• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

krioto

It's so good to have wipeout on ps4. Love it, and the steelbook case is a beauty.

AG Systems 4life

Makes me feel 20 years old again and getting hyped up to go out.

missile

I cant, for the life of my, exectue some barrel rolls on venom sebenco climb (using pirhana). I've seen the vids, but that is just not regestering for me. I'm either bad, or these guys are cheating. And I know for a fact that them guys are not cheating. ...
dpad, basically. But there is, well, some cheating to some degree using
another/homebrew controller. Anyhow, dpad is fine, usually.

Already did some quick googling, but there aren't any web-based online leaderboards are there? I did find some older stuff where you have to enter the records yourself tho.

I've heard that http://www.wipeoutrankings.com/ will be updated for Omega.

anyone else hate the Sebenco Climb track as much as me? tons of sharp corners, no real opportunity to gain decent speeds, looks like shit too with a brown rusty track with no diversity and some poorly rendered snowy cliffs. it honestly reminds me of the muddyness of the original on PSone.
SC is perhaps the most beloved track by almost all pro racers that I have met.
So there might be some correlations.

Fdkn

Decided to try online and can't join any single game because I get error NP-34924-2

First game I've ever had a problem like this ._. tried changing DNS suggested by google search and still nothing, any advice?

Tomeru

I dpad only. But pitching doesnt help me get those rolls on the uphill sections. Its insainly hard (in a good sense).

anyone else hate the Sebenco Climb track as much as me? tons of sharp corners, no real opportunity to gain decent speeds, looks like shit too with a brown rusty track with no diversity and some poorly rendered snowy cliffs. it honestly reminds me of the muddyness of the original on PSone.

Sebenco Climb is an amazing track. Check some vids on youtube to see its potential. Its fast af with lots of air time.

I love Sebenco Climb, but then again, I love rally racers and the track layout seems to be inspired by some northern rally courses, full of elevation changes and complex varying-camber turn sequences.

I have read why people like it but I too hate it. I hate that I can't seem to get a good pace on it no matter how many times I do it, don't mind the art tho.

Have not played wipeout since the psp . Man I've missed this series , game is awesome .

Zone mode especially is amazing to play

What is the best ship class ?

Tomeru

I have read why people like it but I too hate it. I hate that I can't seem to get a good pace on it no matter how many times I do it, don't mind the art tho.

Pitching helps in this track. Its a master level track though, imo.

Those who still strugle with zico hd: You can pitch down then up and boost your way through the starting line with an extra barrel roll. I tried it after watching feisar_2097 vid, but couldn't do it at all. Then I looked closer and managed to do it. Hope it helps.

KiteGr

Question:

While I enjoyed the Wipeout games, I never liked the criminally short selection of stages, with most campaign modes making you go through the same stage again and again. This looks like a good opportunity to put together the stages of 3 games in the series.
Does the game put the stages together?
Or you simply choose and get locked on one of the 3 games upon booting and there is no mix & matching?

34350014493_494a56d805_o.jpg

More WipEout merch hitting the PlayStation Gear store 'tommorow'!

Looks like they are available now. I just ordered a sweater.

muteki

Been so long since I've played wipeout with a full size controller/not on a portable. Feels exquisite.

Question:

While I enjoyed the Wipeout games, I never liked the criminally short selection of stages, with most campaign modes making you go through the same stage again and again. This looks like a good opportunity to put together the stages of 3 games in the series.
Or you simply choose and get locked on one of the 3 games upon booting and there is no mix & matching?

Campaign wise, the short answer is no. No mixing and matching. Not sure what options you have for racebox or online.

RSchmitz

Question:

You don´t get locked on a single game, but the campaigns are separated and feature only tracks from the corresponding game. You can easily juggle between each different campaign though.

Didn't know so many other people preferred AG Systems.
They've always been my main team.

It's not likely, but I'd love it if they planned DLC for this and ported over those classic DLC levels from WipEout Pure. I miss playing pre-PSP levels.

But I'm sure most of this game's Dev process was just a port job, and Sony either isn't interested, or no longer has the people available, to make such content. :(

Relceroi

Neo Member
Sebenco Climb reversed might be one of the most fun tracks in the game. I only realized it yesterday when someone picked it in an online game. Since then I've driven it a whole bunch of times and coming down the few final steep slopes is always a thrill.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Meanwhile, 2048 has made me it's bitch. I get that you are likely meant to revisit events as you earn better vehicles

The optional A+ challenges maybe, but for the main campaign you can gold everything with just feisar speed, quirex fighter,and an agility ship for zone!

AllEchse

I now have the steelbook but the game hasn't arrived yet.
Kinda sad.
Atleast my Steelbook isnt damaged like some from the other people who got theirs from amazon.
Time to play a bit of 2048 on Vita while waiting.

Played the game I couple of hours yesterday. Lovely looking title and a super smooth experience thanks to the tight framerate.

However I still can't really get into 2048 that well. It just feels a little off for me compared to HD/Fury. I find the open tracks confusing in cockpit view too. It's just something about the tighter, more traditional WipEout tracks in HD/Fury that works perfectly with the cockpit tilting, while I find confusing in 2048. I'm resulting to the outside camera angle like I did on the Vita, which was even more confusing thanks to the tiny screen and tons of details in the environments.

The only downside after playing extensively HD/Fury on PS3 and 2048 on Vita (plus the HD/Fury DLC again) is that the campaign in this game is a little lacklustre and checkbox sheet standard. It gets boring quick. I'm also one of those who just prefer the races, not the other modes I'm forced to play sadly.

Moose84

I think Sebenco Climb's one of the most gorgeous and polished makeovers in Omega Collection. I also enjoy racing the track with its twisty sections and huge flying boost straight.

WipEoutHDsebencoclimb.jpg

35063151591_bfa428c371_o.jpg

I almost prefer the original. The lighting is 10x better and makes the track look more authentic. The second looks so flat.

ScOULaris

I almost prefer the original. The lighting is 10x better and makes the track look more authentic. The second looks so flat.

Wat? There is a lot more going on in the second pic lighting-wise. You can see in the first pic that the lights lining the walls of the track aren't even illuminating anything, and there's a lot more complexity to the way sunlight reflects off of the ice in the environment in the second pic.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
OK just bought a Pro and this may or may not have been a major reason why...

Just bought a new 4KTV the other day as well. Time to live on rice and water for a bit!

Awesome game so far. Still was able to clock zone 54 in my first run in years. Also looks like they changed the colors in the zones and something just feels different..
I just wish so bad they would redo WipEout 2097. To me, this was and still is the best WipEout game. So much love for Gare d'Europa track :)

Dash_

Used to think the same (well, Wipeout 3: Special Edition was my fave), but I've really warmed up to the handling from Pure onwards over the years. 60fps helps so, so much.

The structure/modes of the later campaigns also pummels the earlier entries into the ground.

I do kind of miss 2097's cyberpunk aesthetic compared to the utopian feel of HD, but 2048/Fury thankfully add a bit of grittiness back in (Amphesium/Subway/Sol looking at you).

I miss the absolute brutality of the 64 version, where hitting a wall nearly stopped you.

Still love it though. Finding 2048 to be far more enjoyable. Has a good challenge.

Seventy70

Useful Tip: You can hold down L1 on Speed Lap to invalidate your time and get another speedboost. You save so many extra laps this way. The only thing that sucks is that you have to hold the button for 3 seconds or so.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
OK just bought a Pro and this may or may not have been a major reason why...

Just bought a new 4KTV the other day as well. Time to live on rice and water for a bit!

Remember: Baby carrots will fill you up pretty good for a snack. Peanut butter sandwich good too.

jett

D-Member
I think Sebenco Climb's one of the most gorgeous and polished makeovers in Omega Collection. I also enjoy racing the track with its twisty sections and huge flying boost straight.

WipEoutHDsebencoclimb.jpg

35063151591_bfa428c371_o.jpg

They've really taken some artistic license with this track. I prefer the original.

MrS

Banned
Feisar speed is good choice, its possible with that.

You can't make any mistakes. First take the right shortcut at the beginning of the lap and barrel roll. Then immediately go left at the fork. Then go left at the next fork and barrel roll off the jump. Then go into the shortcut left then the next shortcut to the left.

Then take a right at the fork* (make sure you hit both boost pads sequentially before the fork). This right path has a hard left turn followed by a right curve, so airbrake hard for the first turn but lightly for the right curve. Make sure you don't graze the wall through the narrow passage overlooking the statue of liberty.

Then finally for the jump to the finish I always pitch down. It doesn't make much of a difference but I figure it lessens the jump height a little.

*There is technically a fourth barrel roll possible if you take the left fork but I think its easier to just do the right path. Unless you hit the barrel roll which is difficult, the right path is faster.

Edit: you mean the one at B speed right? Yea i just did it and feisar speed works fine for it. You can already be in 1st place before you get to the last fork lol
Thanks for this, was a huge help for me too.

Wipeout HD Fury - The Basics by HellfireWZ

New pilots starting out, or retired veterans looking for a refresh, this tutorial might be handy.

This was a good introduction. Thanks for posting. I guess the same guy is working on a 2048 video now.

I do have a question about one thing he said, about turning the analog sensitivity for acceleration all the way down (effectively making it digital). Is that what most of you do? I guess it makes sense because the general consensus is that you always want to be full go.

Seventy70

This was a good introduction. Thanks for posting. I guess the same guy is working on a 2048 video now.

I do have a question about one thing he said, about turning the analog sensitivity for acceleration all the way down (effectively making it digital). Is that what most of you do? I guess it makes sense because the general consensus is that you always want to be full go.

Yeah, it's best to make it digital imo. The DS4 doesn't have analog face buttons though, so the option is probably gone in this version.

Ps4 analog sticks are just too long. If you have to perform multiple barrel rolls in quick succession whilst also steering in the air thats pretty much impossible with the sticks.

They might suffice early in the game, but I would recommend to start with the d-pad right away.
And put the air breaks on L1/R1 instead of L2/R2, because the latter are also to slow if you want to perform these side shifts quickly.

Ah, forgot about the DS4 face buttons being digital. Thank you both for the feedback. Got this waiting at home for me, can't wait to tear into it when I'm off work.

Top Bottom