• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

As a user I'm excited to see the new stuff in the morning, but the concerns about phone are valid because I don't think it's a fault of the OS. 8.1 is a good phone OS, so I'm not sure there's going to be stuff for Win 10 on phones that's going to drive sales in some way that they haven't so far. Poor device strategy and a failure to get the app ecosystem beyond "it's improving...slowly" has really hampered them.

I get that they needed to get into low-mid end market with the 8.0 GDRs and those devices, and they made some solid inroads, but the high-end strategy has been basically nonexistent for a while now. If someone is thinking about a WP on one of the major US carriers wanting/expecting high end, there almost isn't anything for them (the 1520 and Icon may or may not be in the process of being phased out of by their respective carriers leaving only the M8 as a for sure available device).

kharma45

I should of ordered a one+ while I had the chance yesterday :(

If it means anything, I wasn't that fond of mine whilst I had it. Battery wasn't all it was hyped up to be, mine creaked around the USB port, finish was rubbing off and software issues galore. Plus I had the infamous yellow band, oh and their customer service is abysmal.

Fuck this news about Chase. The app is the main reason I chose them. I'm still bitter about American pulling their app (the day before I got my 830), why would you pull a fully functional app from the store?

Microsoft needs to wake up. It's not just about getting new apps in the store, but about keeping them there, and hopefully updated.

I don't care about Candy Crush, I do care about banking and airline apps.
What's stupid about hearing this is that it doesn't even cost them a cent to keep it in the store even if they stop working on it. Once they have the development account and paid the initial amount, they have it for life. They could at least keep the app in the store until it no longer functions (although still dickish, its less so to still be able to get it)

Raide

Correct, only 800 and newer chips have additional hardware for low power hands free voice features.

Thank for that. I do love my 620 but I am still trying to choose if I upgrade to get a better camera. Might see is MS show off anything new soon.

PG2G

Mary Jo already said the preview is coming on February so let's not go in with the expectation of it rolling out today

So what thread are we trolling for the windows 10 reveal?

I say we split our forces. Gaming needs the least trolling from us, they're already taking care of it. The thread in OT could definitely use some, it should drive that crazy OP nuts! I'll keep trolling this thread here.

Alright and get ready. 8? Nein, 10! Go!

Ape

Banned
I say we split our forces. Gaming needs the least trolling from us, they're already taking care of it. The thread in OT could definitely use some, it should drive that crazy OP nuts! I'll keep trolling this thread here.

Alright and get ready. 8? Nein, 10! Go!

19g2zgshh3l60gif.gif

I see you've perfected the punctuation on that. That's how it should look.

Like I said, I liked your attempt, but it didn't feel quite right at that time. Now watch it never to be used. :lol

In other news, The Verge just got a bit better as David Pierce left the site for Wired.com. Maybe their reviews are going to be less predictable from now on.

Magni

What's stupid about hearing this is that it doesn't even cost them a cent to keep it in the store even if they stop working on it. Once they have the development account and paid the initial amount, they have it for life. They could at least keep the app in the store until it no longer functions (although still dickish, its less so to still be able to get it)

They either want more money from MS, ore are scared about leaving an unmaintained app in the store (banks are paranoid about security and "new" tech), or both.

Heretic

So excited to see what new high end phones they reveal!!!

somebody stop me :(

Also, Phil is hyping up the ending of the conference. Game announcement for sure.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
In other news, The Verge just got a bit better as David Pierce left the site for Wired.com. Maybe their reviews are going to be less predictable from now on.

Wow, wired is such a fantastic fit for him. I removed them from my feed a year or so ago because of their Apple bias, though every once in a while they have good articles. David is perfect for that place, and I mean that sincerely.

Ape

Banned
Wow, wired is such a fantastic fit for him. I removed them from my feed a year or so ago because of their Apple bias, though every once in a while they have good articles. David is perfect for that place, and I mean that sincerely.

Mark my words, he will eventually work at apple.

Pooya

So excited to see what new high end phones they reveal!!!

somebody stop me :(

Also, Phil is hyping up the ending of the conference. Game announcement for sure.

I'm sure he will announce the release date for Halo, simultaneous release for xbox and PC, progress syncs across all platforms, cross buy.
Spartan Strike that is

That thread on gaming side gonna blow up like a volcano.

stktt

Banned
The vertical scrolling looks great, but I hope there's a way to hide the taskbar and recent application list from the start screen entirely.

Top Bottom