• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installing to a had seems faster. FIFA demo took me three minutes to install to hdd. Nsmb u took 20 to install to internal, trine 2 took 30 mins to internal, and ac3 took just over two hours to install to internal. Granted the file sizes are all different, but still.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
AC3's first DLC just came out yesterday or the day before... They said the Wii U version was going to be out "later"... hadn't realized it was on the shop already.

None of those 3 have DLC up yet. The DLC button is there, but it brings up an error.

I guess they will announce it at the ND today?

Kacho

Gold Member
Woo baby! My Wii U just came in the mail. Guess I'll get this thing all set up while I work from home. What am I looking at, 5 hours of installing updates?

nickcv

after the console will be released in japan what's going to happen to this thread?

are mods going to move it in the community section?

PhantomR

Banned
So I bought the $300 model because I didnt care about color and I knew id be buying an external hard drive for the extra space anyway, but do all externals work with the Wii U?

For example would this one work? Id hate to pay the money and find out it isnt compatible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085JRRAY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks in advance guys.

Eh, that's bus powered, right? You should really consider getting a drive with its own dedicated power source if you can. Unless you get a Y-adapter, it seems that bus powered drives have been having some problems.

There's lots of negativity around but I think the general concensus seems to be that those who have bought it are thoroughly enjoying it, despite a few niggles and missing features.

I love it, personally. I have a small shopping list of features I want but I'm having a ton of fun with the system in its current state.

Ya, im in love with the Wii U. It's the most charming console I've ever owned. The best part is that it feels alive. I'm used to my PS2 and PS3 where the menus feel black and dead

Damn. I need to sell my PS3 to get one of these, but it does the media heavy lifting in the house. Dilemma.

Haha, same problem here.

Would love to sell my PS3, but dunno where to watch Blu Ray movies and DVDs in the future...

If only you could free up this feature for a fee on the Wii U, I'd instantly pay for that.

Vagabundo

Haha, same problem here.

Would love to sell my PS3, but dunno where to watch Blu Ray movies and DVDs in the future...

If only you could free up this feature for a fee on the Wii U, I'd instantly pay for that.

I hoping that this makes sense to someone and they'll be an app or system upgrade for purchase from Nintendo. I'd pay 20 quid plus for it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
yeah my U just arrived! I just unpacked aind connected, now it's downloading an update. I have to say i'm really impressed with the controller, screen looks smooth and it's quite ergonomic. It also looks gorgeous on the stand when put next to the console, it gives you a "new tech" vibe

can't wait to set up my account, update is sloww :p

I just read at an Spanish medium that PAL WiiU its not capable of upscalling Wii games.

The site, mentioned Digital Foundry as a source of this.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

http://www.3djuegos.com/noticia/130011/3/wii-u/escalado-hd/retrocompatibilidad-pal/

I tried out Skyward Sword a couple of days ago and I'm pretty sure I still got a 720p signal. I'll check it out later.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm still getting a 720p signal when playing Wii games. Super Mario Galaxy looks noticeable better on my TV, but that's probably because the Wii component cables I have kind of suck.

I tried out Skyward Sword a couple of days ago and I'm pretty sure I still got a 720p signal. I'll check it out later.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm still getting a 720p signal when playing Wii games. Super Mario Galaxy looks noticeable better on my TV, but that's probably because the Wii component cables I have kind of suck.

Thanks a lot :)

Lothars

Seems like everybody who has it loves it and everybody who doesn't hates it
I don't think that's the case at all, I have one and I don't regret buying it but it was a decent launch, I have no faith in Nintendo to deliver games in a timely matter or even care about third parties.

hopefully I will be wrong but nobody knows.

Metalmarc

my wii u is broke :(

only got it yesterday, finished work, got home set it up, couldn't get it to find my wifi
spent a half hour trying to connect to wifi without luck, powered it down as it was late and had to go to bed for early start to work. but read up a solution to get online by disabling y wep on here, so i had that in mind to do today

today , came home from work early, by using some leave allowance, got home 90 mins later (thats how long it took me to travel) anyway the excitement of getting to the wii u was squashed when i turn it on, the game pads frozen, the touch screen nor the sticks nor the buttons dont work, powered it off and on, unplugged, now it worked yesterday but it was broken by the time i got home today

not sure what happened, but have arranged a replacement/return to amazon

have to wait till friday for the replacement *sigh* , so much for finishing work early today to finally get a decent sesh on the wii lol

Hello,

Could anyone in the UK/Europe please do me a favour? :)

Go to the eshop and click on Nintendo Land and tell me if you get an error mesage.

EDIT

I think the eshop is just being a bit temperamental

Fifa demo is up on the US eshop.

already purchased it but this is my first Fifa so learning the controls to play even 1 match will take time.

I want demos of things I don't own which will be hard to find :3

I think I have everything downloaded except Tekken and the crappy stuff I don't want.

Waiting for the Deluxe Point program to open up so I can download Tekken with my earnings

Peagles

So this Wii U thing came out while I was gone... any good then?

Hey VOOK's back :)

I honestly think if I didn't own one, and just read about it on the internet, I'd be put off buying one. Meanwhile I'm actually playing it in the next room and loving it!

So this Wii U thing came out while I was gone... any good then?

I'm loving it. Of course it has it's flaws but so does every new console but it does everything I wanted it to do so I'm happy.

Can't wait to see what the next Zelda and Metroid are like on this thing.

FatCat

eShop seems to not load, or am i alone? gives me a "cant display page" error

have tried to access all evening, euro shop here

my digital wall of happiness :)

01menu.jpg

I really hope I don't run into the bad luck I've seen on GAF > theft, broken console, broken HDD
this is the most fun I have had during a launch

The eShop needs more demos.

this is true!

Do you have any hard copies, even of Nintendoland?
I have no hard copies of my Wii U games, and am hoping to never have any. I love not having to swap discs to run a game, and not having to go to the store to buy a game (I don't have Nintendoland because I bought the Basic set - didn't want Nintendoland).

nickcv

my digital wall of happiness :)

I really hope I don't run into the bad luck I've seen on GAF > thief, broken console, broken HDD
this is the most fun I have had during a launch

this is true!

sweet!
i wonder when you play those XD every time i look at my friend list you are browsing miiverse

anyhow today i bought my first DD game, Trine 2!
gonna try it friday with my bf and my cousin.

today i also bought tokyo jungle and donwloaded the ni no kuni demo from the PS Store, and i gotta say that after using the eShop i completely can't stand the new PS store... it's an interaction design nightmare, and it also took forever to perform any action: more then 30 seconds to add an item to the basket and once it even failed. it took me more then 5 minutes to buy and download the game and the demo, and fortunately i didn't have to add any money to my digital wallet.

anyhow, i know it's completely anecdotal but i started both downloads on the wii u and the ps3 at the same time (19:30).
it took about 1 hour for Trine to finish downloading, but at least i didn't have to perform any install.
i finishes downloading and installing the ps3 games at 23:00

wii u download speed is awful, but damn sony, try to sort it out.

I have no hard copies of my Wii U games, and am hoping to never have any. I love not having to swap discs to run a game, and not having to go to the store to buy a game (I don't have Nintendoland because I bought the Basic set - didn't want Nintendoland).

so far this does not seem possible, I am holding out for batman and hope to sell my other physical copies if they ever become available on eShop but seriously I am doubting 100% digital will be possible for me

Nice!

Having a blast with the system too. Loving my two launch titles: NSMBU & Zombie U

too true those two are awesome fun

sweet!
i wonder when you play those XD every time i look at my friend list you are browsing miiverse

anyhow today i bought my first DD game, Trine 2!
gonna try it friday with my bf and my cousin.

today i also bought tokyo jungle and donwloaded the ni no kuni demo from the PS Store, and i gotta say that after using the eShop i completely can't stand the new PS store... it's an interaction design nightmare, and it also took forever to perform any action: more then 30 seconds to add an item to the basket and once it even failed. it took me more then 5 minutes to buy and download the game and the demo, and fortunately i didn't have to add any money to my digital wallet.

anyhow, i know it's completely anecdotal but i started both downloads on the wii u and the ps3 at the same time (19:30).
it took about 1 hour for Trine to finish downloading, but at least i didn't have to perform any install.
i finishes downloading and installing the ps3 games at 23:00

wii u download speed is awful, but damn sony, try to sort it out.

Miiverse Addicts Anonymous (founder) 60 hours so far when I add Nov-Dec, I bet some of you have more time on Miiverse

To be honest I still have 3 to 14 hours on most of them and 18 on AC3 but I am jumping between them.

Download times be damned I manage my downloads before bed

Kacho

Gold Member
Is the eShop having problems? Everytime I try to view a game I get an error.

Console is great so far. I'm really impressed.

nickcv

Is the eShop having problems? Everytime I try to view a game I get an error.

Console is great so far. I'm really impressed.

when i tried it 40 minutes ago everything was fine (EU)
i don't dare turning it on again, otherwise i won't go to sleep for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom