• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosiahB

Does anyone else have an issue with Wii games not being full screen? There's a small black border around the whole screen, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
There's a demo of FIFA13 on the NA eShop. I think this is the first demo to hit the store.

zroid

Banned
Anecdote of the day:

I was in Costco, browsing the game section, and overheard a couple of moms talking about the Wii U. They actually seemed to know it was a new console type of thing (one said "there's a new Wii out now, it's the Wii U"), and were lamenting not having pre-ordered it because it's been hard to find.

So, since me and my brother will be using the Wii U, each on his own account, does the system create a save file for each game and app separately for every account?

Depends on the game. So far the 3rd party games have all been distinct save files per NNID user... but Nintendo games have been shared across all uses. (NSMBU has 3 save files shared for all users as an example).

I own NSMBU, ZombiU, NintendoLand, and COD.

netBuff

Does anyone else have an issue with Wii games not being full screen? There's a small black border around the whole screen, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Check your TV for overscan settings.

That's a known problem, the Wii U interface expects the TV to not cut off the sides of the image ("overscan"), while Wii mode displays everything with heavy black borders around the image.

This is normal, just live with it in Wii mode until Nintendo eventually does or doesn't fix it. Enabling overscan will not only greatly reduce image quality in Wii U games, but will also reduce visible area by quite a bit.

-PXG-

What do you mean? The Gamepad screen seems great to me. Maybe could use a higher resolution, but that's just me being greedy :)

Higher res, multi touch, haptic feedback, better battery and longer range would be nice. I'm convinced they're gonna release an updated pad at some point

Alex

The picture quality on the screen is pretty eh, it's a fair bit below anything else I use except... the DS/3DS line :lol But games are all fitting to it natively whereas you're getting iffy upscales on the tv with some of the lower res ones. Also, shrinking it down will hide some the aliasing and blemishes, especially on some of these over extended, end of cycle games.

It mostly makes me wish it was a function with the Wii somehow. Wii games looked HORRENDOUS on my television, if I could have had them on a nice native display, I would have played more, but there was no fuckin' way I was lugging a giant CRT into my house for it when I was so thrilled as we chucked the last one around the time it (the Wii ) came out. I actually don't think I would have played Xenoblade if I couldn't have run it on Dolphin. It was just a fucking sea of vague, aliased shit off the actual Wii. Game needs a 1080p Wii U port, would also give it a second chance at life after the horseshit it had to go through with localization.

Kacho

Gold Member
The touch screen is fine for stuff like tapping, but when you have to drag and drop things I find it very finicky.

gkryhewy

Is anyone else stuck with the shitty default wara wara plaza rather than the one populated with actual miiverse content? Very frustrating.

netBuff

I was quite surprised by how well this worked, actually. It barely works at all on the 3DS, but I find it works really well in ZombiU.

I feel like the 3DS XL is much better in this respect (finger input) than the regular 3DS as well.

In general, I think the GamePad screen is "good enough" for what Nintendo is trying to achieve with it. It's not Vita quality, but it's also not terrible.

Chopper

Is anyone else stuck with the shitty default wara wara plaza rather than the one populated with actual miiverse content? Very frustrating.
How long has it been like that? Mine didn't change for about 48 hours. I tried everything, and the change ended up being completely random.

I feel like the 3DS XL is much better in this respect (finger input) than the regular 3DS as well.

In general, I think the GamePad screen is "good enough" for what Nintendo is trying to achieve with it. It's not Vita quality, but it's also not terrible.
It is not even close to being terrible. Anyone who suggests otherwise is talking nonsense.

gkryhewy

How long has it been like that? Mine didn't change for about 48 hours. I tried everything, and the change ended up being completely random.

It was like this at launch (US), fine the next day and for the next few days, then I went away on vacation and it's been like this since I got back (even after updating)... For like 3 days.

Phazon

Anecdote of the day:

I was in Costco, browsing the game section, and overheard a couple of moms talking about the Wii U. They actually seemed to know it was a new console type of thing (one said "there's a new Wii out now, it's the Wii U"), and were lamenting not having pre-ordered it because it's been hard to find.

I guess it'll take some time. Nintendo is going after the casual after Wii Fit U and a couple of other casual titles have released.

Nintendo fans are going to drive the sales now, the casuals will continue to drive it in spring/summer 2013 and so on :)

I know a lot of people who will eventually get a Wii U if there's stuff like Smash Bros., 3D Mario, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby and Zelda.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm in the UK, so not sure if this changes the situation but I've not been asked to update.

Any ideas why or is this the initial update?
Initial update - picked up the game last night. Sorry should have clarified! Loving it, by the way. Playing on the GamePad is fantastic.

Also, I certainly wouldn't say the console is "shit" but it certainly needs work on the software side. Nintendo and online are really a frustrating combination. It's confusing to me that they've released a system which is obviously supposed to compete with tablets and current devices but haven't made any effort to make it speedy and responsive like you'd expect. It's like they designed it in a vacuum. Compared to say, the Vita and its snappy menus it's like night and day. The updates are unbelievably slow and huge, menus are sluggish, etc. Definitely needs a lot of work, and polish.

Chopper

It was like this at launch (US), fine the next day and for the next few days, then I went away on vacation and it's been like this since I got back (even after updating)... For like 3 days.
Oh. That's....weird. Was the Wii U unplugged whilst you were away?

BowieZ

Banned
OMG! When you click on a screenshot in a Miiverse post, press the x button! It cycles through different zooms of both screens from that moment.

sorry if a.p.

edit: even better, you can keep up the screenshot while browsing Miiverse etc till you press x again.

That's a known problem, the Wii U interface expects the TV to not cut off the sides of the image ("overscan"), while Wii mode displays everything with heavy black borders around the image.

This is normal, just live with it in Wii mode until Nintendo eventually does or doesn't fix it. Enabling overscan will not only greatly reduce image quality in Wii U games, but will also reduce visible area by quite a bit.

If your TV has a full pixel mode or similar, it certainly won't reduce visible area. It will correctly replicate the source and eliminate the overscan.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The TV I'm currently using (Sony Bravia kdl 20s3000) doesn't seem to have a full pixel mode. Good thing this is just a temporary solution until I buy a new television after Christmas. This one actually belongs in the kitchen but it was the only HD TV in the house.

netBuff

If your TV has a full pixel mode or similar, it certainly won't reduce visible area. It will correctly replicate the source and eliminate the overscan.

That's exactly what I wrote.

Overscan = Cutting of about 5% of the edges of the picture ("zooming in") = reducing visible area significantly as well as reducing image quality by additional interpolation.

Overscan is terrible and should have been eliminated (at least for digital inputs) by TV manufacturers years ago. The problem with the Wii U is that while the regular interface doesn't expect overscan to be present, the Wii mode only outputs an "overscan safe" image that can't be adjusted.

nickcv

OMG! When you click on a screenshot in a Miiverse post, press the x button! It cycles through different zooms of both screens from that moment.

sorry if a.p.

edit: even better, you can keep up the screenshot while browsing Miiverse etc till you press x again.

mindblown!
gonna try that tomorrow!

anyhow i just finished NSMBU
bowser final battle was good, but 3D land is still the best one among the recent 2D-ish games

3DL >>>>>>> NSMBW > NSMBU >>>>>>> NSMB2

taking into account both galaxy games it would be

3DL >>>> SMG2 >>> SMG >> NSMBW > NSMBU >>>>>>>>>> NSMB2

Anecdote of the day:

Where are you from?

Fox Mulder

What do you mean? The Gamepad screen seems great to me. Maybe could use a higher resolution, but that's just me being greedy :)

Calling it shitty was probably much, but it's poorly compared to pretty much anything with a touch screen in 2012. No multitouch, and smartphones are at a point where screens are scrutinized for resolution or if you can see individual pixels.

It does what Nintendo wants it to do, and the gamepad's battery life is already pretty short to have a great screen.

Fusebox

Banned
412312312312312312313.jpg

What game is this? Blops II?

Yes Boss!

Lol,

I've yet to even play my Wii U on the big screen other than setting it up initially. Gamepad sits by my bed and I just turn it on for a few hours and play.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Lol,

I've yet to even play my Wii U on the big screen other than setting it up initially. Gamepad sits by my bed and I just turn it on for a few hours and play.
That's me, pretty much. Played a bit of BLOPS2 on it last night and ended up switching to the Gamepad - guess I just prefer portables :p It allows me to pretend I'm playing a non-shit portable CoD.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Calling it shitty was probably much, but it's poorly compared to pretty much anything with a touch screen in 2012. No multitouch, and smartphones are at a point where screens are scrutinized for resolution or if you can see individual pixels.

It does what Nintendo wants it to do, and the gamepad's battery life is already pretty short to have a great screen.

Sacrificing multitouch for stylus control is worth it to me. Miiverse wouldn't be as good without the doodles. Then again I hardly use gestures on my phone (I use them a lot on my laptop's trackpad however).

Mistle

sorry if a.p.

awesome! Now is there a way to view drawings at original res? D:

Is Bic Camera (Tokyo) still taking preorders? My Amazon preorder was cancelled and I successfully preordered a unit at Shibuya Tsutaya but would prefer Bic or Yodobashi because of the points and earlier collection time.

Anecdotally, Tsutaya is still guaranteeing launch units for both the basic and premium sets.

No idea, as I'm in Kyoto. I'll have to check the local Tsutaya and Don Quixote to see if they're selling at midnight.

Desiato

No idea, as I'm in Kyoto. I'll have to check the local Tsutaya and Don Quixote to see if they're selling at midnight.

Don Quixote doesn't sell at midnight. Had an errand last night there, so while I was there I asked them. Have to wait until morning "around 7", they said.

Zomba13

FUCK the 'close software' button being the biggest ass button RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE HOME MENU.
So many times I've tapped that when I just wanted to close the home. Should swap 'Close home menu' and 'Close software'...

zroid

Banned
I only change the TV input for those Nintendo Land games that require it. :p

Anytime I can do something on the GamePad alone, like NSMBU, Miiverse, or DK's Crash Course, I do! ^_^

nickcv

Just to give people an idea of possible sales or at the very least hype/activity, here are the 10 top Miiverse communities as of this morning:

1. Nintendoland- 28,509
2. NSMB U- 24,970
3. ZombiU- 11,511
4. CoD: BO2- 6,066
5. AC3- 3,282
6. Scribblenauts- 3,049
7. Sonic Racing- 2,812
8. Batman: AC- 2,437
9. Ninja Gaiden 3- 1,931
10. Epic Mickey 2- 1,044

I don't this is worth its own thread or anything, but I find it interesting so I'll probably post numbers in this thread regularly.

EDIT- I do not believe the raw numbers (which I believe are total community messages) has any value in terms of predicting raw sales numbers. I do think the general order might be useful in determining the Wii software sales chart for November.

i'm going to bump this from the graveyard for a reason.

we know that in 7 days (starting the 18th) 243,000 copies of NSMBU were sold
the data collected by schuelma is from the 21st November, therefore we have data for 4 days

we can then say that about 1 person out 9 who purchased NSMBU connected its Wii U to the internet in the first 4 days*
that's about 10,27%

* not taking in consideration multiple users for the same copy

Mistle

Are there any games that currently have gamepad screen controls, but also allow you to play without a TV? (thus making everything button controlled)

i hope that makes sense, lol

i'm going to bump this from the graveyard for a reason.

we know that in 7 days (starting the 18th) 243,000 copies of NSMBU were sold
the data collected by schuelma is from the 21st November, therefore we have data for 4 days

we can then say that about 1 person out 9 who purchased NSMBU connected its Wii U to the internet in the first 4 days*
that's about 10,27%

* not taking in consideration multiple users for the same copy

You are also not taking into consideration the fact that you don't have to own the game to post in a community.

hongcha

Sounds like many of those copies of NSMBU have not been opened yet (i.e., parents have wrapped them up for Christmas presents). Perhaps you'll see a big explosion of Miiverse activity on Christmas day.

nickcv

Sounds like many of those copies of NSMBU have not been opened yet (i.e., parents have wrapped them up for Christmas presents). Perhaps you'll see a big explosion of Miiverse activity on Christmas day.

or that not enough people cared to connect the console to the internet or actually managed to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom