• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

There's always f zero for the plebs though

Its the other way around actually 😎
Been playing this, its a nice packgage and all.... but i always had a problem with Wipeout since it moved to HD... i loved the original and 2047 for its gritti, dark visuals. HD Wipeout has become so clean, as if its trying too much too look cool, its almost too beatifull to me.
Its still definitely a fun game to play, but i get bored quickly...

Its the other way around actually 😎
Been playing this, its a nice packgage and all.... but i always had a problem with Wipeout since it moved to HD... i loved the original and 2047 for its gritti, dark visuals. HD Wipeout has become so clean, as if its trying too much too look cool, its almost too beatifull to me.
Its still definitely a fun game to play, but i get bored quickly...
2048 has a grittier feel I think

Griss

Worked my way through 2049 tonight, so much fun.

I can elite pass almost everything on my first try so far but absolutely can't get the Zone challenges. I get to zone 50 and everything goes to shit. I'm using either Feisar agility or AG Systems agility - would I be better off with a tankier machine to take more damage?

I just wish that if you standard pass'd a zone challenge you could start from that point next time around - it's just busywork getting to zone 30, and makes repeating the challenge when you constantly die at zone 55 really, really frustrating. And then the difficulty on something like the Combat challenges is flipped... you can get an elite pass within 15 seconds of a 2 minute event on those ones. I use the Qirex fighter for that.

Brilliant game though, love it. Played my first online races and won my second one. Shame there's no matchmaking, but the lobby system works well enough. Very few playing it when I was on, though. I guess everyone's making their way through the campaign.

Ok, basically Zone Battle is an offshoot of the Zone mode, where you fly your craft around a track while continuously getting faster, until you eventually crash. Zone Battle is similar in that you're constantly getting faster, but you also are able to essentially store up boost by running over speed pads. Running over speed pads fills your bar at the bottom of the screen, which acts sort of like a weapon pickup: if you hit square, you'll use the boost and jump forward that many "zones," meaning you'll speed up. If you hit circle, you'll absorb the boost, healing your ship and giving you a momentary shield.

That aspect is important because when you do hit square and use your boost, you'll also leave behind a barrier that you or other racers can hit; hitting the barrier deals damage. The objective is to get to the required zone (i.e., get fast enough) before anyone else.

Thanks for this, I had completely forgotten.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Worked my way through 2049 tonight, so much fun.

I can elite pass almost everything on my first try so far but absolutely can't get the Zone challenges. I get to zone 50 and everything goes to shit. I'm using either Feisar agility or AG Systems agility - would I be better off with a tankier machine to take more damage?

I used Quirex agility to Elite Pass all of the 2048/2049/2050 zone challenges. They are indeed hard as hell. Just wait until you have to do the zone challenge for Subway. But for what its worth there is a prototype that has 100 Handling so you may consider unlocking and using that. I didn't use it so I can't tell you personally how it works, but its a last resort.

Griss

I used Quirex agility to Elite Pass all of the 2048/2049/2050 zone challenges. They are indeed hard as hell. Just wait until you have to do the zone challenge for Subway. But for what its worth there is a prototype that has 100 Handling so you may consider unlocking and using that. I didn't use it so I can't tell you personally how it works, but its a last resort.

Cheers, I'm leaving them for now so the prototype will be an option.

Gonna play the Vita version now for the first time in years to compare.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Does the pilot assist come with a downside? For some reason I thought that it caps your top speed or something like that. Is that actually true?

Pilot assist will slow you down for sure, especially in tracks with tons of corners.

xrnzaaas

Well I have another Driveclub, I never played Wipeout games from this collection, because I didn't own a PS3 or a Vita so it's all fresh for me. The game is insanely good and thanks to the quick restarts it does a great job at convincing you to retry. And I love how by retrying you actually get better by memorizing the launch pads or finding shortcuts. I played for more than 4 hours yesterday and did only about 10 events from the 2048 campaign. :D

image.php

My proudest achievement so far :) It's really nice to see almost all of my Driveclub buddies on the leaderboards. By the way this was an interesting track. Originally I couldn't get the elite pass, because I didn't notice one of the shortcuts near the end and I also tried to take a very tricky shortcut with some launchpads instead of following the wide main route. :) Sweeeet game!

Here he is in one of the races I recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0ncC6Hqhw (at the end)

I like that the leaderboards are kind of private so far and you see the same names all the time.
I hope this doesn't mean the game didn't sell.

this is crazy good. I love how intense the speed and corners are, how hard you push the airbrakes and how the ship swing hard left to right it feels you loose control but you regain it on the very edge, it's all about the dosage, it's crazy good to see and as a viewer (and experience wipEout player) I know you are always on this thin edge " I got this - oh shit
*hard airbrake left* shit I pushed too hard must correct course *push opposite direction to realign* oooh I got this *casual barrel roll*

so you land and boost into next hellish series of corner and the entire cycle loops advitam eternam until victory.

and hot damn, begining of the last lap, the IA overtaking you so hard in the inside and laying the mine in you face in the blind hill corner. That was rough

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Is this game easier than it was on PS3 or am I a god now? Talking specifically about HD.

I'm also tearing through HD, but on novice. not my favorite tracks, but it's a pleasant yet exhilarating thrillride.

Meanwhile, 2048 has made me it's bitch. I get that you are likely meant to revisit events as you earn better vehicles, but some events I can't even get close to passing material. Like I claw my way to 6th at best. It's really not been fun, particularly as this is the early stuff! Tracks are great though, but ugh.

Dash_

Anyone know a quick way to rank up in 2048? I'm through most of the campaign and have Elite on half of it, but still on rank 23.

Still hoping to experience that in VR. I want to experience this fabled motion sickness people go on about.

There was some guy a few days ago saying in a PSVR group on Facebook that he has a friend that says a VR patch is in the pipeline, but I very much doubt that he knows anything lol. As much as I'd love to see it! Probably shouldn't shit up the thread with speculation though.

Dash_

There was some guy a few days ago saying in a PSVR group on Facebook that he has a friend that says a VR patch is in the pipeline, but I very much doubt that he knows anything lol. As much as I'd love to see it! Probably shouldn't shit up the thread with speculation though.

Here's hoping. I know they've said it's too fast for VR, but if Trackmania Turbo can get a mode, why can't this?

Money and resources most probably. The prestige and attention PSVR could get with Wipeout on it would probably justify it though.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
One minor complaint is that tapping X after a race is done doesn't respond straight away. Small, but that delay is a little grating.

Also, and this might sound blasphemous, but I've taken to muting the music and playing some Kendrick Lamar, Joey Badass and the like while playing. Suits the game a lot I reckon.

Carn82

a lot of free time this weekend, time to grind out all the elite/golds I can muster. So happy that Wipeout is back; it's one of the games that I can pretty much always play.

Tomeru

I cant, for the life of my, exectue some barrel rolls on venom sebenco climb (using pirhana). I've seen the vids, but that is just not regestering for me. I'm either bad, or these guys are cheating. And I know for a fact that them guys are not cheating.

Also, no trophy for reaching zone 50 with air breaks only?

angelic

Banned
I cant, for the life of my, exectue some barrel rolls on venom sebenco climb (using pirhana). I've seen the vids, but that is just not regestering for me. I'm either bad, or these guys are cheating. And I know for a fact that them guys are not cheating.

Also, no trophy for reaching zone 50 with air breaks only?

dpad

KORNdoggy

anyone else hate the Sebenco Climb track as much as me? tons of sharp corners, no real opportunity to gain decent speeds, looks like shit too with a brown rusty track with no diversity and some poorly rendered snowy cliffs. it honestly reminds me of the muddyness of the original on PSone.

Seventy70

anyone else hate the Sebenco Climb track as much as me? tons of sharp corners, no real opportunity to gain decent speeds, looks like shit too with a brown rusty track with no diversity and some poorly rendered snowy cliffs. it honestly reminds me of the muddyness of the original on PSone.
Yeah, I hated doing that track over and over again in the campaign. The scenery is nice, but the layout sucks. I don't understand why that steep bump is there at the start of the track. It's just annoying.

Carn82

Already did some quick googling, but there aren't any web-based online leaderboards are there? I did find some older stuff where you have to enter the records yourself tho.

Shin-Ra

I think Sebenco Climb's one of the most gorgeous and polished makeovers in Omega Collection. I also enjoy racing the track with its twisty sections and huge flying boost straight.

WipEoutHDsebencoclimb.jpg

35063151591_bfa428c371_o.jpg

leng jai

The smoothness they've achieved with this remaster is beautiful, it's quite ridiculous really. Now if I only I didn't stink at the game, that would be lovely.

Top Bottom