• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question:

I'm going to be hooking my Wii U up to an SDTV. Can I play in widescreen with the black bars? When playing Blops 2, for instance, I don't want to give up my peripheral vision.

If so, is that a Wii U setting or a TV setting?

Thanks in advance.

Bii

Only a few days away and I'm pumped. I currently have a preorder for the Basic Wii U set but I'm hoping to head to my Target slightly early and see if I can get a Deluxe instead. If I don't get a Deluxe model, I'll have to buy Nintendo Land separately. In addition to that, I'll get New Super Mario Bros. U, CoD: Black Ops II and a Pro controller.

I'm going to limit myself from buying a lot of Wii U games so I can avoid a large backlog as months go by. Hopefully I'll be able to maintain a backlog of no more than 3 games at a time.

Downhome

I'm loving the reviews for Nintendo Land and NSMBU! We could get a number of 8/10+ games out of this launch lineup. Awesome!

So much for worst launch lineup ever like some insane people have been spouting.

Now come on ZombiU, don't let me down!

Hobby

Wii U pamphlet that's being distributed at shops in Japan.

j1SWt.jpg

YUJN3.jpg

oZLJk.jpg

Hwjfk.jpg

More pics of the pamphlet here:
http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/11/15/61418.html

Eusis

For those planning to use the Gamepad in bed, have you used tablets or portable gaming systems in bed? In particular I'm curious about the long term weight strain after playing for more than a few minutes.

Reference weights:

Wavebird: 210 grams / 0.46 pounds
PSP/Vita: 280 grams / 0.62 pounds
3DS XL: 336 grams / 0.74 pounds
Kindle Fire: 413 grams / 0.91 pounds
Wii U Gamepad: 500 grams / 1.1 pounds
Xbox Controller: 544 grams / 1.2 pounds
iPad 2: 601 grams / 1.3 pounds
3rd iPad: 650 grams / 1.4 pounds
iPad: 680 grams / 1.5 pounds
Is the Xbox controller there the Duke? It WOULD figure if only that damn thing were heavier than the Game Pad when it came to game controllers.

bonesquad

I'm loving the reviews for Nintendo Land and NSMBU! We could get a number of 8/10+ games out of this launch lineup. Awesome!

So much for worst launch lineup ever like some insane people have been spouting.

Now come on ZombiU, don't let me down!

When can we expect to see reviews of ZombiU? That's the only launch game I'm interested in, but I'm a bit leery and want to see a few reviews/impressions first.

Memles

I've been on the fence with Wii U, at least as a launch console: no time to dive into full launch lineup, and it still feels more like a curiosity than a commodity.

But now that we're closer to launch, I kind of wonder if curiosity doesn't have some value. Accordingly, and with apologies for the clarification question, I'm understanding that select Best Buy locations and 24-hour Wal-Marts are the two main options for midnight launches for those who haven't pre-ordered?

andthebeatgoeson

Doomed, Wii U is the first Nintendo system I won't buy at launch since Game Cube.

I'll be on a holiday trip. Will join the fun before March, just in time for Monsus Hungod 3 Ultimallah.

Rooting for Zombi U!

UR already dead. U won't find it before March. U so funny. Just wait in line for the April shipments like the rest of the cool kids who decided not to preorder.

andthebeatgoeson

Can we talk about what people are doing to keep their kids away from the Gamepad in particular? I was thinking about putting mine on the top shelf in the closet when I'm not directly supervising them.

Hiltz

When can we expect to see reviews of ZombiU? That's the only launch game I'm interested in, but I'm a bit leery and want to see a few reviews/impressions first.

It sounds like the embargo ends on launch day, Nov. 18th. We know IGN's will be up then.

Greektown

Neo Member
I have a quick question:

I'm going to be hooking my Wii U up to an SDTV. Can I play in widescreen with the black bars? When playing Blops 2, for instance, I don't want to give up my peripheral vision.

Thanks in advance.

I think you should buy an HDTV instead of a Wii U

bonesquad

18th for ZombiU? Hmm, not sure if that's a bad sign or just the date they wanted sites to wait for... NintendoLand should be able to entertain for now. Assuming Best Buy doesn't "lose" my pre-order. Or I change my mind again about whether I'm keeping it:)

I tried Wii U out at BB for the first time yesterday, and was surprised at how big the controller was. It's not a bad thing, just my impression:) (Though the triggers and bumpers, or whatever they are called, seemed spaced too far apart...)

guys in terms of accessories is there any point to buying the Wii u ninchuck instead of the Wii nunchuck?

I mean are they not the same thing?

I am just wondering how the the backwards compatibillity works between the accessories?

Wouldn't it be kinda nuts if Nintendo were keeping some day 1 eshop surprise, like everyone who creates a network ID and connects to the shop before the end of the calendar year gets $10 in credit or something?

Isn't there some precedent for them doing this sort of thing with the wii shop?

guys in terms of accessories is there any point to buying the Wii u ninchuck instead of the Wii nunchuck?

I mean are they not the same thing?

I am just wondering how the the backwards compatibillity works between the accessories?

Everything is backwards compatible on that front. For the most part it's a rebranding of the motion plus stuff

*also the sync button has moved on new wiimotes

Excko

Quick question about the e-shop. Will ALL games available at retail be available on the e-shop, like on the vita?

Also, will the Wii nunchunck and Wiimote be compatible with the Wii U?

NewFresh

Wouldn't it be kinda nuts if Nintendo were keeping some day 1 eshop surprise, like everyone who creates a network ID and connects to the shop before the end of the calendar year gets $10 in credit or something?

Isn't there some precedent for them doing this sort of thing with the wii shop?

I seriously doubt this would happen. The closest example I can think of was Excitebikes for the 3DS when the eShop was updated onto systems.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Frankly I'm too nervous to put the cash down on any other game besides Mario. Hopefully we get more reviews and impressions by Sunday to tell us what exactly we can expect out of stuff like Black Ops 2, Ninja Gaiden, AC3, etc.

Yeah, right now I'm sticking with Mario and honestly, I feel a little ridiculous getting a new console just to play stuff like AC3 and Black Ops.

I think you should buy an HDTV instead of a Wii U

Thanks for the advice! I actually enjoy content more than the means of displaying it.

Regardless, I'm saving up to redo my entertainment system, but it's going to require getting new furniture as well. So in the meanwhile, I'm still going to get a Wii U and enjoy it.

Bog

Junior Ace
Thanks for the advice! I actually enjoy content more than the means of displaying it.

Regardless, I'm saving up to redo my entertainment system, but it's going to require getting new furniture as well. So in the meanwhile, I'm still going to get a Wii U and enjoy it.

HDTVs are borderline free at this point. Look at the BF ads.

HDTVs are borderline free at this point. Look at the BF ads.

But then I have to wake up early and actually go when people are crowding the stores...

Anyway, my entertainment center right now is a cabinet piece that could only hold a 27" HDTV. I want to get a larger one, but then I need a new platform for it. And then I'll need a new cabinet or storage piece to hold the DVDs currently in the center. So it's just not easy for me, right now.

Malvingt2

it seems that there will be a uplay app for the wiiu...
20.jpg

Uplay app heading to Wii U

Each one of Ubisoft’s Wii U games will support the company’s Uplay service. This provides access to exclusive rewards and advice.

Ubisoft’s launch games offer the following items:

• Just Dance 4 – Call Me Maybe Alternate Version (40 Uplay units), Unlocks the Call Me Maybe Alternate version for play in Just Dance 4
• Assassin’s Creed III – 3000£ (10 units), in Single-Player
• Marvel Avengers Battle for Earth – Trials Pack (40 units), Unlocks 8 new trials
• ZombiU – The Last of Them (40 units), Unlocks new Survival Game mode in Multiplayer

You’ll be able to download a UPlay Wii U Application from the eShop. Ubisoft says users will be able to access the service “from the Home Menu, access the Uplay Wii U Application directly from the menu of the Home Menu, even if they do not own a Ubisoft game.”

By downloading the app, you’ll also be able to view Ubisoft’s latest trailers along with information and news about its games.

http://nintendoeverything.com/105481/uplay-app-heading-to-wii-u/

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Aww crap.. My store's midnight launch cancelled. Now I have to wait until Sunday morning... Like a rube!

Deefuzz

Secured a preorder when I just saw Sam's Club online briefly make preorders active.

Expedited delivery gets it to my house by the 20th it says. So I won't get to enjoy day 1 like many here, but I will be there a couple of days later!

GameStop already charged my card and according to customer support my Wii U is already packaged and ready to ship. My order status hasn't changed from "open" on my account page though.

I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference. When I talked to them the CSR said they wouldn't process the charge until it actually ships. I hope he's right.

JABEE

Call them and make sure your CC went through.

It says my Payment has been validated. From this morning it switched over to this. I'm using Silver shipping.

Order Status:: 1 item(s) - Status Not Available.

Has anyone else had this happen to their order?

Hiltz

I heard Ubisoft's offering a Wii U eShop demo of Rayman Legends on Nov. 18th, but it's likely the same demo as the one on Wii U demo stations.

bumpkin

Aww crap.. My store's midnight launch cancelled. Now I have to wait until Sunday morning... Like a rube!
I had a slight hope of having my Wii U at midnight 'til my buddy (the GameStop manager) burst my bubble and said they're opening a few hours early Sunday instead. Boooo! :(

I heard Ubisoft's offering a Wii U eShop demo of Rayman Legends on Nov. 18th, but it's likely the same demo as the one on Wii U demo stations.
I'd be okay with that. The demo is neat, I'd love to be able to take my time and savor it in the comfort my living room.

BlankaBR

Banned
I have a quick question:

Thanks in advance.
Kill yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom