• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Push email is a big battery eater :(

Teehee. Probably because the phone would then be incapable of idling well, huh?

I wonder what would happen if I disable Xbox Live and Facebook, but then I'd be losing functionality. Probably even more savings since there would be less connections, no?

MCD

So................

When?

I still don't have my international Lumia 920 update.

WP Team:

iqmwM.jpg

frontieruk

So does anyone know why Purchases from Zune are MP3 but Purchases from Xbox music are DRM'd WMA? Seriously WTF

Hmmm I'lll leave that statement for now, just found the MP3 version on my PC just why the hell hide it away and download the WMA version as well? seriously

So I will be able to upgrade my phone on February 10th. I'm on Verizon, and I want to continue to use Windows Phone (I currently use the HTC Trophy) so my options are the Lumia 822 or HTC 8X. I like what I've seen of the 8X, but to anyone who has one, how is it on a daily basis? If it is that bad, I can wait for a little while to see if another phone comes out, but there doesn't seem to be any rumored for release anytime soon.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So I will be able to upgrade my phone on February 10th. I'm on Verizon, and I want to continue to use Windows Phone (I currently use the HTC Trophy) so my options are the Lumia 822 or HTC 8X. I like what I've seen of the 8X, but to anyone who has one, how is it on a daily basis? If it is that bad, I can wait for a little while to see if another phone comes out, but there doesn't seem to be any rumored for release anytime soon.

Nokia might have something new at Mobile World Congress for Verizon I think.

giga

The new features in 4.2 are kind of pointless for non-Nexus phones since all the OEMs build their own lock screen, camera and keyboards.
I thought Miracast was a good addition as an Airplay alternative, even though support is pretty stagnant right now.

I love my red 8x, but I'm bias (to quote Topolsky).

Gah, dropped my HTC 8X for the first time - landed on the volume rocker/camera button side. Now the volume rocker is a little messed and the camera button is super sensitive. Damn it :(

Uh oh, I exchanged my 920 after the proximity sensor started freaking out, and now my replacement phone won't sync my school's calendar, which uses google apps. Did Google fuck me over? I synced the calendar through Exchange on the phone I traded in, and everything was fine.

Edit: well, all of the items on that calendar were actually added by me personally, and since the semester just started I didn't even put that much on there. I guess I can get the exact same effect by just making a hotmail calendar with the same info.

AnkitT

No more dogfooding for this guy!

Any news regarding the WP 8 update with a notification center and hopefully an orientation lock?

Been waiting for the orientation lock since the launch of wp7. The fact that they still dont have such a basic function is quite astounding to me. A notification center is at least coming, if some of the quotes are to be believed(god knows when though).

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Here's how he responded to someone asking about this:
https://twitter.com/stevesi/status/290635771952648192
Sure I use an iphone at times. I have a Samsung too that i use. I want to be familiar with the work of all companies.

And he responded in the comments of this blog post:
http://bijansabet.com/post/40483292012/why-dont-microsoft-alumni-use-their-own-products
It is precisely what you say "Who knows, maybe he is just evaluating the competition some will say.".
I have owned every iphone released (and every ipad and galaxy and kindle). It is far better to actually use a product day in and day out so before CES I started using it and will use it for a month or so. Just prior I was using my 920.
In Office I spent a long time using SmartSuite or Google Docs for the same reasons.

Bullza2o

Is it just me or is it extremely hard to connect with the S3 and iPhone 5 via Bluetooth?
My phone would detect the S3,iPhone and pair with it, revealing all the codes and a prompt in which I click "Yes" and a prompt in the other phone to connect.
However, it would say 'connected' but after a second it disappears. Am I doing something wrong?

And NFC with the S3 doesn't work either.

hwalker84

Is it just me or is it extremely hard to connect with the S3 and iPhone 5 via Bluetooth?
My phone would detect the S3,iPhone and pair with it, revealing all the codes and a prompt in which I click "Yes" and a prompt in the other phone to connect.
However, it would say 'connected' but after a second it disappears. Am I doing something wrong?

Wrong thread?

NeOak

NFC on the S3 has Samsung specific enhancements. Sharing links is the only thing I've found to work with my 920.

iPhone 5, no clue.

Bullza2o

Wrong thread?

Sorry I left out that my phone is the Lumia 920.

NFC on the S3 has Samsung specific enhancements. Sharing links is the only thing I've found to work with my 920.
iPhone 5, no clue.

What about Bluetooth with any phone? When I had my Focus I couldn't connect to my cousin's N8 via bluetooth, and no luck with my 920 now. I'm wondering if this is a Windows Phone thing, that it sucks at bluetooth connection/transfers. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Cipherr

What about Bluetooth with any phone? When I had my Focus I couldn't connect to my cousin's N8 via bluetooth, and no luck with my 920 now. I'm wondering if this is a Windows Phone thing, that it sucks at bluetooth connection/transfers. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

Bluetooth should work, OS shouldnt matter. I have connected my phone to old ass feature phones via bluetooth. I dont know what special NFC features on a Samsung phone could possibly have to do with establishing a BT connection to another phone.

Bullza2o

Bluetooth should work, OS shouldnt matter. I have connected my phone to old ass feature phones via bluetooth. I dont know what special NFC features on a Samsung phone could possibly have to do with establishing a BT connection to another phone.

That's what I thought, but apparently I can never establish a stable connection with other phones. I'd keep pressing to pair, it connects, then disconnects after 1-2 seconds. On the other phone my Lumia 920 isn't visible.

NeOak

Well, today my dad changed from his N8 to a 920 and the contact transfer went without a hitch (As expected from Symbian). My brother too changed from an iPhone 4 to a 920 and it connected without issues.

Troll

Banned
I'm all for the predictive word algorithm you guys put together, but "Stuart Scott has cancer again lol" is a little insensitive right? I think its called word flow?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I'm all for the predictive word algorithm you guys put together, but "Stuart Scott has cancer again lol" is a little insensitive right? I think its called word flow?
Lol. At least it makes some sense compared to " I am not the first time to the first time to the first"...etc

PG2G

Does anyone have any knowledge about what will happen to the messenger integration after MS shuts it down?

Skype runs on the Messenger back end and uses live accounts for login so I wouldn't expect the change to affect us at all. They haven't said anything officially though.

ElNino

Skype runs on the Messenger back end and uses live accounts for login so I wouldn't expect the change to affect us at all. They haven't said anything officially though.
The weird thing is Skype seems to use either your Microsoft account or your Skype account depending on where you are logging in from. On the web interface and the Windows 8 app I can log in with my Microsoft account but from the WP7 Skype app and the Vita app I have to log in with my old Skype account.

thundr51

Having this same issue myself actually but my headset is pretty old. Can anyone recommend something? Using 8x.

Having this same issue myself actually but my headset is pretty old. Can anyone recommend something? Using 8x.

Even if your headset is old, if your headsets uses one of the generic profiles for headset use, you will be fine. It's a standard for a reason.

You won't be able to play music without A2DP though

Well well well: Rogers expanding Lumia 920 selection with more colours:

Canadian mobile operator Rogers has announced on its official blog plans to bring in more Lumia 920 stock, with a stronger selection of colours for consumers. Taking feedback into account, the team reports that the network will offer the Windows Phone in red, white and yellow. As well as this, there's also a small contest where you could win one of the new Lumia 920s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom