• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
My USB stock is up 24Mbps. I think it should be okay. But I will get a larger HDD.
24MB/s is impressive. Which vendor and model is that? My 32GB Kingston DataTraveler 100 G2 does only 3.3MB/s, not even a class-4 SDHC equivalent (and I have a bunch of class-10 here which all do 14-16MB/s).

Kokonoe

Banned
So I got my Game Pad in, Nintendo said they replaced it, except with this replacement I'm noticing the sticks are little bit looser and the right stick has an issue where it isn't smooth like the left stick. It's grindy when moving it on the edges. Bleh. It's probably not worth the time and effort to do this again so I guess I'll just deal with it. =/

zroid

Banned
So I got my Game Pad in, Nintendo said they replaced it, except with this replacement I'm noticing the sticks are little bit looser and the right stick has an issue where it isn't smooth like the left stick. It's grindy when moving it on the edges. Bleh. It's probably not worth the time and effort to do this again so I guess I'll just deal with it. =/

If it's just loose or misaligned sticks, could be a pretty easy DIY fix

Not sure if this has been covered much on here, but Ive seen it mentioned in a couple of Wii U reviews.

I have the deluxe console and Im OCD with all my stuff. However there are quite a few scratches on it already. When I first set it up I used the feet to stand the console vertically. I took great care putting them on too. However upon removing them both feet have scratched both sides of the console. Also finger marks seem really hard to remove even with a microfibre cloth.

The Gamepad is okay so far, but if I am OCD with my stuff I can only imagine what some Wii U's will look like after a couple of months.

Yeah it's pretty bad. After unpacking the console, I saw some fingerprints I had made and decided to try to remove them gently with a very soft cloth. Ended up with a bunch of scratches :-/

Yeah it's pretty bad. After unpacking the console, I saw some fingerprints I had made and decided to try to remove them gently with a very soft cloth. Ended up with a bunch of scratches :-/
Those aren't scratches, they're character. They let the other electronics know its not to be trifled with. It's seen some shit in its day.

jonno394

Just finished Trine 2 (excliding dc stuff). Amazing game, everyone should have this on their Wii U. Probably gonna take a break from it and go back to the DC stuff later.

Barring Bit.Trip are there any other good eshop games being released that we know of? The Cave could be interesting....

dwu8991

Banned
Just finished Trine 2 (excliding dc stuff). Amazing game, everyone should have this on their Wii U. Probably gonna take a break from it and go back to the DC stuff later.

Barring Bit.Trip are there any other good eshop games being released that we know of? The Cave could be interesting....

Puddle is a cool game, uses gyro but if you like DK crash course then you should like this as it is similar.

Kevtones

just picked up arkham city and Ninja gaiden, I hope ninja gaiden is ok with out the pro controller.

NG is nice man. I played a bunch of off-screen play and enjoyed my time with it much more than I thought I would. Pacing is pretty damn good now. Combat is quite satisfying, too.

I'm interested in Mutant Mudds Deluxe and 1001 Spikes. Two Brothers could be pretty good, but I'm not a fan of RPGs.

netBuff

24MB/s is impressive. Which vendor and model is that? My 32GB Kingston DataTraveler 100 G2 does only 3.3MB/s, not even a class-4 SDHC equivalent (and I have a bunch of class-10 here which all do 14-16MB/s).

SD card classes refer to write speeds, not read speeds: But your stick seems to be extremely slow either way (but I'd be highly surprised if all you get is 3,3MB/s read speed).

Does anyone else have an issue with Wii games not being full screen? There's a small black border around the whole screen, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

TV Overscan settings are your best bet.

Back in the 30's and 40's when TV was being developed the best way to make a straight edge was to put a hole with straight edges in front of the tube. This was the bezel. You lost 10% off of the top, bottom, and sides to this. Smart game makers would not bother to render anything to this - hence black bars.

Early HDTV sets had and overscan area as well, but in the last couple of years most of them default to no overscan, or at least have a no overscan option.

It's really something that should have been covered in the ATSC spec, but it wasn't.

EDIT: My day isn't complete without a rant about overscan and the shortsightedness of the ATSC.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Does Nintendo have plans to allow people to make non-game apps for the Wii U?

