• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

I am going to buy a wii u this Thursday with my bonus! So hyped!

ibzc7sc68JYOeq.gif

Well, my general question was more or less if I can use my Wii component cables with my Wii U as well, so I don't have to go out and buy another cable. 720p would suffice as well.

I play my Wii U in 720p using my Wii component cables.

My TV doesn't do 1080p so I can't answer that part sorry but I suspect its fine?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
By the way, with regards to Chasing Aurora being on sale in US, @mcloister of Broken Rules just tweeted this to me.

We'd love to put @Chasing_Aurora on sale in the US as well, but we can't yet...

mackattk

Is the Wii U Pro Controller and the Wii classic controller pretty much the same? Is there any benefit of buying the pro controller?

Deku Tree

Is the Wii U Pro Controller and the Wii classic controller pretty much the same? Is there any benefit of buying the pro controller?

Well I don't think they are interchangeable. I am not sure that you can just use the Wii classic controller for Wii U games that have Wii U Pro Controller support unfortunately.

Of course, if I am wrong I would love to hear about it. (I know that a few games provide this option, but as far as I can tell it is far from universal.)

mackattk

I don't think the Wii classic controller works with Wii U games. So there's that.

I had no idea about that. I knew the wii controller+nunchuck works. I assumed that the classic would too. I didn't want to dish out $50 if I didn't have a solid reason to do so.

Thanks!

By the way, with regards to Chasing Aurora being on sale in US, @mcloister of Broken Rules just tweeted this to me.

something is coming since another dev for Trine 2 said the same thing "can't yet"
something is planned for that big day when those kids wake up and find a Wii U under the tree I guess

could be this week who knows, I have not downloaded batman yet holding off to see if retail games also go on sale on eShop

JaseMath

I had no idea about that. I knew the wii controller+nunchuck works. I assumed that the classic would too. I didn't want to dish out $50 if I didn't have a solid reason to do so.

Thanks!

If it's any consolation, the Pro controller is a really, really nice pad. I hope they'll add support to play VC games on it - that'd be great.

Hoodbury

I was browsing Miiverse yesterday and there was a post by someone, just a normal post, but the Yeah button had a heart to the right of it. Does anyone know why?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I was browsing Miiverse yesterday and there was a post by someone, just a normal post, but the Yeah button had a heart to the right of it. Does anyone know why?

I've noticed this too and was wondering the same thing.

pswii60

Just a heads up. Been packaging my Wii U up for sale on eBay (buyer's remorse) and noticed that the two included stand clips which hold the console on its side have left significant scratch marks on the console. This is despite being incredibly careful and gentle with it at all times.

Please just be very careful with those stand clips - I'd avoid using them at all in hindsight. That glossy black surface is extremely prone to scratches, marks and scuffs :(

Well, my general question was more or less if I can use my Wii component cables with my Wii U as well, so I don't have to go out and buy another cable. 720p would suffice as well.

Seems like there's a lot of random side comments going on. I'm playing in 1080p with my Wii component cables on my Wii U.

Man I honestly thought you could just use the Wii Classic Controller Pro for Wii U stuff all this time (don't have any games that need/use it yet), had no idea the new one is mostly 'required' if you wanted to go that route.

I wanted to get more use out of my awesome gold one. :(

pswii60

Man I honestly thought you could just use the Wii Classic Controller Pro for Wii U stuff all this time (don't have any games that need/use it yet), had no idea the new one is mostly 'required' if you wanted to go that route.

I wanted to get more use out of my awesome gold one. :(

You can't even use the new one to play NSMBU.

Appleman

Thanks!

Classic Controller Pro definitely works with some Wii U games, just depends on whether the game supports it (just like the U Pro controller and the Wiimote/Nunchuk).

Black Ops 2 for Wii U definitely supports it, I only have NSMBU and NL so I can't speak for any other games.

mackattk

Classic Controller Pro definitely works with some Wii U games, just depends on whether the game supports it (just like the U Pro controller and the Wiimote/Nunchuk).

Black Ops 2 for Wii U definitely supports it, I only have NSMBU and NL so I can't speak for any other games.

Thanks, I will probably hold off buying it until enough games comes out to see if it warrants a purchase or not. Right now it seems like everything is kind of up in the air, and hopefully some form of standard will pop up.

Is there any "easy" way to get the screenshots from Miiverse out of the Miiverse and onto my computer?

I'm sure we are all waiting for the browser version to access that stuff wish they were full sized way to capture this stuff. Hoping for a new app that does this added to the OS in the future.

Bii

Just a heads up. Been packaging my Wii U up for sale on eBay (buyer's remorse) and noticed that the two included stand clips which hold the console on its side have left significant scratch marks on the console. This is despite being incredibly careful and gentle with it at all times.

Please just be very careful with those stand clips - I'd avoid using them at all in hindsight. That glossy black surface is extremely prone to scratches, marks and scuffs :(

Now you're going to make me check mine's when I get home. @_@

Anyone try the Turle Beach headphones for the Wii U(NLa, costs $35)?

I am looking for a headset that doesn't cost much, and that might turn the volume up on the gamepad.

My one complaint about the Wii U is that the volume isn't high enough, even with normal headphones plugged in.

G-Fex

Should be shorter than that now because the launch crazyness is over and Nintendo probably upgraded its servers. Dec. 25th will be a bitch, through.

True, I hope my store is still in stock, gonna get a Deluxe one so I can have enough storage for stuff.

I can't wait to buy some stuff off the VC so I can stream stuff impossible to buy in real life like Wild Guns SNES

flattie

If your TV supports it, then yes it can. I tried using my component cable on my Sony kdl40cx523 and it output fine in 1080p. I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference, being that component apparently supports full RGB, but I couldn't see anything between the two cable types - then again, I'm certainly no AV buff, so my word is pretty far from final.

netBuff

If your TV supports it, then yes it can. I tried using my component cable on my Sony kdl40cx523 and it output fine in 1080p. I wanted to see if there was a noticeable difference, being that component apparently supports full RGB, but I couldn't see anything between the two cable types - then again, I'm certainly no AV buff, so my word is pretty far from final.

I tried this myself as well: It may have been just the fact that my Wii component cable was of the ultra-cheap variety, but I did see quite a bit of colour ghosting using Component compared to HDMI (both at 1080p). So results may vary ;)

panda21

how do i get analog audio out from the wii av cable while having video over HDMI in Wii games?

I know you can't do it for wii u games but i read in multiple places that it should work for wii games.. I've searched all the settings and can't find anything, and just plugging in the cable doesnt seem to work.

zroid

Banned
This would probably sound strange to many, but in terms of features which compel me to play games on a certain platform, Activity Log is more important to me than Achievements. Vita having trophies doesn't do much for me, but its lack of an Activity Log I find extremely frustrating and pretty stupid on Sony's part.

It has an Activity Log. Not nearly as powerful and comprehensive as the 3DS one (yet), but at least much better than the Wii one.

I do wish there was some kind of an Activity Log that could've been implemented for Wii mode on the Wii U. Just started playing Xenoblade and considering it'll likely take me over 100 hrs to finish it would've been nice.

Speaking of which, Xenoblade does look a bit better on the Wii U. Not a spectacular difference, but it does look cleaner to me.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I do wish there was some kind of an Activity Log that could've been implemented for Wii mode on the Wii U. Just started playing Xenoblade and considering it'll likely take me over 100 hrs to finish it would've been nice.

Speaking of which, Xenoblade does look a bit better on the Wii U. Not a spectacular difference, but it does look cleaner to me.

Well there was always the Nintendo Channel, but I don't think you can download that for some reason.

axisofweevils

More tweets from @mcloister and @Chasing_Aurora in response to a potential Chasing Aurora US sale....

Currently Chasing Aurora is only on sale in Europe. We would have loved to done one in US too, but it wasn't yet possible…

we'd love to put @Chasing_Aurora on sale in the US as well, but we can't yet..

you'll have to ask @NintendoAmerica what the exact reasons are

Mardak

I was browsing Miiverse yesterday and there was a post by someone, just a normal post, but the Yeah button had a heart to the right of it.
The "Yeah" changes depending on the emotion from the original post (normal, confused, sad, wink, etc.). IIRC, there's Yeah! Yeah?! Yeah... Yeah♥ Yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom