• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to debate whether or not to pick up a headset for the Wii U at launch. I know there's a turtle beach one but are there others available too?

luffeN

Talked to my Nintendo rep about eShop prices. For PAL/US price info will be available on launch day. Seems that they have some kind of agreement with retail to not tell the prices before launch or something like that.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
What all titles will be downloadable on day 1? Is that confirmed yet?

I've been keeping an eye out for any confirmation of 3rd party titles being available for download, but nothing so far. Honestly, I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be SOL on that front for a while.

I was really hoping this would be my first all-digital console too.

bumpkin

My buddy who manages a local GameStop is such a jerk... He sent me this picture from his phone yesterday with the message, "Taunt!"

attachment.php

Only a few more days...

Nibel

Can't believe that I'm thinking about getting BLOPS2 for Wii U just because I'll be able to play it in bed.

But the PC version is supposed to have some neat DirectX 11 features.. ugh..

What all titles will be downloadable on day 1? Is that confirmed yet?

All Nintendo games that don't require a peripheral like Sing Party will be up for download on day 1. It's up to 3rd party developers to decide if they want their games up there.

Can't believe that I'm thinking about getting BLOPS2 for Wii U just because I'll be able to play it in bed.

Don't feel bad about that I'm getting it for the same exact reason. :)

Hah I have the PC version and am thinking of doubling up on the Wii U version for this reason. Trust me though while the PC graphics are undoubtedly the best for the game they won't blow your mind or anything.

Effect

So I emailed Newegg about the Wii U games I have pre-ordered with them, since here we are Thursday, and my Paper Mario pre-order isn't scheduled to be delivered till Friday. Really disappointing response, basically that since they're releasing on a Sunday the games won't ship till Monday or Tuesday at the earliest, just like Paper Mario. With the Thursday after release being Thanksgiving here in the states, I'm not expecting the games to show up till Saturday or the Following Monday at the earliest. Time to stop pre-ordering games from Newegg.

That really sucks.

Would have canceled mine but the $15 off I'm getting on each of my two games is worth any extra wait I have to go through. I usually get items from them fairly quickly. Sometimes the day after they ship or by the second day. So I'm hoping that will be the case here. I like sticking with them because of the coupons they will send out and the free shipping. It's Nintendo that insist on using Sundays to launch their damn products that really screws things up. However NewEgg has really dropped the ball with shipping out games that clearly should be released already. They won't comment on that fully either but these are low level customer service reps. I can't really get to upset with them as they wouldn't know themselves.

Fox Mulder

All Nintendo games that don't require a peripheral like Sing Party will be up for download on day 1. It's up to 3rd party developers to decide if they want their games up there.

they'll probably cost the same as retail copies though, right?

The only way I'll download full games digitally is if I can get them cheaper than the physical copy.

I have to work Sunday but I'm thinking about biting the bullet to see if I can work Saturday instead, that way I would have Sunday and Monday off at least to spend with the Wii U before I am brutally murdered by cannibalistic rednecks during my Black Friday shift at Wal-Mart.

coughlanio

they'll probably cost the same as retail copies though, right?

The only way I'll download full games digitally is if I can get them cheaper than the physical copy.

If you get the Premium console, every time you buy a $60 game you'll get $6 off your next purchase...pretty nice IMO.

I still prefer having something with a resale value though. Even though I don't sell games, i'd rather have something that has monetary worth, which a digital release just doesn't have.

The only time I buy downloadable games are when they are heavily discounted and I don't need to think about it too much. The only time I've ever paid full price for a downloadable game was the AC3/Liberation bundle on PSN.

Kenka

I'm so so confused about this.

WHY are no retailers advertising the Wii U in their Black Friday ads??? The original Wii (which according to Nintendo had less supply than the Wii U will) was advertised in every single major retailers Black Friday ad to try and get shoppers into the store and fight Gladiator style for one.

Why are they not doing this now???
Nintendo most certainly loses money on each WiiU sold in the US. The exchange rate is tying their hands at this point. That's why also Reggie sucks. To spread the word further will only result in huge losses. They are probably waiting for some political decision in Japan to lower the yen before greenlighting more marketing overseas.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I've been keeping an eye out for any confirmation of 3rd party titles being available for download, but nothing so far. Honestly, I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll be SOL on that front for a while.

I was really hoping this would be my first all-digital console too.
Well, all but two of the Japanese launch titles have been confirmed for eShop on day one. As for North America and Europe, I don't know.

Downhome

I wouldn't ever download just any title. For the most part, I'll stick with only buying first party Nintendo titles, and only the big boys of that bunch. I bought NSMB2 on my 3DS, and I'll buy NSMBU on day one with the Wii U. I have never, EVER, resold a game like that during the life of a console. Once I buy a major first party title, it remains with me until at the very earliest the end of a console. I replay them all the time, especially Mario games, and it will be very handy to have those on my systems already.

C-Drive

Has there been any info on how large the Release Day system update is going to be? I'm on mobile broadband and want to see just how badly it's going to eat my bandwidth making sure I get the NNID i want.

Trying to debate whether or not to pick up a headset for the Wii U at launch. I know there's a turtle beach one but are there others available too?

If I'm playing a Wii U game on the TV, can I plug a headphone into the gamepad to hear the game's audio?

Mr. Fix

I've never bought anything on the Wii Shop channel, so as soon as I get my Wii-U I'll probably go hunting for old gems. I can use the pro controller to play any and all of the Wii VC games right? And can I use a credit card for purchases, or would I need to get a points card?

If you get the Premium console, every time you buy a $60 game you'll get $6 off your next purchase...pretty nice IMO.

I still prefer having something with a resale value though. Even though I don't sell games, i'd rather have something that has monetary worth, which a digital release just doesn't have.

The only time I buy downloadable games are when they are heavily discounted and I don't need to think about it too much. The only time I've ever paid full price for a downloadable game was the AC3/Liberation bundle on PSN.

Will you be able to transfer a game from disc to a HD?

RaidenZR

Has there been any info on how large the Release Day system update is going to be? I'm on mobile broadband and want to see just how badly it's going to eat my bandwidth making sure I get the NNID i want.

I think all that has been mentioned is that it will be significant.

I personally don't think that means it'll be gigs upon gigs, just larger than typical security updates to firmware.

That really sucks.

Would have canceled mine but the $15 off I'm getting on each of my two games is worth any extra wait I have to go through. I usually get items from them fairly quickly. Sometimes the day after they ship or by the second day. So I'm hoping that will be the case here. I like sticking with them because of the coupons they will send out and the free shipping. It's Nintendo that insist on using Sundays to launch their damn products that really screws things up. However NewEgg has really dropped the ball with shipping out games that clearly should be released already. They won't comment on that fully either but these are low level customer service reps. I can't really get to upset with them as they wouldn't know themselves.

What annoys me though is other online retailers, knowing it's a Sunday release will at least ship things Friday or Saturday, so you hopefully get it by Monday/Tuesday. Newegg not shipping Sunday releases till Monday, or even Tuesday is a joke. They're not even trying and don't care. I love ordering PC stuff from them, usually if I order in the morning it'll ship from their NJ warehouse (I'm in NJ) with in hours and I get it the next day. With their gaming stuff though it seems my games always take 2 days to ship, and usually come from California, or Tennessee and take for ever to get here.

I've got like 5 - 6 titles pre-ordered with Newegg for the coming months, time to move them to Amazon or some where else.

Effect

I've got like 5 - 6 titles pre-ordered with Newegg for the coming months, time to move them to Amazon or some where else.

Have been considering switching any future games from them as well since most of them are Nintendo published. Amazon is no better, at least not anymore since they removed release day delivery. Thinking it could be better to go to GameStop or Best Buy and get points to spend on future games. B

Same most of my stuff usually ships out of New Jersey as well and I get them pretty quickly in Pennsylvania. I haven't looked at where he last few games from them have come from though.

Buying the games digitally is looking very appealing as well because of these issues. On that front I usually have to wait a day or two to download something over 10gigs.

RaidenZR

Yeah, I figure it's going to be 1GB+, but maybe Nintendo has some crazy compression going on.

I might be downplaying it but I don't think it'll be that large- but nobody really knows or can know for sure unless they come right out and say.

Just for shits and giggles they should tell us how big it is in Wii blocks.

Hoodbury

What annoys me though is other online retailers, knowing it's a Sunday release will at least ship things Friday or Saturday, so you hopefully get it by Monday/Tuesday. Newegg not shipping Sunday releases till Monday, or even Tuesday is a joke. They're not even trying and don't care. I love ordering PC stuff from them, usually if I order in the morning it'll ship from their NJ warehouse (I'm in NJ) with in hours and I get it the next day. With their gaming stuff though it seems my games always take 2 days to ship, and usually come from California, or Tennessee and take for ever to get here.

Ya this is troubling. Does anyone know Best Buy's return policy? Could I buy the game I have preoordered from Newegg from Best Buy so I can play it on Sunday and when I finally get my mail from Newegg, return that sealed copy to Best Buy?

Or would Best Buy know it's not the copy I bought from them?

Nester

Really considering cancelling my 3 games from NewEgg and picking them up at Target Sunday instead during their Buy 2 get 1 half off deal. Would only be $6 more than the discount preorder on NewEgg.

My system preorder is through Walmart, but I could get an extra 5% off in addition if I stick them on my Target Red Card and then pay off the balance right away.

Fox Mulder

No, for copyright/piracy/game-sharing reasons obviously.

Games cannot be installed either as far as I know.

Piracy is understandable, but the 360 requires you to have disc in the drive if you have installed it on the hdd.

I really really wish every copy of wiiu games include a digital download code that perminantly ties to a Nintendo network ID...

but then you'd get the rock band situation where people would buy games for the codes then sell them.

I've never bought anything on the Wii Shop channel, so as soon as I get my Wii-U I'll probably go hunting for old gems. I can use the pro controller to play any and all of the Wii VC games right? And can I use a credit card for purchases, or would I need to get a points card?

The pro controller cannot be used in Wii mode which is were you'd play games from the Wii Shop (VC and WiiWare) so you'd need a classic controller if you wanted a traditional controller in Wii Mode. You can use a credit card in the Wii Shop.

Have been considering switching any future games from them as well since most of them are Nintendo published. Amazon is no better, at least not anymore since they removed release day delivery. Thinking it could be better to go to GameStop or Best Buy and get points to spend on future games. B

Same most of my stuff usually ships out of New Jersey as well and I get them pretty quickly in Pennsylvania. I haven't looked at where he last few games from them have come from though.

Buying the games digitally is looking very appealing as well because of these issues. On that front I usually have to wait a day or two to download something over 10gigs.

Yeah I don't get why I'm in NJ but all my game stuff ships from warehouses across the country. Amazon still comes through on release day delivery, they actually gave it to me for Zone of the Enders for free, then the storm hit and delayed delivery of it, but least they attempted.

Ya this is troubling. Does anyone know Best Buy's return policy? Could I buy the game I have preoordered from Newegg from Best Buy so I can play it on Sunday and when I finally get my mail from Newegg, return that sealed copy to Best Buy?

Or would Best Buy know it's not the copy I bought from them?

I don't think any of these games have gotten store specific releases. I may do that with Darksiders 2.

Reclaimer

HD Mario in a few days. :D

HD Nintendo console. :D

My hype is in check somehow. Good or bad sign?

I would have loved Rayman at launch as well, but Mario + ZombiU + general messing around with the console should last me until the next wave of big hitters releases.

Effect

Anyone recommend a good external hard drive to buy that has good ratings? 500GB to 1TB?

Target's deal sounds good but that would mean having to get three games instead of two.

Hoodbury

Well I sent Newegg an email, maybe if they start to get a bunch of requests/claims they will look into it and figure out they can send out our games.

I mentioned in my email to them that other retailers both online and stores are selling Wii U games now. So feel free to flood them with emails or calls. It can't hurt anything.

Thraktor

We all know the correct reason to get the Wii U version of Blops2 is for Wiimote aiming. Off-TV play is just a nice bonus.

coughlanio

I really really wish every copy of wiiu games include a digital download code that perminantly ties to a Nintendo network ID...

but then you'd get the rock band situation where people would buy games for the codes then sell them.

Unless the disk too was tied to an online ID (some unique identifier on the disk). I'd personally be okay with it. Retailers like GameStop would have a problem though.

Beckx

So I wonder what parts of the Wii U interface/OS are disabled when playing Wii games? Are you locked out of Miiverse/Nintendo Network (like you're locked out of Xbox Live when playing original Xbox games)? Can you use the screenshot feature?

MicH

If anyone were wondering if Europe would get a boxed Nintendo Land in the Premium boxes, NoE just uploaded this picture to their Twitter:

687736009.jpg

This will be the first time I attend a midnight launch for a console. Any suggestions on how soon I should get to Best Buy to get in line? I was thinking 10:30PM. I already preordered it though and have paid. Does it even make sense to wait in line?

Does anyone have updated impressions of Batman? I haven't heard much about it since it was thought to be crap port. I'd really like to pick it up, but I'll settle with the GotY edition if the port is low quality. (I know I'm LttP)

So I wonder what parts of the Wii U interface/OS are disabled when playing Wii games? Are you locked out of Miiverse/Nintendo Network (like you're locked out of Xbox Live when playing original Xbox games)? Can you use the screenshot feature?

You have to switch over to Wii Mode to play Wii games so all the Wii U features cannot be used.

Beckx

You have to switch over to Wii Mode to play Wii games so all the Wii U features cannot be used.

Ah well. There goes my scheme for easy TvC screenshots.

I wonder how it will play with an Elgato Game Capture HD? Would be great if it could be connected via HDMI like the Xbox.

TriGen

OK, seriously tempted to go to out Super Walmart at 10pm Saturday night and wait to get a system (I'll keep my GameStop preorder for backup). Unfortunately they stopped taking preorders on Nov. 1, but they insisted they will be selling systems that night starting at 12am and told me I should still come because I might be able to get one. Should I still try or should I call them again and ask if I can put on layaway just in case this is bad employee info?

I'm gonna do the same. I got my GS pre-order, but I'll go to Walmart to see if they got any at midnight. It works out well for me beause my brother wasn't able to get a pre-order, so one can go to him, or if he gets one first I could always return/sell the GS one.

Also, I should add that I don't think you can pre-order anymore. I went to Walmart last week to see if they were still putting any in layaway and they said that they (Walmart) weren't taking anymore, but that there should be other stock to sell. So, I would say if you want to try to get one at Walmart before GS opens, you should just go around midnight and see what they got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom