• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggler

What's the word on the overscan issue. Any official comments, plans, rumours, or guesses? So insanely weird that this isn't being shouted about by all the sites and journos. Should be top of the agenda for the next firmware update.

Sounds like many of those copies of NSMBU have not been opened yet (i.e., parents have wrapped them up for Christmas presents). Perhaps you'll see a big explosion of Miiverse activity on Christmas day.

We've already seen a huge increase the last two weeks. Nintendoland has over 100k users for example.

What's the word on the overscan issue. Any official comments, plans, rumours, or guesses? So insanely weird that this isn't being shouted about by all the sites and journos. Should be top of the agenda for the next firmware update.

I'm pretty sure that most new TVs nowadays have a 1:1 pixel mapping option, so it shouldn't be a problem for a majority of people. Well, other than the fact that most people probably don't even know about it...

Fox Mulder

or that not enough people cared to connect the console to the internet or actually managed to do it.

I had problems connecting the WiiU to my wifi, and it's the only product in my house that has required more than a password to work in years. I had to mess with network settings for it to work, and had to do more to access the wii shop in wii mode.

Doesn't seem like my experience is widespread, so maybe people still have a bunch stuffed in closets for their kids.

CLEEK

oh, you are right, i didn't take that into account!

Nor are you taking into account that the numbers of unique posts in Miiverses (which is what the count is showing) does not directly correlate to the % of Wii U that are online.

You can have your Wii U online, set up a NNID and all that business, but never post anything in Miiverse.

nickcv

Nor are you taking into account that the numbers of unique posts in Miiverses (which is what the count is showing) does not directly correlate to the % of Wii U that are online.

You can have your Wii U online, set up a NNID and all that business, but never post anything in Miiverse.

nope, the number shows the unique number of users who posted into a community.
we know that for a fact.

smiles and cries found it in the manual

nickcv

i'm baffled:

bowser final battle was good, but 3D land is still the best one among the recent 2D-ish games

3DL >>>>>>> NSMBW > NSMBU >>>>>>> NSMB2

this was my last miiverse message.
the mods flagged it as spoiler o_O

OMG! When you click on a screenshot in a Miiverse post, press the x button! It cycles through different zooms of both screens from that moment.

sorry if a.p.

edit: even better, you can keep up the screenshot while browsing Miiverse etc till you press x again.

learned something new again o_O

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Maybe he was looking at his own post?

i just tried it out, and something is wrong (or i do not understand how this one works)

when i press X it shows the currently saved screens of my system, which in my case where the OS menu and wara wara plaza

go into a game to play, during the action press home then press miiverse, then try to post a screen from there and see if your results differ

I just think its neat did not expect to see Wara Wara Plaza or my home menu

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I find myself bringing the Pad with me around the house, checking Miiverse on the loo, streaming Roxy Music from Youtube while taking a shower, surfing the web..

I just love this thing, damn!

Ninja Dom

Hi. I just got my Wii U. Here in London, UK. I only got one game, New Super Mario Bros U.

It took me 2 hours almost to get to play the game. System Update followed by Game Update and then Nintendo Network ID creation.

All in all it seems good so far. But I've had one hard lock.

Nintendo Network ID is Ninjadom

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sonic racing is a mixed bag so far. Framerate is a little disappointing - 30fps with drops fairly regularly. And I'm still struggling to get to grips with the handling, but I'll persevere. It's a very abrupt start to the game - world tour, third race is a drift challenge and if you aren't used to it, it's like hitting a brick wall.

May I say it is quite nice to watch Nintendo Direct in HD on my Wii-U on my HDTV

Glad they uploaded that to the Wii-U eshop

Yes, that was really nice

VICI0US

FUCK the 'close software' button being the biggest ass button RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE HOME MENU.
So many times I've tapped that when I just wanted to close the home. Should swap 'Close home menu' and 'Close software'...

haha, I've done that twice while playing zombiu.

do yourself a favor and just quit interacting with the screen and press the actual home button to close the menu instead, has worked for me so far.

Sacrificing multitouch for stylus control is worth it to me. Miiverse wouldn't be as good without the doodles. Then again I hardly use gestures on my phone (I use them a lot on my laptop's trackpad however).

You know, if Nintendo really wanted to trailblaze a little, they could have tried to find a way to make multitouch on resistive affordable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMxfqr0Dnz8

The technology exists. The above video, now a year and a half old, gives me the impression that it's already not prohibitively expensive. Bam, you get most of the benefits of both types of touchscreen.

Thanks for the support! I'm taking a Miku cut out as a distraction.

Also:
3 Wii U.
Nintendo, $349.95-$429.95,
nintendo.com.au
NINTENDO'S thoroughly redesigned console now comes with an extra controller - the Wii U GamePad - that hosts motion controls, a camera, microphone and a 6.2-inch touchscreen that changes the way games are played. The extra screen can be used to see more of the game, beyond the TV screen, or to take gameplay into another room when the TV is in use. Wi-fi is also built-in to the new console.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/techknow/gallery-fnda1lbo-1226530488142?page=13#ixzz2EKbprGJa

At first sounds like a add-on/redesign, but that mention new console at the end.

Yay for Australian media.

Blasty

You know, if Nintendo really wanted to trailblaze a little, they could have tried to find a way to make multitouch on resistive affordable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMxfqr0Dnz8

The technology exists. The above video, now a year and a half old, gives me the impression that it's already not prohibitively expensive. Bam, you get most of the benefits of both types of touchscreen.

It isn't worth the increased price, in my opinion.

MrBS

I got a pair of pro controllers in the mail today. Oh ninty. I must have put it out of my mind how crazy glossy these things were going to be. Already covered in fingerprints the moment I took them out of the box and on the reverse is that glorious matte, what a tease.

So I just tried to play Boom Street (PAL Wii game) on my Wii U and it wouldn't work because the game is PAL60/480p only and for some moronic reason the PAL Wii U displays Wii stuff not in progressive even though I'm running things through component cables and my Wii U runs in 720p.

:|

It just gives me a message saying nope 480p only bro and boots me back to the menu.

Anyone have nba 2k13? Was wondering how this version is compared to the other consoles.

I was thinking about it but then just gave up since I have not played an NBA game for decades don't see the need. I don't really have a buddy to play Vs. with.,

I read on Miiverse it is missing Jersey cloth animation or something, but seems to have a following

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There is no use for multi-touch at all on Wii U. I can't think of any game or app that would benefit from it.

So far there's only been a handful of very desirable game designs that absolutely require multitouch on any platform. DJ Max Technika Tune on Vita, for instance - super hot game, wouldn't work nearly as well without multitouch. So Wii U isn't getting a port of that, that's for sure.

But otherwise now that the system is out in the wild and being used, I am forced to conclude: all the complaints about backwards, old fashioned single point touch interface were purely abstract, based on the perception that it didn't have the newest shiny.

In practice it makes little difference. Except perhaps that drawing/sketching on the console is a kind of big deal, starting with Miiverse. So resistive with a precise stylus is a feature, not a bug.

So I just tried to play Boom Street (PAL Wii game) on my Wii U and it wouldn't work because the game is PAL60/480p only and for some moronic reason the PAL Wii U displays Wii stuff not in progressive even though I'm running things through component cables and my Wii U runs in 720p.

It just gives me a message saying nope 480p only bro and boots me back to the menu.

That must be a glitch with that particular game. Last Story works fine and that game is 60Hz only too.

Fusebox

Banned
Hi. I just got my Wii U. Here in London, UK. I only got one game, New Super Mario Bros U.

It took me 2 hours almost to get to play the game. System Update followed by Game Update and then Nintendo Network ID creation.

All in all it seems good so far. But I've had one hard lock.

Nintendo Network ID is Ninjadom

I can only imagine the shitstorm as kids unwrap their Wii U's this christmas and want to play them, only to have to sit through a few hours of patching followed by 5 minutes of gaming until their uncharged gamepad goes flat.

I can only imagine the shitstorm as kids unwrap their Wii U's this christmas and want to play them, only to have to sit through a few hours of patching followed by 5 minutes of gaming until their uncharged gamepad goes flat.
Child abuse.

What parent wouldn't charge it first? smh.

i'm baffled:

this was my last miiverse message.
the mods flagged it as spoiler o_O

Thanks for spoiling Bowser being the boss asshole! Surprise ruined :^(

I think they will tag almost anything that gives a hint to the future. Eatchildren got his post flagged in Zombi when it was just a pic of his inventory screen being full of stuff, but I guess it shows you future weapons you get along the way. I'm assuming a post about hidden characters in Smash Bros U might get flagged for a while as well. Or maybe an item you get in Zelda.

That said...spoiler tagging your post in particular amounts to spoiling that a 2D mario will have mushrooms in it.

Hawk269

Just a heads up that Toys R Us Stores have started to receive the Hori Brand Screen Protectors and they are selling for $7.99. For some reason, Amazon is now charging $12.99 for them, when originally they were cheaper.

it's really appalling how much some reviewers did not like ZombiU. I'm 2 hours in and this game is one of the best survival horror games in years.

TheChits

it's really appalling how much some reviewers did not like ZombiU. I'm 2 hours in and this game is one of the best survival horror games in years.

I can understand people not liking it, but the 4 and 5s out of ten really boggle the mind. I feel like they must have played a completely different game

I don't really see how you could rate that game poorly. A lot of it is done really well, and although some of it needs work, nothing is really just "bad". Even the voice acting and dialog from the prepper is decent. A few moments will make you scratch your head, but most it is damn good. Such an atmospheric game. One of the best things about it for me is that the game is really fair. Almost every time I die, I see what I could have done to prevent it. Most of the time it's me just saying "fuck it" when I know better than doing what I did.

SmokeMaxX

If I want a couple of motion plus dongles, what's the cheapest way to get them? Are there third party motion plus add ons?

If I were you, I'd go to Toys R Us tomorrow and buy two (or four) flingsmashes. It'd come out to be like 66 bucks or so pre-tax for four flingsmashes. You can sell the games or whatever and just keep the Wii Remotes with built in motion pluses. Then sell your old wii remotes without the motion plus.

Michan

Could some very kind and generous person please help me complete this list of JP stores that will be selling Wii U tomorrow, from when, and what the point bonuses are?

• Tsutaya: 10AM / ?%
• Don Quijote: ~7AM? / ?%
• Bic Camera: 8AM / 0%
• Yodobashi Camera: 8AM / 1%

Also, does anybody know the availability of the premium MonHun bundle for each store? And is it just first come, first served (could be dangerous)?

Thanks!

zroid

Banned
Speaking of points, bit of a random question, do you earn them on game download cards bought at retail?

On Wii U games, that'd be like earning twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom