• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

So just looking at the store page, it looks like physical owners of the game miss out on:
Dynamic theme
Can Uber ship
Digital art book
and 4 team avatars

Feeling a bit ripped off, to be honest :/

I got a code for the for static themes inside my steelbook.

Not sure if Europe gets them, but I can confirm that North America does get a couple of these in the physical edition. From Amazon.ca:

emailed: 4 static themes
in the game case: 4 team avatars, Van Uber ship

No dynamic theme or digital art book, as far as I'm aware.

Shaneus

If it's any consolation, the game's quite good.

The Van Über team is really good though. Feel bad for anybody who missed out on it.
Ah man, so there's no other way to get that team? That is actually bullshit.

Guess if I want it, it'll cost me $45AU.

Not sure if Europe gets them, but I can confirm that North America does get a couple of these in the physical edition. From Amazon.ca:

emailed: 4 static themes
in the game case: 4 team avatars, Van Uber ship

No dynamic theme or digital art book, as far as I'm aware.
We got the static themes in the steelbook, in the game case we got... nothing. A tiny leaflet with the controls on one side and an ad for PS+ on the other.

Fucking lame.

Thanks.
Going to have so much fun with this, it's been ages since I played HD.

No worries; happy to see everyone enjoying this. Wipeout is bar-none my favorite series, so this whole release has been music for me.

Posting this again, but if anyone wants to hit me up on PSN (ID gmrtom7) for some races, just add me. I'm thinking about putting together something of a GAF league!

RSchmitz

I never played a lot of WipEout, my only experience was a couple races on PSP but I dropped it since I really don´t like playing in portable devices.
Just got into this one, is it ok to start on any career mode? I started on 2048 and passed it. Did well on like half of them, mostly the combat ones, and just passed the rest.
Was I supposed to destroy this first campaign? I think I´ll really struggle as rank goes up.

You need to hold the share button in. It's an odd way for them to have done it.

Ah amazing thank you. I knew there must be a trick. How odd though - and not indicated anywhere AFAIK

You can go into photo mode when a race has finished, but I haven't seen another way to do it. Kinda makes sense to be honest, as the speed is so insane that pausing mid-race to position the camera and take a screenshot would definitely affect the flow.

Its selectable from the pause menu during races most definitely.

I never played a lot of WipEout, my only experience was a couple races on PSP but I dropped it since I really don´t like playing in portable devices.
Just got into this one, is it ok to start on any career mode? I started on 2048 and passed it. Did well on like half of them, mostly the combat ones, and just passed the rest.
Was I supposed to destroy this first campaign? I think I´ll really struggle as rank goes up.

Yeah, 2048 and HD were originally different games, so it's fine to start with either of them. 2048 will get more difficult through the next two years of the campaign, but you'll also improve! I wouldn't say that you were meant to destroy it; if you're passing most everything you should be in good shape. You can also always come back and elite pass the rest if you wish.

Greenymac

No worries; happy to see everyone enjoying this. Wipeout is bar-none my favorite series, so this whole release has been music for me.

Posting this again, but if anyone wants to hit me up on PSN (ID gmrtom7) for some races, just add me. I'm thinking about putting together something of a GAF league!

Sent you a request yesterday but haven't done any online yet. I need to come to grips with the 2048 tracks a bit first. I played some of them, but didn't continue on vita due to screen size and controls.

Hedrush

The Sony X850C (my TV) is a great 4k TV. It has deep and uniform blacks, little motion blur, and great 1080p upscaling - from the review on Rtings.com

This is my TV also. The game looks spectacular on it.

Ah amazing thank you. I knew there must be a trick. How odd though - and not indicated anywhere AFAIK

Its selectable from the pause menu during races most definitely.

Yeah it's odd, even with easy screenshot setting you still need to hold the share button in to hide the whole photo mode HUD. I don't get why they just didn't hide the whole thing when you press the touchpad. A minor niggle though in an incredible game. They will probably fix this in a future patch I would think as a lot of people are having the same trouble trying to work out how to do it.

OHyZvwq.gif

Hey guys, I have two questions for people who already own the game and possibly played the PS3 version.

When I used to play music from my PS3 harddrive, it would incorporate in to the game very well and change depending on the in game scenario (getting hit with a blast would change it for a ringing before fading back in etc) does this game still do this on PS4 when using Spotify?

Can you play through the single player content in split screen mode?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to getting my copy later this afternoon!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is it just me or is 2048 a lot harder than the other two games. It looks great but I don't find it as much fun to play.

I'm almost done with elite gold'ing the 2049 campaign (second set in 2048) and I'd say its more like the difficulty is all over the place. It will be 2 or 3 levels of absolutely trivial non-challenge and then all of a sudden a time trial or zone mode will absolutely stonewall me. Even some combat mode levels, while mostly easy, are hard to gold in rare cases.

The actual races against the AI are easy in 2048 tho lol. The Elite AI in HD puts up more of a fight.

Ah man, so there's no other way to get that team? That is actually bullshit.

Guess if I want it, it'll cost me $45AU.

Fucking lame.

I know it's not perfect, but you could just wait till the digital one goes on sale. By then they might also sell it as a seperate DLC item (despite what XDEV have tweeted). Van Uber isn't pre-order exclusive, so you can be patient and wait til it is cheaper theoretically. If it's any consolation, there's plenty of other ships and it isn't anything that special.

That looks awesome, please make more! Also, anyone else got some choice shots they'd like to share? Vineta K is particularly photogenic.

Is it just me or is 2048 a lot harder than the other two games. It looks great but I don't find it as much fun to play.

2048 doesn't have AI difficulty settings. HD and Fury do, but they're semi-hidden--hit Square to switch between Novice, Skilled and Elite. Elite is pretty devastating if you're not prepared.

WipedOut

It's not just you. I've never played the 2048 tracks, I think I got them down fairly well and I still struggle on them at times. Mostly the Races, AI seems to be juiced up.

xrnzaaas

How does the game look on the standard PS4? Can't find any comparisons on youtube, only with the PS3 version.

dracula_x

old article, but still – http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-22-wipeout-the-rise-and-fall-of-sony-studio-liverpool

A year before the Vita would go on sale in February 2012, Studio Liverpool was given the go ahead to make a new WipEout game.

"The team was so well-oiled by that point," he says. "The core of the team had been there for such a long time that, I always said, if you left those guys in a room long enough they'd make a WipEout by accident. It was really smooth getting that game out. It was a lot of fun. We could get stuff up and running really quickly. Probably the most fun I had at that studio was getting WipEout 2048 made and then helping to promote that for the Vita launch."

"It turned out well," says Eggleton. "We were pleased with it. It's a shame we couldn't end up doing more with it, really. We had limited time and a lot of things in mind for following it up with downloads. But, obviously, it wasn't to be."

about WipEout HD:

"WipEout HD only happened because of Andrew Jones," says former WipEout lead designer Karl Jones. Andrew did some "black ops coding" off his own back to create a demo of what the PSP WipEout would look like running at 60 frames per second in 1080p. The demo wowed his colleagues and sparked development of what would become WipEout HD for PS3.

Now, five years later, Andrew Jones is modest about his role on the project. "There is some truth to what Karl said," he says. "I was looking at a few rendering demos and bits of code. I wanted to try out some shader effects and motion blur. And an extremely useful resource to do that was PSP assets for WipEout. So I, as a little side project, knocked together a rendering demo that incorporated camera shake and motion blur.

"Seeing that made a few people have a little bit of interest in the idea of using those assets and firing up a PS3 version. It's obviously a lot more complicated that that. The business side of things and what things were being planned... it's nowhere near as clear cut as Karl made out."

"Yes it is," Karl counters. "The fact remains that WipEout HD would not have happened had Andy not made that demo."

cucuchu

How does everyone have their buttons mapped? I only really played the original Wipeout on the original Playstation so I admit I have no idea what the norm is but pressing X to accelerate felt off to me so I mapped R2 for accelerate, L2 for use item, L1 and R1 for the clutch turns. Plays much more naturally for me now.

Really enjoying the campaigns so far and might jump into some multiplayer tonight to check that part out. The visuals are insane in 4k w/ HDR on my Samsung 8500 and finally some solid drum and bass tracks to make use of my soundbar/subwoofer. I was hesitant on picking this up but sure as shit glad I did now!

Carn82

How does everyone have their buttons mapped? I only really played the original Wipeout on the original Playstation so I admit I have no idea what the norm is but pressing X to accelerate felt off to me so I mapped R2 for accelerate, L2 for use item, L1 and R1 for the clutch turns. Plays much more naturally for me now.

Still have to change mine but I think I prefer the airbrakes on L1/R1, tapping them feels more secure (to me) than using the triggers

RSchmitz

Really enjoying the campaigns so far and might jump into some multiplayer tonight to check that part out. The visuals are insane in 4k w/ HDR on my Samsung 8500 and finally some solid drum and bass tracks to make use of my soundbar/subwoofer. I was hesitant on picking this up but sure as shit glad I did now!

The only thing I changed was air breaks from triggers to L1 an R1. I don´t like doing consecutive presses on triggers.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Tip: the zone 65 trophy only needs to be done for 1 game or the other. Syncopia is still the easiest way to get it. Getting 65 in 2048 zone mode does not unlock anything after you have the trophy already.

I've been using default. I thought about switching the airbrakes to R1/L1 for a bit, though. I've been playing Wipeout XL recently (stupid @!#%^* phantom challenge 1) and it uses pretty much the same controls. I've also been playing Formula Fusion and that uses the same setup except they move weapons to L1/R1, which takes a little bit of getting used to but feels pretty natural as well.

Daffy Duck

You don't need to remap anything the digital buttons can be used if you prefer to manoeuvre you ship that way rather than analog.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound dense but I am just not getting this whole analogue buttons vs digital buttons thing for air brakes....

Are the R2/L2 buttons analogue and the R1/L1 buttons digital?

I looked in the control settings last night and couldn't see anything that mentioned any difference, or am I totally not getting some basic info here?

Phew, Zone 122 on first go of Empire Climb, world #4. Didnt even break a sweat. Reckon I can easily get 150 with some practice. Coming for you feisar_2097 :p

cucuchu

I've been using default. I thought about switching the airbrakes to R1/L1 for a bit, though. I've been playing Wipeout XL recently (stupid @!#%^* phantom challenge 1) and it uses pretty much the same controls. I've also been playing Formula Fusion and that uses the same setup except they move weapons to L1/R1, which takes a little bit of getting used to but feels pretty natural as well.

Fair enough... it just feels so odd to me to hold down X the entire time but really the only racing game I have played lately is Horizon 3 so its probably just conditioning. I'm glad they gave us the options to map to whatever we want though rather than picking from presets.

Carn82

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound dense but I am just not getting this whole analogue buttons vs digital buttons thing for air brakes....

Are the R2/L2 buttons analogue and the R1/L1 buttons digital?

I believe that on the DualShock4 the facebuttons (X, O, square, triangle) are digital, and the shoulder buttons (bumpers (L1/R1) and triggers (L2/R2) ) are analogue. But the triggers have more action (i believe this is the right term) to them, so you have to push them 'more' to get the same effect as with the bumpers. So having airbrakes on L1/R1 is 'quicker' to use.

WipedOut

I'm using the xbox one elite controller, Analog control is so much better with the sticks and the paddles are a dream to use.

I have fire and the absorb mapped to them

Top Bottom