Kacho

Gold Member
I apologize in advance, as I'm sure this has been covered before. I just have a question concerning the Wii U and the Virtual Console.

What is the expectation for Virtual Console availability on the Wii U going forward? Can we expect to play our games straight from the Wii U menu or will they forever be locked away in the Wii mode?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I'm actually enjoying AC3 even with its shortcomings. The world is absolutely gorgeous, and the techinical problems haven't been as bad as advertised for me (yet). It does have some weird ass control issues though, and something about the game just feels a bit clumsy. But overall I am enjoying it much more then AC1 or AC2.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I apologize in advance, as I'm sure this has been covered before. I just have a question concerning the Wii U and the Virtual Console.

What is the expectation for Virtual Console availability on the Wii U going forward? Can we expect to play our games straight from the Wii U menu or will they forever be locked away in the Wii mode?

It is expected that they will release a Wii U VC, but we have no idea on the release date.

My guess is that they wait until E3.

zroid

Banned

We expect, at some point, Virtual Console games will be released on Wii U and will be playable normally, and on the GamePad. The question is if whether Nintendo will gradually migrate all or most of the Wii VC, or make the Wii U have entirely its own thing (with some crossover) like on 3DS. It also remains to be seen whether or not the games we already purchased on Wii will be made available at no additional charge if released on Wii U.

help me spend my loot! Warriors or Tekken?

ddp.jpg

Its already been hinted we'll see a Wii U VC in the near future. As others said, maybe upcoming E3 will cover it.

How it will handle your Wii VC content is the question. If it does not carry over your current content... I'll never again buy digital from Nintendo... in fact, I haven't bought digital yet as I'm waiting to see what they do with my Wii VC stuff.

I'll understand of WiiWare stays put. (no different from Wii disc games) But VC should move along as that's the point to VC.

I have 24VC titles and play to buy quite a bit more from N64 era (now that we have pro controller) and hopefully GC era.

Michan

Good morning and good luck, J-GAF!

I visited Yodobashi Akiba and Shibuya Crossing Tsutaya last night to see their Wii U displays, and there were LOTS of people surrounding them and pre-ordering games, despite the (obviously) halted console pre-sales.

Will be picking up my Wii U from Shibuya Crossing Tsutaya at 10AM (the earliest) this morning.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
SD card classes refer to write speeds, not read speeds: But your stick seems to be extremely slow either way (but I'd be highly surprised if all you get is 3,3MB/s read speed).
Yes, I know how SDHC cards are rated. As a rule their read speeds exceed their write speeds, though - such is the nature of flash. Re that 3.3MB/s USB flashdrive - that is indeed quite slow. I also have a bunch of older Kingstons here (also Data Traveler, just the older series) and they don't have much issue reaching 16+MB/s at reading, alas none of them is 32GB big.

Michan

Not as interesting as the pictures being linked to by Cheesemeister, but here are some I took at Yodobashi Akiba last night:

iZNn7NEgcYaXU.JPG

Stopped taking pre-orders on screen protectors?!

iKuDZF3siCMex.jpg

Animal Crossing still sold out!

iTbz5BLi1kvpv.JPG

A huge Vita display grabs lots of attention as you enter the games floor.

There was absolutely no mention of the MonHun Premium bundle anywhere. I did not take any pictures of the (actually quite large) Wii U aisle, but there was a lot of activity surrounding it.

Of note, there are still no playable demo units.

Good morning and good luck, J-GAF!

I visited Yodobashi Akiba and Shibuya Crossing Tsutaya last night to see their Wii U displays, and there were LOTS of people surrounding them and pre-ordering games, despite the (obviously) halted console pre-sales.

Will be picking up my Wii U from Shibuya Crossing Tsutaya at 10AM (the earliest) this morning.

might see you on my way out, i'm headed to the smaller bic near 109 for a 9am pickup in a sec.

pretty excited for a day of watching firmware updates download!

Hoo-doo

Banned
Over a hundred Wii-U's in stock right now at the store here (Netherlands). 80 Deluxe and 24 normal units.

They certainly aren't supply constrained, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom