• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
I'm going to catch up on some giant bomb quick looks with the Wii U browser. It'll be a nice change to see them on my TV.

Teknoman

I wish the Eshop...and all other current console shops would just have the store divided into sections.

Just have some background music, a simple "Retail" "Demos" "Arcade/Wiiware/etc." "Application" and "Video" section.

Its not that big a deal, but all 3 shops I have to search for something instead of just clicking on demo, and looking for the name of the game.

guek

Banned
things are going to have to get reorganized significantly in the future. The current layout simply cannot accommodate a large number of titles once the game library gets to a certain size. It needs a proper category system.

I think the same applies for miiverse communities as well. It's already starting to feel jumbled and disorganized. They need an easy way to categorize and sort those miiverse communities asap.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's been complained about before, but the whole "console specific saves regardless of account" is so weird. My housemate finally got around to making his own account, and it's like...what's the point? He doesn't really care about Miiverse nor will use the eShop as it's my system, so what's the point of having an account? He can't play games with the security of having his own file specific to his profile. He cant edit game options without them effecting my profile. And vice versa. Like, he can't play ZombiU survival mode alongside me because there's only one save slot.

Another baffling oddity in Nintendo's oh-so-confusing policies. It's not a big deal, but it doesn't make any sense at all. Weird.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It's been complained about before, but the whole "console specific saves regardless of account" is so weird. My housemate finally got around to making his own account, and it's like...what's the point? He doesn't really care about Miiverse nor will use the eShop as it's my system, so what's the point of having an account? He can't play games with the security of having his own file specific to his profile. He cant edit game options without them effecting my profile. And vice versa. Like, he can't play ZombiU survival mode alongside me because there's only one save slot.

Another baffling oddity in Nintendo's oh-so-confusing policies. It's not a big deal, but it doesn't make any sense at all. Weird.
Some of the points of player account originally anounced in the ND's were exactly those things you mention. I guess the system is still a tad raw.

Scum

Is such a shame that Nintendo allow their "We must reinvent the wheel" ways ruin their ideas. They come up with an acount system and then mess it up with something so silly as this. :-/

guek

Banned

So much of their issues are so baffling in their bizarreness that I wish they'd hire someone like me to whisper in their ear about simple choices. Not big things like system architecture or what games to make, etc., but just small stuff that most people would assume would be common sense.

Part of me also wonders though whether they're actually aware of all those little oddities and simply choose to ignore them. iwatalaughs indeed.

Scum

So, what exactly is stopping Nintendo from using Club Nintendo as their main "hub" for an account system?
I mean, I create a NNID account on my WiiU. I can link my account to my Club Nintendo account, which in turn can keep track of my purchases. Nintendo themselves can reinstate my software purchases if someone goes wrong.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just let Nintendo console/handheld owners just create an account on the system, link it to their Club Nintendo account and be done with it? Or am I just ranting??

mAcOdIn

So, what exactly is stopping Nintendo from using Club Nintendo as their main "hub" for an account system?
I mean, I create a NNID account on my WiiU. I can link my account to my Club Nintendo account, which in turn can keep track of my purchases. Nintendo themselves can reinstate my software purchases if someone goes wrong.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just let Nintendo console/handheld owners just create an account on the system, link it to their Club Nintendo account and be done with it? Or am I just ranting??
I think the problem Nintendo ran into there is that Club Nintendo does not exist worldwide and as opposed to changing some regions existing Club Nintendo accounts, or their equivalent, to a single common one as opposed to launching in other regions that don't have a Club Nintendo they figured it'd be easier to just make a whole new thing that doesn't carry some of the baggage that Club Nintendo does. So right now with the NNID they don't have a website where you can access your history and shit like that, it's just all handled through the Wii U and that's all they had to handle.

zroid

Banned
I wish there were a button you could use the toggle the pause/play on the browser's video player. Kinda sucks having to look at the screen when you're not holding the GamePad.

Nibel

How can we add the king if you don't tell us his NNID?

ibJxIYLTdDXIA.gif

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
went to watch a few NFS videos on youtube I bet the Wii U version has been ready and they are doing/adding nothing to it for these extra months

EA man

Didn't ShockingAlberto practically confirm something like that?
Nothing surprises me about EA on Nintendo consoles any more.

Daknight

I wish there were a button you could use the toggle the pause/play on the browser's video player. Kinda sucks having to look at the screen when you're not holding the GamePad.

That would be nice. Even be able to use a wiimote to pause or play would be nice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Some of the points of player account originally anounced in the ND's were exactly those things you mention. I guess the system is still a tad raw.

I remember them saying accounts could share downloaded content, but not saves. Must have missed it. Either way, it's one of those goofy, nonsensical features I'd be very happy for Nintendo to patch in. There's not really any advantage with the way they've got it now. Doubt they ever will though. Over the Wii, 3DS and now Wii U, I have no confidence in the OS framework they build.

On the plus side, Miiverse continues to be awesome. I was surprised they didn't open a community for the Rayman Legends demo. Probably doesn't make much sense having a community open so long before a game comes out, but I guess it couldn't hurt. Especially while a demo is available. Get people talking, and all.

Didn't ShockingAlberto practically confirm something like that?
Nothing surprises me about EA on Nintendo consoles any more.

yeah I've seen that post but it is so hard to believe they are sitting on the finished game for 5-6 months like that without dong anything to it. I am not saying EA is not doing just that but it is so hard to believe.

This racing game could have been to only real racer on Wii U. I am still looking forward to it.

I spent a lot of time and money in NFS World. So this will still be cheaper for me unless there is paid DLC packs on Wii U eShop as well.

mackattk

So this is probably a stupid question, but I have $20 on my 3ds wallet that I have not used yet, is there any way to transfer that over to Wii u?

mAcOdIn

zroid

Banned
If they would get off their butts and finally follow through on that promise of letting us buy download codes from a web eShop, I wouldn't even care.

guek

Banned
If they would get off their butts and finally follow through on that promise of letting us buy download codes from a web eShop, I wouldn't even care.

you mean for unreleased software or do you mean prepaid cards...? or do you mean for the purpose of gifting

zroid

Banned
you mean for unreleased software or do you mean prepaid cards...? or do you mean for the purpose of gifting

Well gifting is a big part of it, for sure :)

I just mean generally buying codes from Nintendo's online store -- they already sell a handful of rotating games like that, but the whole catalogue ought to be available. If they had that, I wouldn't even bother with the 3DS/Wii U eShops.

Kacho

Gold Member
Well Wii games certainly look better when playing them on the Wii U. Currently playing Metroid Prime 2 and it looks a lot clearer/less muddy.

prwxv3

If anyone has gotten light scratches on the gamepad, toothpaste seems to be able to get rid of them. I would still get a screen protector though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Which games do this? I know NSMB and Nintendoland do, but I just put that down to Nintendo being Nintendo. Didn't realise zombiU is the same.

For Nintendoland its kind of ok because you can switch Miis for each game so it doesn't really matter which account is signed in - although how does it track in your profile? Eg if I sign in as me, load up Nintendoland and then my son plays a bunch of games - will those show up on my profile if others click on me, or on his?

Just as with any other touch screen device I've ever owned, I refuse to get a screen protector. Always makes it look and feel like shit. Should be durable enough on its own.

FafaFooey

No shortage of WiiU's in the Netherlands. They had one hooked up but everytime I wanted to grab the controller the alarm went off.. Any kid that had even the slightest bit of interest immediately went back to the PS3 pod.

wiiu.jpg

Bumhead

Banned
Well Wii games certainly look better when playing them on the Wii U. Currently playing Metroid Prime 2 and it looks a lot clearer/less muddy.

I have no frame of reference having never owned a Wii, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how non-shit Wii games look on the Wii U. Played Smash Brawl and SMG and both look great.

nickcv

That is a little annoying, wish Nintendo would move to a unified Nintendo wallet.

actually the wallet is part of your NNID, problem is that the 3DS does not use your NNID, therefore what you have on your 3DS wallet is tied to the hw itself.

if they will bring over NN to the 3DS you'll have a single wallet across both systems.

you can read in the official nintendo faqs that your wallet is part of your NNID

Question: I've got the Wii component cable, but the audio is insanely quiet through my speakers.

The speakers are Harman Kardon Sound Sticks, which use a 3.5 mm jack. I'm using the same Turtle Beach rca -> 3.5mm adaptor that I used with PS3, and it's fine there.

Is there any reason the audio output should be so low here?

Thought I could handle not having a Screen Protector for my Gamepad, but idk if I can take it anymore!! I feel like a father that needs to Protect his daughter from the dangers of Romneys "Binders of Women"

Kenobi

anyone else having buffering issues with the youtube app? netflix runs fine but youtube seems to stutter too much. anyone with any remedies? thanks!

luffeN

Whaaa...? ZombiU seems to have unique saves per Wii U user account. The game actually uses a universal save?

I logged in with a different Mii and there were no save files. So it should be on a Mii per Mii basis. Start the console, select the other Mii and it should be good to go.

Thought I could handle not having a Screen Protector for my Gamepad, but idk if I can take it anymore!! I feel like a father that needs to Protect his daughter from the dangers of Romneys "Binders of Women"

I only think of screen protector when I am bashing at Ninjas in Nintendo Land or using a sharper ballpoint pen to get a pixel in a drawing on miiverse.

I noticed unless my screen is perfectly clean when I am drawing when I want my pixel will be off dramatically due to the dirty screen but in the end I don't think I'll invest in this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom