• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

vilmer_

All I can say is... It feels like the 90's all over again and I love it.

What an incredible game. It's a total package of pure fun.

That... Is how it works?

Push top d-pad, ship nose goes down, push bottom d-pad, ship nose goes up. Same with left stick.

Ok just making sure, didn't even realize you could control it until now lol.

Also if I'm running this on a base ps4 on a 1080p tv and a 720p tv sometimes should I enable or disable motion blur? I usually hate motion blur but I feel like it makes sense for racing games so I'm conflicted.

Edit: Also I've asked before but what does changing the airbrake sensitivity actually do?

Ok just making sure, didn't even realize you could control it until now lol.

Also if I'm running this on a base ps4 on a 1080p tv and a 720p tv sometimes should I enable or disable motion blur? I usually hate motion blur but I feel like it makes sense for racing games so I'm conflicted.

I'd leave it on; I don't think there's any disadvantage for leaving it on on the base PS4. Unless you don't like the effect, of course.

Shin-Ra

Here's a couple of quick 4K top-menu shots I grabbed.

34780864420_6bacb3c08e_o.png

34780864610_22a9a49c24_o.png

Chucker

Redbull wasn't available here when XL/2097 released. "Powered by Redbull" left me thinking, for a few years, that Redbull was Psygnosis's game engine. When I finally saw a can in my local store, I was kind of blown away, in that "my entire life has been a lie" sort of way.

This was my experience also. 2097 reminds me of staying up late and watching AmpTV on MTV, and scoping out my Tower Records for techno cd's and imports with exclusive remixes. I remember buying the OST CD the minute I found it.

Shaneus

Here's a couple of quick 4K top-menu shots I grabbed.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4198/34780864420_6bacb3c08e_o.png[IMG]

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4195/34780864610_22a9a49c24_o.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
Jesus, it just looks like you posted embedded vector graphics into that post. Can't believe how clear that is!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm so bad. Struggled elite passing the first Capital Reach time trial and only got to zone 53 on my first go at the Unity Square zone event. Feel like I'm starting from scratch even though I elite passed everything on Vita including the all the A+ challenges.

Not sure I agree that 2048 looks better either. From a technical standpoint they seem fairly similar but HD's art puts it ahead easily for me. 2048's texture work feels like a step down in comparison.

dracula_x

→ https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06/07/how-the-iconic-wipeout-series-was-born/

“There was a moment when Ken Kutaragi came to the Liverpool studio and left believing we couldn’t make our launch dates,” Nick reveals. “But that was like a red rag to a bull for a team that had already worked very hard on it. The final few months of WipEout’s development was extraordinary, and I think being there for the European launch was a monumental achievement.”

“Looking back on it now, if it was just reverse psychology – it worked,” Burcombe admits.

experimenting with airbrakes on the bumpers now, figured it'd be less fun but since they "recover" faster it'll probably make shifting easier

Soul_Pie

A part of me is enjoying the interviews and the look into the history of the franchise, but to be honest a part of me is a big salty about a company calling these games iconic (they are fwiw) and gushing about its history and importance to the platform having not long ago axed the great studio that made them. I still think it was a terribly short sighted decision, especially as they never even got a chance at making a proper console wipeout since the PS2 days. Basically they took the fall for Sony's cock ups in the handheld world.

A wipeout game made from the ground up for PS4 would blow minds, I really hope something happens if this collection is a success.

Unknown?

A part of me is enjoying the interviews and the look into the history of the franchise, but to be honest a part of me is a big salty about a company calling these games iconic (they are fwiw) and gushing about its history and importance to the platform having not long ago axed the great studio that made them. I still think it was a terribly short sighted decision, especially as they never even got a chance at making a proper console wipeout since the PS2 days. Basically they took the fall for Sony's cock ups in the handheld world.

A wipeout game made from the ground up for PS4 would blow minds, I really hope something happens if this collection is a success.

Maybe their plan was to work with a team they didn't own to make new ones? As talented as Liverpool was, let's face it, they had a terrible output and the only ip they worked on after losing the F1 license was WipEout. Wasn't worth keeping a studio that could only produce four WipEout games in almost ten years(one being a remake).

Maybe their plan was to work with a team they didn't own to make new ones? As talented as Liverpool was, let's face it, they had a terrible output and the only ip they worked on after losing the F1 license was WipEout. Wasn't worth keeping a studio that could only produce four WipEout games in almost ten years(one being a remake).

I think they were a pretty small team though? I know they had a pitch that wasn't picked up (probably several).

34350014493_494a56d805_o.jpg

Celebrate the franchise's stunning artwork with a collection of WipEout League t-shirts and hoodies, available from tomorrow exclusively on PlayStation Gear. The tops which were debuted on stage at PSX last year, feature a variant of the iconic Anti-Gravity Racing League logo – which dates back to the original game.

More WipEout merch hitting the PlayStation Gear store 'tommorow'!

how exactly does zone scoring work?

also am I right in thinking that energy doesn't recharge in zone so not to use barrel rolls?

Hitting speedpads, completing laps (perfect and otherwise) scores you points. Completing a perfect lap (and/or 'zone') gives you some energy back. Do notbarrel roll, it doesn't give points but DOES take energy off you.

Yeah, it is annoying how the mode is based on 'score' and not purely which 'Zone' number you made it up to!

Soul_Pie

A lot of developers have seen their output decline significantly during that time, the amount of releases you've alluded to there is pretty typical of how a studio typically works these days, I can't think of many developers dropping quality titles continuously. in that time they also had to deal with uncertainty regarding both Sony consoles and handhelds. The real issue I feel was Sony not giving them a chance on consoles where there games actually had the chance to sell, and not being able to get the most out of what were quality, consistent, releases. How can you grow your franchise if you keep releasing on unpopular platforms? It's a cumulative thing which leaves the franchise in a place of increasing irrelevance.

Even though the PSP sold a tonne the software did not, the Vita was obviously a disaster so 2048 was sent out to die.(playing it now for the first time it deserved way better) Sony banked on handhelds, Sony Liverpool supported the handhelds really well but took the fall for Sony's lack of success in that area. I know life certainly isn't fair for developers, but this closure seemed particularly unfair on the Liverpool studio, especially considering their history with playstation and the fact that they were one of the OG PS1 developers who helped propel the platform and the medium in general.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. I'm going to go play some more and enjoy the great games they made.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I was weak and just ordered it. Spent a fortune on the mountain bike lately and was trying to be frugal.

Same. Downloading it now actually. Was trying to at least hold off for a sale myself to cut back spending. Reading GAF got me to pull the trigger against my better judgment.

Agent X

Not sure if Europe gets them, but I can confirm that North America does get a couple of these in the physical edition. From Amazon.ca:

emailed: 4 static themes
in the game case: 4 team avatars, Van Uber ship

No dynamic theme or digital art book, as far as I'm aware.

I ordered from Amazon.com in the US, and these are exactly the same bonuses that I received.

I'm in the States, but I got an insert in my physical copy that said something about the Van Uber ship and had a code. I put it in (along with the one from BB for the four static themes) but I don't know if I got the ship or not - only had time for a couple races last night and haven't come across it if it worked.

Anyone else in NA get this with a physical copy?

Yes, see above. It should be selectable along with the other ships.

In online lobbies some players have a F symbol with a circle round it next to there name and ship... what does that mean?

It means they were using one of the Fury ships. The Fury DLC for Wipeout HD on PS3 included some redesigned vehicles for each team, all of which had slightly upgraded stats compared to the teams' original vehicles.

Shin-Ra

Couple more 4K screenshots, these are from the pre-race flyover, not photomode. You can hide all the UI here by pausing the game and then taking a screenshot as you unpause.

34359524743_2bc9375158_o.png

35038456141_72405e19e3_o.png

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
This is crazy, how did they manage to make 2048 look this good? IMO is the best looking of the 3 and has the best tracks

It means they were using one of the Fury ships. The Fury DLC for Wipeout HD on PS3 included some redesigned vehicles for each team, all of which had slightly upgraded stats compared to the teams' original vehicles.
That's annoying then because all original ships are basically useless even if some of them look cooler eh

Imo new ships should either just be cosmetic or be side grades instead of a clear upgrade.

D23

This game is like crack. Can't stop playing it. I think I'm just hooked on racing games In general. Between dirt rally vr, mario kart , and wipeout I'm having such a good time with racing games right now

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've been making my way through the HD tracks and haven't really been blown away by the HDR – then I played on Amphiseum. Damn.

2048 is kicking my ass compared to the others

I feel like the speed is faster, the tracks have a ton more obstacles and are overall harder to read, the ai much better and the speedpads harder to see (especially when they're also on a blue surface :/ )

oh and I feel like there are a loooooooot more speed pads

Shin-Ra

COMBAT mode in 2048's better than I remember ELIMINATOR ever being. Not sure why yet except the AI seems to group together better.

speedpads are also kinda hard to see in zone 2048 but holy shit i just cleared zone 45 in my first zone event for 2048

super sanic speed

-Amon-

2048 is kicking my ass compared to the others

I feel like the speed is faster, the tracks have a ton more obstacles and are overall harder to read, the ai much better and the speedpads harder to see (especially when they're also on a blue surface :/ )

oh and I feel like there are a loooooooot more speed pads

I fully agree, in particular on the speed pads thing.

I don't get why they nerfed Zone Zeus to 65 then next minute they make so many of the 2048 elite passes zone 60

Yeah, doesn't really make much sense. Got 120+ in on first go Zone - Empire Climb, but still can't touch HD's Zico which remains a bitch. Hope Hellfire makes a new 'How To' video :p

Top Bottom