• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The final installment in my How Microsoft can save Xbox games for Windows Phone is finally live!

Does Microsoft have the will to bring its Xbox gaming franchises to Windows Phone?

The article also has a video interview in which we ask Microsoft several tough questions about the subjects addressed in the editorial series. Please don't miss it and don't forget to comment and tweet!

It's a good article and I really appreciate the effort, but I can't remember the last time I've seen two PR guys not giving a shit like that. Crazy.

frontieruk

Didn't see this posted.

Waze is coming to Windows Phone in June.

It's a navigation app that crows sources the traffic conditions. Really good for rush hour.

2WlvGps.jpg

Not surprising http://m.wpcentral.com/microsoft-invested-millions-gps-social-network-waze

hadareud

The Translator
Tapatalk is coming too.

They've acquired the dev that did Foroplex and he'll do the official version.

I beta tested that app, so really it's me you have to thank for it.

eastx

It's a good article and I really appreciate the effort, but I can't remember the last time I've seen two PR guys not giving a shit like that. Crazy.

Thanks man! That's Microsoft for you. Their culture of secrecy makes it super hard to get any useful information from their PR staff.

Thanks man! That's Microsoft for you. Their culture of secrecy makes it super hard to get any useful information from their PR staff.

Believe me, I know. Unless you really know some people, you won't get much info. And even then they've been really tight lipped these days.

Firestorm

So two weeks in Japan have made me fucking hate Bing Maps. Couldn't find shit. My phone was useless and had to rely on my friends with Androids and Google Maps -.-

JaggedSac

That reminds me, I was in Paris this past week and my wife's 920 was incredibly useful over there. The offline Drive maps(we got a very small data plan and downloaded the map over wifi) and Nokia Transit were extremely useful. The transit system there is extremely simple, but at the beginning we used the app.

maeh2k

Nice try, but the 512 MB RAM wouldn't be that problematic, if some apps wouldn't refuse to launch because of it.

There aren't that many that need 1GB. I believe even Asphalt has by now been updated for 512 MB and that's one of the more demanding games. Most smartphone users just don't need those demanding apps and would never notice the limitations.

hadareud

The Translator
Nice try, but the 512 MB RAM wouldn't be that problematic, if some apps wouldn't refuse to launch because of it.

I was just joking.

I think the specs are fine, but the phone is simply too expensive for what it is.

That said, 1 gb surely wouldn't have hurt them.

There aren't that many that need 1GB. I believe even Asphalt has by now been updated for 512 MB and that's one of the more demanding games. Most smartphone users just don't need those demanding apps and would never notice the limitations.

This is a poor excuse for a phone at that price point. Some people like to keep their phones for more than just a year. btw, I wonder how the people with 256 MB devices feel about this.

Don't worry about that, commenter at The Verge got you covered.

"Still waiting for Pocket, YouTube, a Foursquare update, and, of course, Instagram."

Blueprints was fine, but completely gimped in terms of following new people, so I'm pretty much ecstatic that the official tumblr app is out.

Personally I'm not waiting for any of those. I think the only things Ng left that I'm waiting for is Path, but the devs said they have a version coming.

MCD

Instagram registered as a developer in the Windows Phone Store

Instagram may have registered on the Windows Phone Developer site.

Regular reader Arbnor has been checking regularly on the Windows Phone dev site if the Instagram name is available, and recently noticed that the name has already been taken.

Of course the Windows Phone store allows developers to use any name, meaning some developer may have taken the Instagram moniker. However a search of apps by the developer does not turn up anything, suggesting something may be afoot.

The app’s arrival on Windows Phone has been rumoured for some time, and even stated as fact by some Nokia representatives. Today we may be seeing the first real evidence.

Thanks Arbnor for the tip.

Maybe happening.

Bullza2o

I found out recently that my aunt has a lumia 920. During my very brief talk with her she said she didn't like it, with the most annoying was "it doesn't have many apps" and a problem with IE10 that if you go to the desktop Yahoo.com and click a news, it will redirect to the mobile Yahoo.com main page instead of the article.

The conversation was really short (it was at a party). I only had the chance to say that WP8 integrates all of the social things, and I made the browser go to desktop mode on default. She said she never updated the phone as well (so must be the stock firmware from November).

I guess all this negativity stems from not knowing what the device really is, both hardware and the OS.

On a side note, how many people use flash on their Lumia 920? I rarely use mine and I'm wondering if there is a need to do so despite the awesome low-light processing.

MCD

Same thing with my mom. Thing is, people and generally older folks, are more influenced by their families and friends so it really hurts when she is the only one with a WP.

Everyone around here keeps telling her about that Instagram app or that Fun Run game and how they must be on all phones by default. They don't know what's Android or what's WP. It's a smart phone so it must have everything they want.

tl;dr just more trouble for my ass.

That reminds me, I was in Paris this past week and my wife's 920 was incredibly useful over there. The offline Drive maps(we got a very small data plan and downloaded the map over wifi) and Nokia Transit were extremely useful. The transit system there is extremely simple, but at the beginning we used the app.

Same here. I was in London with my sister who has a Galaxy S II. And yet, my 820 was our go-to navigator. The HERE suite and the downloadable maps are extremely useful.

Bullza2o

Same thing with my mom. Thing is, people and generally older folks, are more influenced by their families and friends so it really hurts when she is the only one with a WP.

Everyone around here keeps telling her about that Instagram app or that Fun Run game and how they must be on all phones by default. They don't know what's Android or what's WP. It's a smart phone so it must have everything they want.

tl;dr just more trouble for my ass.

Yeah you're right. I think Microsoft made WP too simple for people to understand, integrating everything instead of having separate apps.

It was also quite interesting (and disappointing) that on her home screen, a ton of AT&T apps were located at the very top! I don't remember those apps because those were the very first things I deleted when I bought my Lumia, but I'm sure they were a QR scanner, GPS navigator, etc. This just shows she's clueless about the Bing Vision and HERE Maps/Drive.

And I have to say, having offline maps for GPS really helps me and my 200MB plan. I tried looking for offline Google Maps on my dad's Android, but couldn't find any.

kharma45

Yeah you're right. I think Microsoft made WP too simple for people to understand, integrating everything instead of having separate apps.

It was also quite interesting (and disappointing) that on her home screen, a ton of AT&T apps were located at the very top! I don't remember those apps because those were the very first things I deleted when I bought my Lumia, but I'm sure they were a QR scanner, GPS navigator, etc. This just shows she's clueless about the Bing Vision and HERE Maps/Drive.

And I have to say, having offline maps for GPS really helps me and my 200MB plan. I tried looking for offline Google Maps on my dad's Android, but couldn't find any.

It's in the settings of Maps.

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-maps-updated-offline-caching

Achtius

so my parents just got a lumia 920, and I sync'ed with their google account. Is there a way to only show contacts with phone number only?

Also for the skype app, if I connect to wifi, I can call people over skype for free right? Thanks!

Milchjon

Also for the skype app, if I connect to wifi, I can call people over skype for free right? Thanks!

Skype to Skype yes, Skype to phone (without a Skype app or the integrated solution for WP8) no. You need to buy credit for the latter, which can still be a smart idea for international calls.

30 hour stint with Android is over. Sold the HTC One on eBay and back to my 920.

But but but how could you properly evaluate the phone in such a short time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom