• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

Shaneus

Anyone here using the Sony wireless stereo ("gold") headphones? I'm guessing there isn't a profile for Wipeout given that nothing really does, but could be good for cranking the game without disturbing my wife.

Agent X

This is simply a beautiful game! I've only dabbled a little with the Wipeout HD campaign and racebox, but I've already noticed some nice little enhancements to the visuals and sounds. It's clear that a lot of love went into this project.

Unlocked Tigron team somewhere in the second WipEout HD campaign....not sure what's the unlock requirement.

It might have something to do with points. I unlocked Tigron even before finishing the first set of events in the Wipeout HD campaign.

It's nearly 2am and I've just finished a 90 minute session re-familiarising myself with HD. It's so fucking good - I'm really happy you have Wipeout back, even if it's an HD collection. I hope it sells well enough for a new instalment. I feel like Wipeout belongs on every Playstation console and it'll be a shame if that ever ends.

angelic

Banned
Played an hour and a half, apart from not announcing which music track comes up, and the blue on blue track arrows, this is brilliant. Addictive as hell, not touched WO since the vita.

Also, I dont know how I played this without 60fps, 2048 is punishing..tiny shortcuts, aggressive AI. Love it.

Unknown?

It's nearly 2am and I've just finished a 90 minute session re-familiarising myself with HD. It's so fucking good - I'm really happy you have Wipeout back, even if it's an HD collection. I hope it sells well enough for a new instalment. I feel like Wipeout belongs on every Playstation console and it'll be a shame if that ever ends.
Lol even HD's original release was an HD collection. I agree though, I want a new one. 2048 is so good though and probably new to most people buying this.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Not being able to have the Fury main menu and music is criminal

Yeah I wish there was a better solution for custom music, spotify custom playlists are nice and all but they don't sync perfectly with the game.

mindatlarge

For someone that enjoys say Mario Kart 8 on 150cc and hates 200cc, would they enjoy this game?

I'm asking for a friend.

epmode

For someone that enjoys say Mario Kart 8 on 150cc and hates 200cc, would they enjoy this game?

I'm asking for a friend.

Dunno. I don't think MK8 is really designed around 200cc. Doesn't feel right. Wipeout tracks are absolutely designed around the top speeds, although it really takes some skill.

And yeah, it gets a lot faster than Mario Kart. It may also be worth knowing that Wipeout is all about airbrakes. At high speeds, you have to lean into turns well before you reach them because it take a second for your ship to adjust to new trajectories. God, it feels great when you get the timing down.

angelic

Banned
Dunno. I don't think MK8 is really designed around 200cc. Doesn't feel right. Wipeout tracks are absolutely designed around the top speeds, although it really takes some skill.

very true. also theres no "everyones a winner" weapons. if you suck youre in last.

Shin-Ra

Going back to that sound designer interview:

”It has twice the music of previous incarnations," said Loic Couthier, supervising sound designer on the collection. ”28 licensed tracks from WipEout legends like The Prodigy & The Chemical Brothers through to unreleased tracks from breaking artists. We have a range of DSP effects applied to the music in real-time, based on gameplay. Like the reintroduced resonant high-pass filtering as you jump/fly with your ship. Plus, everything's mixed in 7.1 exclusively for the game!

”Our music supervisor, Duncan Smith, approached all labels/artists for multiple stems to enable us to dynamically pan them in real-time and up/downmix the soundtrack on-the-fly depending on speaker setup, perfectly maintaining audio quality/content no matter the channel count."
http://www.develop-online.net/interview/heard-about-wipeout-omega-collection/0232822

Maybe one day we'll be able to buy 'interactive music' in a standardised format that multiple games like WipEout Omega Collection and non-game apps can remix on the fly.

Much easier (and more lucrative) to do on a game-by-game basis though!

This game.

Is.

Nucking futs.

Absolute the business! LOVE IT!

Oh man how I would love a Jet Moto right about now.... fugggggg......

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I'm asking for a friend.

I'm not sure the games are really comparable enough to say either way. Despite the similarities on the surface (arcade racing with weapons) they have different goals. Wipeout is less chaotic with a higher skill ceiling.

mindatlarge

hell of a lot more crashing and bashing, and its way faster than 200cc.

And yeah, it gets a lot faster than Mario Kart. It may also be worth knowing that Wipeout is all about airbrakes. At high speeds, you have to lean into turns well before you reach them because it take a second for your ship to adjust to new trajectories. God, it feels great when you get the timing down.

I'm not sure the games are really comparable enough to say either way. Despite the similarities on the surface (arcade racing with weapons) they have different goals. Wipeout is less chaotic with a higher skill ceiling.

Thanks for the input, all, I appreciate it. I haven't played a WIpeout game since the PS1, so I'm way overdue. And I think you're absolutely right, MK8 just feels like 200cc was an afterthought and doesn't gel very well with many of the levels, where this game was built for speed. I'm all for a challenge and developing skill if the game design is topnotch. Gonna be snagging it this weekend for sure.

guys GUYS i just played zone mode on my PS4 in 4k in 2017

thank you Sony, i don't need any E3 megatons this year
i mean i'll take them but it's not necessary at this point

“Our music supervisor, Duncan Smith, approached all labels/artists for multiple stems to enable us to dynamically pan them in real-time and up/downmix the soundtrack on-the-fly depending on speaker setup, perfectly maintaining audio quality/content no matter the channel count.”

A bit like Dolby Atmos.

Greenymac

it's a shame too because their designs and decals are completely unique

also how the hell do I take multiple hard turns, the chengyou or whatever track is destroying me on flash
Take a turn with airbrake and turning then double tap airbrake to shift to the inside....

Shaneus

So people with the slip cover, do you think it'd be worth spending ~$50(AU) on another copy of the game just for that?

is there a single reason to not have airbrake sensitivity at 100%?

also wish we could remap the dpad and analog sticks if we wanted to

Thanks for the input, all, I appreciate it. I haven't played a WIpeout game since the PS1, so I'm way overdue. And I think you're absolutely right, MK8 just feels like 200cc was an afterthought and doesn't gel very well with many of the levels, where this game was built for speed. I'm all for a challenge and developing skill if the game design is topnotch. Gonna be snagging it this weekend for sure.

One thing to note is that WipEout starts off slow. HD & Fury speed rating: -

Venom < Flash < Rapier < Phantom

Venom might feel really slow, but it's a good introduction to the series.

2048 starts at C class and moves up.

What order are people tackling the campaigns or are ye just bouncing between them?

I started with HD campaign to unlock the rest of the team. Then move on to Fury then to 2048. Even though I've done all 3 campaigns before, it's a still blast doing it again!

also wish we could remap the dpad and analog sticks if we wanted to

What do you mean by this? Surely you can use either.

Also you can swap a lot of stuff around at a system level in accessibility (I wish they would do per game profiles for that stuff).

Edit :Beaten again.

I started with HD campaign to unlock the rest of the team. Then move on to Fury then to 2048. Even though I've done all 3 campaigns before, it's a still blast doing it again!

Cool thanks, I think I'll do the same. I've only dabbled I'm Fury and 2048.

dracula_x

fQHFsdX.gif

I wish shields were more forgiving at lower difficulty levels, maybe have them recharge over time slowly or something, I keep getting literally destroyed on this warped race.

holy fuck i finally got it, bronze but i was a pad away from getting gold

I saw that this came out today and immediately purchased it. I clearly have not been paying attention, I thought this was coming later in the summer.

Dash_

Perfection. What a beautiful game.

I love that the ships have their own voices for the weapons now, and that the accent for registering them is dependent on where they're from.

And the 1-2-3 countdown using the Amiga 1200 voice synth like 2097 did... yeah, this collection has had a lot of love.

What I would give for an action-adventure or an RPG set in this world.

Shin-Ra

Useful ship selection advice from the online manual:

IN WIPEOUT 2048

The ships in Wipeout 2048 have a Firepower stat that affects the power of certain weapons. Ships with higher Firepower stats can, for example, shoot up to three Rockets at once instead of one.

Also consider that each ship is barred from using certain weapons: look to the bottom right corner of the ship select screen to see which weapons are unobtainable.
  • Speed and Agility ships will be given Mines instead of Bombs
  • Fighter ships will be given Bombs instead of Mines
Each team has its own "prototype" ship unlocked after completing special Events, so be sure to read that ship's description to see what makes it unique.

IN WIPEOUT HD and WIPEOUT HD FURY

The Wipeout HD and Wipeout HD Fury campaigns feature a total of 7 ships per team. Only 2 are available at the start, but it's possible to unlock more by building your Loyalty stat for each team. Loyalty points are awarded on a team-by-team basis by completing events.

The Thrust stat determines the rate at which that ship accelerates.
Nice high-res logo there too.
WipEoutOmegaLOGO.png

Top Bottom