• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I rented AC3...

I'm being bored to death.

Is there an actual game at some point, or just a bunch of movie clips and fetch quests?

I rented AC3...

Is there an actual game at some point, or just a bunch of movie clips and fetch quests?

The game stars after the 10-15 hour intro. A couple of hours after you get to play with the third playable character.

edit: no sure if I'm serious. But at the beginning of the game Boston feels so empty, that there's little point of exploring then...

DDayton

The game stars after the 10-15 hour intro. A couple of hours after you get to play with the third playable character.

edit: no sure if I'm serious. But at the beginning of the game Boston feels so empty, that there's little point of exploring then...
I'm on a ship. I seriously don't get the point of the game, unless it's yet another "dark edgy plot" games.

fernoca

I rented AC3...

Did you played the original ones?
The games starts kinda slow, but are quite big and varied. There's a ton of story too, so you might find it boring because of that (if you didn't played the previous entries).

I'm on a ship. I seriously don't get the point of the game, unless it's yet another "dark edgy plot" games.

It's bit like GTA. Different missions, exploring, plot that's not very good if you think about it, but funny and entertaining at places. But the game doesn't get very good until after a while.

it comes with a HDMI cable

My projector doesn't have HDMI audio output, though, so I gotta use an alternative.

I play my Wii U in 720p using my Wii component cables.

My TV doesn't do 1080p so I can't answer that part sorry but I suspect its fine?

Yup, that's fine, thank you kindly :)

To fully understand it you might have to play the first games, though.

DDayton

Did you played the original ones?
The games starts kinda slow, but are quite big and varied. There's a ton of story too, so you might find it boring because of that (if you didn't played the previous entries).
It's bit like GTA. Different missions, exploring, plot that's not very good if you think about it, but funny and entertaining at places. But the game doesn't get very good until after a while.
Never played the others, but this game seems to suffer from serious design issues - I put more than an hour into the game and got more silly movie sequences and fetch quests than gameplay. I think I'll give up and go rerent something with gameplay.

The multiplayer mode actually seems interesting, but I don't get how you're supposed to identify your target... unless there is a hidden cue I'm missing.

The game is full of elaborate scenes, but I don't understand the seeming lack of any gameplay...

DDayton

To fully understand it you might have to play the first games, though.
Oh, I get the plot of the game (blah blah, Knights Templar bad for some reason, secret league of assassins fights them over time, ancient tech and lost race, modern day folks somehow relive past experiences of ancestors in giant simulation in order to save world/etc.) ... I don't get why the game is supposed to be fun and got so many accolades.

I mean, Skyward Sword had nothing on this...

Eusis

I play my Wii U in 720p using my Wii component cables.

My TV doesn't do 1080p so I can't answer that part sorry but I suspect its fine?
Don't need a TV that doesn't do 1080p to answer that: the system lets you select it over component manually and it'll send a messed up signal to a 720p, non-1080p TV like mine (though I guess newer ones might scale down?), though I believe some TVs reject a 1080p signal over component. Don't think the PS3 allows a 1080p signal over component at all too.

I haven't played the first two either, but I'm still enjoying the third one. It doesn't seem like a rental game, because you have to put so much time to it before the game really starts. It's definitely a design problem, but not a fatal one. And Zelda is obviously much more polished game, AC3 has a lot of things just thrown together, and it barely works at places. But when it works it's pretty good.

DDayton

It doesn't seem like a rental game, because you have to put so much time to it before the game really starts. It's definitely a design problem, but not a fatal one.
I mean, maybe the game becomes FUN at some point, but I don't understand why they'd make you trudge through so much "look at our serious story" before that happens. I just don't feel like doing that when I can swap it and finish ZombiU (which actually has gameplay) or try out the Wii U Black Ops or something else.

Batman was fun, although clunky and a bit slow to begin with. ZombiU was very good. Nintendoland was good (although odd), and NSMBU was good as well.

AC3 just seems like an experience in tedium.

And Zelda is obviously much more polished game, AC3 has a lot of things just thrown together, and it barely works at places. But when it works it's pretty good.
It's odd just how "polished" the game works while they still make such a stupid opening design sequence.

jackal27

Banned
Finally bought one of these things yesterday and I've really been enjoying it aside from those really long couple of updates. I wish there were more games I cared about right now, but I know that they'll come.

Nintendoland is freakin FUN. I really didn't care about it from what I had seen, but my wife and I have been having a blast with it. I also picked up Sega All Stars Racing and Trine 2.

Right now I am trying to decide if I should transfer my Wii data or not... I just don't know...

ID is jackal27 if you wanna be bros!

jackal27

Banned
What do you get from transferring your data? All the games you downloaded?

All your save data and games go to your Wii U, but you can never move them back to your Wii. It's way more convenient for me and Wii games ever so slightly better coming through that HDMI cable, but I'm worried about never being able to use Gamecube controllers again and whether or not my Virtual Console games will be forced to be stretched out into widescreen because of my TV.....

nickcv

what?
and people complain about Zelda long tutorials

nofi

Confirmation of the two eShop titles going on sale, as per rumours earlier in the thread - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/12/18/nintendo-confirm-wii-u-eshop-sale-this-week/

Broken Rules’ Chasing Aurora and Tomorrow Corporation’s Little Inferno will both see substantial sales on the Wii U eShop this week, with the former down to £5.39 (half price) and the fire burning sim £8.39 (from £13).

These appear to be just for the European eShop, with the US version not offering the same discounts.

The deals are valid until the 3rd of January and the 4th of January respectively, with the current discount for Trine 2 expiring at around the same time. If you’ve just got a Wii U and are looking for three solid downloadable games, perhaps now is the time.

The deals will kick in this Thursday.

what?
and people complain about Zelda long tutorials

It's for dramatic purposes, but yeah, the beginning of the game was way too long and slow.

edit: the game looks a lot better if you select optimize HUD for Wii U, or something similar, from the options. And plays better too, the mini-map that was in the tv HUD was next to useless compared to the controller map.

EDarkness

So Toki Tori 2 will launch in 2 days' time. (20/12)

Anyone else planning on picking it up? I am. It seems like Trine 2, the devs really put a lot of effort into this - even cancelling the Steam version until the new year so they could focus on the Wii U.

I thought that got pushed back to next year...?

Effect

I couldn't believe how long the opening for AC3 was when I watched it. Granted you are still doing things and progressing the story. However I don't want to see people complain about Zelda anymore if they're okay or tolerate what was done in AC3.

mackattk

Another quick question. The digital deluxe program, do I get points back on when I use a 3ds/wii u points card? Would be nice to buy the Wii U points through best buy or another affiliate with ShopDiscover, to get additional cash back, along with the 10% refund through the digital deluxe program.

Bii

Another quick question. The digital deluxe program, do I get points back on when I use a 3ds/wii u points card? Would be nice to buy the Wii U points through best buy or another affiliate with ShopDiscover, to get additional cash back, along with the 10% refund through the digital deluxe program.

Yes, you can get points from it. I bought a $20 Wii U/3DS points card and redeemed it on the Wii U eShop. I then bought Nano Assault Neo for $9.99 and got 99 points credited to my account the day after.

dwu8991

Banned
I couldn't believe how long the opening for AC3 was when I watched it. Granted you are still doing things and progressing the story. However I don't want to see people complain about Zelda anymore if they're okay or tolerate what was done in AC3.

AC3 pads out the game but gets away with it because it is perceived as cool and the structure is less rigid than Zelda. Of course any Zelda fan can immediately see AC is more GTA than an action RPG game.

jmoe316

So we are less 2 weeks away from January and no formal release date for TVii has been announced. If we don't hear anything by the end of the week, we are probably looking into January now.

Any news on TVii? Maybe a Christmas day surprise like SMB for the Wii on it's first Christmas.

JaseMath

All your save data and games go to your Wii U, but you can never move them back to your Wii. It's way more convenient for me and Wii games ever so slightly better coming through that HDMI cable, but I'm worried about never being able to use Gamecube controllers again and whether or not my Virtual Console games will be forced to be stretched out into widescreen because of my TV.....[/QUOTE]
Can't you just manually switch over your television's aspect ratio to 4:3?

Beats

so, did any of you guys actually managed to have miiverse at the top of your activity log?

Yes, during the first week or so I spent a bunch of time looking at posts and creating/drawing my own. I barely played any of the games I bought lol.

so how was it?

Seconded.

HARD my hand hurt from mashing buttons for 9 hours today and 11 yesterday
Found a few glitches that made me have to reload my last save point.
Stupid story, crazy world. Creepy stupid enemy designs. Shake your gamepad during cutscenes and boobs jiggle seems to work for any female in the cutscene with cleavage, just move your gamepad... SHM

Ayane is so much more fun to control.

Otherwise the whole thing was fun as hell felt like a badass. This was my first 3D Ninja Gaiden so played on hero and yes I found that a pain in the ass... normal is worst but I am doing better on normal after beating the game on hero. Still painfully hard lol

Ultimate Ninja must need crazy skills. Will keep playing until I can unlock everything but need to move on to another game since my hands are tired.

score: 7.5

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Stupid story, crazy world. Creepy stupid enemy designs. Shake your gamepad during cutscenes and boobs jiggle seems to work for any female in the cutscene with cleavage, just move your gamepad... SHM

Otherwise the whole thing was fun as hell felt like a badass. This was my first 3D Ninja Gaiden so played on hero and yes I found that a pain in the ass... normal is worst but I am doing better on normal after beating the game on hero. Still painfully hard lol

Ultimate Ninja must need crazy skills. Will keep playing until I can unlock everything but need to move on to another game since my hands are tired.

Can you play as Ayane through the whole game?
Might pick this up when it comes here.

sensui-tomo

so i just got scribblenauts, sonic racing and batman arkham city(not the same game) for $80, did i do good (i've played a scribblenauts before, i like sonic racing competitively compared to MK series and have buddies to play with, and i never played batman AC)

nickcv

mmm... i think i'll pass on this one
thanks for the small review!

playing AC3. enjoyed AC2. not having fun at all so far.

that's ok, seems like you are not supposed to have fun for the first 14 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom