• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazinova

Yeah, my guys are scattered and I never seem to be in a good position to attack anyone but you. lol

Seems like the left and right sides are supposed to duke it out first. There are a ton more maps, I hope you guys are down to try more after this game.

zedge

Anyone having any issues with xbox music? When I go to the store it acts like I don't have a subscription. And the albums I have downloaded no longer play. 30 day trial ends Feb 1st. I assume it will renew on its own.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone having any issues with xbox music? When I go to the store it acts like I don't have a subscription. And the albums I have downloaded no longer play. 30 day trial ends Feb 1st. I assume it will renew on its own.

Mine is working fine.

MattDoza

Welp, my phone just bricked. Stuck at connect to PC screen. I have no idea what happened.

And all of the button press combos(Power+Volume down & Power+Windows button+Volume up/down) I know of do nothing.

EDIT: Just got it to reboot. *phew* I feel so lucky.

And I finally got to 7.8 after 3 attempts. Medium tiles are huge. I'm going to have to mess around with a few layouts. Not sure how I'm going to keep my home screen.

Mikhal

What happened? When I did my update, I had to install an WP7 Update Tool 1st. The Seven-Eighter program also crashed after each update was successfully installed and I had to keep rerunning and updating until I got to 7.8.

MattDoza

What happened? When I did my update, I had to install an WP7 Update Tool 1st. The Seven-Eighter program also crashed after each update was successfully installed and I had to keep rerunning and updating until I got to 7.8.

Yeah, seven-eighter crashed every time I used it. I have no idea what happened. Just got stuck on the connect to PC black screen. And then it showed a red crossed out back arrow. I guess when it goes through the progress bar on that screen it just froze or something. I eventually just unplugged it and started doing the power+volume trick over and over until it rebooted.

Glad it finally worked, though. And that my phone is okay.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Tom Warren is already done with his BB10, :lol

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren

I gave up on BlackBerry 10 after less than 24 hours. It's a confusing and schizophrenic UI that bumps up against half finished applications.

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren

Windows Phone is far from perfect feature and app wise, but returning to it and iOS from BlackBerry 10 reminds you just how good they are.

JaggedSac

So that site said that 7.8 was coming to all 7.5 devices, any word on whether that is correct or not?

Ugh. Took about 6 updates or so (lost count) to update my ATT-branded HTC Titan. I have 7.8 now though, so thanks for the link!

I have a Titan and the program is failing to install the update after 8107. Did you have this issue? Did you only select English?

kharma45

So that site said that 7.8 was coming to all 7.5 devices, any word on whether that is correct or not?

It is, most will get it either through Zune as normal or with the disconnect trick. At worst you can use the CAB method but all phones can run it, which isn't a surprise.

Korey

Has anybody on an American network successfully updated via the disconnect trick?

NOT including AT&T Lumia 900

If so, which phone and provider?

the disconnect trick worked like a charm for me! yay 7.8

still a little dissappointing, that it took so long - for about 3 features.

so, what are the best livetile apps for the new big tiles, I want to freshen up my homescreen.

It is, most will get it either through Zune as normal or with the disconnect trick. At worst you can use the CAB method but all phones can run it, which isn't a surprise.

I hear so many differing opinions on this from WinPho sites and the associated comments.
I have a (originally) T-Mobile Omnia 7 That is unlocked and using an o2 sim. I've read the "Bypassing the carriers" thing is a lie and is still dependant on Mobile Operators actually releasing the update. Also been told that T-Mobile UK haven't release a Windows Phone update for over a year, and because this phone was originally T-Mobile it's dependant on their servers, so will probably never happen.

I'm going to give it until mid Feb, then I'll go down the cab install route. Apparently then you miss firmware/baseband upgrades though. Not sure how bad that'd be stability wise going forward.

I've tried the disconnect trick on and off for several hours over the past 2 days. Absolutely no dice.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
saw the Lumia 810 or whatever (think it was the Verizon model) at the store. Nice little phone. Is that available on one of those super cheap T-Mobile pay as you go plans?

I hear so many differing opinions on this from WinPho sites and the associated comments.
I have a (originally) T-Mobile Omnia 7 That is unlocked and using an o2 sim. I've read the "Bypassing the carriers" thing is a lie and is still dependant on Mobile Operators actually releasing the update. Also been told that T-Mobile UK haven't release a Windows Phone update for over a year, and because this phone was originally T-Mobile it's dependant on their servers, so will probably never happen.

I'm going to give it until mid Feb, then I'll go down the cab install route. Apparently then you miss firmware/baseband upgrades though. Not sure how bad that'd be stability wise going forward.

I've tried the disconnect trick on and off for several hours over the past 2 days. Absolutely no dice.

From what I understand of the zune update proces is that there are two steps in checking for updates:
1. Is there a new OS version for the phone availible?
2. Check for carrier allowance.

The essense of the disconnect trick is to disconnect just after step 1 is completed to bypass a go/no go from carriers.

From what I understand of the zune update proces is that there are two steps in checking for updates:
1. Is there a new OS version for the phone availible?
2. Check for carrier allowance.

The essense of the disconnect trick is to disconnect just after step 1 is completed to bypass a go/no go from carriers.

I still thought their had to be a carrier specific version available on the Microsoft servers or whatever.

i.e. There's a signed "phone switches on with a dumb t-mobile logo" version of 7.8 that's been built, but t-mobile haven't flipped the switch yet & the disconnect trick bypasses the "don't download this" flag and permits the download.

I'm just worried their is no T-Mobile version. It's an interesting question. Are people with carrier branded phones seeing their carrier branding & carrier installed apps stripped with this update, or is an orange phone with orange junk still the same after 7.8? I honestly don't know.

I've wanted a 920 for a long time. Every time I go to drop the money though something comes up. The 620 looks great for the low price. What is the general consensus on these? As an example, my current phone is a Galaxy Ace, it was around £150 when I bought, and has been a piece of junk pretty much since the day I got it. How should the 620 fare?

Klocker

Nope. Tried both yesterday and today without success. I ended up just using the tool posted on the previous page. Worked fine, save for an isolated incident on my phone.

thanks

so isolated incident but no problems? :) EDIT: NM just read up.

focus/S any chance?

Mikhal

I'm just worried their is no T-Mobile version. It's an interesting question. Are people with carrier branded phones seeing their carrier branding & carrier installed apps stripped with this update, or is an orange phone with orange junk still the same after 7.8? I honestly don't know.

Should be the bolded. My ATT-branded Titan retains all the branding/apps that I didn't already delete prior to the update. I think the update just backs up all your current apps/settings and restores them after the update is complete. During all the incremental updates I had to do to get to 7.8, my phone looked like nothing has changed on it at all. Once I finally got to 7.8, the only thing that tells you that you made it is a new Windows Phone boot screen (after the carrier/manufacturer logos) and the fact that your tiles look larger than you're used to due to the lack of the gutter.

...Oh my god, Joshua Topolsky actually somewhat praised Windows Phone on the latest Vergecast. He even said that WP will become the third ecosystem over BB10.
The weather may be screwing with his head

dLMN8R

I still can't get over the fact that the Lumia 920 got an 8/10 for its camera in a world where the Galaxy S3 gets the same score, and the Z10 gets a 7/10.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I still can't get over the fact that the Lumia 920 got an 8/10 for its camera in a world where the Galaxy S3 gets the same score, and the Z10 gets a 7/10.

Can you imagine the reviews if you take the 920's camera and put it in the iPhone 5? (I know it wouldn't fit, just play along). I'm picturing reviews where the camera is gushed at as a stunning achievement and example of Apple's relentless innovative hardware prowess, where the terms paradigm shift, generational leap, and revolution are tossed around carelessly, where Topolsky and Wired make literary love to the phone in their review text.

Its too bad that its on a Nokia phone and most reviewers really didn't give it the props it deserves.

JaggedSac

I was updating using that tool and it appears some language packs got borked or something and now menus don't open up for me. Unfortunately it saved a backup after it did this when I tried again. Anyway to manually go back to a previous version?

EDIT: Figured it out. The gui tool installed an update but failed on the language pack. I didn't realize it was the language pack that failed, so I just tried the update again, which installed the next version and that failed when that language was attempted to be installed. I just had to go back and try installing all the language packs again until I found the version that worked.

So I just got a blAck 920 and I'm loving it, what are some essential apps?im coming off an iPhone btw and the experience so far has been refreshing!

So I just got a blAck 920 and I'm loving it, what are some essential apps?im coming off an iPhone btw and the experience so far has been refreshing!

Hop into the Nokia Collection and download all the Camera Apps, and your states maps.

Id download "Maps" to bring back bing maps, the POI database is way better than Nokia.

Amazon Mobile
All Recipes
Baconit
Cocktail Flow if you like to make drinks
Crackle for Sony Movies (its free)
Flixster
Football Live for NFL news and stuff
Metrotube <--- best youtube player on WP8, its 99cents but it is awesome.
Nokia City Lens (I think it comes preinstalled, very neat)
PDF Reader
Ringtone Maker (nokia app)
Skydrive
Time Mobile
TuneIn Radio
TVshow
Urban Spoon
USA Today
Vimeo
Weave
Wikipedia (it has the wiki globe with yellow backdrop as logo, VERY GOOD wiki app)

I use an app called Conectivity for all my wifi/bt/airplane mode blah blah short cuts... its nice and quick.

Those are my favorites that I have.

Some very nice camera lenses available in the nokia collections, try cinemagraph!

Weatherflow, TVShow, MetroTube, Fuse, Skulls of the Shogun, Wordament, Baconit, Skydrive, Audible, Urbanspoon

Hop into the Nokia Collection and download all the Camera Apps, and your states maps.

Id download "Maps" to bring back bing maps, the POI database is way better than Nokia.

Amazon Mobile
All Recipes
Baconit
Cocktail Flow if you like to make drinks
Crackle for Sony Movies (its free)
Flixster
Football Live for NFL news and stuff
Metrotube <--- best youtube player on WP8, its 99cents but it is awesome.
Nokia City Lens (I think it comes preinstalled, very neat)
PDF Reader
Ringtone Maker (nokia app)
Skydrive
Time Mobile
TuneIn Radio
TVshow
Urban Spoon
USA Today
Vimeo
Weave
Wikipedia (it has the wiki globe with yellow backdrop as logo, VERY GOOD wiki app)

I use an app called Conectivity for all my wifi/bt/airplane mode blah blah short cuts... its nice and quick.

Those are my favorites that I have.

Some very nice camera lenses available in the nokia collections, try cinemagraph!

Awesome! Already have skulls and metrotube, can't wait to try the rest, thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom