting not getting into the beta. That would have been fun. I got in for $50 but didn't really want to do $55 since that's all-digital, though $75 is a bit too much of a hike from 50 for what is largely just beta entry.

DTKT

I wonder how amazing it feels for Mr.Fargo and his team. They have no one to answer for. He can sit down and design the game he really wants. No publisher oversight, no zealous marketing team.

I mean, yes this is not perfect, he still has to create a game in 18 months and I can't imagine the backlash if the game ends up bad.

But still, this is a one in a lifetime chance to create a product without the usual demands from big publishers.

Go InXile!

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm slightly regretting not getting into the beta. That would have been fun. I got in for $50 but didn't really want to do $55 since that's all-digital, though $75 is a bit too much of a hike from 50 for what is largely just beta entry.
Was in the same exact place as you, ended up going for 50 anyways. It was already $65 for me because of shipment costs, so 90 (75) was a big stretch and 55 was great value but I'm kinda hoping W2's box is as awesome as the first one's.

I never got to contribute to this, being broke as all fuck for the last two months. I will gladly pay for a copy as soon as I can.

Good luck to Fargo and the team!

Theonik

I can understand donating to the developer to get the game started, but pre-ordering before there is any actual media being shown is insane, even though you could pull the pre-order once media is shown... I guess...
You are saving money by pre-ordering. Digital version went for $15 during KS, $20 now and will be even higher on final release.

Top Bottom