• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhantomR

Banned
I don't want to return it. I'm glad I bought it - the games are very fun. I look forward to years of great Nintendo games on the system.

Doesn't change my view of the hardware, though.

Understood.

I don't think the Wii U hardware has come even close to being tapped out yet...especially when looking at footage of games like Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I haven't had the same loading issues you've had, but it doesn't discount the fact that you've had them.

bryehn

I don't want to return it. I'm glad I bought it - the games are very fun. I look forward to years of great Nintendo games on the system.

Doesn't change my view of the hardware, though.

For what it's worth I'm with you. The hardware build is mediocre, looking at a retina display or a Vita before using the Wii U can be grating and the OS is complete poop. Love Scribblenauts and Little Inferno though, Mario is decent too I guess.

nickcv

That's a five/six year old piece of tech, though.

This is a new console released in 2012.

Honestly, the console is shit. There's nothing about it I like. The games are great, which is the important part, but yeah, Nintendo did rubbish with this hardware.

you can try my method Viridum:
buy something on the PS Store

after that you'll find the loading times of the Wii U fast

i'm just still frustrated after yesterday, it took me 5 minutes to buy one game and get a demo

For what it's worth I'm with you. The hardware build is mediocre, looking at a retina display or a Vita before using the Wii U can be grating and the OS is complete poop. Love Scribblenauts and Little Inferno though, Mario is decent too I guess.

this I certainly agree with. I was shocked how much more vibrant the vita screen was in comparison to the one on the gamepad.

it's night and day, I had a hard time readjusting to using the gamepad afterwards.

Steph_E.

Aargh. Final stage in octopus dance, doing really well, and I get the 'the signal is unstable'. Game carries on regardless and I lose, because the notice fills the entire screen.

Just pause the damn game, or have a much more discrete notification.

That's the Ninjas doing their thing - Iowata says you are not allowed to complete the game!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
you think they will eventually bother increasing the 100 limit as backwards as they are?

I am kinda shocked it was not 50 :p

I still have 20 slots to add Japan gaffers while others have been requesting from my other NNIDs

I don't know if they will, but I hope so. I have ten, maybe nine free slots. And if I fill up I'm going to have to start axing gaffers when closer friends want to share info. 100 doesn't seem like a lot when you've got so many people adding you. Maybe that's what they intended the follow feature for.

I expect the loading times to improve with future updates, although I've seen enough in recent years to be pretty sure that Nintendo are unlikely to surprise us with iOS-level snappiness.

With that said, in terms of loading actual apps, all of the consoles are pretty slow at the moment, though I think The PS3 store remains perhaps the biggest offender. If anything, it's gotten worse since the redesign. It's certainly a lot slower than Nintendo's, and the 360 stores have always been a barely decipherable mess (but not horribly slow, in my experience).

I think Nintendo's biggest issue is that crucial things like system settings fall victim to their apparent inability to create quick-loading applications. They should be available instantly, ala PS3.

I agree the gamepad also has its shortcomings, but I don't think that matters as much as the general interface of the system etc.

Even the smallest design choices seem so stupid, like not being able to navigate the Wii U Menu on your TV - you HAVE to look down at the gamepad to do it, even when it lets you switch it to the TV.

Is it a huge thing? No, but it's a stupid design choice and one of far too many. Things like that, along with the speed of the OS, really dampen my experience until I get in to the game.

It feels like a console designed at the start of the last generation, not the end of this one.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Tomorrow my WiiU will be turning a week. Frankly speaking, the console, and moreso its library, has exceeded my expectations. From the bundled-in software (Nintendo Land), to the things I've got from the eShop, I've been absolutely happy with this new pastime. Nintendo Land, in particular, has been a blast. Perhaps I had too low expectations of this game, and it has easily managed to blow me away. And I'm not even referring to how my entire family loves it - that's easily understandable, but I, a 37-year-old jaded-as-fuck gamer love it as well. And to think of it, I used to smirk at the E3 reveal of the game. Bravo nintendo, you sneaky bastards!

I've got a Wii U for about a week and love it, though, is their a way to shut the Wii U pad off f I'm watching Netflix or Amazon instant video? Was watching LOTR and the screen stayed on the entire time.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I don't know if they will, but I hope so. I have ten, maybe nine free slots. And if I fill up I'm going to have to start axing gaffers when closer friends want to share info. 100 doesn't seem like a lot when you've got so many people adding you. Maybe that's what they intended the follow feature for.

Can't you always make a new, non-Gaf, Mii for actual friends and family?

Cosmozone

In other news, my Wii U froze for the first time last night. Actually two times. My internet connection crapped out for some reason and behaved very unreliable for some time. The Wii U didn't like that at all. Freeze occurred when switching between menu and Miiverse. Providing an advanced OS is definitely a challenge for Nintendo. Hope they build up internal know-how and do not just outsource this kind of stuff.

I agree the gamepad also has its shortcomings, but I don't think that matters as much as the general interface of the system etc.

Even the smallest design choices seem so stupid, like not being able to navigate the Wii U Menu on your TV - you HAVE to look down at the gamepad to do it, even when it lets you switch it to the TV.

Is it a huge thing? No, but it's a stupid design choice and one of far too many. Things like that, along with the speed of the OS, really dampen my experience until I get in to the game.

It feels like a console designed at the start of the last generation, not the end of this one.

I've never even thought about that at all. It's probably because I consider the gamepad screen to be the main screen for the OS. Doing all that stuff on the gamepad comes naturally to me.

Alex

Even with so-so parts, the specs are more than enough to drive a speedy OS, especially with such lightweight apps and functionality. Most of this crap should load near instantaneously, it's just the OS that's total shit.

They have more than enough room to improve it over time, but I'm not throwing a lot of faith into Nintendo actually doing anything. When it comes to tech and functionality with Nintendo, I keep my expectations to nil. I go in planning to buy a simple brick that will play a few of their games a year and anything else is gravy.

i'm just still frustrated after yesterday, it took me 5 minutes to buy one game and get a demo

PS3 can be chuggy as fuck, a friend amusingly compared their (I have to assume PS4 focused) store redesign to what Windows runs like without video card drivers. Still, it only took me a couple minutes to queue up the entire PS+ lineup for Nov. and get it going the other day, so it's more obnoxious to use with the low specs than outright slow.

It also doesn't take any time to get into sys menus and the like, that's something that just baffles me with the Wii U more than any of the internet apps. Miiverse needs to come down, the browser is...reasonable but could also come down, and I have no idea why it takes eons for Youtube or Netflix to load, but they all make more sense than the time it takes me to get around sys menus.

In other news, my Wii U froze for the first time last night. Actually two times. My internet connection crapped out for some reason and behaved very unreliable for some time. The Wii U didn't like that at all. Freeze occurred when switching between menu and Miiverse. Providing an advanced OS is definitely a challenge for Nintendo. Hope they build up internal know-how and do not just outsource this kind of stuff.

Same thing happened to me. My first lock after having it a week was when I tried to download the Fifa demo last night and my net crapped out for a second.

Marco1

gonna answer this question for the Nth time
wonder if this time i'll get at least a "thank you"

your purchases are tied to your account, but your account is tied to the hw.
right now just nintendo the untie an account.

when ragnarokx sent his broken console to Nintendo they sent him a new one and he had to manually reassociate the account to the console (simply logging in).

therefore the system is in place, we are just not able to do it by ourselves.

Thank you.

pestul

How does the image quality compare to the xbox360?
Also can the front-end display 1080p?
Thanks.

I think it looks really good if you have an excellent display and configured correctly. I believe Wii U outputs limited range RGB over HDMI (?) So you have to correct that yourself in the TVs settings.

Marco1

I think it looks really good if you have an excellent display and configured correctly. I believe Wii U outputs limited range RGB over HDMI (?) So you have to correct that yourself in the TVs settings.

Thank goodness, I recently upgraded my TV to one that supports limited/normal black levels.

Krakatoa

Even with so-so parts, the specs are more than enough to drive a speedy OS, especially with such lightweight apps and functionality. Most of this crap should load instantaneously, it's the OS that's total shit.

I think the Issue with Miiverse is that the app is web based and needs to connect to the webserver. So in order to improve Miiverse they need to speed up the MiiVerse servers.

The downside of it being web based is that people with crappy internet connections are always going to have a slow ass experience. I guess this could be reduced by allowing local caching. And simple refresh button to get the latest content.

Has anyone tried connecting to Miiiverse offline to see if it caches? If so is it speedier?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
@eatChildren
what's going to happen to this thread after japan launch?

Not sure. Seeing how it goes I guess.

How does the image quality compare to the xbox360?
Also can the front-end display 1080p?
Thanks.

The Wii U automatically outputs a 1080p signal for everything, even if the games are rendered at 720p, just like the Xbox 360 and not the PlayStation 3, if that's what you're asking.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Stupid question, but can you play the Wii U without plugging it on a TV? Like, just plug the console alone and play directly on the Gamepad just like that?

Stupid question, but can you play the Wii U without plugging it on a TV? Like, just plug the console alone and play directly on the Gamepad just like that?

As long as you had a TV to hook it up to to make all the initial settings after first buying the Wii U, yes - that part requires a TV set. Though it also depends on the game/app, some games/apps of course don't support Gamepad play, and for those that do, it depends on how you turn on that mode.

Fox Mulder

Just went in to the Miiverse and wanted to change my name from "Matty" which my girlfriend gave me to "Matthew"

A fucking 5 minute process with these loading times.

How Nintendo thought this was acceptable is beyond me. Everything LITERALLY takes 10x longer than it should. Doing anything is such a pain because you have to wait so long.

I just don't use anything. My WiiU is a NSMBU machine, as the OS is slow as shit and the eshop is bare with no VC. I still need to try ZombiU though.

Nintendo thinks their shitty touchscreens in 2012 are fine, so they probably think the OS is great too.

Hawk269

I've got a Wii U for about a week and love it, though, is their a way to shut the Wii U pad off f I'm watching Netflix or Amazon instant video? Was watching LOTR and the screen stayed on the entire time.

At the time there is no way to turn off the pad while watching Netflix/amazon etc. The option exists, but to get to it causes the playback to pause. I am sure that there will be a update in the future since so many people wish this would work while watching movies.

For me, I have a really nice home theatre set up with dimming lights etc...having that screen blaring off to the side is an annoyance, but since Netflix for some reason does not support 5.1 or higher audio, I really don't use it.

Does anyone know if Amazon Video or Hulu Plus Apps on Wii U support 5.1 or higher?

Playing NSMBU and I really miss the 'item in reserve' mechanic from the DS games, where you could tap the bottom screen to use an item. It made collecting Star Coins that required a specific power up much less of a pain in the arse.

Awesome game otherwise though! Don't know how anyone could possibly get sick of 2D Mario. :3

Another reason why Super Mario World is still the best!

Marco1

Nintendo have one the best catalogs out there so I'm expecting greatness from the virtual games but I thought that about the wii and they disappointed me.
Although wiiu is a more powerful machine and I'm hoping to play my SuperN, N64, GC games on the pad. Make it happen Nintendo, please don't fuck this up.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Not a stupid question, and yes, yes you can! It's awesome.

Good, i was thinking of bringing it at my parents house to pass time this evening, but didn't want to waste time plugging it on a TV and all that crap and just play Mario like if it was a handheld game.

Ein Bear

Good, i was thinking of bringing it at my parents house to pass time tonight, but didn't want to waste time plugging it on a TV and all that crap and just play Mario like if it was a handheld game.

The GamePad really is amazing. I spent all day yesterday hungover in bed playing NSMB on the Pad. The hell with your pretty effects, this is next-gen :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just notice that club Nintendo automatically shows you games you bought on the eshop, but you need to click specific titles to claim stars for them.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sorry if posted, but Nintendo Europe confirmed Need for Speed and F1 Allstars for Q1 2013 and March respectively.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Puddle is a bizarre game.
OK, it's like Fluidity / Hydroventure, and I'm enjoying it. But some of the cut scenes are quite odd.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm not a coder so I don't know.

I just meant as a general piece of hardware it's not impressive. Not a next-gen leap in power, boring/dated/messy UI, a slow OS, etc etc.

Utter rubbish.

I don't agree with this at all. To each his own (obviously), but the UI is hardly "boring" or even "messy". Wara Wara changes everyday, with the most popular games being spotlighted along with gamer communication going on about that title. That has already proven to be a powerful and useful tool, with many gamers picking up ZombiU even after polarizing reviews becuase of the overwhelming positivity on Miiverse. The menu on the Gamerpad is barebones, but all the media you need to jump into is literally a touch or swipe away. The same can't be said for either the last generation consoles (which sometimes require an extensive search process to access some media), and it is a step up in that regard. Could it be better? Sure. In a better world the Gamerpad would have a Vita-like setup that is more appealing to the eyes and allowing more customization.

Miiverse is nice to doodle around with, brag about gaming accomplishments, and have brief conversations on games, but it really shines when needing a question answered or help with a certain game. Being able to post a picture of the problem you are having along with a description while pausing the game is easy to do, as well as jumping back into your game while waiting for an answer. Through personal experience, answers are giving quickly and most users seem to be very helpful. The same can be done with the Internet browser to look for a FAQ or answer, where your current screen can be displayed on the television for easier access. Could these be better? Well yes. More opitions within Miiverse would be nice along with much MUCH quicker loading (which is a must) would go a long way in approving the experience. Also, the gamerpad home button pulsing green instead of blue for miiverse notifications would have been a nice touch. But right now nothing else quite like miiverse is offered on other gaming consoles, and Miiverse integration within games such as NintendoLand can make for a much more lively and connected experience.

Other features such as being able to access the EShop while pausing a game, and downloading software, apps, updates, etc. in the background is a huge step froward (that will undoubtedly be matched by 720/PS4). Then you have the ability to play games and use apps on the Gamerpad (with the majority of software/apps not even needing a TV) and all the new gaming possibilities/intuitiveness the Gamerpad offers, which are features that probably won't be matched be either of the other next gen consoles.

Nintendo being Nintendo, the WiiU is missing some key features such as party chat, achievements, video chat being mostly useless as an app that requires you to quit your game, weird quirks like needing to access Miiverse for messages, etc. though I think the major issue (right now) is the slowness of the whole thing. But even if that can't be fixed, I still wouldn't call it "utterly rubbish".

This is the best response to your question:

14231232.jpg
41231231222.jpg

124212312312123123423.jpg
412321312.jpg

412312312312312312313.jpg
312312312.jpg

AND its connected to the internet through his smartphone.

JOKE'S ON YOU HAHA!! :p

Nintendo being Nintendo, the WiiU is missing some key features such as party chat, achievements, video chat being mostly useless as an app that requires you to quite your game, weird quirks like needing to access Miiverse for messages, etc. though I think the major issue (right now) is the slowness of the whole thing. But even if that can't be fixed, I still wouldn't call it "utterly rubbish".

Say, does the video chat show any potential of being (eventually, after patching any slowness/bugness issues) more convenient to use than something like Facetime or GTalk on phones?

edit: there is an impressive slew of features on the Wii U which fall *just short* (or sometimes far short) of their potential, enough to make them seem useless (to me) where they could be otherwise spleensplatteringly amazing. Good gods, I want Nintendo to announce that Panorama View can somehow stream from existing 360° Internet enabled cams!

NateDrake

Miiverse is pretty snappy for me? Honestly can't say I'm having anywhere near the level of issues some are.

Miiverse loads very quickly for me. Seems these issues are random for people. I haven't encountered a bad Miiverse session yet with long loads or anything.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thats my favorite aspect of the Wii U

Is the controller play and Charge? If not I guess I could buy one of those 4x Battery packs.

You can play while charging yes. It comes with its own fairly bulky AC adapter, but nyko is doing a charge cable which charges via USB, so you might be able to charge by connecting up to the WiiU

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Say, does the video chat show any potential of being (eventually, after patching any slowness/bugness issues) more convenient to use than something like Facetime or GTalk on phones?

I need to use it more, but unless Nintendo patches in the option to Video Chat while pausing your game or even accepting a call while still playing your game on the television; then no. Never used GTalk, but you could just FaceTime a friend through your wifi or 3/4G connection, and carry it anywhere, use it while gaming, etc. You could also Skype your friend on a laptop while play against them on the WiiU, which might not sound convenient but considering you don't have to quit your game and can actual play while video chatting, go three-way, etc., it is overall a better opition.

Right now WiiU video chat seems like a neat novelty that might get some use from somebody who happens to own a WiiU but no other device that can video chat A.K.A. kids. Doodling on someone's face is cool though... I guess.

Rich!

Pissed off that Blockbuster don't sell eshop cards. I get 20% off accessories and points cards via my girlfriend's staff discount. So essentially, I would have got £50 worth to spend in the eshop for just £40. And then when I hit £60 spent online, id get a fiver back via the premium network deal.

Was hoping to go all digital with that route...but ah well. Would have saved me a lot of money.

Pissed off that Blockbuster don't sell eshop cards. I get 20% off accessories and points cards via my girlfriend's staff discount. So essentially, I would have got £50 worth to spend in the eshop for just £40. And then when I hit £60 spent online, id get a fiver back via the premium network deal.

Was hoping to go all digital with that route...but ah well. Would have saved me a lot of money.

wasn't it £62.50?

anyway, I'll go all digital the day they announce account migration / content linked to accounts not hardware. may be silly to some, but with the problems the wii u is suffering with patches potentially bricking consoles and the like, I don't want to risk it.

Bumhead

Banned
Just been playing Black Ops 2 on the Wii U, and I'm really impressed with it.

Not sure if its because I've come straight off the PS3 version, or if its because I was playing it on the smaller screen, but the GamePad display makes this game look really good. I was playing a game on Cargo and the lighting and water effects across the bay at the rear of the map actually made me stop and check them out mid game. It looked noticeably good compared to anything I've seen in a COD game before.

I've taken to the GamePad controls pretty quickly too, although the button config took some getting used to.

Really good stuff. I reckon this might be one of those games I play almost exclusively on the GamePad screen. Playing the full COD experience on this wonderful controller with a screen this good while my wife watches TV is so fucking amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom