• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

Pogonip

Neo Member
What's the best way to hit Rank 50 in 2048, after Elite Passing everything except a couple of the Zone Events (Whoever decided Zone 65 for Subway is the worst). I'm at Rank 43 right now.

From what I can see, your only options are either try to elite pass all the A+ Class events (which would test your sanity, and even then you'd still be some levels short) or grind out Zone events and try and get as many perfect laps as you can. Does anyone know if there's any other way?

Piggus

Man I forgot how good the soundtracks are for these games. Hnnnng. If you have a 5.1 or 7.1 system, these games are worth it just for the incredible audio mixing.

I'm guessing there's no more 3D mode, right? 3D actually looked really good in Fury on PS3.

Seventy70

Goddamn. I just got around to looking at the digital artbook and it's amazing. I really love the games, but I don't think they quite do the concept art justice. tbh I never thought the dance/techno soundtrack was ever a good fit with these games. There were a few tracks that fit well here and there, but there always seemed to be a bit of a disconnect. The soundtrack should be full of analog distortion and grit.

yurinka

Hmm they changed the color schemes in Zone mode. I wonder why.
I'd say it's to make it more color friendly, or to make them easier to "read" for everybody.
2048 is bastard hard.
I thought I was myself. I don't remember it being so hard in Vita. I'd say it's better to try unlocking new ships by ending in the minimum pos (like 5th in races) and later to come back with better ships and knowing way better the tracks to try getting the 1st postition. Instead of repeating the events again and again with entry level ships.

Try to focus on the events that are easier for you (in my case non racing stuff like combat or zone).

Yep, exactly. The base craft aren't outdated at all. Even if they were, I'd pick them every time because they all have more character than their Fury counterparts. Try and show me one Fury ship that looks better than the HD version, you can't!

Not that the base craft look bad or anything, but this badass mofo looks way better than its HD counterpart:

wipeout_hd_fury___assegai_by_o0demonboy0o-d9gxdet.png

And the Mirage one is so much cooler its not even funny, i mean, from this:

To this:

Fury designs are actually really good

Just got eliminated in an 8 race tournament

That's what I get for sticking with my boy assegai. Speaking of assegai, the assegai ai says quake really weirdly

Still won tho

tbh I never thought the dance/techno soundtrack was ever a good fit with these games. There were a few tracks that fit well here and there, but there always seemed to be a bit of a disconnect. The soundtrack should be full of analog distortion and grit.

Psh whatever. WipEout does music right. One of my most memorable moments with the series was playing XL with Firestarter in the background. Lord that was some good gaming.

Goddamn. I just got around to looking at the digital artbook and it's amazing. I really love the games, but I don't think they quite do the concept art justice. tbh I never thought the dance/techno soundtrack was ever a good fit with these games. There were a few tracks that fit well here and there, but there always seemed to be a bit of a disconnect. The soundtrack should be full of analog distortion and grit.
>futuristic sci-if anti-gravity racing
> analog distortion and grit

Also yeah 2048 gets real hard real quick, I'm going back and finishing HD and fury. Also weird how you get unlockable huds but can't use 2048's hud in hd and vice versa. HD's hud is kinda ugly but has by far the easiest readability imo

Edit: why am I getting venom races in the penultimate event of HD lol

2048 is hard as nails but has much better campaign progression in terms of events and classes imo

Quick noobie question, I'm just about done with the first set of races in HD and have never really played these games. There's a bunch of "teams" of vehicles to choose from, with two initially available and a bunch you unlock. It seems the top one always has better stats. Why would I ever use the bottom ones?

This is the first game in awhile to make my Pro get really loud.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quick noobie question, I'm just about done with the first set of races in HD and have never really played these games. There's a bunch of "teams" of vehicles to choose from, with two initially available and a bunch you unlock. It seems the top one always has better stats. Why would I ever use the bottom ones?

This is the first game in awhile to make my Pro get really loud.

The top ships were added in the Fury expansion. In the original HD only the bottom ships with lower stats were available. So if you want a more authentic HD experience just use the bottom ones (except Van Uber maybe, it seems kind of OP judging by raw stats) and use the top for the Fury campaign.

Someone also said some invisible stats are different and favor the HD ships, like weight. You probably have to be a pretty hardcore Wipeout player for those differences to matter more than the key listed stats.

And I kind of wonder why they didn't give Van Uber and Tigron a Fury version. Maybe they will be patched in later or something, but it's a bit disappointing and they stand out on the select menu because of it.

xrnzaaas

I played some more yesterday and advanced to the 2049 campaign. Really good game and most of the new tracks instantly land on my favorites list. I only can't deal the zone challenges, some insane reflexes seem to be required in these events. :) Like in the Unity Square event you have to be super super precise to cover the first set of chicanes and the tunnel. I plan to play this for weeks (months?) so maybe I'll eventually git gud. ;)

kyser73

I'd say it's to make it more color friendly, or to make them easier to "read" for everybody.

I thought I was myself. I don't remember it being so hard in Vita. I'd say it's better to try unlocking new ships by ending in the minimum pos (like 5th in races) and later to come back with better ships and knowing way better the tracks to try getting the 1st postition. Instead of repeating the events again and again with entry level ships.

Try to focus on the events that are easier for you (in my case non racing stuff like combat or zone).

But I must git gud! I am driven to win in the early ships!

Well that's an opinion.

Zone/Anulpha Pass/Machine Gun-Noisia is a near perfect joining of audio/visual/gameplay IMO, and guitars with this game...

Michealcainenevah.gif

kromeo

Older soundtracks were a great fit. The brostep and jump up d&b they've used in 2048 and omega not so much

Seventy70

Psh whatever. WipEout does music right. One of my most memorable moments with the series was playing XL with Firestarter in the background. Lord that was some good gaming.
Not saying the music is bad, but the concept art looks more Blade Runner-esque which is what I mean by gritty.
Older soundtracks were a great fit. The brostep and jump up d&b they've used in 2048 and omega not so much
I agree. The only older stuff I don't really like is the Cold Storage tracks. I know it's blasphemous for a Wipeout fan to say that, but it sounds too rave-y.

missile

Hmm they changed the color schemes in Zone mode. I wonder why.

kLKJRnQ.jpg

vzeWOZH.jpg

SV6Jnv9.jpg
And it doesn't look improved from over here. I mean, if they touch the zone
colors then why not improve on it? Would be cool to have some cool metallic
or glossy themes with some cool Fresnel reflection at grazing, or even some
pure diffuse lambertian ones. Hmm. I think they are missing out with the
style of the zone color themes.

Edit:
Am I alone...
Sometimes I think WipEout misses some aspects for the real hardcore players. I
know it's a trade-off between time, money, testing etc. but lets take the zone
color schemes for example. In HD/Fury the last colors theme was set from zone
75 onward. Now if you imagine that we run well into zone 100+ on a couple of
tracks (160+ on Syncopia even), then I'm asking myself why the color schemes
where falling so short? So on the 100+ zone tracks you run for ages with the
same zone 75 color theme. Why? Odd thing is, the last theme for the Fury zone
tracks does also aliase (in time) with you seeing standing patterns.

Tomeru

Are scuf controllers and the likes valid in this game? Are they fround upon?

Bumping for visibility. Those kinds of controllers can make pitching turning and brolling alot easier. Using the default dpad at certain spots is thumbcrushingly hard.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
-2048 tracks lack the visibility all HD/Fury tracks seem to retain. I can't see where the track is heading and need multiple go arounds till i get it, also pads are most of the time not visible enough. As of now HD/Fury tracks >>> 2048.

-Don't like that the old HD ships seem useless, and why is the Van Über (don't remember that ship) so good from the get go?

-Would have loved a bit more AA on base PS4, looks really great but there is still aliasing.

-Need an option to auto accelerate at any times and use [X] to...stop it. I get cramps holding that button down for ages.

Other then that, best racing game on PS4 right now, imo.

-2048 tracks lack the visibility all HD/Fury tracks seem to retain. I can't see where the track is heading and need multiple go arounds till i get it, also pads are most of the time not visible enough. As of now HD/Fury tracks >>> 2048.

-Don't like that the old HD ships seem useless, and why is the Van Über (don't remember that ship) so good from the get go?

-Would have loved a bit more AA on base PS4, looks really great but there is still aliasing.

-Need an option to auto accelerate at any times and use [X] to...stop it. I get cramps holding that button down for ages.

Best racing game on any platform, I might add. But I am a huge WipEout fan, so take that as you will.

With that said, I am in heaven. I thought about selling my PS4 before, but now, thanks to this collection, it is forever secured as an essential console. I can't part with it anymore. I'll play this iteration of WipEout until they release the PS5 ( and I pray to Sony God that they make another WipEout game someday! ).

Calabi

Yeah I noticed that I thought I was the only one and somethings wrong with my vision, some tracks are really difficult to read.

Laranja

Finally had a chance to play this. I'm super impressed with the 2048 tracks, they're so much fun and look great!

I agree with the gaffer that said the speed pads are very hard to see at times, though.

I was also impressed by the sound. I really like the boost sound effect in particular. Don't know if it's new or it's just better speakers on my new TV, but it sounds new.

JamboGT

For HD and Fury pick what you think looks cool, get used to it and you can win pretty much anything in it.

I tend to use HD ships as I like the alternate liveries!

I think my only real complaint is about Fury and it's the same as it was back when it originally came out, too many eliminator and detonator events.

Greenymac

For HD and Fury pick what you think looks cool, get used to it and you can win pretty much anything in it.

I tend to use HD ships as I like the alternate liveries!

I think my only real complaint is about Fury and it's the same as it was back when it originally came out, too many eliminator and detonator events.

Yeah I forgot about all these different events and whatnot in fury. I'm not a trophy hunter or completionist. I'm perfectly happy hitting the race box against elite&#8203; AI. I really don't even like zone. Time trials, speed laps and racing is what I'm here for.

Relceroi

Neo Member
This final eight track phantom class tournament in the Fury campaign is making me hate the AI and its abuse of weapons against me. I got eliminated three times and only lost by one measly point… But at least I’m almost done with this campaign.

Z3M0G

Man I forgot how good the soundtracks are for these games. Hnnnng. If you have a 5.1 or 7.1 system, these games are worth it just for the incredible audio mixing.

I'm guessing there's no more 3D mode, right? 3D actually looked really good in Fury on PS3.
Fury ps3 had 3d? I should check if i own that...

Edit: pretty sure i had them all on Vita

And I kind of wonder why they didn't give Van Uber and Tigron a Fury version. Maybe they will be patched in later or something, but it's a bit disappointing and they stand out on the select menu because of it.

Not sure about Van Uber, but Tigron might actually be for canon reasons. Tigron is supposed to be dead during the time HD/Fury take place. I think the story justification for Tigron being in HD is that the craft was their final prototype before the company collapsed and was absorbed back into Qirex, (please barrel roll me if I'm wrong), but making a NEW Tigron ship for FX350 would be a bridge too far.

Not sure about Van Uber, but Tigron might actually be for canon reasons. Tigron is supposed to be dead during the time HD/Fury take place. I think the story justification for Tigron being in HD is that the craft was their final prototype before the company collapsed and was absorbed back into Qirex, (please barrel roll me if I'm wrong), but making a NEW Tigron ship for FX350 would be a bridge too far.

Pretty sure you're right about this; the press kit with the Tigron model (the one that floated) had text that indicated as much.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
(please barrel roll me if I'm wrong)

Side note: You actually can destroy other ships by barrel rolling into them mid-air if their health is low. I doubt it does any more damage than normal contact damage but its still funny and pretty rare.

So loyalty can be earned in 2048? I ask because 2048 talks about rank instead of loyalty (which is explicitly mentioned in HD and Fury)

Loyalty is HD/Fury only. Rank is a separate system because 2048 has separate set of ships.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yeah, that's what I suspected. So if loyalty can't be earned in 2048, are any HUD modes unlocked in 2048 or are they all unlocked in HD/Fury?

2048 just has the one default HUD. It changes slightly depending on certain modes and ships. For example a combat ship has a sort of 360 degree radar.

Top Bottom