• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

Relceroi

Neo Member
I managed to get to zone 60 on the Unity Square track on my second attempt. The most difficult thing were the colors.

DB4ihd0.jpg

Other than that, I’m very much liking these 2048 tracks. They feel very different from any of the ones in HD and Fury.

There didn’t seem to be all too many online games yesterday with speed class of rapier or higher. Actually I didn’t see any phantom classes. I suppose it could be a good indicator of how many new players there are, which would be a wonderful thing.

Daffy Duck

When people say that 2048 is harder than HD & Fury, you mean compared to the novice/medium difficulty and not elite, right? Because I completed every event with Elite Pass on 2048, and aside from 2 Zone event where I struggled a little bit, I got elite pass on first try almost every time.

I have yet to play HD & Fury, but from what I remember from 2009, it was insanely hard (I was 14 tho, 22 now, I'm sure I'm better now, but still).

You obviously posses god like Wipeout skills.

Last night on one of the last races (the one with 10 laps) on 2048 I was flying relatively well and the AI were about 8 seconds ahead of me! I couldn't catch them despite hitting speed pads and not hitting the sides.

angelic

Banned
so many online lobbies set to stupidly fast, like some kind of dick waving competition. hey, come in, we enjoy bouncing off walls.

JamboGT

Some of the Zone colours in 2048 make it tough in Zone, seeing the edge of the track in a couple of places is very tough, need to predict instead of react which gets really tough at high speeds.

Am rusty with 2048 but still got Elite Pass on everything so far, Zone modes needed a couple of goes but the rest was first try so I can believe that guy.

This:

Is my greatest achievement in games so far though, am sure it is beaten by now though! (still nowhere near my time in HD)

Daffy Duck

Here's a dumb question, but do you guys who are gods at the game take your finger off the accelerate button like a normal racing game or do you plant the finger right down all the time?

turn into corners properly, only use airbrakes as a light touch to correct you.

A light touch on the air brakes?

Man I have so much to learn on this game.

JamboGT

Bought this today, anything I should know as someone that's never played WipEout?

It's going to be really tough but bear with it. Try to learn the tracks, much better to predict what you need to do than react to it. Double tapping airbrakes to side shift doesn't cost you speed so get used to using it.

I never let go of the throttle really.

Regarding air brakes I actually have them set up digitally so definitely not using them lightly here haha

Cereality

Banned
You obviously posses god like Wipeout skills.

Last night on one of the last races (the one with 10 laps) on 2048 I was flying relatively well and the AI were about 8 seconds ahead of me! I couldn't catch them despite hitting speed pads and not hitting the sides.

Either you're lying or you've played an obscene amount of wipeout in your life

Lol no I really got it tonight, I'm the 14th guy to got it (CerealEnthusiast) (surprised btw, makes me fear that the game didn't sell that much, cause I really feel like it's not that hard and don't take that much time)
https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/6222-wipeout-omega-collection/2-elite-completist

Maybe I got really good over the years idk (I also really played a lot of 2048 on Vita so maybe there's that). I'll report back when I'll start HD & Fury, maybe I'll find it easier too, again it's just that I remember it being so hard back in the days.

angelic

Banned
Here's a dumb question, but do you guys who are gods at the game take your finger off the accelerate button like a normal racing game or do you plant the finger right down all the time?

Yeah, you have to remember theyre brakes..they slow you down..it just happens to be localised to one side or the other. You should be turning into the bend on the right racing line and lightly touching the airbrakes if you know you're going to hit the outside wall.

edit - when I say light, I mean sparingly.

Also what ive done since the original is dont just turn with a left or a right, on certain corners turn with a down left or a down right...you'll keep your back end up and give yourself more turning power without losing speed.

Deimo5

I like how different teams have different pick up voice overs now. Adds to the lore, gives them more personality (Like Tigron sounds evil, Harimau a bit 'nerdy').
I only wish they really went in on nostalgia and gave teams multiple actual pilots with their own look and backstory like in the earliest games.

Deimo5

I hope this doesn't mean the game didn't sell.

Seeing the same names at the top doesn't indicate sales one way or the other I think. The skill gap is real in this game, it's not like a new player is going to come anywhere near close to someone who has hardcore hours under their belt. So that small niche group is going to dominate the leaderboards until other people have time to catch up. Even if you are good, there tends to be this upper echelon that is even better.
Not to mention it has only been out a couple of days.
That said, I'm wary still of having expectations that the game is selling great. Kinda just happy it exists in the first place.

RSchmitz

As someone new to wipeout, I haven´t seen this mentioned yet, but pilot assist SUCKS.
It bounces you back too much, it also makes it very hard to access some shortcuts. I did much better without it.

JamboGT

Pilot Assist is best when you give turn on motion controls, give the pad to a kid and then show them the accelerate button! They tend to love it :)

missile

Never let go of the throttle, unless for tactical reasons like slowing down
for a brief moment to hit the one close behind with your rockets. ;) The
airbrakes are just used to correct the craft and to stabilize/balance it
(momentum shift), yet side-shifting should be used a lot, for it makes you
run into and out of corners much faster. Also, shifting over speed pads
gives a little extra boost.

As someone new to wipeout, I haven´t seen this mentioned yet, but pilot assist SUCKS.
It bounces you back too much, it also makes it very hard to access some shortcuts. I did much better without it.

I turned it on by mistake without realizing it for a few races, and wondered if the AG Systems craft had some bizarre ass-swinging feature I didn't remember. Then I got the trophy for winning with pilot assist and was like "OH."

I guess it has to help someone, but personally it made me feel light I was driving slightly drunk or something.

riverfr0zen

Neo Member
so many online lobbies set to stupidly fast, like some kind of dick waving competition. hey, come in, we enjoy bouncing off walls.

Yeah, you get those people. Fortunately the game has that classic style online setup where you can create your own room with your preferred settings, and not the crappy "we'll set up everything online for you, stupid" that you see in many games today (and which often doesn't work well).

One of the things I always found fun to do in online races was to switch from a faster speed class to a slower one (e.g. Phantom to Venom). Not only does it create a pretty interesting sensation, it also requires pilots to adjust and play differently both in terms of reflexes and tactically. I love that the gameplay is deep enough that there are these nuances. Even as an experienced pilot, playing on a slower speed class can be challenging and fun.

Only played a few races so far, but god damn it's good to be back. Looks outstanding in 4K with HDR. Im seriously impressed with how good it looks.

I also find myself switching between analogue and digital. I was never comfortable with analogue on the other consoles, so it really shows how much I prefer the DS4 to previous Sony controllers.

What the... It lets you use the Fury ships for this? Took me ages on PS3 with the vanilla Piranha.

I thought the same. It wasn't until I watched a video that I realized you could use Fury. Kind of feels like cheating. I feel bad.

To be fair, the Fury variant really doesn't offer any meaningful difference in stats for a Speed Lap. Marginally better handling and thrust offer basically nothing to help with the trophy, I just picked it because I like the design better lol

Stop posting gifs and screens! I'm determined to hold out until I beat Vanquish, and play Overwatch before the event ends! You guys are making this week wait even longer @.@

Bought this today despite barely knowing anything about it (bless you Big W for selling it at $42).

I love it. My friend and I have been playing split screen all night, trying out the various modes and battling each other. We wish there was the opportunity for more than 2 players local but it's really fun despite that :)

WipedOut

EU region has many games going on but man US is sparse. I joined one last night and they had pilot assist on? Really?

There are some people out there really good, I consider myself decent at the game and got beat by 20+ seconds in one race.

Bought this today despite barely knowing anything about it (bless you Big W for selling it at $42).

I love it. My friend and I have been playing split screen all night, trying out the various modes and battling each other. We wish there was the opportunity for more than 2 players local but it's really fun despite that :)

Glad to have you and your friend aboard, pilot! Eliminator is always a blast in split screen.

cheesekao

EU region has many games going on but man US is sparse. I joined one last night and they had pilot assist on? Really?

There are some people out there really good, I consider myself decent at the game and got beat by 20+ seconds in one race.
Isn't it morning in the US now? Most people would be either sleeping or getting ready for work.

Only played a few races so far, but god damn it's good to be back. Looks outstanding in 4K with HDR. Im seriously impressed with how good it looks.

I also find myself switching between analogue and digital. I was never comfortable with analogue on the other consoles, so it really shows how much I prefer the DS4 to previous Sony controllers.
Hmmm, I wasn't sure if I was the only one on that front. I think I kind of like using the bumpers for air brakes and the dpad. Maybe it's because that's how i started on PSP, but idk. Tap tap tap tap tap tap tap

Normally I am not too exited for remasters, but I am totally in the mood for some Wipeout. Got a good price on the PS1-Sleeve-Edition and my wife want's the game, too. Hope it arrives soon so that I can play on Saturday :)

WipedOut

Yep I was on us last night too and the lobbies didn't even fill up the page, not a good sign...

What is your PSN? wonder if we raced at all?

To be fare, WipeOut was always a bigger euro title. With the exception of the first one I don't think the rest were ever huge sellers in the US. Very niche.

Top Bottom