• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the 20 shows for Spring?
Aikatsu Stars!
Bakuon!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Bungou Stray Dogs
flying witch
Gyakuten Saiban
Hai Furi
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai
Joker Game
Kidou Senshi Gundam RE: 0096
Kiznaiver
Kuma Miko
Kuromukuro Super Lovers!
Mayoiga
Sakamoto desu ga?
Sansha Sanyou
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Unhappy♪
Kagewani: Shou
Uchuu Patrol Luluco

And the four recommended shows from Winter?
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R
Please Tell Me! Galko-chan
BBK/BRNKI was kidding. I'll stick KonoSuba here

phaze

So reflecting on it I'm not sure the second season of Haikyuu was stronger than the first season. The first half was definitely better than S1's first half but the second half was weaker despite a few standout episodes. Ultimately it doesn't matter that much because both seasons are outstanding but just some ruminations on my part.

I enjoyed the first season more, all things considered. S2 first half held remarkably well considering it was constant training after training, without the benefit of getting to introduce the primary cast of characters like in S1 but I still liked the latter more. I'd say every match before the last in S2 was a bit subpar and even the match against Aoba was better in S1 because of the much more pronounced Kageyama x Oikawa tension and rivalry.

House of Five Leaves 12 END

This is perhaps the best episode in terms of achieving the perfect atmosphere. As Yaichi retreats inwards, the pacing becomes even slower, the dialogue more sparse, the direction more reflective, the colors duller. It makes for a good climax that stays true to the introverted nature of the show. The release after the grave visit, particularly the very final scene, is cathartic in an understated manner. Mochizuki did a good job seeing this intimate character drama through to a satisfying end that feels complete in itself. It even had a direct callback to the first episode.

So while there are various minor qualms I have with some of the decisions the anime staff made (never did get over those green flashbacks), overall this is an excellent show that I wholeheartedly endorse. The approach it takes to storytelling greatly appeals to me.

I thought you disliked the show when reading your impressions, glad to see that's not the case.

Beyond the Boundary was a legitimate waste of time though. Thats the one time I cant excuse a show no matter how pretty it is or how awesome the action was.

Insulting KyoAni's masterpiece like that. smh

Aikatsu Stars!
Bakuon!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Bungou Stray Dogs
flying witch
Gyakuten Saiban
Hai Furi
Joker Game
Kiznaiver
Kuma Miko
Kuromukuro
Mayoiga
Sakamoto desu ga?
Sansha Sanyou
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Unhappy♪
Uchuu Patrol Luluco

Seems like a good list but Kabaneri ? Ushio to Tora had plenty of its adherent too I think ?

[

No one watched this idolshit outside of you and Pbayne.
picturen6p3j.png

Bubu Buranki didn't strike me as something that got a reception that would warrant this. Also, severe lack of Haikyuu unless you omitted it because it's second season/cour.

Aikatsu Stars!
Bakuon!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Bungou Stray Dogs
flying witch
Gyakuten Saiban
Hai Furi
Joker Game
Kiznaiver
Kuma Miko
Kuromukuro
Mayoiga
Sakamoto desu ga?
Sansha Sanyou
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Unhappy♪
Uchuu Patrol Luluco

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
BBK/BRNK

You left off Super Lovers! please for me. Please.

Qurupeke

Decent enough and it has variety.
Edit: Kabaneri, yes. I don't know if that many people really care about it, but it seems pretty high profile.

BBK/BRNK

F9Qr7TB.jpg

Konosuba got robbed, again. Were there even people that would recommend BBK/BRNK? :p

Cornbread78

Winter Rankings:

Erased: 8.8
Raku: 8.3
Ass Class: 8.1
Shirayuki: 8.1
Konosuba: 8.0
Gate: 8.0
Grimgar 7.9
Ajin 7.7
Dimension W 7.4
Nijiiro 7.3
Heavy Object 7.3
Galko 7.1
Phantom 6.9
Dagashi 6.9
BBB: 6.5
Nurse: 6.1

MAL and Hummingbird are pretty consistent in this....

Szadek

Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV - Ep. 1
Well, that was bad.
From the rapid fire expostion (There was a war,we lost. The end), over the boring characters and doing boring to the shitty to fight scene where most enemies weren't even fighting back.
A few sconds earlier they werealso talking about how these enemies are suppsoed to be a big deal, but then they just attack them head on.
Dropped.

I enjoyed the first season more, all things considered. S2 first half held remarkably well considering it was constant training after training, without the benefit of getting to introduce the primary cast of characters like in S1 but I still liked the latter more. I'd say every match before the last in S2 was a bit subpar and even the match against Aoba was better in S1 because of the much more pronounced Kageyama x Oikawa tension and rivalry.

I'd say I like the two seasons of Haikyuu about evenly, with perhaps a slight preference towards the second. The first half of the second season did an excellent job with character development and striving towards growth, and the second half did an excellent job of paying off that character work in Karasuno's performance during the tournament, while also doing a good job of fleshing out their opponents so that the show didn't become a battle between Good and Evil but a competition between various teams trying their best with good sportsmanship. I'm glad the second season ended again with a Karasuno vs. Seijoh match; it made a good contrast to show just how far Karasuno had come. Other than the one episode featuring a match in which Karasuno was not playing, which felt like padding, there were no episodes I was unhappy with.

I thought you disliked the show when reading your impressions, glad to see that's not the case.

I had more problems with House of Five Leaves than I expected, enough that I won't put it on an all-time favorites list, but I appreciated it on the whole. It's certainly the type of show I like to see get made.

Cornbread78

20 for Spring:

My Hero Academia
Kiznaiver
Mayoiga
Kabaneri
Sakamoto desu ga?
Sousei no Onmyouji
Flying Witch
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Joker Game
Bungou Stray Dogs
Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
Re:Zero
Bakuon!!
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable
The Asterisk War (2nd Season)
Kuromukuro
Kuma Miko
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Haifuri
Hundred

phaze

Duckroll asked for its inclusion.

Surely, he meant God Eater.

Katte ni Kaizou 1-6 END

So, this is a short set of OVAs done by Shaft, adapting a number of chapters from Koji Kumeta's, the mangaka behind Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, previous long running work (1998-2004). And I must unfortunately say, I was distinctly underwhelmed by it. It has one decent, opening, episode but the rest feels like the collection of the most subpar SZS outings. Here too Kumeta's repetitive scheme of having one dominant issue/joke per chapter and driving it into the ground, with dozens of examples and illustrations, strikes again. The character designs, the overall aesthetic and the kind of humor is very akin to SZS so if you're very desperate for more of that, it is indeed an option but generally speaking, I'd advise against checking it out.

pbayne

No one watched this idolshit outside of you and Pbayne.
picturen6p3j.png

Hey now Sterok watched it too. And no one who watched it ever criticized it. So 100% approval rating lol.

FF 15 Brotherhood 1

Did a better job selling me on the game than the demo.

The gimmick of teleporting and summoning weapons will never not be cool. I hope the game allows you give the guys different colors though, i still hate that they all wear black its like looking at the NWO or something.

Qurupeke

Charlotte OVA

This got subbed.

It was okay. Probably better than a lot of the series' episodes. I hoped it would show stuff after the last episode, but I guess I'll have to live with the crappy ending.

Sölf

Shin Sekai Yori 04
Well, that escalated quickly. So yeah, postapocalyptic and an interesting backstory. I am intrigued as to what happend in the time period that wasn't recorded, the last ~500 years. Shit must have hit the fan.

Cornbread78

Charlotte Special
pC4YB8N.jpg

ruL24kd.jpg

I shouldn't have watched this; in this one episode they encapsulated everything I loved and hated about Charlotte. It's a touching episode set during the events of Charlotte when they crew was going about their Student Council missions before anything big happens in the story. It features Nao and Yuu trying to help a MS girl with a special ability. The banter back and forth between Nao and Yuu was amazing and watching this after the story has been completed, highlights exactly why this should have been 24 episodes and they should have been. More focus on the development between these two characters would have made the final scenes that much more impactful, which is why this is so frustrating to watch because the opportunities were there, but they rushed through it. Also, the foreshadowing in this episode was heartwarming and impactful in hindsight. Anyhow, this was a great revisit to the world of Charlotte since Nao and Yuu were definitely my favorite part of the show and their interactions were always great.

Sölf

Shin Sekai Yori 05
Well, animation quality took quite a dip in this episode. And it's only the 5th of 25. Please tell me it doesn't get much worse. D:

Dimension W 13

I'm kind of confused about what happened. Didnt answer all the questions but I suppose its a better "read the manga" ending than most other series'. Overall, I liked the show a lot.

Sölf;199764422 said:
Shin Sekai Yori 05
Well, animation quality took quite a dip in this episode. And it's only the 5th of 25. Please tell me it doesn't get much worse. D:

There are a few more poorly animated episodes later on, but the story and content of the episodes make up for it.

BluWacky

Sölf;199764422 said:
Shin Sekai Yori 05

Have you had the CG boulders yet? Once you've done that you're past the worst of it.

Sölf;199764422 said:
Shin Sekai Yori 05

I actually like Junichi Hayama's version of the character designs in episode 5 better than the normal version of the character designs. Typically the character art is not just flat in shading but also flat in expressiveness; the art in episode 5 conveys much more emotion and paints the characters as more than blank slates.

Sölf;199764422 said:
Shin Sekai Yori 05

ep6 is probably the worst. Expect some rocks with the physical attributes of paper balls.

Didnt watch many shows this season but these are my rankings

AOTS
Haikyuu! S2 + Rakugo

Good
Erased
Phantom World
Dimension W
Gundam Orphans
She and Her Cat

Mediocre but has some redeemable moments
Konosuba

What else was worth watching?

Sölf

Didnt watch many shows this season but these are my rankings

AOTS
Haikyuu! S2 + Rakugo

Good
Erased
Phantom World
Dimension W
Gundam Orphans
She and Her Cat

Mediocre but has some redeemable moments
Konosuba

What else was worth watching?

Watch Sekko Boys. And Sushi Police. They were great and especially Sushi Police is totally under appreciated in here.

Winter Rankings:

Erased: 8.8
Raku: 8.3
Ass Class: 8.1
Shirayuki: 8.1
Konosuba: 8.0
Gate: 8.0
Grimgar 7.9
Ajin 7.7
Dimension W 7.4
Nijiiro 7.3
Heavy Object 7.3
Galko 7.1
Phantom 6.9
Dagashi 6.9
BBB: 6.5
Nurse: 6.1

MAL and Hummingbird are pretty consistent in this....

No they aren't. The top rated show on MAL is Gintama° now after people spammed it with 10s to shoot it above FMA: Brothehrood. Might as well put Gintama° on the list and nothing else then.

Mailbox

We get a new thread tomorrow, right?

Sölf;199769252 said:
If I would show around my MAL score people in here would probably murder me.

Sometimes I look at me old MAL scores (I don't score anymore) and think: "What the fuck? that's a 5 at best" when I originally gave something a 7 or 8
Fucking IS

Cornbread78

People take their MAL polls seriously.

Those were just the ratings for shows that aired this past winter (1 or 2 cours), I believe that scores with 50,000+ votes is pretty valid representation of it's overall quality and can be considered valid recommendations. Obviously, it's not always right and/or just and everyone has their own opinions that are not always accounted for.

No they aren't. The top rated show on MAL is Gintama° now after people spammed it with 10s to shoot it above FMA: Brothehrood. Might as well put Gintama° on the list and nothing else then.

This is just the ratings for the shows that aired this past winter. (1-2 cours) I forgot to include Gintama, Fairy Tale, Duradurrarraarrara, etc., but they can also be added as recs, no problem; it's just an example of how that list plays out in comparison.

On no list anywhere on earth, (unless it's the shows own home page) should three of those shows appear as "recommendations" above some of the others unless we really want to troll people, lol. Ok maybe a slight embellishment, but still... Obviously, as a community, there are a ton of biases towards a few things/shows, it's very transparent which is should be... It doesn't really matter at the end of the day and whatever or however it is decided is fine by me and it's not worth rocking the boat over. It's just silly to me how these things play out at times, lol.

We get a new thread tomorrow, right?
Sometimes I look at me old MAL scores (I don't score anymore) and think: "What the fuck? that's a 5 at best" when I originally gave something a 7 or 8
Fucking IS

I believe so, it's up to BGBW. I know he usually posts them really late/early in the morning here on the east coast, lol.

I've rescored a few things now that I have seen more anime, but opinions change for everyone for some stuff.

Mailbox

I liked some sub-7(on MAL) shows in the past.

I've also disliked some high 7 shows

oddly, havent really outright hated shows above an 8...

Usually my ratings are 7 and above. Anything below that I just tend to drop. Way too much stuff to watch to settle with mediocre shows. But again an 8 for me may be someone else's 4.

Hataraku Maou-sama 12

vioWzhQ.jpg

What is this, GoHands?

That was bad, bad, bad, on so many levels, not least of which is the eye-searingly ugly post-processing you can see evidenced above. Just about all my goodwill for this series is now gone. Ugh.

The Rose of Versailles 37

When the oncoming Reign of Terror isn't tragic enough so you need to put your main characters into a doomed romance with survival chances quickly approaching zero

From the first episode it was apparent that most of the cast would perish from a historical standpoint but this is just salt in the wound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom