• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

WipedOut

That might be the main trick for beginners but at intermediate speeds and above the main trick is really learning the tracks. There's at least one corner one each track that is extremely hard to 'read' at top speed on the higher levels, and you need to automatically know where to enter and exit to avoid crashing.

Leads to the classic wipeout feeling of "I can't believe I butchered that corner on every single lap!"

the main trick really is anticipating the turns, It's quite different than that of road racers. You brake and accelerate in those where in wipeout you never take your foot off the gas.

NXGamer

I had no idea airbrakes were that useful and to never not be accelerating.

Any other tips for beginners?
Posting this from end of last page:-

I was also in from the start, club culture and music was a big deal for it and me, such a big game and series, love we can re enjoy it all over again, but better than ever.

The trick is to be smooth, accelerate always, use air brakes (specially double tap for quicker turns). Pick a ship that has top speed/acceleration and learn tracks from that as you can recover faster and you get used to the speed.

Also don't be afraid to fire your weapon off and waste it when the next pickup comes along, like Mario kart you may get a boost or autopilot rather than keeping a Canon or plasma.

Can you fire weapons like missiles and quakes backwards? Was that a thing? Why do I think that was a thing?
Flip (L1 by default, I switched it to square) in some modes like elimination and fire them backwards

I won an event last night by turning around and nailing someone with the cannon and it felt amazing

Nyx

Posting this from end of last page:-

I was also in from the start, club culture and music was a big deal for it and me, such a big game and series, love we can re enjoy it all over again, but better than ever.

The trick is to be smooth, accelerate always, use air brakes (specially double tap for quicker turns). Pick a ship that has top speed/acceleration and learn tracks from that as you can recover faster and you get used to the speed.

Also don't be afraid to fire your weapon off and waste it when the next pickup comes along, like Mario kart you may get a boost or autopilot rather than keeping a Canon or plasma.

It's funny how club culture and WipEout are so 'connected', playing the Omega collection makes me wish I was 20 years younger and still clubbing weekly lol.

NXGamer

Alright, great stuff! And i appreciate what you do, keep it up! ;-)
Nws, and thank you
Or absorb them for a quick shield heal.
Doh, yes of course that as well, my bad forgetting that.
It's funny how club culture and WipEout are so 'connected', playing the Omega collection makes me wish I was 20 years younger and still clubbing weekly lol.
It came from a target influence in using Designer's Republic and latching into the drug/rave culture of the time, I am with you on that for sure. I love the zone you can get into with the game and music plays a huge part of that.

RAIDEN1

Just want to say the HD version on PS3 still holds up well in 1080p, might not be the 4k wonder...past few months I've engaged in it like I haven't before though I am likely to get this version as it provides more than HD does..

Mandelbo

I have a quick question - one of my favourite things to do in the original Wipeout HD was play zone mode with my own music and take in all the cool track effects. Does this version integrate as well with custom soundtracks? For instance, if I were to play music through spotify, would the same thing happen as when you played local files on PS3? It seems like a small thing, but the custom soundtrack integration was what kept me playing the original for as long as I did.

The trophies look hard as fuck but everything else I've seen in my first hour is pretty much perfect.

Now, Sony, rebuild Reflections and make a new Destruction Derby and I'll be happy forever.

Shin-Ra

Mine came in a cardboard sleeve and has marks pretty much where the cardboard rubs the edges of the steelbook. I feel petty over this, but jeez. I never usually buy this tat.
Yip, neither SIEE or Amazon thought to wrap the steelbook in soft protective material.
35122265296_50e7001238_o.jpg

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
That might be the main trick for beginners but at intermediate speeds and above the main trick is really learning the tracks. There's at least one corner one each track that is extremely hard to 'read' at top speed on the higher levels, and you need to automatically know where to enter and exit to avoid crashing.

Leads to the classic wipeout feeling of "I can't believe I butchered that corner on every single lap!"

For sure. Anticipation is more important than reaction.

Nyx

I have a quick question - one of my favourite things to do in the original Wipeout HD was play zone mode with my own music and take in all the cool track effects. Does this version integrate as well with custom soundtracks? For instance, if I were to play music through spotify, would the same thing happen as when you played local files on PS3? It seems like a small thing, but the custom soundtrack integration was what kept me playing the original for as long as I did.

I think the effects only work on ingame music.

ScOULaris

What airbrake sensitivity do you guys recommend? I've been struggling with airbraking around turns, and I think it's because I have it set to the default 100% currently.

Would 50% be a good compromise between responsiveness and analog control, or should I just go full-on digital and set it to 10%?

Macaco84

What. A. Game. Just played sol on a+ class on 2048 for the first time. On the pro in 4k with hdr on a 65 inch oled.

I simply do not remember a time a game has thrilled me as much as this. What a rush!

The music, the speed, the insane graphics. A perfect storm of pure amazing.

I'm not normally one for hyperbole but this is worth the price of a pro alone.

Eiji

Thank you Amazon UK.

• Scratched steelbook
  • No cardboard sleeve

Oh well, atleast the game is awesome, especially in 4K HDR.

Deimo5

So how do you unlock new 'cars' in HD and Fury? You have to earn enough loyalty points?

Loyalty unlocks new liveries, it's not like 2048 where you get actual different models. Unless you mean the locked teams at the start which unlock as you progress through the campaign I think?

What airbrake sensitivity do you guys recommend? I've been struggling with airbraking around turns, and I think it's because I have it set to the default 100% currently.

Would 50% be a good compromise between responsiveness and analog control, or should I just go full-on digital and set it to 10%?

I use 50% personally but I don't know if that is optimal or whatever.

Just got in from work, did a quick unboxing video if anyone wants to check it out. Steelbook and Standard Case (no retro cover but the steelbook is awesome, so I can live without the retro cover)

Also got Star Trek Bridge Crew. :)

https://youtu.be/P9zWkKMab_w

Right I'm off to melt my eyeballs with some stupidly fast 4k/60fps WipEout racing.

What is down sampling?

It sounds bad, but obviously it must be good.

Basically, the game is rendering at 4k despite ultimately outputting at 1080p.

It means you'll have a nicer, cleaner image than if it was just rendering at straight 1080p. It helps with jaggies and aliasing.

Don't expect a huge difference, it's really not, but it's nice.

-Amon-

For sure. Anticipation is more important than reaction.

Reaction is a bad habit to take in this game. At some point you will reach speeds so high that make reacting inproductive or impossible at all.

So learn the tracks while you are at the start of the game and the speed is low, so you'll always know what's coming.

Nyx

I find the soundtrack quite lacking :(

Time to work on a dedicated Spotify playlist I guess.

The custom soundtrack in the OP is nice!

On Spotify I've found the DJ mix of Magda - She's a Dancing Machine very nice and fitting for the game.

TLS Lex

Loving replaying these, but totally reminded of how much I loathe Chenghou Project.

I've been playing 2048 on the Vita recently and playing it on the PS4 it's night and day. I don't know if they've made it easier or it's just playing in 60fps with the controller, but it's so easy on PS4.

Making the elite pass for Zone challenges require Mach 1.4ish is a total dick move though. It's much harder than before.

Bumhead

Banned
Yeah, this is stunning.

Just so happy to be playing it.

Also, is it me or have they beefed up the audio in this game.. like, significantly? As big a fan as I am of this series it has been a while since I've played either HD or 2048, so I can't remember what they sounded like. But I played the first race of HD, activated a Turbo and.. it blew me away. Sounded unbeleivable.

The game is obviously visually stunning and unrivalled in terms of style, but it's the audio that's jumped out at me with this release. Anyone else?

Top Bottom