• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

braves01

Banned
playing AC3. enjoyed AC2. not having fun at all so far.

Kinda glad I didn't pick that up based on impressions, despite liking AC2. Unfortunately, the public didn't seem to get the memo because its sales are crazy good so we'll probably be seeing more stuff like AC3 for the next few years.

nickcv

this game takes time... not sure if I'll have fun with it, it seems to be a waste of a vast world but I have so many hours invested in it already might as well explore it some more when I am bored.

Kinda glad I didn't pick that up based on impressions, despite liking AC2. Unfortunately, the public didn't seem to get the memo because its sales are crazy good so we'll probably be seeing more stuff like AC3 for the next few years.

i'm definitely going to wait a lot before buying this one... 20€ tops

As I said before, I haven't played the first two, but I'm really enjoying the third one, despite the shortcomings. Maybe the Wii U version really is better than the other console versions, the better map and controls might help a lot. Some of the "GTA" missions are more fun than GTA because the controls are slightly better, and some of the "MGS" missions are better than MGS, because the environments are a bit more interesting. Some of the missions are a bit too random for my liking, and I usually haven't bothered replaying the missions to get 100% syncronation.

And one of the things I don't fully get are the fighting controls. Sometimes I can button smash and quickly kill 10 enemies that are surrounding me, but sometimes they overrun me surprisingly easily, even when I'm trying to time the attacks correctly.

Taking over the forts has been pretty fun, but looks like I only have one left in the game. And I even enjoyed the naval missions I have done. I'd like to see the old Pirates! game redone with this gameplay engine. The sea battles look great, especially consering it's not really a major part of the game.

If I'd have to give this game a review, I'd give it 9 out of 10, if it can keep me interested till the end. If not, maybe an 8, but let's see.

Chatin

Any word on the YouTube situation? Tried watching some stuff the other day using the app and it was unbearably slow and full of buffering. Playing stuff in the browser had worked great up until the site update.

NeoRausch

Any word on the YouTube situation? Tried watching some stuff the other day using the app and it was unbearably slow and full of buffering. Playing stuff in the browser had worked great up until the site update.

Seems to be still the same. i use the "embed"-trick that cheesemeister posted. it's a bit of a hassle but it works at least.

Mr. Robot

This thread really slowed down
I hope it's because everyone is playing with their Wii U :p

Maybe, i got one on saturday along with NSMB-U and Nintendoland and spent the night checking out the features, tried to play some karaoke songs on youtube through the web browser, but youtube didn't seem to work, then tried the youtube app and the wii-u hard locked after playing a few videos, it hasn't not done it again since that.
On sunday i returned NSMB-U to target just to re-buy it and get in the buy 2 get 1 free promo, got Zombie-U and Blops 2, then my girlfriend came over and we spent the day playing Nintendoland, i thought that the multi attractions couldn't be fun with only 2 players but i was so wrong, she loved DK crash course and Pikmin adventure, all in all i'm very happy with my new acquisition, have not had much time to play since yesterday because of work, but i can't wait for the weekend when my family comes over for the holidays.

Madouu

I launched the wii u browser earlier on today, and my mii said in a little speech bubble "Don't know what to eat for dinner? how about you look up some recipes online". Pretty nice little detail.

I launched the wii u browser earlier on today, and my mii said in a little speech bubble "Don't know what to eat for dinner? how about you look up some recipes online". Pretty nice little detail.

Mine did the same thing. Nintendo must have updated their servers recently...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Apropos, is my search fu so weak today or are the Nintendoland tunes really *not* on youtube yet?

Fess

Almost scary, I still haven't touched any other gaming device since the EU launch Nov 30, and I think I've played something almost every day. WiiU is taking over completely.

Pikma

Banned
Almost scary, I still haven't touched any other gaming device since the EU launch Nov 30, and I think I've played something almost every day. WiiU is taking over completely.
It is, I've been playing BLOPS II (loving the MP, hating the script-a-ton of campaign, it's horrible) and Zombi (it's superb! been enjoying the story, surprisingly) non-stop since release day, awesome launch for, now I just need Rayman and Monster Hunter :)

hodgy100

So who's idea was it in Mario U to say "yeah lets not let them to use the gamepad as another player in multiplayer" seriously worst decision ever!

OctoWara289

Neo Member
Seems to be still the same. i use the "embed"-trick that cheesemeister posted. it's a bit of a hassle but it works at least.

It's annoying that we have to do this, but what's more annoying is dealing with the YouTube app which I completely refuse to use at this point. If they could make it worse, they'd fail. I'm glad we actually have people smart enough to find a way around this ridiculousness. I've also found that if you put "watch_popup?", I think that's what it was, it works right away as well. And it's not that much of a hassle. Anything is better than dealing with that useless app.

Effect

Going to try and grab a copy of Batman after work today. Target has it priced for $39.99 and I've yet to play the game. Enjoyed Arkham Asylum on the PS3 and this is even larger in scale. I know the core story isn't suppose to be super long. I just hope there really is enough side missions to last a long time. I didn't really care to do the challenge mode in Asylum all that much.

If I'd have to give this game a review, I'd give it 9 out of 10, if it can keep me interested till the end. If not, maybe an 8, but let's see.

AC3 is my first AC game as well. I'm going to give a it another couple of sequences but for whatever reason the story pacing has been rather bothersome. Trying to give it a fair shot though.

Lately, though, I've been playing Mass Effect 3. Figured I'd just play through the Wii U version to see what the ending fuss is all about. So far I'm actually enjoying the game. If I like the whole thing well enough then I might go and get the 360 or PS3 trilogy, assuming the first two aren't ever coming to Wii U in any capacity.

the only thing I find strange with AC3 is that I know where to go for my next story mission but when I want to avoid that and explore I feel there is not much I really want to go do in the world maybe I'll get into it soon enough

Effect

How are the side missions handled in AC3? Are there are certain number per chapter or sequence? Or just a certain number overall that you can do at any time (with one quest possibly leading to another) and it doesn't matter what chapter you are in at that point in the game? So a side quest stays the same with the only change being you are in the winter or spring depending at what point you are in the story?

Hoodbury

This is my first AC game and so I still don't fully understand what I'm doing and all of my options some of the time, but I am enjoying it. I just met Achilles and went to Boston with him so I'm not very far into it yet.

The open world between missions is fun and beautiful to explore. Just killing redcoats in Boston was fun to do as well and I seemed to do a lot of it, heh.

I'm enjoying it and would recommend it. It's definitely a slower pace so if you can get your mindset on that then everything seems fine. It's hard for me to do that since I'm ping ponging back and forth between this and Blops. But once I can get my mind and mood to slow down and smell the roses I really enjoy the game.

I do feel like I'm missing out on a lot though, but I'm sure I'll figure out some of the stuff as I play more.

Bought Trine 2 for 360 ( didn't finish it tbh, but spend quite a few hours with the game ). Is the Wii U version worth buying? Love to hear some impressions on playing this on the Gamepad

Bought Trine 2 for 360 ( didn't finish it tbh, but spend quite a few hours with the game ). Is the Wii U version worth buying? Love to hear some impressions on playing this on the Gamepad

Director's Cut has a full DLC and some exclusives in there
using the stylus with the Wizard is very nice, off-tv play is great.

few more upgrades to come soon, best selling eShop title I would say it is well worth it

blu

It's superb. Wizard can actually draw his boxes for a change. And if off-screen play was not enough, local multi is just amazing. And I'm not even mentioning the inclusion of the bonus DLC most people (yours truly included) have not reached to play yet ; )

random edit: huh? I just saw two miis performing something that could best be described as french kissing in my NL plaza o_O

Director's Cut has a full DLC and some exclusives in there
using the stylus with the Wizard is very nice, off-tv play is great.

few more upgrades to come soon, best selling eShop title I would say it is well worth it

It's superb. Wizard can actually draw his boxes for a change. And if off-screen play was not enough, local multi is just amazing. And I'm not even mentioning the inclusion of the bonus DLC most people (yours truly included) have not reached to play yet ; )

random edit: huh? I just saw two miis performing something that could best be described as french kissing in my NL plaza o_O

Thanks guys :D
Gonna buy it asap!

What are the jungle drums saying about this?

I have two Wiis: my original Wii which has VC and Wiiware games on it and my 'homebrew' Wii which has all my disc games on it via USB hard drive.

I am considering transferring the VC, Wiiware and saves from the former to my Wii U and then disposing of my original Wii as I will no longer need it.

Thoughts?

P.S. Apologies if this has been gone over to death already ITT but I've been too ill to keep up with things recently.

stuminus3

My Wii U freaked the hell out of me and the wife last night... I started it up and got the user account screen and got some kind of loud screechy static sound that was TERRIFYING from the TV speakers. Like seriously the most horrific bone-chilling sound I'd ever heard. It hadn't hard locked or anything, the OS was working fine, just... that horrible noise. I turned the system off then back on again and got the regular soothing Wii U menu sounds. What the hell was up with that? I've never had a console do that.

zroid

Banned
My Wii U freaked the hell out of me and the wife last night... I started it up and got the user account screen and got some kind of loud screechy static sound that was TERRIFYING from the TV speakers. Like seriously the most horrific bone-chilling sound I'd ever heard. It hadn't hard locked or anything, the OS was working fine, just... that horrible noise. I turned the system off then back on again and got the regular soothing Wii U menu sounds. What the hell was up with that? I've never had a console do that.

That happened to me once on the Wii U, it was during the second of three hard locks I've had. It also happens (sometimes) when my PC locks up.

Surprised to hear it WASN'T a hard lock for you, that's something I've never experienced.

blu

Say what?
I'm not kidding. I was in 1st person mode looking at an animatronic when I turned around and saw these two miis next to me, standing very close to each other as if hugging. They were not static though - their heads moved, and those were the typical head motions of a french kiss. That lasted for a sec or two. Then they stopped, stepped back, stood still awkwardly for another sec and then split in their own ways. Needless to say I was baffled. It felt as if I had interrupted actual people : )

Fess

What are the jungle drums saying about this?

I have two Wiis: my original Wii which has VC and Wiiware games on it and my 'homebrew' Wii which has all my disc games on it via USB hard drive.

I am considering transferring the VC, Wiiware and saves from the former to my Wii U and then disposing of my original Wii as I will no longer need it.

Thoughts?

P.S. Apologies if this has been gone over to death already ITT but I've been too ill to keep up with things recently.
Thoughts. It works. We did the same thing, two Wii transfered to one WiiU. Just remember that the saves transfered from Wii1 will be deleted when you transfer saves from the same game from Wii2.

Raoh

Anyone else getting a crackling noise from the gamepad speakers? For me primarily from the right speaker.

I'm about to return this and get it swapped out.

blu

Damned...Euro-land here :D
Maybe EU will get an discount too...I guess that's what Frozenbyte is talking about?
Trine2 already has a discount in EU - it's through the end of the month. Joel is talking about the potential NTSC discount.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Probably old, but the jokes write themselves.

IGN said:
7000 Wii U Consoles Stolen in Airport Robbery

Adventurous thieves nick $2m worth of new Wii U consoles from Seattle airport.

by Keza MacDonald

December 19, 2012

Adventurous thieves have stolen around 7000 Wii U consoles worth around $2m from SeaTac airport in Seattle, USA.

ABC News quotes Sgt. Cindy West, who says " I’ve been a cop for 28 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this. This has come straight out of the movies.” The thieves broke into an air cargo warehouse and made off with 7000 Premium and Basic Wii U bundles worth a total of $2.28million according to Eurogamer's calculation.

The robbers loaded the consoles onto trucks using the warehouse's forklifts sometime between 9pm on Saturday night and noon on Sunday and made off with them. They are expected to have ditched those trucks later on, but the Wii U consoles have yet to surface. Unless the robbers have extremely large families to cater to with Christmas gifts, police expect to see them for sale online.

“If we don’t get any tips ahead of time, it will be the selling of these consoles that will lead to their capture. It’s gonna be pretty hard to hide 7,000 Wii game consoles,” says Sgt West.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
After a long play session with Black Ops 2, I've noticed that the left analog stick on the Gamepad feels "mushier" than usual and doesn't feel as responsive. (due to the fact that I've using the "click" function of the stick to run alot) . Anyone else have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom