• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

-Amon-

it feels so good to play Wipeout again. And in 4K it is a beauty. i did not try turning motion blur off until now. and it is a nice bonus, as 2048 is new to me. great design.
how do most of you steer? digipad or sticks? pad seems always more precise for me.

Absolutely sticks, you bleed too much speed in long corners with digital imput.

ianpm31

Is it just me or does 2048 seem like the better game (HUD, controls, etc) compared to HD?

Still all great games but I was playing 2048 for awhile first then went over to HD and noticed the differences...

nq4rKQz.gif

SUNHIIIIIIIII

Bumhead

Banned
This is wasted on the press. =/

Completely agree. I'd definitely have bought this, and it's difficult to put a figure on how much I'd have paid for that ship some of them got.

Not to sound salty (I totally am) but I do think it's shit only "press" get these. Even if you still kept the quantities limited, surely you could make enough of this stuff to sell to fans as well even if it's a mark up.

I still don't think Sony do anywhere enough to capitalise on those fans who entered gaming with the PlayStation and are now in the 30's, with the disposable income and the nostalgia to buy this stuff. Wipeout especially lends itself so well to that in a non-nerdy/videogamey way.

-Amon-

Is it just me or does 2048 seem like the better game (HUD, controls, etc) compared to HD?

Still all great games but I was playing 2048 for awhile first then went over to HD and noticed the differences...

I find 2048 graphically superior but I prefer track design, ship handling, and weapons in HD.

I still don't think Sony do anywhere enough to capitalise on those fans who entered gaming with the PlayStation and our now in the 30's, with the disposable income and the nostalgia to buy this stuff. Wipeout especially lends itself so well to that in a non-nerdy/videogamey way.

I've said it before, Sony could probably make some bank with gaming merch for their franchises, like figures, limited edition steelbooks and vinyl soundtracks.

Calabi

I'm really disappointed in this. I'm playing the game and the music sounds a bit quiet so I go into the audio menu and find the Music Volume is only at 80 percent, 80 percent? What the hell? I play these games for the music, the fusion of music and motion in particular. DriveClub was a damp squib because of this. Please fix this K thx bye.

Its pretty good otherwise.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Final came and it's a steelbook + game, no slip sadly
Which is a shame as I already had it preordered at Amazon for £24.99 with the steelbook.
Never mind, I have to say the standard cover is very nice too.

SkylineRKR

I played HD with the D-pad on Ps3, its probably still fine to do so.

2048 is the best Wipeout imo. And it wasn't even 60fps on Vita.

HD is one of the weakest. Its still good, but I didn't like the art direction much. I greatly prefer 2 and 2048. 3 Special edition also, probably.

You're not alone. I'm playing the HD campaign on Skilled as I don't have faith in myself to handle Elite. I'm proof that having a Wipeout avatar does not necessarily make you good at the game.

I've worshiped WipEout since 1995 or whatever and I am and have always been middling at best.

First time playing 2048 and why is it so punishing? Feel like I have to run the race of my life everytime to place 1st.

Really cool otherwise though, I didn't realize they mixed street/ground areas with the elevated tracks. I dig the overall art direction of it. I love the announcer too.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
is it weird to play with the dpad?
also someone explain the bars at the bottom. do i have boost power, so to speak?

I play with the dpad and I platinumed Wipeout HD Fury on ps3. Well on my way to platinuming this game. There are people in this thread who play with stick tho. I'm sure it works for them.

The main trick with wipeout is just learning to airbrake around corners. You should not be taking your thumb off the acceleration ever*. Once you got that down, then you tackle situation specific moves like sideshifting, barrel rolls, and adjusting pitch. Pitch in particular is very situational.

*For combat mode in 2048 it can actually be beneficial to slow down to make sure you pick up weapons. Also in zone mode you do not have to accelerate, it will do it automatically for you.

thanks for the tip sub.. that's how i play Mario kart anyway. it's all about nuance.

which is the best game to start with? i played a few events I'm 2048 now i switched to HD. seems more forgiving.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
thanks for the tip sub.. which is the best game to start with? i played a few events I'm 2048 now i switched to HD. seems more forgiving.

HD is easier for sure and you can adjust the difficulty in that one when it gets too easy.

ScOULaris

The main trick with wipeout is just learning to airbrake around corners. You should not be taking your thumb off the acceleration ever*. Once you got that down, then you tackle situation specific moves like sideshifting, barrel rolls, and adjusting pitch. Pitch in particular is very situational.

This is what I struggle with. I'm just using the default controls as of now, and when it comes to negotiating sharp turns I can never get air braking to feel right. I usually just tap the air brake briefly while taking the turn and leaning into it, but more often than not I'll end up turning my craft so sharply that I slam right into the wall. If I don't use airbakes I won't take the turn sharply enough and will slam into the other wall.

Side-shifting feels pretty natural and has saved my ass quite a few times, but I feel like I'm relying on it too much.

This is going to be what forces me into getting a PS4 finally. I had been holding off, but last time it was Wipeout HD that pushed me into getting a PS3, and I need as much antigrav racing as possible.

NXGamer

Tomorrow this game is mine! Can't wait!

Hi there, how is the HDR looking in this game on your 55" 4K TV? Impressive? :)
Really, really good. The bright colours, sharp textures and warm, orange, tone just suits the panel. Such a vivid colour palette mixed with Neons, dark sections it really pops.

Griss

Just played for the first time. Loved both 2048 and HD Fury in their previous guises.

My first thought was that it wasn't quite as graphically impressive as I thought - HD Fury already had a super-clean IQ, but now the fact that the lighting is super basic really marks it out as a last gen game. Once you get over that, though, it's still a beauty. I just loved the art style used from the ships to the transparent tracks to the corporate logos.

I do think that 2048 has lost a little bit in the upgrade, though. The whole point of it on Vita was the original, more gritty anti-grav racing series - a blend of the normal industrial and the futuristic. On the Vita in low-res, that graininess and grittiness shone through. Felt like the series had really gone back to the past. With the 4k upgrade, that sense of a grimier, less futuristic series has been lost a bit. Nitpicking for sure, and there was no way to avoid this probably. But the tracks 'feel' different to me in terms of tone in this newer presentation. HD Fury is totally unaffected by this, of course. Overall it looks like a fabulous port job.

I do wish you didn't have to slog through some class C races - so slow! Same with Zone, I wish you started on Zone 20.

Also, I just did the first Zone race in 2048 and died on zone 59. Why do I have the terrible feeling that zone 60 was the elite pass mark?

I've worshiped WipEout since 1995 or whatever and I am and have always been middling at best.

Novice-only player here.

I suck at racing games but Wipeout on novice makes me feel competent. I really just want to complete all the event grids and unlock ships is all. We have fun with games for our own reasons. :)

Also: I finally played detonator and the battle mode (can't remember what it's called) last night and now I suddenly want a spin-off wipeout game that's purely battle modes and minigames.

Fun stuff!

*For combat mode in 2048 it can actually be beneficial to slow down to make sure you pick up weapons. Also in zone mode you do not have to accelerate, it will do it automatically for you.
This is super helpful and I wish there were posts like this in every racing game OT. Thanks!

WipedOut

I used to be better when I could play Wipeout 1-3 all the time, skills have declined over the years. Not horrible but not the greatest.

I'm also trying to learn to use analogue over the d-pad. So basically learning to play the game all over again, it's quite a different feel.

NXGamer

I was also in from the start, club culture and music was a big deal for it and me, such a big game and series, love we can re enjoy it all over again, but better than ever.

The trick is to be smooth, accelerate always, use air brakes (specially double tap for quicker turns). Pick a ship that has top speed/acceleration and learn tracks from that as you can recover faster and you get used to the speed.

Also don't be afraid to fire your weapon off and waste it when the next pickup comes along, like Mario kart you may get a boost or autopilot rather than keeping a Canon or plasma.

Griss

That might be the main trick for beginners but at intermediate speeds and above the main trick is really learning the tracks. There's at least one corner one each track that is extremely hard to 'read' at top speed on the higher levels, and you need to automatically know where to enter and exit to avoid crashing.

Leads to the classic wipeout feeling of "I can't believe I butchered that corner on every single lap!"

Stat!

I play with the dpad and I platinumed Wipeout HD Fury on ps3. Well on my way to platinuming this game. There are people in this thread who play with stick tho. I'm sure it works for them.

I had no idea airbrakes were that useful and to never not be accelerating.

Any other tips for beginners?

Top Bottom