• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

I just got first place in a combat event and didn't get elite pass, how on earth...

Edit: and i just elite passed a different one and got 2nd place lol

how the hell are these scored/ended

pixelation

34350014493_494a56d805_o.jpg

More WipEout merch hitting the PlayStation Gear store 'tommorow'!

Oh!!!, i dig the one in the middle so much!, if i ever get a tattoo it will be that simbol... so sleek.

Seventy70

I forgot how hard Meltdown in HD is on Elite difficulty. The final tournament took me like 11 restarts.

It's insane how well the design and gameplay of this game has held up over the years. The racing still feels so tight and satisfying. I've always appreciated Wipeout's minimalist approach to both design and gameplay.

Shin-Ra

I just got first place in a combat event and didn't get elite pass, how on earth...

Edit: and i just elite passed a different one and got 2nd place lol

how the hell are these scored/ended
There's a points target for passing and elite passing on the few I've done so far.

Daffy Duck

2048 seems so hard lol

Is it expected that you can't win the all the events in the starting class with the default ships? And you have to go back later when you get faster ships?

The AI seems to just be faster than me in general.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
2097 had the Redbull brand plastered on every building in every track, and the biggest names in the OST. There was a clear target towards the night clubbing "neon" crowd. I loved that game so much.

Funny thing is Red Bull wasn't even known here in NZ when 2097 released. There was one shop that sold it as a niché drink (5x the price of a can of coke back then) but aside from that it wasn't available anywhere. I bought one amd took it home to devour while playing 2097. :D

Shaneus

Funny thing is Red Bull wasn't even known here in NZ when 2097 released. There was one shop that sold it as a niché drink (5x the price of a can of coke back then) but aside from that it wasn't available anywhere. I bought one amd took it home to devour while playing 2097. :D
Same here. Were they even known anywhere? I got the impression Red Bull wasn't even that popular over in the UK at the time.

-Amon-

How am I already struggling in the first half a dozen races in 2048?

You are not alone in this. Difficulty wise in my opinion the progression is HD -> Fury -> 2048.

I blame it most of all on the tracks. They are more difficult and the speed pads are much less visible.

-Amon-

2048 seems so hard lol

Is it expected that you can't win the all the events in the starting class with the default ships? And you have to go back later when you get faster ships?

I palyed on the Vita back at the times and i clearly remember coming back later to get elite, expecially on some time attacks. If i remember well there are some fast ships that unlock later that make time attacks much more manageble.

missile

From one anti-grav racer to another, here's a huge, huge hug from Paris! It's really awesome meet you here. :)

Argh, don't give me another impossible objective so quickly, you monster!! 😲
And from Vienna as well! Those were the times in WOHD zone mode. Well, I'm
currently not going for any records in zone, for I'm working towards my own
zone game. :)

/thread

BRs for sure! They are such a nice strategical element. I always try to BR
(automatically) whenever the craft gets some air so to speak. xD

jhmostyn

Neo Member
I've never got motion sickness from racing games but I do from FPSs, lying down while playing had always been the biggest help for me

Thanks! I think it helps take the edge off it a little. Taking the camera out of the vehicle dents my driving, but also helps a bit.

At least this way I have an excuse for being so bad at the game :) Getting destroyed online!

When the timer counts down to 0.
Lmao all this time and I didn't even realize there was a timer

Also what camera I'd everyone using? Internal is probably the best for just a novelty sense of speed thing but I find it hard to race in and it's not as immersion as a cockpit view. Close is what I did for a while since it's the default but now I think I'm gonna switch to far just for a higher field of view on rapier+ speeds.

Bumhead

Banned
I'm really impressed by the Spotify integration on this.

I did wonder how that would work, as I've never used it before. Kind of expected Spotify to block out the rest of the games audio, you can still hear all the in game effects as well as my custom soundtrack.

Probably known to most already, but not knowing how good the Spotify integration was on PS4, it's a notable bonus. No more complaints about the soundtrack from me.

Griss

I've been finishing around 1,000th position on the leaderboards of each of the events at the start of the game. Then I switched to the Feisar Prototype for one race... came in 22nd on the leaderboard. Yep, it's good. Really good.

Anyway, this is the best 35 euro I've spent in a long time. Such an amazing package.

I'm really impressed by the Spotify integration on this.

I did wonder how that would work, as I've never used it before. Kind of expected Spotify to block out the rest of the games audio, you can still hear all the in game effects as well as my custom soundtrack.

Probably known to most already, but not knowing how good the Spotify integration was on PS4, it's a notable bonus. No more complaints about the soundtrack from me.
The ps4 Spotify app is pretty good yeah, I just wish for this game there would be an option to add songs to the soundtrack itself so you could still get the menu music, have a song start playing when you start an event and have the distortion when you get airtime. Unless there is a way to do that and I'm just missing it.

jimboton

A couple of questions for Wipeout HD vets.

What's the best ship
...for races?
...for time trials?
Which team should I invest loyalty in first?
Stick or dpad?

JamboGT

A couple of questions for Wipeout HD vets.

What's the best ship
...for races?
...for time trials?
Which team should I invest loyalty in first?
Stick or dpad?

In HD I tend to go for Icaras for both, though in races a high thrust rating can be useful due to weapons and the like so do change to an AG Systems at that point.

Loyalty wise it is just liveries, am partial to the Yellow and Black Harimau, the Blue AG Systems and the second Qirex livery personally!

I use the stick, the extra nuance in steering can keep cornering speeds up!

danowat

Banned
Welcome back Wipeout, welcome back.......

I can remember buying 2048 for nearly £50 and chucking a sickie from work to play it when it first came out, then I fell out of the PS sphere for a while so missed most of the following ones, so it's nice to be back on the track!

Looks sublime in 4K HDR and 60fps.

angelic

Banned
Having played even more, the game is amazing. Quite funny that E3 is coming and announce all these bloated franchises, but one of the games of the year is quietly here, now.

So glad I went digital too...van uber ship is great.

Deimo5

Van Uber is the best ship now I think (backdoor shady pre-order deals) but you can't use it everywhere. 85 speed / 90 thrust / 100 handling and it still has better shields than Icaras at 65. Maybe the Icaras top speed can overcome that.

I like stick for racing but always d-pad barrel rolls. Easier to mash it out lol.

Deimo5

What does flip/emp/invalid lap actually do?

They are based on specific modes.
Flip - insta-turns your ship around in eliminator modes.
EMP - blows stuff up in the Fury Detonator mode
Invalid lap - Voids your current lap on speed laps and gives you your turbo back

Daffy Duck

They are based on specific modes.
Flip - insta-turns your ship around in eliminator modes.
EMP - blows stuff up in the Fury Detonator mode
Invalid lap - Voids your current lap on speed laps and gives you your turbo back

OK, thanks. I tried pressing the button in a race and saw it did nothing and wondered what they were for.

kromeo

2048 seems so hard lol

You can get them all in the first championship with feisar speed, you have to be pretty much perfect on some of the time trials though, easier to just come back with the piranha or prototype

black070

I will go ahead and say it, even if you're not a fan of racing games, this is a must have for Pro owners with a 4K display - it is absoloutely jaw dropping.

leng jai

Is the audio soft for anyone else? The engines really need to sound more aggressive though, in my head they should sound like the pod racers in Star Wars. Sounds pretty good in general though, just have to turn the volume right up.

Carn82

2048 is kicking my ass compared to the others

I feel like the speed is faster, the tracks have a ton more obstacles and are overall harder to read, the ai much better and the speedpads harder to see (especially when they're also on a blue surface :/ )

oh and I feel like there are a loooooooot more speed pads

yeah, they are tougher. To be honest, I think they were harder than they should be because of that on Vita; sometimes it was hard to resolve all the detail; add some slowdown, and the artstyle for 2048 is less clean so it became more challenging than it should be in my opinion.

Didn't play for too long last night, I found that the game was still installing in the background, so could only access the first few races from each game but it was good enough for a quick first play.

It looks seriously impressive in 4k with HDR and 60fps. Looking forward to getting addicted to Zone Mode again.

Welcome back Wipeout, welcome back.......

I can remember buying 2048 for nearly £50 and chucking a sickie from work to play it when it first came out, then I fell out of the PS sphere for a while so missed most of the following ones, so it's nice to be back on the track!

Looks sublime in 4K HDR and 60fps.

I got 2048 free with my 3G Vita which I purchased from Vodaphone, great game :)

jimboton

In HD I tend to go for Icaras for both, though in races a high thrust rating can be useful due to weapons and the like so do change to an AG Systems at that point.

Loyalty wise it is just liveries, am partial to the Yellow and Black Harimau, the Blue AG Systems and the second Qirex livery personally!

I use the stick, the extra nuance in steering can keep cornering speeds up!

Van Uber is the best ship now I think (backdoor shady pre-order deals) but you can't use it everywhere. 85 speed / 90 thrust / 100 handling and it still has better shields than Icaras at 65. Maybe the Icaras top speed can overcome that.

I like stick for racing but always d-pad barrel rolls. Easier to mash it out lol.

Thanks! I thought loyalty unlocked better specced ships for each team, glad it's not so.

Cereality

Banned
When people say that 2048 is harder than HD & Fury, you mean compared to the novice/medium difficulty and not elite, right? Because I completed every event with Elite Pass on 2048, and aside from 2 Zone event where I struggled a little bit, I got elite pass on first try almost every time.

I have yet to play HD & Fury, but from what I remember from 2009, it was insanely hard (I was 14 tho, 22 now, I'm sure I'm better now, but still).

The ps4 Spotify app is pretty good yeah, I just wish for this game there would be an option to add songs to the soundtrack itself so you could still get the menu music, have a song start playing when you start an event and have the distortion when you get airtime. Unless there is a way to do that and I'm just missing it.

There isn't unfortunately, my biggest disappointment with the game.

+1 for Spotify on PS4 though. I play a lot of local SFV and it's a godsend to not listen to the same stage music over and over. Also resident evil mercenaries.

Deimo5

When people say that 2048 is harder than HD & Fury, you mean compared to the novice/medium difficulty and not elite, right? Because I completed every event with Elite Pass on 2048, and aside from 2 Zone event where I struggled a little bit, I got elite pass on first try almost every time.

I have yet to play HD & Fury, but from what I remember from 2009, it was insanely hard (I was 14 tho, 22 now, I'm sure I'm better now, but still).

Some parts of the HD campaign are objectively easier, like elite zone events only require you to get to something like 25-30 while 2048 is mostly 60.
I basically did what you are saying with that whole campaign since I grinded it so much back in the day (My omega elite campaign legend trophy is still glitched, how can I fix this btw).
Meanwhile I never learned the 2048 tracks to the same extent and I'm already missing elite passes a lot more often. I like that though since it's feeling like the wipeout challenge again.

Top Bottom