• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've wanted a 920 for a long time. Every time I go to drop the money though something comes up. The 620 looks great for the low price. What is the general consensus on these? As an example, my current phone is a Galaxy Ace, it was around £150 when I bought, and has been a piece of junk pretty much since the day I got it. How should the 620 fare?
My daughter loves it. It's small and very pocketable but have all the new features of WP 8, battery is small bit it last a whole day. Also expandable memory. Camera is decent really for $265.00 you really get a lot of phone for your money.

Amory

This 7.8 update situation is absolute bullshit.

Pretty clear Microsoft slow played the release so that people wouldn't be able to mistake the old windows phones for the new ones. Now that it's finally out, you can't even update without knowing how to do a disconnect trick. Ridiculous.

Fuck WP, I'll never own another one.

Pretty clear Microsoft slow played the release so that people wouldn't be able to mistake the old windows phones for the new ones. Now that it's finally out, you can't even update without knowing how to do a disconnect trick. Ridiculous.

Yup, it's fucked.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never buy another WP, but the next Lumia had better be ridiculously good or I'll be getting an iPhone.

No, it's not fucked. I case you don't remember, updates for Windows Phone always rolled out in batches, over few weeks. That was the case with NoDo, it was the case with Mango and it's going to be the same here.

kharma45

I've wanted a 920 for a long time. Every time I go to drop the money though something comes up. The 620 looks great for the low price. What is the general consensus on these? As an example, my current phone is a Galaxy Ace, it was around £150 when I bought, and has been a piece of junk pretty much since the day I got it. How should the 620 fare?

620 is great for the price, I was almost set on a 920 but at £150 the 620 is fantastic value and has really made me consider it.

So, has anyone noticed any differences in WPhone 8 vs. WPhone 7, apart from speed? I would really like to see some applications of the shared kernel between Phone 8 and Windows 8. The two products seem very distant from each other apart from UI.

No, it's not fucked. I case you don't remember, updates for Windows Phone always rolled out in batches, over few weeks. That was the case with NoDo, it was the case with Mango and it's going to be the same here.
...and that was fucked too, but more ridiculous is that we've waited three months for a half arsed interface update.

Sim-lock didn't use to be a problem because unlocking a phone was pretty easy. Windows Phones can't be unlocked unless you do it manually by entering a code that is tied to your IMEI number. Some carriers here give away that code for free. Other carriers, like Vodafone, sell that code for 150 euros...

What load of bull, as much as I dislike their recent move, they are always do staggered updates. I am not sure why you have to do disconnected you can just wait your turn. You just do disconnect to skip your turn. Anyway my next phone will be Nokia regardless what OS is on it, I have been using One X for last few days and I think I can adjust to using Google.

mm04

What load of bull, as much as I dislike their recent move, they are always do staggered updates. I am not sure why you have to do disconnected you can just wait your turn. You just do disconnect to skip your turn. Anyway my next phone will be Nokia regardless what OS is on it, I have been using One X for last few days and I think I can adjust to using Google.

Or just use the tool that giga posted a link to. Just plug your phone in and click on the executable. It prompts you the whole way. After about 45 minutes or so, I was up and running on 7.8 on a Samsung Focus.

Sordid

Thought I should post this here as well.

Super Monkey Ball 2 (non Xbox version) is free for Lumia users.

http://www.wpcentral.com/nokia-super-monkey-ball-now-free-lumia-users

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm thinking about going for the 620 too, I hope Three start selling it for a similar price. I was waiting for the 920 but the 620 would keep me going until the 'real' WP8 PureView later this year I'd imagine. My only worry is the 1300 mAh battery, seems pretty poor :/

kharma45

I'm a moment away from going down to O2 and buying it. Going to run my eye over the finances. Seriously tempted.

If you've a Quidco or TopCashBack account you can get £5 cashback by buying it online.

If you do buy it lots of pics and opinions for me :p I'm really leaning towards it over the 920 for the price, but I know part of me would miss the big HD screen that the 920 has.

If you've a Quidco or TopCashBack account you can get £5 cashback by buying it online.

If you do buy it lots of pics and opinions for me :p I'm really leaning towards it over the 920 for the price, but I know part of me would miss the big HD screen that the 920 has.
I thought you had a 920?

I can get £40 trade in for my old phone and £22 off with O2 rewards.

Fuck it, I'm off to buy it.

kharma45

I thought you had a 920?

I can get £40 trade in for my old phone and £22 off with O2 rewards.

Fuck it, I'm off to buy it.

I had it on loan from Nokia, was supposed to be a 2 week trial but it turned into two months lol. Loved it when I had it.

Fuck if you can get the 620 then for what, £90 or so? Defs worth it in my book. Bung a good sized SD card in there for music, video and photos and you're flying!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Phones have been shipping with 7.8 installed in various countries, I'm pretty sure MS doesn't care too much which OS version you buy as long as its WP. And as mentioned, the disconnect trick is used if you don't want to wait to get it officially from the staggered release schedule. And if you REALLY want 7.8 right this second, just use the cab method.

I hate waiting for updates, so I understand the frustration, but there are ways to get the update, and if I were in your shoes (and I HAVE been in your shoes wrt previous updates) I would just manually update if the disconnect trick didn't work.

I had it on loan from Nokia, was supposed to be a 2 week trial but it turned into two months lol. Loved it when I had it.

Fuck if you can get the 620 then for what, £90 or so? Defs worth it in my book. Bung a good sized SD card in there for music, video and photos and you're flying!
What was the reason for the loan?

Oh baby. This keyboard is something else. Liking this so far.

kharma45

What was the reason for the loan?

Oh baby. This keyboard is something else. Liking this so far.

Just to see if I liked it, they are doing it through twitter and on their website too iirc.

You got it then? the WP keyboard is the best I've used across the three main platforms, MS did a fantastic job with it.

That didn't take long to get it, :lol

Glad you like it so far.

Edit: Nice to see more Gaffers getting WP.
I didn't waste any time
KuGsj.gif

Just to see if I liked it, they are doing it through twitter and on their website too iirc.

You got it then? the WP keyboard is the best I've used across the three main platforms, MS did a fantastic job with it.
I see. Really like it so far. Vast improvement over the old Galaxy Ace.

Edit: had a look at the back plates in store. The orange was gross. Liked the white and cyan, probably go cyan.

Frost_Ace

I have a weird problem.

After the 7.8 update when I sync'd my outlook account to the phone it didn't bring over all my contacts even when I manually upgraded...what can I do?

Troll

Banned
Sonic CD free for Nokia too.

I accidentally clicked the paid version, lol I hope I didn't get charged. I turned my phone off as soon as I noticed and it looks like I'm ok...

Sordid

Sonic CD free for Nokia too.

I accidentally clicked the paid version, lol I hope I didn't get charged. I turned my phone off as soon as I noticed and it looks like I'm ok...

Kinda weird that they're stripping the achievements but I won't complain when these games are free! Maybe they got some flack before when Mirror's Edge was free for Nokia owners with achievements intact?

So tempted to go for the 620, O2 are offering me £70 for my Lumia 800 so it'd only cost £80. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get it unlocked though, O2's website said payg customers have to wait 12 months :*(

Kinda weird that they're stripping the achievements but I won't complain when these games are free! Maybe they got some flack before when Mirror's Edge was free for Nokia owners with achievements intact?

So tempted to go for the 620, O2 are offering me £70 for my Lumia 800 so it'd only cost £80. I'm not sure if I'd be able to get it unlocked though, O2's website said payg customers have to wait 12 months :*(

Why should they get flack for that, when Nokia paid for the ports?

Speaking of Mirror's Edge, it was released for other Windows Phones.

kharma45

I see. Really like it so far. Vast improvement over the old Galaxy Ace.

Edit: had a look at the back plates in store. The orange was gross. Liked the white and cyan, probably go cyan.

Glad to hear you're pleased Kyle :) Cyan ftw, wish the 900 came in it.

The difference between budget Android and Windows Phone devices really is night and day.

Glad to hear you're pleased Kyle :) Cyan ftw, wish the 900 came in it.

The difference between budget Android and Windows Phone devices really is night and day.
Haven't really had too much time on it since I was away playing football. But for the hour or two I've used the device I can say I'm really impressed. Love some of the features. Live tiles are great. The whole style and layout. Really great. I can actually see myself using SmartGlass too.

Have to agree on the budget comment. I've used plenty of Android devices, and honestly, this seems as snappy as the best of them. I can only imagine what the 920 is like. But for £150 you really can't go wrong with this thing.

Go buy it!

Sordid

Yep, I'm looking forward to Tiger Woods and stuff being ported this year. Totally went out of my head when I posted earlier :$

I hear so many differing opinions on this from WinPho sites and the associated comments.
I have a (originally) T-Mobile Omnia 7 That is unlocked and using an o2 sim. I've read the "Bypassing the carriers" thing is a lie and is still dependant on Mobile Operators actually releasing the update. Also been told that T-Mobile UK haven't release a Windows Phone update for over a year, and because this phone was originally T-Mobile it's dependant on their servers, so will probably never happen.

I'm going to give it until mid Feb, then I'll go down the cab install route. Apparently then you miss firmware/baseband upgrades though. Not sure how bad that'd be stability wise going forward.

I've tried the disconnect trick on and off for several hours over the past 2 days. Absolutely no dice.

Read more doom & gloom today about this and T-Mobile UK. Got sick of the situation so did the latest version of the Seven-Eighter on the Omnia. Worked fine, still boots up with T-Mobile screen, then new fancy windows phone screen. All t-Mobile/Samsung junk intact, as well as SMS, Pics etc. No data loss & works perfectly. Had to run through about 6 patches to get to the end.

Totakeke

Klocker

Nope. Tried both yesterday and today without success. I ended up just using the tool posted on the previous page. Worked fine, save for an isolated incident on my phone.

e2: ok ran this thing 8 times now (on focus S) and get "Unsuccessful install" note on phone and the tool bogs out.

e3: 7e1d2e02 - 0351c961 Update Error 80180048 IU (Image Update) installation failed due to an error.%

MattDoza

e2: ok ran this thing 8 times now (on focus S) and get "Unsuccessful install" note on phone and the tool bogs out.

e3: 7e1d2e02 - 0351c961 Update Error 80180048 IU (Image Update) installation failed due to an error.%

The tool always crashed for me in the fashion of: "Seven-Either has stopped working" but I never got an unsuccessful install message.

Just to make sure, you're not running Zune, are you? I read in the comments of the tool's page and saw something about that causing some problems, if it's running.

Here's that page, if you want to look in the comments for a similar problem: http://www.windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13

I'm not sure I'll be of much help other than this.

Klocker

The tool always crashed for me in the fashion of: "Seven-Either has stopped working" but I never got an unsuccessful install message.

Just to make sure, you're not running Zune, are you? I read in the comments of the tool's page and saw something about that causing some problems, if it's running.

Here's that page, if you want to look in the comments for a similar problem: http://www.windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13

I'm not sure I'll be of much help other than this.

thanks Matt

I did a restore as it had changed my version slightly and said it was successful the first time but never went to 7.8

Ran tool again after that and this time it is installing several rounds of updates and restarting several times (prior attempts failed out after first restart) so I might be on my way. *fingers crossed* :lol

thanks

Edit: success!!! focus S (be sure to install all languages)

MattDoza

thanks Matt

I did a restore as it had changed my version slightly and said it was successful the first time but never went to 7.8

Ran tool again after that and this time it is installing several rounds of updates and restating several times (prior to failed out after first restart) so I might be on my way. *fingers crossed* :lol

thanks

Cool! I had a scare myself while installing. I'll cross my fingers too.

zedge

http://www.wpcentral.com/8-things-microsoft-needs-fix-windows-phone-8

I think this sum up pretty well what the platform need now. My brother 920 froze up yesterday 3-4 times (no portico here yet), he finally shut off the thing and went back to his iPhone. He said this,is why Windows Phone will never gain any market share here despite all the heavy push by poor Nokia.

#7 needs to come NOW! Its one of my single biggest pet peeves with WP. I don't think any other platform is without this, it just seems so goddamn silly.

And I have been encountering #8 very recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom