• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When was the December DLC update supposed to roll out?

Could some very kind and generous person please help me complete this list of JP stores that will be selling Wii U tomorrow, from when, and what the point bonuses are?

• Tsutaya: 10AM / ?%
• Don Quijote: ~7AM? / ?%
• Bic Camera: ? / ?%
• Yodobashi Camera: ? / ?%

Also, does anybody know the availability of the premium MonHun bundle for each store? And is it just first come, first served (could be dangerous)?

Thanks!

Yodobashi and Bic Camera are starting at 8 am. 0% at Yodobashi, 1% at Bic Camera.

I cant figure out what's up. So, I have the HDMI in to my tv and the optical out from my TV to my receiver (5.1). But, setting the Wii-U to surround does not display any sound out of the channels.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Forgive me for a very stupid question, but how do I play games on the gamepad? I can't seem to find this information and it isn't obvious to me.

Every game is different. AC3 and Scribblenauts have it in the options menu, you swipe your finger down on the touchpad for sonic racing, Black Ops 2 has a display button located on the Gamerpad while at the menu, and I believe NSMBU already has the game playing on the Gamerpad so you can play it on the Gamerpad without needing to do anything.

Every game is different. AC3 and Scribblenauts have it in the options menu, you swipe your finger down on the touchpad for sonic racing, Black Ops 2 has a display button located on the Gamerpad while at the menu, and I believe NSMBU already has the game playing on the Gamerpad so you can play it on the Gamerpad without needing to do anything.

That makes sense. Thank you!

Oh, and i'm loving BLOPS2! Plays very well.

that.....is a bummer

Wii U is going to be more expensive to me than I originally thought. New surround amp with HDMI inputs is going to cost almost as much as the system itself :)

edit: my Bluray player is also pretty limited when it comes to audio output options, so I also need new amp for that. I can't blame my Wii U and shitty Samsung tv for everyting.

zroid

Banned
It's funny how Nintendo uses HDTV adoption as an excuse for waiting till now to enter the HD era with Wii U, but disregards the still modest penetration of HDMI receivers in forcing PCM down our gullets.

Wii U is going to be more expensive to me than I originally thought. New surround amp with HDMI inputs is going to cost almost as much as the system itself :)

edit: my Bluray player is also pretty limited when it comes to audio output options, so I also need new amp for that. I can't blame my Wii U and shitty Samsung tv for everyting.

Ya, honestly, my receiver is about 4 years old and I got it before HDMI become the norm. I'll upgrade in the future.

Also, what settings do you guys use for the Pad? I currently use 4 brightness, No powersave.

But a serious question to people who route their HDMI signals through a surround sound system. How do you deal with TV's image processing delays? Setting the tv to game mode is ok for gaming, but if my BluRay signal comes from the same HDMI input, using game mode would result in worse image quality. And switching between game mode and "normal" mode when watching BluRays is not a good option, as it requires also some brightness/contrast adjustments with my telly...

With my TV using the normal image processing mode is not good for gaming, the image processing delay is huge...

But a serious question to people who route their HDMI signals through a surround sound system. How do you deal with TV's image processing delays? Setting the tv to game mode is ok for gaming, but if my BluRay signal comes from the same HDMI input, using game mode would result in worse image quality. And switching between game mode and "normal" mode when watching BluRays is not a good option, as it requires also some brightness/contrast adjustments with my telly...

With my TV using the normal image processing mode is not good for gaming, the image processing delay is huge...
Don't have any problems at all. Then again I have a plasma and disabled all the post processing on it anyway. Maybe that's the difference?

The delay isn't long enough to be noticable when watching movies. Heck, when playing games it's generally not noticable unless you are playing a rhythm game or a tournament-level FPS. Unless of course you turn on crazy modes like frame smoothing. Oh, and brightness/contrast settings don't affect latency, unless you're using a mode which looks at the frame being displayed and artificially affects the brightness or contrast to fake a better looking picture.

Don't have any problems at all. Then again I have a plasma and disabled all the post processing on it anyway. Maybe that's the difference?

Yep, I have an edge LED system, and these seems to be generally pretty slow. There's slight echo effect even in game mode with tv audio and Wii U controller audio.

The delay isn't long enough to be noticable when watching movies. Heck, when playing games it's generally not noticable unless you are playing a rhythm game or a tournament-level FPS. Unless of course you turn on crazy modes like frame smoothing. Oh, and brightness/contrast settings don't affect latency, unless you're using a mode which looks at the frame being displayed and artificially affects the brightness or contrast to fake a better looking picture.

Ok, I was a bit unclear there... I'd like to keep some post processing going when watching movies (not dynamic contrast or brightness, I hate the pumping effect they create), and switching between that and gaming mode also effects brightness and contrast levels. Not sure why.

+Aliken+

i'm baffled:

this was my last miiverse message.
the mods flagged it as spoiler o_O

Even though we all know that the final boss is Bowser it is still a spoiler.
You never know until the end of the game if Nintendo has decided to surprise everyone and replace Bowser with someone else.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

A few options, depending on your set.

- just leave it in game mode. A lot of processing is detrimental to the picture quality anyway (black enhancing, contrast boost blah blah). Leave it in game mode and then calibrate your picture in that mode.

- just leave it in normal mode. If your TV doesn't add that much lag, or you aren't sensitive to it, this might be ok for you.

- adjust the audio delay on your receiver. A decent receiver should allow you to delay the audio so it matches the video. If your TV is bad with lag and you haven't yet bought your receiver, make sure to check it can do this.

- use the scene modes on your TV if available. Eg on my Bravia I can have a few different scene presets which change the picture settings. Or I have a 'theatre' button on the remote which goes straight to my calibrated for bluray settings. It can be a pain to remember to switch back and forth though, and you probably don't want to buy a new TV just yet. But if you are in the market for one, check it can support multiple picture settings per HDMI input - especially important if you're using your receiver to switch inputs, as you'll have different devices with different needs coming in on one TV input

jonno394

Damn it, I know i'm probably missing out on glorious HD graphics, but I really can't stop playing entirely through the gamepad, damn you Nintendo for creating something that allows me to game and watch TV at the same time!

Mighty Switch Force HD still looks brilliant just on the gampad, will try it on the TV later.....maybe

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'd like it to be more standardised. I don't want to need to learn the different settings, and plenty of people didn't even know about sonic until they were told. Didn't Nintendo show on a preview ages ago that you could just press the home button to bring a game down to the gamepad? That'd be nice.

I'd also like for any games that can be played entirely on the TV, to give us an option to turn off the gamepad, it's really distracting. Press the home button to wake it up again. It'd also save the battery a lot.

I'd like it to be more standardised. I don't want to need to learn the different settings, and plenty of people didn't even know about sonic until they were told. Didn't Nintendo show on a preview ages ago that you could just press the home button to bring a game down to the gamepad? That'd be nice.

I'd also like for any games that can be played entirely on the TV, to give us an option to turn off the gamepad, it's really distracting. Press the home button to wake it up again. It'd also save the battery a lot.

Don't forget the other way around - playing on the gamepad and having the game display the same image on the TV. What a waste if resources.

A few options, depending on your set.

- just leave it in game mode. A lot of processing is detrimental to the picture quality anyway (black enhancing, contrast boost blah blah). Leave it in game mode and then calibrate your picture in that mode.

- just leave it in normal mode. If your TV doesn't add that much lag, or you aren't sensitive to it, this might be ok for you.

- adjust the audio delay on your receiver. A decent receiver should allow you to delay the audio so it matches the video. If your TV is bad with lag and you haven't yet bought your receiver, make sure to check it can do this.

- use the scene modes on your TV if available. Eg on my Bravia I can have a few different scene presets which change the picture settings. Or I have a 'theatre' button on the remote which goes straight to my calibrated for bluray settings. It can be a pain to remember to switch back and forth though, and you probably don't want to buy a new TV just yet. But if you are in the market for one, check it can support multiple picture settings per HDMI input - especially important if you're using your receiver to switch inputs, as you'll have different devices with different needs coming in on one TV input

Thanks for the answer. Looks like I may have to compromise and settle for using the game mode for everything. My TV is just two years old, I don't want to get a new one just yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't forget the other way around - playing on the gamepad and having the game display the same image on the TV. What a waste if resources.

Was going to put that, but then realised I can just turn off the TV.

Doesn't really use any more power to output two images that are the same.

Ninja Dom

What's everybody's experience of using USB Flash sticks as external storage?

Can you run downloaded games off it fine?

I got a nice 64GB flash stick that I wanna use with the Wii U.

Mistle

The browser, and more importantly, watching YouTube videos on the TV is just spectacular. Been watching Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight doco videos and it's just awesome being in the living room with the big screen.

(Apart from the slow streaming speed, except I don't know if to attribute that problem to my wifi (usually its fine), the video's server I'm loading from, or the Wii U :p)

deleted

I just now wanted to bring some Miis over from my Wii to my Wii U. I don't have the Wii prepared to transfer all my channels, so I thought I'd do it oldschool. Loaded some Miis onto my Wiimote and booted the Wii mode up on the Wii U - am I missing something? The buttons to import from the Wiimote are gone, is there any way to make it work? I don't have a 3DS btw.

I just now wanted to bring some Miis over from my Wii to my Wii U. I don't have the Wii prepared to transfer all my channels, so I thought I'd do it oldschool. Loaded some Miis onto my Wiimote and booted the Wii mode up on the Wii U - am I missing something? The buttons to import from the Wiimote are gone, is there any way to make it work? I don't have a 3DS btw.

Nope. Those miis aren't making the jump. Time to upgrade, the Wii U mii creator has quite a few more options.

NeoRausch

heads up:

in europe the lovefilm app got an update and is now up and running.

...more or less...i'm stuck on a gray loading screen.

update is 59 MB.

Tokieda

If you make the system transfer, the WiiU Mii Maker can import your old Miis. I tried it myself yesterday.

krumble

What's everybody's experience of using USB Flash sticks as external storage?

Can you run downloaded games off it fine?

I got a nice 64GB flash stick that I wanna use with the Wii U.

Tried a 16GB flash stick yesterday and moved Sonic Transformed off my WiiU onto it and it played fine from in - just a temporary solution until the y usb cable I ordered turns up - but it works well

gkryhewy

You can do this. Hit the home button, and you can turn the gamepad screen off under gamepad options.

and it wakes up with the press of a button. doesn't really work well for games.

This... was really disappointed when I found this option only to find out it turns back on in a button press. It more or less necessitates getting a pro controller at some point.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Hori have got you covered:

61bFm6csfXL._AA1500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom