• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

zooL

yeah the game looks glorious on my 1080p OLED... downsampling on the mode without motion blur looks really clean. too bad my TV does not support HDR, does it make a huge difference on OLEDs? i read that on OLEDs the difference is not that big... but maybe thats just wishful thinking! :)

Yeah, this is stunning.

Just so happy to be playing it.

Also, is it me or have they beefed up the audio in this game.. like, significantly? As big a fan as I am of this series it has been a while since I've played either HD or 2048, so I can't remember what they sounded like. But I played the first race of HD, activated a Turbo and.. it blew me away. Sounded unbeleivable.

The game is obviously visually stunning and unrivalled in terms of style, but it's the audio that's jumped out at me with this release. Anyone else?

Yes mate I have thought this myself!

Yogg

It's funny how club culture and WipEout are so 'connected', playing the Omega collection makes me wish I was 20 years younger and still clubbing weekly lol.

2097 had the Redbull brand plastered on every building in every track, and the biggest names in the OST. There was a clear target towards the night clubbing "neon" crowd. I loved that game so much.

Zone mode is pretty easy on Sol 2 to get to around zone 80-90 since there's no barriers

Btw I'm making a spotify playlist as well

Rephil

long time wipeout fans, please help: is it just me, or does phantom class feel slower than usual?
and why the hell did they add those annoying car-sounds on the ships?!
..otherwise, great game! so happy to play this on ps4! :D

Was it always possible to barrel roll in 2048 Zone mode? Considering it has no use in that particular mode, and due to quick "left-right-left" manoeuvres being made in later zones, it seems like more of an inconvenience as it drains 15 points of health.

Unknown?

Yeah, this is stunning.

Also, is it me or have they beefed up the audio in this game.. like, significantly? As big a fan as I am of this series it has been a while since I've played either HD or 2048, so I can't remember what they sounded like. But I played the first race of HD, activated a Turbo and.. it blew me away. Sounded unbeleivable.

The game is obviously visually stunning and unrivalled in terms of style, but it's the audio that's jumped out at me with this release. Anyone else?
They definitely upgraded the sounds of HD/Fury and even gave them those sounds the ships had in 2048. I love it, the sound matches it's visuals finally!

Croash

Time to compete for the top Anulpha Pass Zone leaderboards, again. I have a 248,000 Score to beat. Can't believe it's been 8 years. Eight. Years. WHAT.

Quoting myself because... Holy fucking shit. I'm going to need a moment. Sorry about the upcoming wall of text!

My WipEout "Mr. Leaderboard" story finally has some closure, so I guess now is a good time to write about it and move on. (An odd thing to say on a release day!)

See, back in 2009 I discovered the joys of Zone mode, and I kept on playing that lovely Anulpha Pass circuit to death (probably because of a Zone 120 video on YouTube achieved on AP). So while making my way to the game's Platinum Trophy to master it all, I kept on training on AP.

I eventually got ~ 258,500 points (not 248K like I said before) with Zone 84. A super sweet performance, I was more than satisfied with it!

Still, I adored that game, so I kept on playing throughout 2009 and one day I made it to Zone 91. You can probably imagine the rush, the excitement of finally going beyond an already hard zone to reach. However, Mr. Leaderboard was not happy with it.

See, Zone 91 is cool and all, but I most likely didn't perform as many barrel rolls, as many perfect zones or laps, and so my score was also ~258,500... only 100 points below the previous one. I was so excited about reaching 91, even managed to perform a perfect lap after 80, but 84 remained my best run. Argh!!

During the past 8 years, WipEout HD remained a game I launched for the occasional Zone, sometimes losing before Zone 75 due to a lack of training or focus, rarely reaching 80 and beyond again. My score was out of reach no matter how many times I told myself "This is it".

So today I go grab my WipEout Omega pre-order thinking, eh, why don't I give it a serious shot before I start re-learning the game at my pace. To me that meant not giving up on barrel rolls and such until at least Zone 50, etc.

Forgive me for the phone camera photos, no time to think, even after typing this I'm still shaking.

So this happened on my first attempt said:
1496869541-screenshot-20170607-230505.png

1496869546-screenshot-20170607-230511.png

1496869608-screenshot-20170607-230518.png

Mr. Leaderboard and I are best friends now.

Still got it!

Zone Mode, I love you. 8 years later and the adrenaline has never been this strong.

I don't even know if I want to play through the rest of my newly purchased WipEout Omega more than occasionally, as this success was to be an ending, not a beginning, but does it matter? I've just experienced one of the best feelings I've ever had playing a video game, and it was 8 years in the making.

My post isn't about showing-off, just in case, it simply is a love letter, a warm farewell, and probably a new start, eventually...

I can hear it, 60FPS Sol, calling to me. Maybe not today! :S

I hope you all enjoy your time with WipEout, my fellow gaffers, whether you're veterans or newcomers. Here's to hoping we get a proper sequel!

Cheers, and race on! :)

PS: #TeamFeisar <3

missile

Quoting myself because... Holy fucking shit. I'm going to need a moment. Sorry about the upcoming wall of text!

My WipEout "Mr. Leaderboard" story finally has some closure, so I guess now is a good time to write about it and move on. (An odd thing to say on a release day!)

See, back in 2009 I discovered the joys of Zone mode, and I kept on playing that lovely Anulpha Pass circuit to death (probably because of a Zone 120 video on YouTube achieved on AP). So while making my way to the game's Platinum Trophy to master it all, I kept on training on AP.

I eventually got ~ 258,500 points (not 248K like I said before) with Zone 84. A super sweet performance, I was more than satisfied with it!

Still, I adored that game, so I kept on playing throughout 2009 and one day I made it to Zone 91. You can probably imagine the rush, the excitement of finally going beyond an already hard zone to reach. However, Mr. Leaderboard was not happy with it.

See, Zone 91 is cool and all, but I most likely didn't perform as many barrel rolls, as many perfect zones or laps, and so my score was also ~258,500... only 100 points below the previous one. I was so excited about reaching 91, even managed to perform a perfect lap after 80, but 84 remained my best run. Argh!!

During the past 8 years, WipEout HD remained a game I launched for the occasional Zone, sometimes losing before Zone 75 due to a lack of training or focus, rarely reaching 80 and beyond again. My score was out of reach no matter how many times I told myself "This is it".

So today I go grab my WipEout Omega pre-order thinking, eh, why don't I give it a serious shot before I start re-learning the game at my pace. To me that meant not giving up on barrel rolls and such until at least Zone 50, etc.

Forgive me for the phone camera photos, no time to think, even after typing this I'm still shaking.

Still got it!

Zone Mode, I love you. 8 years later and the adrenaline has never been this strong.

I don't even know if I want to play through the rest of my newly purchased WipEout Omega more than occasionally, as this success was to be an ending, not a beginning, but does it matter? I've just experienced one of the best feelings I've ever had playing a video game, and it was 8 years in the making.

My post isn't about showing-off, just in case, it simply is a love letter, a warm farewell, and probably a new start, eventually...

I can hear it, 60FPS Sol, calling to me. Maybe not today! :S

I hope you all enjoy your time with WipEout, my fellow gaffers, whether you're veterans or newcomers. Here's to hoping we get a proper sequel!

Cheers, and race on! :)

PS: #TeamFeisar <3
You know ProblemSolver?

Neverwas

2097 had the Redbull brand plastered on every building in every track, and the biggest names in the OST. There was a clear target towards the night clubbing "neon" crowd. I loved that game so much.

Redbull wasn't available here when XL/2097 released. "Powered by Redbull" left me thinking, for a few years, that Redbull was Psygnosis's game engine. When I finally saw a can in my local store, I was kind of blown away, in that "my entire life has been a lie" sort of way.

Croash

It's me. :) Thx for the flower!

I once ran zone 135 on AP on WOHD.

From one anti-grav racer to another, here's a huge, huge hug from Paris! It's really awesome meet you here. :)

Argh, don't give me another impossible objective so quickly, you monster!! &#128562;

Damn 2048 is brutal for noobs. You basically have to take every track shortcut to win. Going to stick with HD on novice for now until I feel better about myself lol.

Yogg

Redbull wasn't available here when XL/2097 released. "Powered by Redbull" left me thinking, for a few years, that Redbull was Psygnosis's game engine. When I finally saw a can in my local store, I was kind of blown away, in that "my entire life has been a lie" sort of way.

Same for me ! I realized it's a drink only years later haha. It wasn't distributed where I lived back then (XL side). That game got me into Prodigy and Chemical Brothers. I'm rambling because my game was supposed to be delivered today and it wasn't, sorry.

RodzTF

Maybe fellow Yorkshiremen can relate to this - anyone catch when the 2048 female announcer says turbo as "tur-bohhh" with a deep Yorkshire twang...

Something about the way she says "shield active" too, it's almost kid-like. Weird inconsistencies to pick out I know.

Why are there different difficulties in zone mode for HD and fury ugh, they're all the same difficulty it's just different stages cleared and they don't take in to account people going over. I got like a 25 stage clear on novice and while that would have been enough to get a gold medal on elite, it didn't count.

Also what does airbase sensitivity do?

Also also is it weird that I still hold down accelerate for zone mode,I realized after a game or two I didn't have to but I feel like it'll improve my muscle memory for the non zone events.

epmode

Yeah, this is stunning.

I agree. I immediately noticed the engine sounds on the other racers. I honestly couldn't remember hearing them in HD/Fury but Omega's all pod racing with the awesome engine sounds. I love it.

I agree. I immediately noticed the engine sounds on the other racers. I honestly couldn't remember hearing them in HD/Fury but Omega's all pod racing with the awesome engine sounds. I love it.

Yep, this is one complaint I always had with previous wipeouts. You are flying a ship doing 1000kph but the engine sound is like someone gently blowing in your face. Its still not great here but its definitely better than before.

Carn82

Yeah, this is stunning.

Read this :)

http://www.develop-online.net/interview/heard-about-wipeout-omega-collection/0232822

Hedrush

Yeah, this is stunning.

I loaded up the techno profile to my Sony headset put it on and upped the volume to max. The sound of the cannon shots and the missiles whizzing past my ship, the turbo as it kicks and the techno beats thumping in my bleeding ears is just incredible. If you've got a headset this game deserves to be played with it on.

Deimo5

I hit a guy online with back to back plasma then rockets in about 5 seconds. Should I feel bad that made me laugh. At least it didn't destroy his ship.

Yep, this is one complaint I always had with previous wipeouts. You are flying a ship doing 1000kph but the engine sound is like someone gently blowing in your face. Its still not great here but its definitely better than before.

I remember from HD/Fury there was a sound when you hit the acceleration, a thunder bang like when a plane hits the sound barrier. I haven't heard it in Omega yet.

at what level does everyone set their Airbrake sensitivity to?

personally, i have it at 10% (basically on/off) on R1/L1, but I find that I have to turn it up whenever i play zone, since digital airbrakes are basically suicide at high zone levels

4 people playing this on my friends list and saw a few others earlier.

Anecdotal but it seems like a lot.

Hope it's selling well.

Shaneus

This is wasted on the press. =/
Yo, we heard you guys really don't mind this particular franchise, so we're going to send you a bunch of cool shit associated with it. Feel free to put it on eBay for a stupid price or whatever.

4 people playing this on my friends list and saw a few others earlier.

Anecdotal but it seems like a lot.

Hope it's selling well.
Think any of them have a spare code for Van Uber?

JamboGT

What a great day of WipEout, HD done, Zico defeated, on final season of 2048 and a decent amount of online!

Love it!!

Also managed a world number 1 spot, Moa Therma on Rapier! Who knows how long that will last.

Beautiful story Croash <3

Damn 2048 is brutal for noobs. You basically have to take every track shortcut to win. Going to stick with HD on novice for now until I feel better about myself lol.

That's weird, I'm finding the 2048 campaign to be an absolute cakewalk at the moment. Like, by the first lap I'll be in 1st place and won't see or hear from the AI again and just plod along to the finish line.

Maybe fellow Yorkshiremen can relate to this - anyone catch when the 2048 female announcer says turbo as "tur-bohhh" with a deep Yorkshire twang...

Something about the way she says "shield active" too, it's almost kid-like. Weird inconsistencies to pick out I know.

Yeah, my friend and I joked with 2048 it sounds like she's saying 'shit' instead of 'shield' haha.

How does pitch work without motion sensors? Do you control it with the left analog/dpad?

If so is there a way to invert it so when I point forward on the stick my ship goes down and when I pull back it goes up... like an actual ship.

How does pitch work without motion sensors? Do you control it with the left analog/dpad?

If so is there a way to invert it so when I point forward on the stick my ship goes down and when I pull back it goes up... like an actual ship.

That... Is how it works?

Push top d-pad, ship nose goes down, push bottom d-pad, ship nose goes up. Same with left stick.

Also, CoLD SToRAGE's 'SlipStream Volumes 1 & 2 will be available from iTunes, Spotify, Google App Store and other digital vendors as of 15th June'. This means all of Tim's classic, remastered WipEout tracks will be available to stream while playing Omega Collection :D

I remember Next Generation's feature on WipEout like it was yesterday.

bkdippI.jpg

I still have my copy of this magazine. It's what made me buy WipEout on my PlayStation at launch.

One of the few PlayStation games that I actually completed. I loved that game like a brother.

Top Bottom