• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

Shaneus

OG AG-SYSTEMS fo life.
2UZfoG9m.gif

I need to play this more. I used to be killer at Wipeout 3 and especially Wipeout 2097, but damn I'm rusty these days.

Also in the lead up to this I had been playing some F-Zero GX... but hot damn there's no substitute for Wipeout, truly. I just love the way Wipeout looks and feels. Fingers crossed this sells and we can get some Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3 DLC.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
By the way guys, just a heads up: if you are only after the platinum trophy you do not need to get gold in all the A+ challenges in 2048. You just need to gold one of them.

If anyone's interested, the WipEout merch is up on the UK PlayStation Gear website! No international shipping unfortunately.

Think I might need to have that hoodie though... Would like to see some more imaginative designs in the future.

I still don't think Sony do anywhere enough to capitalise on those fans who entered gaming with the PlayStation and are now in the 30's, with the disposable income and the nostalgia to buy this stuff. Wipeout especially lends itself so well to that in a non-nerdy/videogamey way.

Time to put your money where your mouth is Bumhead ;)

Shin-Ra

In 2048 it shows the ship stats leading into a ZONE event. Do they make a difference or is it like HD Fury where they're all the same?

Sub_Level

In 2048 it shows the ship stats leading into a ZONE event. Do they make a difference or is it like HD Fury where they're all the same?

Good question. I went with Quirex agility just in case stats did matter (good mix of handling and health)

One of the prototype ships has 100 handling. That would be really really really helpful for zone.

Shaneus

If anyone's interested, the WipEout merch is up on US & UK PlayStation Gear websites!

Think I might need to have that hoodie... Would like to see some more imaginative designs in the future.
Are you in Melbourne? Maybe we could split postage, I'm wagering it'll be pricey from the EU store.

Also, why no Wipeout team bumper stickers? I'd buy a Let's Be Friends one in a heartbeat.

Are you in Melbourne? Maybe we could split postage, I'm wagering it'll be pricey from the EU store.

Also, why no Wipeout team bumper stickers? I'd buy a Let's Be Friends one in a heartbeat.

Nah, Wollongong unfortunately. I don't think any Gear store offers international shipping, so we'd have to use something like Shipito or that AusPost service :(

Also y'know what's shit? Australia actually had a Gear store early last year, but we just don't anymore for no apparent reason.

I just started to try to beat Zico in 2048.
I got close with 32:85 (you have to beat 32:50), but my left thumb hurts from pressing left right on the d-pad to barrel roll.
How do some people do that so effortlessly?

Edit: Down to 32:62 now. But I miss at least one or two barrel rolls every time because my input is just too sloppy and the ship doesn't do them.
I wish I could just map the barrel roll to a single button.

Edit 2: 32: 58 now. fml

I'm in Brissy, but if you find a way to actually get that stuff shipped to Australia let me know. I would wear that hoody everyday with pride.

MrS

Banned
tfw you can't get any of the gold trophies because you SUCK at WipEout
Sad-Woman.jpg

I almost got the Mach 1.5 trophy on Sol but I barrel rolled in error on zone 61. Could have put my controller through the TV, honestly.

I just started to try to beat Zico in 2048.
I got close with 32:85 (you have to beat 32:50), but my left thumb hurts from pressing left right on the d-pad to barrel roll.
How do some people do that so effortlessly?

Edit: Down to 32:62 now. But I miss at least one or two barrel rolls every time because my input is just too sloppy and the ship doesn't do them.
I wish I could just map the barrel roll to a single button.

Edit 2: 32: 58 now. fml

Done. Finally. 106th lap.
I even fucking crashed into the walls at the last short cut but it was still fast enough.
I feel accomplished :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ7oMr1zSIU

Its essentially the same as feisar_2097's video, but here you can see the very first barrel roll at the finish line better.

Yes, they make a difference

You should be using the AG Systems ship with 50 speed and 100 handling or the Qirex Agility if you need more health (due to barriers)

...how the hell was I expected to know that

I wish they'd post the full stats then so I know if the original ships are worth trying over the fury variants

While the changes may have been discussed by SL and the wipEout Zone community upon its release (SL had a great relationship with the site back then), you just kind of figure this stuff out 100 or so hours in and after a few discussions with friends or the community. Things aren't outright explained a lot of the time. I think that HD was really the first game in the series that made serious attempt at welcoming newcomers with things like pilot assist. WipEout is a series that you can spend a lot of time on and still only scratch the surface. It is similar to a fighting game series in that regard.

Fortunately the community has always been warm and welcoming. They love the series and more than anything want to see it thrive. The more people playing, the merrier.

My apologies if I'm making assumptions about your history with wipEout.

This is an excellent video. It should be in the main post of the OT for newcomers.
Yeah, I agree. I'm surprised no one had posted it yet actually. It helped me ease into HD/Fury when I finally bought a PS3. HellfireWZ is a treasure.

I'll PM the link to Vally.

Okay, is it just me or is the 2048 campaign way harder than it was in the original Vita version? I'm completely stumped by 2049 event 5, the single-lap run on Queens Mall. It demands a 42.5 second lap time; I can't get lower than 45. I think I managed to place 5th once. It's clear that I need a faster ship but there simply isn't one faster than the Feisar Speed ship. I've tried using the shortcuts I know about (I think I count four?) but no dice. Three places to barrel roll but the last jump is pointless as it's just before the finish line. What am I doing wrong, and was I just way better at this five years ago? I seriously don't remember having this much trouble.

EDIT: TIED for fourth place, still don't get the pass. Christ, this event is a brick wall.

Sub_Level

Okay, is it just me or is the 2048 campaign way harder than it was in the original Vita version? I'm completely stumped by 2049 event 5, the single-lap run on Queens Mall. It demands a 42.5 second lap time; I can't get lower than 45. I think I managed to place 5th once. It's clear that I need a faster ship but there simply isn't one faster than the Feisar Speed ship. I've tried using the shortcuts I know about (I think I count four?) but no dice. Three places to barrel roll but the last jump is pointless as it's just before the finish line. What am I doing wrong, and was I just way better at this five years ago? I seriously don't remember having this much trouble.

EDIT: TIED for fourth place, still don't get the pass. Christ, this event is a brick wall.

Feisar speed is good choice, its possible with that.

You can't make any mistakes. First take the right shortcut at the beginning of the lap and barrel roll. Then immediately go left at the fork. Then go left at the next fork and barrel roll off the jump. Then go into the shortcut left then the next shortcut to the left.

Then take a right at the fork* (make sure you hit both boost pads sequentially before the fork). This right path has a hard left turn followed by a right curve, so airbrake hard for the first turn but lightly for the right curve. Make sure you don't graze the wall through the narrow passage overlooking the statue of liberty.

Then finally for the jump to the finish I always pitch down. It doesn't make much of a difference but I figure it lessens the jump height a little.

*There is technically a fourth barrel roll possible if you take the left fork but I think its easier to just do the right path. Unless you hit the barrel roll which is difficult, the right path is faster.

Edit: you mean the one at B speed right? Yea i just did it and feisar speed works fine for it. You can already be in 1st place before you get to the last fork lol

3qvkKY6.jpg

Feisar speed is good choice, its possible with that.

You can't make any mistakes. First take the right shortcut at the beginning of the lap and barrel roll. Then immediately go left at the fork. Then go left at the next fork and barrel roll off the jump. Then go into the shortcut left then the next shortcut to the left.

Then take a right at the fork* (make sure you hit both boost pads sequentially before the fork). This right path has a hard left turn followed by a right curve, so airbrake hard for the first turn but lightly for the right curve. Make sure you don't graze the wall through the narrow passage overlooking the statue of liberty.

Then finally for the jump to the finish I always pitch down. It doesn't make much of a difference but I figure it lessens the jump height a little.

*There is technically a fourth barrel roll possible if you take the left fork but I think its easier to just do the right path. Unless you hit the barrel roll which is difficult, the right path is faster.

Edit: you mean the one at B speed right? Yea i just did it and feisar speed works fine for it. You can already be in 1st place before you get to the last fork lol

3qvkKY6.jpg

Hmm, okay. I think I've been doing most of that (the two shortcuts off that big sweeping curve didn't seem to help me that much), but clearly I'm not executing the way I should be. I guess it's practice time.

EDIT: First attempt this session: 1st place, BEFORE THE LAST FORK like you said. Geeez. If only all my failures turned around this quickly!

ironmang

Can someone explain "Zone Battle" to me? I tried reading a wiki entry but since everything is called Zone Target, Zone Gauge, etc it's not very clear what I'm supposed to be doing lol.

Can someone explain "Zone Battle" to me? I tried reading a wiki entry but since everything is called Zone Target, Zone Gauge, etc it's not very clear what I'm supposed to be doing lol.

Ok, basically Zone Battle is an offshoot of the Zone mode, where you fly your craft around a track while continuously getting faster, until you eventually crash. Zone Battle is similar in that you're constantly getting faster, but you also are able to essentially store up boost by running over speed pads. Running over speed pads fills your bar at the bottom of the screen, which acts sort of like a weapon pickup: if you hit square, you'll use the boost and jump forward that many "zones," meaning you'll speed up. If you hit circle, you'll absorb the boost, healing your ship and giving you a momentary shield.

That aspect is important because when you do hit square and use your boost, you'll also leave behind a barrier that you or other racers can hit; hitting the barrier deals damage. The objective is to get to the required zone (i.e., get fast enough) before anyone else.

While the changes may have been discussed by SL and the wipEout Zone community upon its release (SL had a great relationship with the site back then), you just kind of figure this stuff out 100 or so hours in and after a few discussions with friends or the community. Things aren't outright explained a lot of the time. I think that HD was really the first game in the series that made serious attempt at welcoming newcomers with things like pilot assist. WipEout is a series that you can spend a lot of time on and still only scratch the surface. It is similar to a fighting game series in that regard.

Fortunately the community has always been warm and welcoming. They love the series and more than anything want to see it thrive. The more people playing, the merrier.

My apologies if I'm making assumptions about your history with wipEout.
No don't feel bad at all, this is my first game. I just wish they would have explained that or put in game stats or anything because most people will look at the ships and see the fury ones as objectively better in every category, hell I'm still using them because I don't know the perks of the original ones.

No don't feel bad at all, this is my first game. I just wish they would have explained that or put in game stats or anything because most people will look at the ships and see the fury ones as objectively better in every category, hell I'm still using them because I don't know the perks of the original ones.

Just to jump in real fast: in my opinion, it's honestly more of a feel thing than anything; if you're more comfortable in the Fury ships, then those are the best ships for you. If you're more comfortable in the HD ships, you'll fly better with those. It's more about getting a feel for what works for you personally than a strict hierarchy, if that makes sense!

So I haven't played WipEout since the Vita launch.

Damn do I suck now. I used to not touch the walls in Zone until I at least hit the high 20 zones (super rapier?).

Took me forever to remember how to do a barrel roll too.

Glad it's back though. PlayStation just isn't PlayStation without frictionless minimalist European racing games.

RIP Studio Liverpool :'( they were fools to have closed you down

I want MotorStorm Omega Collection now. Some sort of way to play Artic Edge

ironmang

Ok, basically Zone Battle is an offshoot of the Zone mode, where you fly your craft around a track while continuously getting faster, until you eventually crash. Zone Battle is similar in that you're constantly getting faster, but you also are able to essentially store up boost by running over speed pads. Running over speed pads fills your bar at the bottom of the screen, which acts sort of like a weapon pickup: if you hit square, you'll use the boost and jump forward that many "zones," meaning you'll speed up. If you hit circle, you'll absorb the boost, healing your ship and giving you a momentary shield.

That aspect is important because when you do hit square and use your boost, you'll also leave behind a barrier that you or other racers can hit; hitting the barrier deals damage. The objective is to get to the required zone (i.e., get fast enough) before anyone else.

Thanks.

Cereality

Banned
Ok so reporting back on the difficulty after playing a bit of HD on Elite: ok it seems easier. So weird because I remember it being so fucking hard, now it's a piece of cake, I guess I got really better over the years.

Oh and if anyone is interested, I went to Zone 157 on Sol (really surprised when I saw that I finished 2nd on the global leaderboard lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC-_voCgYTU

edit: lol just noticed I got copyrighted by UMG :/

FINALLY got the game in the mail and gave it a whirl. I can't believe WipEout is finally on ps4. We made it boys!

Native 4k60 downsampled to 1080 looks ridiculously good, and honestly the game itself is a looker as well. The remastering job was more comprehensive than I thought, with vastly improved assets all around.

But of course the star of the show is the gameplay. Of course y'all already know HD and Fury are amazing but just how much better 2048 becomes with a full sized controller and 60fps is something you need to experience in order to believe it. Having full size analog sticks as well as analog triggers for airbrake control is a dream come true and it works so, so well.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Any suggestions on the order to tackle the content?

Original Release order?

I'm a Wipeout newbie.

Top Bottom