• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am too mainstream but I don't really find MAL scores that outlandish. Usually if the show has high score on MAL I also enjoy it. Of course there are some shows that have way too high score (hello Angel Beats) or way too low (like Garo) but overall I usually tend to enjoy shows that are also ranked high on MAL. It's not like fanservice pandering shows are getting that high scores in MAL either.

Sölf

My problem is I start at 6-7 rating, but I need to start lower as my base score...

Yeah, me to. Nowadays I basically only watch shows I rate 7 and above. If it's not a 7 after 1-3 episodes (being quite good while I watch it, but not good enought that I need to watch it immediatly, I may even have 2-3 week gaps in between), I usually just drop it nowadays. There are some exceptions, that's stuff that is in our weekly stream. Concrete Revolution S1 we watched there and I wouldn't have rated that higher than 5 or 6 if it wasn't for the last 3 episodes, which brought it up to a 7. But yeah, no idea when I watched a "really bad show" knowingly.

Theonik

The Rose of Versailles 37

When the oncoming Reign of Terror isn't tragic enough so you need to put your main characters into a doomed romance with survival chances quickly approaching zero

From the first episode it was apparent that most of the cast would perish from a historical standpoint but this is just salt in the wound
Just push through

When the top shows have been rated by over 700k people MAL scores represent opinions of pretty huge part of the whole anime fanbase though.

When Clannad: After Story is rated as the #8 greatest anime of all time maybe its time to wonder how many of those ratings are white noise that you shouldn't particularly care about. MAL ratings sure as shit aren't representative of this community.

Toradora

Bloody hell that was good. Characters with development, people dealing with rejection without triggering the apocalypse, Ryuji driving me nuts through most of the Christmas/school trip arc but in a none too contrived way. Each of the principle cast of Ryuji, Taiga, Ami, Minori and Yusaka has personality and reasonable motivations even the harem aspects felt natural rather than contrived self insert MC nonsense.

The only time things fell flat for me was at the end of episode 24 and the beginning of 25 (Heavy spoilers)
when Ryuji's mother runs away after he chews her out of it in a fashion that made me want to choke him. His (non)reaction to seeing her note about having run away, his calmly lying to Taiga about meeting his mother while (still) eloping on the train and the sudden idea to hit up his grandparents. That the next episode wraps up this thread in 5 minutes with a 'oh and then we tricked her into returning to her parent's home and everything was cool' which felt very off. The attempt to link this to his lying about the chocolate store job as if he could have anticipated his mother leaving grandpa's watch behind was daft. Ryuji not directly apologising for chewing his mother out also sits poorly with me but the show does show them reconciling in a well done scene

I hadn't watched many straight SoL or romance shows prior to this and the only other one in my CR queue is Skip Beat! so any and all recommendations welcome. (Edit: also Sound Euphonium)

It's not even that. It's a measure of popularity only within the rating subset of the MAL community.

When the top shows have been rated by over 700k people MAL scores represent opinions of pretty huge part of the whole anime fanbase though.

Yeah I was gonna say, it's not like these things are only getting 100 votes. Sure not everyone is on it, but it's safe to say a pretty big percentage of viewers are rating shows there.
When Clannad: After Story is rated as the #8 greatest anime of all time maybe its time to wonder how many of those ratings are white noise that you shouldn't particularly care about. MAL ratings sure as shit aren't representative of this community.

But again, you can't compare the numbers. This community in particular is like what, 0.00001% of the total number of people registered on that website?

When Clannad: After Story is rated as the #8 greatest anime of all time maybe its time to wonder how many of those ratings are white noise that you shouldn't particularly care about. MAL ratings sure as shit isn't representative of this community.

It's fair to say that MAL ratings indicate which anime properties have a substantial hardcore fanbase who are eager to evangelize. Clannad has one, Gintama definitely has one, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has one.

AnimeGAF as a whole has traditionally had better taste than MAL or anime fandom in general, though that has fluctuated.

JulianImp

I hadn't watched many straight SoL or romance shows prior to this and the only other one in my CR queue is Skip Beat! so any and all recommendations welcome.

Hmm... maybe you could try Say "I love you" as a SoL romance, or Kokoro Connect, a personal favorite of mine which is kind of a supernatural high school SoL where a normal group of students suddenly begin changing bodies or reading each other's thoughts at random, which leads to lots and lots of character development (it has romance, but the main theme is more general about bonds rather than focusing on love).

There's also older stuff such as KareKano that you might want to watch as well. That one's actually interesting despite being really focused on comedy because the main couple get together really early on and the show displays their struggles as they try to get close to each other (with copious amounts of comedy).

I'm generally positive when it comes to most of the stuff I watch, so I have a lot of 8-10s on my list.

I only gave two things a 1. That's stuff I legitimately despise and they're both movies.

Sölf

Shin Sekai Yori 06
That totally felt like a unnecessary filler episode. But since Satoru's character changed so drastically, I think it will be important later on. And yeah, those stones were horribly animated. xD

zulux21

It's fair to say that MAL ratings indicate which anime properties have a substantial hardcore fanbase who are eager to evangelize. Clannad has one, Gintama definitely has one, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has one.

AnimeGAF as a whole has traditionally had better taste than MAL or anime fandom in general, though that has fluctuated.

I'm just gonna say that I love having an active anime community to talk to on neogaf and leave it at that :p

I don't trust anybody but myself.

there are a handful of people in this thread I would trust to give me their thoughts on anime. It's all about finding people with similar tastes rather than blindly trusting anyone that speaks loudly.

. MAL ratings sure as shit aren't representative of this community.

well that's a given lol.

There is way more than 700k people in the world watching anime.

Well top shows having 700k users scored them doesn't mean that the upper limit of MAL users is 700k as not everyone watches the same shows or scores them. Of course even counting that there are more people watching anime worldwide but especially if you subtract those people that watch only one or too mainstream shows (like for example Pokemon, Dragonball, or Naruto) I would say MAL represents at least a substantial amount of anime fans.

Well of course not as MAL represents the opinion of masses and this subcommunity represents the opinion of rather hardcore niche fanbase (I am not saying this as a bad thing). Just like GamingGAF has way different representation than the mainstream gaming market. Going by GamingGAF you would think that WiiU is just behind PS4 in sales or that Persona 5 is going to outsell next COD.

pbayne

Slam Dunk 19

Jesus 19 episodes to finish one match and it was only a pre-season game. It was fantastic though. That heart-breaking last second Sendo buzzer-beater, damn stole Sakuragi's big moment really did not expect that.

Some pretty cool visuals they use to show characters perspectives, like Ruwakawa moving completely on instinct and all he can see is the outlines of the jerseys.

Kimi ni Todoke 5-8

Yeesh, I think I'll take a break from this for a bit. The episode where they all spent a weekend together was pretty nice I can already see it's veering straight back into ridiculous drama territory.

Ano Natsu de Matteru 1-4

I watched this way back when it first aired and enjoyed it quite a bit, although I'd forgotten most of it before starting rewatching, although after I few eps a lot is coming back to me and I'm really liking it again. One other thing I noticed is that there was apparently an OVA release a few years after it aired, was that ever officially subbed anywhere?

Sölf

Shin Sekai Yori 07
Well, this arc ended, as it seemed in the preview we would get a time jump of a few years (or at least months). I didn't really understand why they had to fight in this "war", but that had to do with Satoru and how he changed after getting his Cantus back. HE wanted to fight, whatever his reason may have been.

Well, let's see where the second arc will take me. The next episode also includes "that" scene, eh?

zulux21

Kimi ni Todoke 5-8

Yeesh, I think I'll take a break from this for a bit. The episode where they all spent a weekend together was pretty nice I can already see it's veering straight back into ridiculous drama territory.

kimi in general sticks to more of a cute and fluffy feel rather than drama... though there is some, most of the stuff i recall is in the early stuff.

Lautaro

Broken Blade 10

Ok, this is damn good, the mech designs are nice and battered and the battles are visceral, the MC is tolerable... why I haven't heard of this series before? I hope the last 2 episodes don't ruin it.

I like it even more because it looks like one of my dream game ideas that I hope to make one day.

58635.jpg

Cornbread78

Toradora
I hadn't watched many straight SoL or romance shows prior to this and the only other one in my CR queue is Skip Beat! so any and all recommendations welcome. (Edit: also Sound Euphonium)

Toradora was excellent even though initially I was extremely pissed at that ending until I thought about it and realized what had really happened, then I came to appreciate it much more...

Some other thing you might consider on Crunchyroll:

- 5 Centimeters per second
- ef- A Tale of Memories
- White Album 2
- Golden Time
- The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
- Wolf Girl and Black Prince
- Say, I Love you
- Blue Spring Ride
- Myself; Yourself
- Ano Natsu de Matteru

All are decent enough watches.

Glasslip is a must watch slice of life. Its so good that it will leave you begging for more.

Kimi to Boku is another one thag is a must watch. One of the best cast of characters animated.

zulux21

Toradora was excellent even though initially I was extremely pissed at that ending until I thought about it and realized what had really happened, then I came to appreciate it much more...

Some other thing you might consider on Crunchyroll:

- 5 Centimeters per second
- ef- A Tale of Memories
- White Album 2
- Golden Time
- The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
- Wolf Girl and Black Prince
- Say, I Love you
- Blue Spring Ride
- Myself; Yourself
- Ano Natsu de Matteru

All are decent enough watches.

they should watch skip beat first so they can back the kickstarter so it can get closer to succeeding and the blu ray stretch goal so I can stop stressing about it :3

that being said I would add
Nodame
Nana
Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal (counts as a romance enough, a good watch in general)
ouran high school host club (more of a comedy than romance but still a romcom)
school rumble (same as above but gets goofy with its romance)
and because no one else ever will recommend it
Romeo x Juliet as surprisingly fresh take on a classic romance story :p

Cornbread78

Is White Album 2 it's own thing seperate from the first? I always see people recommend it on it's own without mentioning the first.

Completely separate from what I've been told.

they should watch skip beat first so they can back the kickstarter so it can get closer to succeeding and the blu ray stretch goal so I can stop stressing about it :3

that being said I would add
Nodame
Nana
Rurouni Kenshin Trust and Betrayal (counts as a romance enough, a good watch in general)
ouran high school host club (more of a comedy than romance but still a romcom)
school rumble (same as above but gets goofy with its romance)
and because no one else ever will recommend it
Romeo x Juliet as surprisingly fresh take on a classic romance story :p

Problem is I don't believe any of those are on Crunchy, or else I'd give him a huge book of em, lol.

Daily reminder for people who don't frequent the thread much.

When DTL recommends Glasslip, that means DTL is recommending Glasslip.

The rest of us do not recommend Glasslip.

pbayne

There's a romeo and juliet anime? As soon as i saw that title my mind went straight to that DiCaprio abomination where everyone has guns and drives convertibles.

Is it any good?

Cheers for the recommendations JulianImp, Cornbread78, Dedication Through Light and zulux21! CR was running dry of shows in my normal fantasy/sci-fi vein leaving me with thin gruel like Brynhildr

Problem is I don't believe any of those are on Crunchy, or else I'd give him a huge book of em, lol.

So frustrating when stuff is on CR but is region locked for me in Ireland (e.g. Eureka Seven), Funi Ireland has been moved from 'Coming in March' to 'Coming Sooon' but that remains my next port of call when CR runs dry :)

There's a romeo and juliet anime? As soon as i saw that title my mind went straight to that DiCaprio abomination where everyone has guns and drives convertibles.

Is it any good?

I enjoyed it.

But I have odd tastes when it comes to romance.

I will say that it actually has Shakespeare in the story as a character, and he's great in it.

Mailbox

I liked romeo x juliet a lot actually, but don't expect the metaphors or story paths to be the same things. Its definitely its own thing using the same characters.
The ending was a little too... well I expected something different, wasn't bad though/

Is White Album 2 it's own thing seperate from the first? I always see people recommend it on it's own without mentioning the first.

Okay,

So White album is actually 2 seasons long, with White Album and White Ablum second season

White Album 2 is its own thing.

The reason they are called that is because of the VN (Eroge) names.

White Album 2 only makes slight nods to the first. Also, apparently White Album 2 actually only covers the prelude (could have fooled me, felt like a good and complete story to me)

I recommend White Album 2.
Haven't watched White Album yet.

zulux21

Completely separate from what I've been told.

ah... I didn't check that.
nodame has the first season for free on crackle.
host club, romeo x juliet and school rumble might be free on funimation. (not sure how much free stuff is on there, at least the first few episodes should be.)
and nana might be on hulu

the last couple might be on netflix... I think nana and host club are at least.

but yeah, forgot to take into account just the crunchyroll.
I still don't think any franchise pains me more than Nana though. someday maybe she will finish the story @_____________________________________________@

Is it any good?

I have a feeling if you love romeo and juliet you will hate it.
personally I thought it was a really fun watch.
I recall the dub being decent.
anyways apperently it's up for free on funimation's youtube channel lol. (all of the sub version is only the first 3 eps of the dub are)

series trailer

also school rumble is on youtube from funimation
so is host club
nana isn't so just enjoy this instead

Mailbox

ah... I didn't check that.
nodame has the first season for free on crackle.
host club, romeo x juliet and school rumble might be free on funimation. (not sure how much free stuff is on there, at least the first few episodes should be.)
and nana might be on hulu

the last couple might be on netflix... I think nana and host club are at least.

but yeah, forgot to take into account just the crunchyroll.
I still don't think any franchise pains me more than Nana though. someday maybe she will finish the story @_____________________________________________@

Theres a lot of free subs on funi, iirc. Some have free dubs as well (oddly, Air has free dub, but not free sub...)

I watched a lot of free stuff on funi before getting a subscription (i wanted higher quality and dubs... )

zulux21

Theres a lot of free subs on funi, iirc. Some have free dubs as well (oddly, Air has free dub, but not free sub...)

I watched a lot of free stuff on funi before getting a subscription (i wanted higher quality and dubs... )

I thought i recalled a lot of free stuff on there, but I have been on a sub for 3 years now as once I got my job I subbed to crunchy and funimation to help support the industry. Plus I am a dub watcher as it allows me to multitask.

also on a different note... nana has such a good soundtrack @_@
by far one of my most listened to soundtracks. Heck I have gotten people into some of the songs that don't typically like Japanese stuff lol.

I had a dream NGNL and Black Bullet season 2 got announced.

I wish for NGNL, at least I have book 4 in english and got to read that... now to just wait for july to finish the arc :/

JulianImp

jokes on you, I liked endless eight

Different strokes and all that. Still, I'm really thankful I haven't dreamed about crappy anime yet... I can't imagine how much of a nightmare dreaming more Cross Ange would be.

I actually liked NGNL, if only because of its amazing color palette.

Also, having read that reddit anime list I bothered to check the worst scores and chuckled when I saw Pupa in there. Haven't watched it, but from what I heard about the series...

TUSR

Banned
Different strokes and all that. Still, I'm really thankful I haven't dreamed about crappy anime yet... I can't imagine how much of a nightmare dreaming more Cross Ange would be.

I actually liked NGNL, if only because of its amazing color palette.
Cross Ange is the best mecha in the last few years not named Gundam IBO.

pbayne

I will say that it actually has Shakespeare in the story as a character, and he's great in it.

I admit that does sound like a great idea.

I have a feeling if you love romeo and juliet you will hate it.
personally I thought it was a really fun watch.
I recall the dub being decent.
]

Despite having read it countless times, I have no love for the original play at all.
Looked up a bit of it and yeah i like the look of the character designs. Throw it on the watchlist for someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom