• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Wara Wara Plaza running animation is pretty amazing if you spin it a lot they take the shortest line to where they belong but all of them doing that at the same time nearly bumping into each other is fun to watch

Does any know how big the Tekken Wii U community is? I'm a Tekken noob so I don't need thousands of A grade players at all times, just some people to fight.

there are plenty of Tekken newbies just like me out there I just have too many games so I only gave it a few hours so far but you should not expect everyone to be high level Pros on Wii U.

What I found with my first playtime with it is that there are plenty of characters and fighting styles
but the gamepad touch screen has the complex special moves mapped so one little touch you can pull off a combo like a pro if that is the way you want to play it. I am not sure how someone playing like that would fair against a veteran player but it makes it easy to pick up and fight.

I went 4 W - O L on story mode before I turned it off. Have too many games to go back yet but it is very content packed and a pretty game.

Pharros

No Nintendo TVii rumors release date or anything? I know they december but I hope not december 31st..

I'm wondering the same thing. Will there be a Direct or anything I wonder? Basically 2 weeks to release it, and I'm sure they would not want another delay right after everyone opens their new Wii U Christmas gifts.

Hypatia

I know I sound like a broken record in this thread but goddamn Nintendos online is so broken.
via LAN I can't access my friendslist at all.
via WIFI connected to a PC hotspot I get much slower speeds than other wifi devices and sometimes eshop doesn't load.
via WIFI connected to the actual router I get constant disconnections and need to click links repeatedly before they load (if they do).

I dont understand how it's so shit when every other console, handheld and magical wifi device I have has none of these problems :/

On the plus side I just tried the Rayman Legends demo and it is awesome.

I really didn't think I'd be buying so many games for my Wii U.... picked up Nintendo Land two days ago and I've already bought three games off the eshop in addition to the two games that came with the console (ZombiU and NSMBU).

And I reaaaally love asymmetric multiplayer. ZombiU was brilliant though it's a shame theres no online and it's limited to two players. NSMB was a lot of fun too, especially using the pad to sabotage my friends, heh. Can't wait to try Rayman and Nintendo Land with others. Metroid Blast is my fave minigame so far, I bet it's great with 4 other people.

Thoraxes

I didn't realize you were being sarcastic, my fault. I just feel The Wonderful 101 seems childish to me is because of the characters and gameplay. This is the first time I have heard of the game under its new name, so maybe I am not giving it enough of a chance.

Other members in this thread shouldn't have to attack someone, when they barely even know that person's taste in games. Sure, I enjoy a shooter or sports game often, but I could also play Animal Crossing or Pokemon for a week straight and not care if you think the game is for a kid. Clearly, people missed where I said I would buy a Wii U for Monster Hunter 3 and Pikmin 3.

When you make statements without saying why, of course people are going to jump to conclusions.

So, I asked this in the Nintendo Land thread, but I felt like here would be faster (maybe) and I'm an impatient person.

In the Yoshi game in Nintendo Land, your Mii gets dressed in a white shirt and blue overalls. After the devs commented in the Iwata Asks that they designed the costumes deliberately to match the series, I was wondering if there was a character in the Yoshi games like that? I did some Googling, but couldn't find anything relevant.

mAcOdIn

I know I sound like a broken record in this thread but goddamn Nintendos online is so broken.
via LAN I can't access my friendslist at all.
via WIFI connected to a PC hotspot I get much slower speeds than other wifi devices and sometimes eshop doesn't load.
via WIFI connected to the actual router I get constant disconnections and need to click links repeatedly before they load (if they do).

I dont understand how it's so shit when every other console, handheld and magical wifi device I have has none of these problems :/
I think the way Nintendo's devices communicate with the network sets off alarm bells with some routers.

Whenever you have weird errors like that I almost always check and see how it operates with the firewall in the router turned off. Frankly, I think the firewall in modern routers is near useless anyways, so long as you're still behind the NAT, basically not putting your shit in the DMZ, you should be fine. I would disable the firewall and then do a test, especially since you have problems with both the lan adapter AND wifi.

I gotta be honest here, the DSi was a mess on my router but the 3DS and Wii U have been relatively painless on both of my wireless routers, Nintendo is getting better but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if their services were still router firewall unfriendly.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So... When is Nintendo gonna start announcing games for my Wii u in the second half of 2013 and beyond? C'mon now.

At the last minute, in true Nintendo fashion.

Bii

So, I asked this in the Nintendo Land thread, but I felt like here would be faster (maybe) and I'm an impatient person.

In the Yoshi game in Nintendo Land, your Mii gets dressed in a white shirt and blue overalls. After the devs commented in the Iwata Asks that they designed the costumes deliberately to match the series, I was wondering if there was a character in the Yoshi games like that? I did some Googling, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Not sure if serious. But on the chance that you are...Mario?

I'm assuming the white shirt is just a generic color and not pointing towards a specific outfit of Mario's (or Luigi's).

Not sure if serious. But on the chance that you are...Mario?

I'm assuming the white shirt is just a generic color and not pointing towards a specific outfit of Mario's (or Luigi's).

Serious.

They used Mario/Luigi in the others, and even the Takamaru costume seems fairly faithful, so I was just curious. I didn't think they'd just use a generic color scheme.

shibbs

Which mii's appear on your wii u homescreen? Only system user mii's and online friends? Because I've created some other mii's and don't see them.

Madouu

I've been using my wii u a lot to play a few wii games and every once in a while I'll try to click the home button and look for the miiverse option to post a screenshot or see what's up in my feed only to remember that it's not available in wii mode :(
I think it says a lot about how well implemented Miiverse is. I just hope they keep working on it to improve it even more and not just forget about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A way to check which games have user specific save files is to go to memory management and look in the folder of a game.

In addition to a system save file, which may be universal between users, the individual saves of each user account show up as separate files in the folder.

ZombieU has separate save files for each user/mii.

NSMB U actually does have separate save files for each user as well - in order to keep track of personal accomplishments and Miiverse posts made in the world map. So the Mii you're playing with when playing NSMB U does make a difference.

So do accounts/users you choose from whey you start the machine not matter? Say you create (and favourite) a Mii but don't make them a user, will Nintendoland still create a unique save for them?

guek

Banned
I've been using my wii u a lot to play a few wii games and every once in a while I'll try to click the home button and look for the miiverse option to post a screenshot or see what's up in my feed only to remember that it's not available in wii mode :(
I think it says a lot about how well implemented Miiverse is. I just hope they keep working on it to improve it even more and not just forget about it.

Miiverse is pretty incredible, though of course the mileage varies from person to person. I was thinking about what made it so neat earlier today when it dawned on me how cool it was to be inducted into a specific community simply for owning a game. I could post on facebook about my gaming habits but no one would care and only a very limited number of people would really see it. I could tweet about my gaming too but unless I'm someone famous, no one is going to care either (and even fewer people are going to see it).

With miiverse though you automatically have not only a very broad range of thousands of people who have the potential to see it but thousands of people who have a much higher likelihood of caring about what you're going to say about the game in question. Even if it's just "this game rocks!" you're likely to reach an anonymous audience that's actually going to care and may communicate back than if you posted such a statement on facebook or twitter. Even posting your opinion on neogaf will usually go seemingly ignored since there's no easy "like" button for posts.

Of course, you're not always going to get a ton of responses or yeahs! for every single thing you post. But putting up screenshots, commenting on a game, drawing pictures, etc., it somehow feels so much more engaging and enjoyable when you know that the people reading it almost certainly have some level of investment in the game as well. This is something that feels relatively rare on other social networks or even on GAF where you're practically guaranteed to eventually meet someone who disagrees with your opinion and feels like you should know just how wrong you are.

However, it is completely understandable why something like miiverse wouldn't appeal to everyone. Not everyone cares about crap like that. But the same can be said about stuff like achievements. In the end, it's just really amazing to have for those of us that DO enjoy it.

Fess

Miiverse is pretty incredible, though of course the mileage varies from person to person. I was thinking about what made it so neat earlier today when it dawned on me how cool it was to be inducted into a specific community simply for owning a game. I could post on facebook about my gaming habits but no one would care and only a very limited number of people would really see it. I could tweet about my gaming too but unless I'm someone famous, no one is going to care either (and even fewer people are going to see it).

With miiverse though you automatically have not only a very broad range of thousands of people who have the potential to see it but thousands of people who have a much higher likelihood of caring about what you're going to say about the game in question. Even if it's just "this game rocks!" you're likely to reach an anonymous audience that's actually going to care and may communicate back than if you posted such a statement on facebook or twitter. Even posting your opinion on neogaf will usually go seemingly ignored since there's no easy "like" button for posts.

Of course, you're not always going to get a ton of responses or yeahs! for every single thing you post. But putting up screenshots, commenting on a game, drawing pictures, etc., it somehow feels so much more engaging and enjoyable when you know that the people reading it almost certainly have some level of investment in the game as well. This is something that feels relatively rare on other social networks or even on GAF where you're practically guaranteed to eventually meet someone who disagrees with your opinion and feels like you should know just how wrong you are.

However, it is completely understandable why something like miiverse wouldn't appeal to everyone. Not everyone cares about crap like that. But the same can be said about stuff like achievements. In the end, it's just really amazing to have for those of us that DO enjoy it.
+ Yeah
Wonderful explanation of what makes Miiverse so great :)

nickcv

Well that explains probably why I haven't found it yet. Also they're my favourite kind of secret! :p

Now that I think about it, I have an idea! :D

i just woke up, so probably that's half the reason, but i'm still not getting it XD

i'll think about it once i get home this afternoon

Pikmin 3 was talked about pretty early (forced by media) but that game was delayed then moved to Wii U then Delayed so Nintendo's last minute announcements are excuses when they see low sales they always announce things.

Wii U must be selling better than I thought

BowieZ

Banned
i just woke up, so probably that's half the reason, but i'm still not getting it XD

Haha yeah I struck out. Went through all the star coin secret areas to no avail, tried all the mini coin hidden bits I know of, no vines or high sky pipes I can reach. Hmmmm....

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The overalls match your Mii's colour.

nickcv

Haha yeah I struck out. Went through all the star coin secret areas to no avail, tried all the mini coin hidden bits I know of, no vines or high sky pipes I can reach. Hmmmm....

i do not remember clearly every single level in the first world atm, but iirc i think that secret passage is hidden into
the half world fortress

Chopper

Ha ha. It is a bastard.

The (slightly obvious) clue I dished out on Miiverse:

Think 1-2 secret on mega mushrooms.

nickcv

Ha ha. It is a bastard.

The (slightly obvious) clue I dished out on Miiverse:

Think 1-2 secret on mega mushrooms.

so is it in
1-2
?

am i the only one who's baffled by Nintendo ditching the red mark for levels with secret exits like in SMW?

luffeN

Heads-up PAL eShop: Both Chasing Aurora and Little Inferno will drop in price. CA down to 5,99 Euros and LI down to 9,99 Euros. The offers will last until 3rd and 4th of January, respectively. I don't know when exactly, but probably Thursday afternoon at the latest.

EDarkness

Heads-up PAL eShop: Both Chasing Aurora and Little Inferno will drop in price. CA down to 5,99 Euros and LI down to 9,99 Euros. The offers will last until 3rd and 4th of January, respectively. I don't know when exactly, but probably Thursday afternoon at the latest.

I wonder why the NA eShop doesn't get any sales...poor us.

NeoRausch

ah damm! who would have guessed that a sale would come that soon. Little Inferno is worth the money!
looks like it is true that devs can put up sales themself. cool!

now about those retail game prices in the eshop, nintendo....

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.

Thanks. Those drops are pretty substantial.
Sigh... Just my luck, though. Guess who purchased CA on a whim yesterday?!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
How is Chasing Aurora?

I definitely wouldn't recommend it for the single player mode, which basically consists of you flying round a circuit 20 times to try and beat your score. It seems a shame that for a game that's meant to be about the freedom of flight, the single player mode just keeps you playing cramped courses.

I've heard the game really comes alive in multi-player, but I haven't tried it yet.

Damn. I recently bought LI. At least more people will buy this game though - it's great.

panda21

does the wii u version of tekken have a fight request type mode where you can play against ghosts or the arcade mode and it just throws in online matches? i really liked that in street fighter.

kinggroin

Banned
does the wii u version of tekken have a fight request type mode where you can play against ghosts or the arcade mode and it just throws in online matches? i really liked that in street fighter.

Second part, no. I don't believe so. First part, I thought I saw a ghost mode, but not sure what it entails.

I think Component in general doesn't support True HD but only HD Ready.

It depends on the TV. Some TVs allow 1080p over component.

That makes no sense homey.

Yes. Component can support 1080p.

Will the Wii U work with then? No clue

Well, my general question was more or less if I can use my Wii component cables with my Wii U as well, so I don't have to go out and buy another cable. 720p would suffice as well.

Was there underscan on the Wii? It's been years since I played a Wii game on my actual Wii and don't really remember. Hopefully Nintendo addresses this in the Wii U's Wii mode at some point but I kind of doubt it. It's slightly annoying to swap modes between inputs (on top of the nuisance to reset and boot into Wii mode) but it's easy enough to fix for now, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom