• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pre-order from Best Buy a lot. On Sunday morning they should send you an email saying your order is ready to pick up. Bring the order number, the card you paid with and your ID to the store and go to the In-Store Pickup area. What they do is take the item you purchased, attach the order slip to it and put it behind the counter so yeah it's yours.

And are you sure you haven't been charged yet? I checked my bank today and they charged me yesterday for my pre-order and Mario.

Hasn't been charged, and I just noticed that the lock that was put on those funds is now gone. The order still appears to be good on the website though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wish this were the case w/ mine. I was told they may not have enough for preorders, and even though I was the first to preorder it, it was insinuated that I may not receive it, unless I arrive early, which kind of defeats the point of a preorder, don't you think?

It does defeat the point of a pre-order.

That sucks because my store was like "you better come in during the first 48 hours because otherwise I have to waste all that time calling your house to harass you to pick it up" :p

NateDrake

I pre-order from Best Buy a lot. On Sunday morning they should send you an email saying your order is ready to pick up. Bring the order number, the card you paid with and your ID to the store and go to the In-Store Pickup area. What they do is take the item you purchased, attach the order slip to it and put it behind the counter so yeah it's yours.

And are you sure you haven't been charged yet? I checked my bank today and they charged me yesterday for my pre-order and Mario.

For the midnight launch will they have the system ready for that, though? I imagine they should. Just don't want to go there and it not be ready to pick-up for whatever reason.

tenchir

It's nice having a nephew who works at Toys R Us. I can have him hold a couple of games for me during thanksgiving day sale. Buy 1 Get 1 40% off + 10% TRU Employee discount.

That I am not sure about, I am probably going to call and ask for the manager. I preordered it on the 13th of September at like 12:38, so it was very shortly after the announcement, and the guy even told me I was the first preorder. I would hope their system could say who preordered it first, and they could go by that last in the event they were short preorders, because at that point, imo it should be based on who preordered first.

I am overly paranoid about this, probably and everything will work out fine, but I had the same issue with a Gamestop back in Savannah, when the Xbox 360 released, and got lucky at a Walmart after they ran out before fulfilling preorders.

I have the worst luck :mad:

I don't see how you could be the first preorder and not get one.

Unless they of course get 0 systems in.

It makes absolutely no sense if they don't go by some order.

I mean, what the fuck???

You get #1 and #20 has the same odds getting one???

I highly doubt it.

The whole point of the preorder is to grab one while you can, first come, first serve.

Not some lottery where you buy a ticket just to leave it all to chance or you have to then camp out or get there early.

You should be fine but don't take my word for it.

RkOwnage

I don't see how you could be the first preorder and not get one.

Unless they of course get 0 systems in.

It makes absolutely no sense if they don't go by some order.

I mean, what the fuck???

You get #1 and #20 has the same odds getting one???

I highly doubt it.

The whole point of the preorder is to grab one while you can, first come, first serve.

Not some lottery where you buy a tocket just to leave it all to chance or you have to then camp out or get there early.

You should be fine but don't take my word for it.

I wish I had your optimism, but like I said I am probably over paranoid about it, and will be fine, but the thing that bothers me was the guy at gamestop was so dodgy about the questions I was asking, I mean I laid my original receipt right there in front of him and explained my paranoia, and he was like "yeah, you should be fine, may want to get here really early just in case, but we'll see, I think we have enough for most of the preorders"

Like, what the hell, you know? I know he probably gets questions about this all the time, but be a little more specific for me.

hiryu64

So here's a question. I have a CRT TV but a spare DVI monitor lying around. This monitor is my only hope for HD viewing, otherwise I'll just rock the red, white, and yellow. I've looked around for something that I could use to rig up a solution, but kinda fallen short. Any advice here would be appreciated. Is there something out there that can perhaps split an HDMI or component signal to DVI (preferably preserving the 1080p image) and 2-channel stereo for headphones (got some nice headphones that I'd use)? Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out!

Medalion

Banned
So here's a question. I have a CRT TV but a spare DVI monitor lying around. This monitor is my only hope for HD viewing, otherwise I'll just rock the red, white, and yellow. I've looked around for something that I could use to rig up a solution, but kinda fallen short. Any advice here would be appreciated. Is there something out there that can perhaps split an HDMI or component signal to DVI (preferably preserving the 1080p image) and 2-channel stereo for headphones (got some nice headphones that I'd use)? Thanks in advance if anyone can help me out!
You'll probably need to get a HDMI to DVI converter

I wish I had your optimism, but like I said I am probably over paranoid about it, and will be fine, but the thing that bothers me was the guy at gamestop was so dodgy about the questions I was asking, I mean I laid my original receipt right there in front of him and explained my paranoia, and he was like "yeah, you should be fine, may want to get here really early just in case, but we'll see, I think we have enough for most of the preorders"

Like, what the hell, you know? I know he probably gets questions about this all the time, but be a little more specific for me.

It's just that guy's attitude, disregard it. It'll be there if you reserved. Their shipments were 100% based on reservations. Guaranteed.

The guy's an idiot.

I know people have had issues with Gamestop in the past and I have myself but there is one dude at my Gamestop that knows what the hell he is talking about and I asked him the same questions you asked and he matter of fact said that I am guaranteed one.

There should be one man or woman at each store that actually knows what they are talking about so try to find that person if you still have questions.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Depends, if you live in New York City, might be too late, considering that one strange fella was waiting there a month ago.

Portland, OR area. I'll try some slummy kmarts. I really don't want to put that much effort in though as I'm only really interested in NSMBU. I mean, I owned a Wii from launch and purchased maybe 10 games for it. Soooooo, still not totally sold on the WiiU I guess. BUT I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT 1ST PARTY NINTENDO GAMES!

Not true guys. SNES, AV Famicom, N64 and Gamecube all used the same analog port.... but Wii had a completely different one (now used again on Wii U).

Ah, now that you say that I vaguely remember noticing that my Gamecube and Wii cables were different. Sorry for the confusion.

Effect

I'm having the same dilemma with my Gamestop. If the employee wouldn't be so vague with me and just flat out tell me. If I need to get there early and wait, I'll do it, but he kept dodging the question and it was infuriating. Unless I hear something different in the next 2 days, I plan on getting there super early to wait, even though I paid it off the DAY it was announced.

/frustrated, but don't mean to sound b*tchy.

This is pretty much my plan. Plan on being there at least two hours early. Will eat something in my car while I wait and see if anyone is actually standing in line and when the workers arrive. Will be dropping by tomorrow just to be sure if they'll be opening up their regular time or earlier. Just better safe then sorry but I think things will be okay. Not doing anything Sunday morning anyway.

RkOwnage

The guy's an idiot.

I know people have had issues with Gamestop in the past and I have myself but there is one dude at my Gamestop that knows what the hell he is talking about and I asked him the same questions you asked and he matter of fact said that I am guaranteed one.

There should be one man or woman at each store that actually knows what they are talking about so try to find that person if you still have questions.

Will do, going back tomorrow with some trade ins, and debating on picking up Wii U Assassin's Creed III, since I missed it when it came out on Xbox 360, but I've heard mixed things, and it is on sale on BF, so I may just wait til then, dunno. But I'll ask again

Thanks for the encouraging words.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
you guys are freaking me out, I'm thinking about going to the channel islands on Sunday for some hiking and not picking up my Wii U until Sunday night... now ya'll have me reconsidering

you guys are freaking me out, I'm thinking about going to the channel islands on Sunday for some hiking and not picking up my Wii U until Sunday night... now ya'll have me reconsidering

From what I'm hearing, if your pre-order is at Gamestop you'll be fine. If it's from Best Buy Online, it's going to be a crapshoot.

boxter432

I was just able to preorder for in-store pickup at Kmart. order shows its there, though I haven't received the email yet. it wasn't available to order at the closest store to me, but another one pretty close I could order for pick up. we'll see how it goes!

Looks like Fred Meyer stores are going to do a midnight launch. Since no other stores in WA are doing it, I'll try my luck there. Just called and they seem to already have plenty for a midnight launch (no pre-order needed).

I'll also pick up my Best Buy order the following afternoon since that's already paid off.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
For the midnight launch will they have the system ready for that, though? I imagine they should. Just don't want to go there and it not be ready to pick-up for whatever reason.

I'm certainly no Best Buy expert but I imagine the protocol for midnight launches is the same. They are pretty good about saving and labeling your item as yours.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
iOyEAfQGi6ahF.png

72 hours remain.

ibotDlLAh6iA1m.gif

hiryu64

You'll probably need to get a HDMI to DVI converter

That only answers half my question, but I did a bit more digging and found this video. Basically the guy has the following setup:
  • VIDEO: HDMI from PS3 → HDMI (female) to DVI (female) adapter → monitor
  • AUDIO: RCA from PS3 → Dual RCA (female) to 3.5mm Stereo (male) adapter → speakers (RCA video left unplugged)
Since I want to use my headphones, though, I would have to modify this setup by finding a female to female RCA to 3.5mm adapter. Unfortunately, I'm having a tough time finding one. An alternate option is to use a female 3.5mm adapter on the end of the RCA/3.5mm adapter to make it work, but I'm getting very close to my solution.

AzaK

Anyone else quite looking forward to Nintendo land?
Very much. I'll be having a launch get together with some mates and I imagine that's the thing we'll play the most, if not just because it has so many games to play. Additionally I think it'll be a cool game for the family at home, and maybe at extended gatherings with the rellies.

Preble

Dang I was under the impression we would be able to use our SD cards to save game data. I got the basic set so guess I'm gonna need one of those usb hard drives. Anyone know how expensive they are?

hiryu64

Has it been confirmed if the HDMI out and audio from component output work simultaneously? I would be using my HP monitor with HDMI in but no audio so I'd need the audio from RCA to my amplifier.

Ah shit, I didn't even think of that. If the Wii U won't support audio out via RCA if an HDMI cable is plugged in that would completely wreck my plans. How likely is it that this wouldn't be the case?

Dang I was under the impression we would be able to use our SD cards to save game data. I got the basic set so guess I'm gonna need one of those usb hard drives. Anyone know how expensive they are?

I'm pretty sure you can use a USB to SD adapter. I have no clue if performance would be affected or not. They shouldn't cost you much more than $5.

NateDrake

500GB go for around $30-$50 -- if even that expensive. 2TB HDD are around $100 or so.

Roo

Ah shit, I didn't even think of that. If the Wii U won't support audio out via RCA if an HDMI cable is plugged in that would completely wreck my plans. How likely is it that this wouldn't be the case?

Do you really want to read that answer?

hiryu64

Do you really want to read that answer?

Do you really know the answer or are you just screwin' around? A few of us actually need to know this. The PS3 is capable of this as evidenced by the video I linked. Would be a shame if the Wii U isn't.

EDIT: Screw it, I went ahead and bought the parts required anyway. Worst case, I can use them with my PS3.
HDMI (female) to DVI (female)
Dual RCA Audio (female) to 3.5mm Stereo TRS (female)

Not bad for 8 bucks...way cheaper than shelling out for a new TV.

BocoDragon

Man I'm stoked for a new Nintendo console launch so soon :D Grin with me gentlemen :D

Has it been confirmed if the HDMI out and audio from component output work simultaneously? I would be using my HP monitor with HDMI in but no audio so I'd need the audio from RCA to my amplifier.

No one I've seen has mentioned it, but then again Nintendo isn't allowing previewers to talk about much of anything. Ideally for me HDMI and audio from composite out will work together. Otherwise I need to use component only.

BocoDragon

No one I've seen has mentioned it, but then again Nintendo isn't allowing previewers to talk about much of anything. Ideally for me HDMI and audio from composite out will work together. Otherwise I need to use component only.

Even without embargos, I can see that being something that most press will miss. They all have HDMI setups.

Dartastic

Portland, OR area. I'll try some slummy kmarts. I really don't want to put that much effort in though as I'm only really interested in NSMBU. I mean, I owned a Wii from launch and purchased maybe 10 games for it. Soooooo, still not totally sold on the WiiU I guess. BUT I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT 1ST PARTY NINTENDO GAMES!
I reserved mine at the Gamestop downtown near PSU. Unlucky. Try Wal-Mart on 82nd?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wow that is a lot of stuff why did you get the 2TB if you got all your games on disk?

I am hoping all games are DD on eShop at launch I want the points >_<

I also got 2TB but this one
Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0

I see a lot of people are saying why do we need a 2TB but but but screenshots of all my games?
who knows what else we can have as apps.

Dragon Quest X!

Don't worry, Nintendo will compress the images massively to help you save space. Aren't they kind?

I don't even have 2TB storage on my PC. I have a ton of steam games downloaded - probably more then I'd ever buy during the lifetime of a console - and that's less than 200GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom