• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I haven't been following any of this. Do we know if the HDMI out can be used simultaneously with the audio out from the AV multi out? I only need stereo.

we don't know. You spin the Nintendo roulette wheel and take your chances.

I'd like it too, but for now it'll get plugged directly into the TV via HDMI, and if stereo can be routed to my receiver later, then great. Frankly not having bah-bah's in 5.1 surround is probably a good thing.

Really jealous of you Yanks. Nov 30th seem so far away at this point.

To make it worse, that day I have a uni lecture from 2-5pm.

FUCKKKKKKSSS SAKEEEEEEEEEE.

Does anyone know what time the festivities at Nintendo World are expected to go on until Saturday night? I unfortunately have a bachelor party to attend.

Will their be any events on Sunday during the AM or PM? I made the Wii launch and had a blast.

I thought Need for Speed was confirmed for EU launch window?
Looks pretty dreadful otherwise, launch window promises not held (as expected). Monster Hunter can't come soon enough.

ozfunghi

I've got pre-orders down with ShopTo and Zavvi at £325 and £299 respectively for the ZombiU bundle, but I don't know which one to cancel, if any. Zavvi is £25 cheaper but will arrive like 5 days late - ShopTo pre-order will arrive on a Friday, meaning an awesome weekend of games at an expense :(

Wait, does ZombiU bundle have two Pro controllers? Surely not :\

No, it has one "pro" controller, the Nintendoland pack doesn't have any.

I also hope they fulfil all the online orders before they allocate the stock to their stores.

This will never happen, B&M customers are always priority (mostly due to the massive overhead of running a retail chain, I believe).

They'll allocate stock to both online orders and B&M locations, simultaneously. Regardless of pre orders fulfilled or to be fulfilled.

OK, seriously tempted to go to out Super Walmart at 10pm Saturday night and wait to get a system (I'll keep my GameStop preorder for backup). Unfortunately they stopped taking preorders on Nov. 1, but they insisted they will be selling systems that night starting at 12am and told me I should still come because I might be able to get one. Should I still try or should I call them again and ask if I can put on layaway just in case this is bad employee info?

Ydahs

I haven't been following any of this. Do we know if the HDMI out can be used simultaneously with the audio out from the AV multi out? I only need stereo.

I hope it does... If not, I'll be without sound, since it's hooked up to my projector with no audio out :(

Though I play with headphones 90% of the time, so it shouldn't be much of an issue if I just plug my headphones into the pad. Unless I want to play multiplayer.

Effect

Anyone else fighting the desire to buy more games then they can really afford in both money and time? Constantly reminding myself that I will not get a backlog with this system. The games aren't going anywhere. It's not my place to worry about helping contribute to good sales early on. Buy on your own time table when your ready for a new experience and have time for it. These are things I have to remind myself over and over again. Perhaps I shouldn't but I am.

Finally decided to just stick with my two launch games (ZombiU and Black Ops 2) and play them when they arrive in the mail. No more worrying about something else to play. In fact if Trine 2 Director's Cut is up on the eShop the first day that is what I'll get. $15 (I think that is how much it will cost or maybe $20) is significantly better then another $60 game that I might be getting just to get instead of a real huge desire to play. Have been really curious about Trine for a while now anyway.

All the games I'm passing on at launch can be gotten for a lower price in the months to come and even then more then likely will be taking a back seat to newer games I'm interested in like Lego City, Pikmin, Mario U (when I get the desire for 2D Mario. Never finished NSMB Wii and still have Donkey Kong to play. It's clearly not going anywhere.) Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Monster Hunter, and hopefully something like Need for Speed and maybe Splinter Cell if they get released. Some won't be gotten even when they first launch though I'm sure. Looking at the other launch games as they simply didn't past the interest test to be bought first and before anything else. Only BO2 and ZombiU did and to a lesser degree Nintendo Land since that was a factor in me ultimately deciding on the Deluxe bundle.

This was bothering me for a few days not but seem calm about the purchasing decisions now.

Lily

I've got pre-orders down with ShopTo and Zavvi at £325 and £299 respectively for the ZombiU bundle, but I don't know which one to cancel, if any. Zavvi is £25 cheaper but will arrive like 5 days late - ShopTo pre-order will arrive on a Friday, meaning an awesome weekend of games at an expense :(

Wait, does ZombiU bundle have two Pro controllers? Surely not :

If it helps...if you are a shopto "gold member" you'll get like £15 store credit if you get the wii u from there.

CronoShot

OK, seriously tempted to go to out Super Walmart at 10pm Saturday night and wait to get a system (I'll keep my GameStop preorder for backup). Unfortunately they stopped taking preorders on Nov. 1, but they insisted they will be selling systems that night starting at 12am and told me I should still come because I might be able to get one. Should I still try or should I call them again and ask if I can put on layaway just in case this is bad employee info?

They probably won't let you put it on layaway, but I'd say you got a pretty good chance of getting one if you get there at like 10pm or something. My Walmart took hardly any preorders for the Wii U. I think like 5 or 6 total.

MarkusRJR

Do we know the track list for Sing Party? I love me some good Karoake/Sing Star so this might be interesting if it has good songs/DLC.

So I emailed Newegg about the Wii U games I have pre-ordered with them, since here we are Thursday, and my Paper Mario pre-order isn't scheduled to be delivered till Friday. Really disappointing response, basically that since they're releasing on a Sunday the games won't ship till Monday or Tuesday at the earliest, just like Paper Mario. With the Thursday after release being Thanksgiving here in the states, I'm not expecting the games to show up till Saturday or the Following Monday at the earliest. Time to stop pre-ordering games from Newegg.

AzerPhire

Unless you heard from GameStop that you won't be getting one on launch day why would you go out and buy a second one? Unless you want to re-sell it? Or you can't wait until the morning to play it.

I just got an email from Satoru Iwata. He apologised and said the Wii U has been cancelled, and that I am to pas on the message to NeoGAF.

I am sorry.

In something completely unrelated, I DID get a response from him. ;p

546823_3527642483262_53063170_n.jpg

Iwata can't say "you" anymore :p

Dat U

Hmmmmmmm heres a question I thought of yesterday, I don't think I'll be using much of the discount with buying digital copies of games on the Wii u shop so that discount might be pointless for me.

So my question is, is it already tied to the system? Or does it come on like a card with the instructions to enter a code to activate it?

LOCK

Nice OP.

So I was recently surprised by my grandparents who knew I was getting a Wii U, so they payed off my preorder :D Now all my savings can go to game purchases.

Love my grandparents.

Iwata can't say "you" anymore :p

Dat U

Hmmmmmmm heres a question I thought of yesterday, I don't think I'll be using much of the discount with buying digital copies of games on the Wii u shop so that discount might be pointless for me.

So my question is, is it already tied to the system? Or does it come on like a card with the instructions to enter a code to activate it?

I really hate the character limit. I sent him the most stupid thing ever with: "URbananalycool" just to be random. Didn't think he'd reply. But the U is fitting now that I think about it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
In something completely unrelated, I DID get a response from him. ;p

This is amazing.

We never got a release date for Wii U NFS.

The launch and launch window game line-up is very good and far from "dreadful" by any means.

Quality is relative, and though I don't think the launch line-up is dreadful, I wouldn't call it "very good" by any stretch of the imagination. But I say that as someone who has zero interest in ports. There's a lot of attractive titles there, it's just a shame (for me) that so many are games I won't be buying because I already own them elsewhere, or wouldn't get them for the Wii U.

Exclusives sell consoles to me, not ports, and in the realm of exclusives there's not a lot that blows me away. ZombiU, The Wonderful 101, and Rayman Legends are all that stand out for me, and only one of them is a launch/2012 game.

Alas, bring on 2012 and the promise of more to come.

Welcome to the future.

Couldnt agree more with your opinion on ports. As someone not married to Nintendo, I've played most of these games already and if I wanted to play them again, I sure as hell wouldn't pay full price again. The only multi-plat that looks interesting is Sonic Racing since it's being released day-and-date with the other versions at the same price.

They probably won't let you put it on layaway, but I'd say you got a pretty good chance of getting one if you get there at like 10pm or something. My Walmart took hardly any preorders for the Wii U. I think like 5 or 6 total.

Ok because someone in here said they won't give you one without a layaway slip. Hopefully that's not true.

Unless you heard from GameStop that you won't be getting one on launch day why would you go out and buy a second one? Unless you want to re-sell it? Or you can't wait until the morning to play it.

I live in North Dakota which has the very annoying "Blue laws," google it. Basically, it's a church influenced set of laws where businesses (yes even Walmart) can't open their doors until noon on Sundays, period. Someone at my GameStop originally thought that Saturday night at 12am might be a loophole for them (it was dumb I believed that) but recently told me they won't be doing a midnight launch since per those laws, it would be illegal. Minnesota is just a few minutes away from where I live and they don't have these idiotic laws and they have a 24 hour Super Walmart. It's not a huge deal, but I'd much rather be able to get my system and set it up late Saturday night and enjoy it a bit instead of having to wait at GameStop the next day starting at 10 or 11am. If I can do this, I'll cancel my GS preorder and use it for in store credit.

jarosh

we don't know. You spin the Nintendo roulette wheel and take your chances.

I'd like it too, but for now it'll get plugged directly into the TV via HDMI, and if stereo can be routed to my receiver later, then great. Frankly not having bah-bah's in 5.1 surround is probably a good thing.

I hope it does... If not, I'll be without sound, since it's hooked up to my projector with no audio out :(

Though I play with headphones 90% of the time, so it shouldn't be much of an issue if I just plug my headphones into the pad. Unless I want to play multiplayer.

Gotcha. I might route from TV to my receiver if that works. Again, I only need stereo. Just kinda shitty having to go Wii U HDMI -> TV - TV Audio out -> receiver.

Soul_Pie

Why can't Australia get WiiU first? It's not fair We gave you...LA Noire. And,er De Blob.

But seriously good luck to all you Americans getting a copy hope you have a blast. Make sure to invite all your friends round to have a go. (or don't and just hog it for yourself, that's okay too)

How many games and accessories are you you all buying with it?

Raven77

I'm so so confused about this.

WHY are no retailers advertising the Wii U in their Black Friday ads??? The original Wii (which according to Nintendo had less supply than the Wii U will) was advertised in every single major retailers Black Friday ad to try and get shoppers into the store and fight Gladiator style for one.

Why are they not doing this now???

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm so so confused about this.

WHY are no retailers advertising the Wii U in their Black Friday ads??? The original Wii (which according to Nintendo had less supply than the Wii U will) was advertised in every single major retailers Black Friday ad to try and get shoppers into the store and fight Gladiator style for one.

Why are they not doing this now???

Most stores won't have any on black friday so corporate is doing the stores a favor.

Why can't Australia get WiiU first? It's not fair We gave you...LA Noire. And,er De Blob.

But seriously good luck to all you Americans getting a copy hope you have a blast. Make sure to invite all your friends round to have a go. (or don't and just hog it for yourself, that's okay too)

How many games and accessories are you you all buying with it?

Hey we were last to get the 3DS XL. Nintendo owed us. Yes, I just equated the release of the XL to the Wii U. Sue me.

everything down to the Wire? No one in the Press gets Miiverse hands on before the 18th?

had to call my ISP to get a new package where up to 5 devices can plug into my building's paid wireless service

finally got my 3DS its own username so using it does not log me off my macbook.
I am guessing the Wii U browser won't be on that hardware so I'll have to call them sunday morning because I won't be able to get to the splash page to log in the account I got for the U

sheesh... at least they said no monthly caps :3

Raven77

Most stores won't have any on black friday so corporate is doing the stores a favor.

It just seems weird to me that they wouldn't want to capitalize on this. The Wii U launch just seems like such a non-event. I don't hear anyone talking about it anywhere which is so unlike the Wii launch.

I really hope it does well, I want an HD bad ass Metroid, 3D Mario, and Zelda (StarFox and F-Zero wouldn't be bad either!)

Effect

Wii Mode should act like a normal Wii other then the Wiiconnect service where you get messages when it's off/sleep. That is the only thing that isn't suppose to work. Online is suppose to function like it normally should. However if it's like the 3DS then you'll have to setup the wifi settings for the Wii mode. The 3DS when you play a DS game goes into a DS mode and doesn't pull over the 3DS wifi settings. There is a separate option for the DS settings.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is amazing.

Quality is relative, and though I don't think the launch line-up is dreadful, I wouldn't call it "very good" by any stretch of the imagination. But I say that as someone who has zero interest in ports. There's a lot of attractive titles there, it's just a shame (for me) that so many are games I won't be buying because I already own them elsewhere, or wouldn't get them for the Wii U.

Exclusives sell consoles to me, not ports, and in the realm of exclusives there's not a lot that blows me away. ZombiU, The Wonderful 101, and Rayman Legends are all that stand out for me, and only one of them is a launch/2012 game.

Agreed. I think they should have pushed harder to have had at least one more exclusive at launch.

That said, Sonic Racing's extra modes are making that a definite launch day title for my family.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Great OT, Rösti :)
But cut out the drop shadows from the basic/deluxe pack set images you lazy birdy

And wow at that Wario jab :/
I love you but that was just mean
The drop shadow looked much better with the other background colour. I'll fix it asap.

Earendil

Not true guys. SNES, AV Famicom, N64 and Gamecube all used the same analog port.... but Wii had a completely different one (now used again on Wii U).

I could have sworn I've tested this.

I should specify that this is in the US. I cannot speak for Europe.

Downhome

So I emailed Newegg about the Wii U games I have pre-ordered with them, since here we are Thursday, and my Paper Mario pre-order isn't scheduled to be delivered till Friday. Really disappointing response, basically that since they're releasing on a Sunday the games won't ship till Monday or Tuesday at the earliest, just like Paper Mario. With the Thursday after release being Thanksgiving here in the states, I'm not expecting the games to show up till Saturday or the Following Monday at the earliest. Time to stop pre-ordering games from Newegg.

That right there is why I canceled my ZombiU preorder. I switched my NSMBU preorder over to ZombiU and will instead purchase NSMBU as a digital download, hopefully as soon as I turn the system on without any problems.

I'm find with buying from newegg for most things, but I can't fool around on a system launch!

I have to keep an eye out on Wii Homebrew Channel transfer issues I may still transfer my stuff if we find the coast is clear to do so. Not easy to delete every trace of it as I hoped :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom