• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Windows 10 is the last big consumer release. At least that's what I'm taking away from the blog post.

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking “What version are you on?” will cease to make sense – which is great news for our Windows developers. With universal Windows apps that work across the entire device family, developers can build one app that targets the broadest range of devices – including the PC, tablet, phone, Xbox, the Internet of Things, and more.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

Yeah, Myerson heavily hinted at MWC.

Also was telling that both he and Nadella mentioned new flagship phones were coming.

They know they fucked up.

It's almost as if they didn't understand technology and/or were moany half wits.
Based on the fact that they dont appreciate the Wii U gamepad's streaming tech at all, I'm not surprised.

NeOak

Windows 10 is the last big consumer release. At least that's what I'm taking away from the blog post.

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking “What version are you on?” will cease to make sense – which is great news for our Windows developers. With universal Windows apps that work across the entire device family, developers can build one app that targets the broadest range of devices – including the PC, tablet, phone, Xbox, the Internet of Things, and more.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

Windows 10 GDR1
Windows 10 GDR2
Windows 10 GDR3
Windows 10.1
Windows 10.1 Update 1
Windows 10.1 Update 2

etc

hadareud

The Translator

Yeah, sounds like they are doing away with new releases.

OS as a service for companies, free for consumers (after initially buying it).

sup guys, did I miss anything?

rKeEqTx.gif

I just noticed they didn't demoed interactive live tiles.

Are they still have some events to talk about initial consumer side features, or should I just wait for them to come in a future update?

f0lken

To me one of the biggest announcements was the return to multiple messaging services on the message app, I cannot wait for the Seahawks to win!!

Holy shit! That is a welcome surprise about a future Surface 2 upgrade to 10.

MS going all-in with 10!
So will there still be ARM based 10" tablets? If they're calling everything Windows 10, wouldn't it be confusing for some buyers who buy a 10 inch "Windows" tablet that can't run their legacy apps?

hwalker84

So will there still be ARM based 10" tablets? If they're calling everything Windows 10, wouldn't it be confusing for some buyers who buy a 10 inch "Windows" tablet that can't run their legacy apps?

I get the feeling they forgot about Windows RT. The answer that came after the event sounded like "ummm we're working on a solution" aka "oh shit what is that?"

Crazy to think that MS would shut Qualcomm out of the 10+" Windows 10 tablet market but then again it's probably more crazy if MS allowed ARM large screen tablets to the market and continued with the RT confusion.

I need a Windows tablet to get an impression of the Windows 10 tablet UI. From what I've seen I'm absolutely not convinced they changed it for the better. Seeing the taskbar all the time as it looks right now is awful. Get that damn Surface Mini out, for Christ's sake.

Not a fan of W10 on phones either.

Pooya

Crazy to think that MS would shut Qualcomm out of the 10+" Windows 10 tablet market but then again it's probably more crazy if MS allowed ARM large screen tablets to the market and continued with the RT confusion.

with the way intel has been dropping their prices and getting performance/efficiency up there is no place for win on ARM, it only adds confusion and sour experiences :p

hadareud

The Translator
I need a Windows tablet to get an impression of the Windows 10 tablet UI. From what I've seen I'm absolutely not convinced they changed it for the better. Seeing the taskbar all the time as it looks right now is awful. Get that damn Surface Mini out, for Christ's sake.

Surely you can disable the Taskbar. Also, I wouldn't expect that everything will look as it currently does in the actual release, it's still half a year until release and if they are serious about the Insider program, there's bound to be changes once people start using it on tablets.

I'll give it a go on my SP3 once the new release hits, I was waiting for Continuum before trying it.

What don't you like about the phone version? They've not showed a lot of it so far (apart from the start screen, the settings and the new universal apps, which seem to be a big upgrade on what we had so far.

Nero3000

Surely you can disable the Taskbar. Also, I wouldn't expect that everything will look as it currently does in the actual release, it's still half a year until release and if they are serious about the Insider program, there's bound to be changes once people start using it on tablets.

I'll give it a go on my SP3 once the new release hits, I was waiting for Continuum before trying it.

What don't you like about the phone version? They've not showed a lot of it so far (apart from the start screen, the settings and the new universal apps, which seem to be a big upgrade on what we had so far.

Its stepping back a little from the original design philosphy. The pivots in mail, menu buttons on the top, address bar on the top etc.

Blackhead

Redarse

hadareud

The Translator
Its stepping back a little from the original design philosphy. The pivots in mail, menu buttons on the top, address bar on the top etc.

Yes that's true, but then the original design is quite old now and needs refreshing. I definitely prefer the look of the new mail app to the original one, for instance. Not to mention the added functionality.

The start screen takes some getting used to, but I would be surprised if you couldn't make it look exactly the way it looks now.

it's no longer a phone os. it's a companion os.

I'm really not sure what that means. Surely a more unified approach is positive. Why would you have icons that look completely different and a settings menu that looks completely different. The whole point of Windows 10 is that you get a similar experience across devices.

I'd say that Windows took more cues from Windows Phone than the other way around, too.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The keyboard for Windows 10 on Phone has a virtual precision pointing stick

Google keyboard has swiping but no cursor control nor cut/copy/paste
Apple keyboard has... well fuck all. (the iphone 6+ has copy/paste and broken basic curson control in landscape mode)

And now Windows Phone will have Swiping and Cursor control. Nice! Will Windows 10 allow third party keyboards too?

What's the best/ best value Windows Phone to buy right now?

Good lord, I hope the tablet version uses the same keyboard.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
SP3 is too big for me, specially in tablet mode. Given the latest announcements, I feel it's about time Microsoft stops futzing around and releases an x86 Surface mini with a keyyboard case. Either that or a smaller Surface 4.

SP3 is too big for me, specially in tablet mode. Given the latest announcements, I feel it's about time Microsoft stops futzing around and releases an x86 Surface mini with a keyyboard case. Either that or a smaller Surface 4.

Well, yeah. Since the Courier I've been in love with the idea of a digital note taking device and what's great is that the technology current technology would definitely make it possible to produce a device like that. And with the clearly insane leadership at Microsoft, I wouldn't put it past them to release such a device eventually.

But until then, yes. A Surface Mini would do.

That, or a Dell Venue 8 7000 with Windows and a good pen.
Look at it! http://www.wsj.com/articles/dell-venue-8-7000-review-a-thin-tablet-with-real-depth-1420567257

For phones, I'll take Cortana on Android, so I can replace Google Now. That's all I want.

ana

now all MS has to do is release a successor to the 1020...
After my 920 broke I bought a Moto G and I have noticed that the camera is the most important feature for me.. Couldn't care less about apps..

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Pen support is an absolute must for me. It hurts me to see how Windows Mobile, as crummy as it was, had excellent (for the time) stylus support, yet Windows Phone keeps trying to seduce the enterprise market without a Galaxy Note competitor.

Does MS even look at the devices used by professionals? Because the Galaxy Note series is wildly popular among journos, creative types and even suits. As a matter of fact, I know a good number of reporters who have dropped their iPhones in favour of a Note. TouchWiz is SHITE and Samsung's stylus apps are bloated and unintuitive as fuck, but the pen is really nice and it caters a crowd with very concise needs that nobody else is pursuing.

I want a proper successor to the 920 more than anything and I actually need a below-Ultrabook kind of device (I have a Dell Venue Pro 7... don't make me talk about that junk), but Microsoft would absolutely tie me to Windows 10 if it could release a proper Galaxy Note competitor. I mean, come on, OneNote is just ripe for it after the latest update.

now all MS has to do is release a successor to the 1020...
After my 920 broke I bought a Moto G and I have noticed that the camera is the most important feature for me.. Couldn't care less about apps..
I've tried to switch to Android a couple of times and I always return to my 920. No other phone offers Qi charging, excellent readability under sunlight and a good camera in a single device, particularly one that still feels so damn nice.

KageMaru

While that keyboard feature is nice, I hope they fix how the caret is manipulated with your finger because it's absolutely horrendous in 8.1.

I'm really not sure what that means. Surely a more unified approach is positive. Why would you have icons that look completely different and a settings menu that looks completely different. The whole point of Windows 10 is that you get a similar experience across devices.

I'd say that Windows took more cues from Windows Phone than the other way around, too.

Unification can be a great thing, especially when it comes to tools or APIs. However this isn't always the case for a GUI. What may work great on a 10-12" screen using two hands may not work on a 5" device used with one hand. I'm sure MS knows this so hopefully this won't be an issue on the final release.

I'm less concerned about the mail app considering how bad the calendar app looked. The calendar in 8.1 is great while what we've seen of the W10 app looks like garbage on phones.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah the calendar looked rough. But then, there's still a good amount of time to tailor its looks to the smaller screen.

All in all they didn't seem to alter the UI of Windows Phone too much as far as I can tell, though.

edit:

wrong tweet,nm

There is one thing I am concerned about with the whole Windows 10 thing. All devices are getting Windows 10, but argubbly only WIndows Phone has an ecosystem worth a damn considering it has most of the apps. Are we going to update to W10 Mobile and lose access to all of these apps, or will it support Phone apps.

hadareud

The Translator

brotkasten
"A bitter, cynical, safe moist as dude"

Top Bottom