• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

MrS

Banned
Getting an Elite Pass on the A+ Challenge on Sol was a fucking thrill, I must say. I suck at 2048 but the joy of beating that challenge was worth the entry fee alone.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Getting an Elite Pass on the A+ Challenge on Sol was a fucking thrill, I must say. I suck at 2048 but the joy of beating that challenge was worth the entry fee alone.

At the first fork at the start, so you always go left on the HUEG jump or do you go in the little pass on the right to stay grounded?

calder

I'm not a worldwide top player on the leaderboards or anything but I definitely am top 10 at nailing a ship with a rocket or missile and then immediately crashing into that ship no matter how off line it is. It's like my superpower or something.

Shin-Ra

I'm not a worldwide top player on the leaderboards or anything but I definitely am top 10 at nailing a ship with a rocket or missile and then immediately crashing into that ship no matter how off line it is. It's like my superpower or something.
One of the unique things about WipEout I love is if you're on the receiving end of such bump at low speeds, you get a really nice 'boost'!

PHOTOSHOP

was just watching Force Awaken. Made me think a Wipeout movie could exist and look cool.

tumblr_nsvovaAAFc1qcl50bo1_500.gif

basically instead of all the x-wings fighting in the air put them on a race track

meppi

I have tried the other games and I am better on them, I think this is the way to go.

There's a very good reason why they called it WipEout Pure on PSP when it first came out before it was somewhat ported to PS3 as WipEout HD.
That's because Pure was the distillation of what worked for WipEout and threw out everything else. After Fusion, it was created with as a WipEout in it's purest form.

2048 strays away from it again and it's the lesser game for it, which is a real shame.

Also, don't be afraid to try and get used to digital controls.
I've been playing with a d-pad and internal view since the very first game and that setup is still perfect for me in every iteration.

Still love the original games to death and I've actually been spending a good chunk of last month plating XL on Japanese Saturn. (Yes, I know, inferior version, blah blah. ;) )
I don't care, the game still holds up perfectly and is still more fun than 99% of racing games that have come out since.

Bumhead

Banned
Does racing 2048 events and tracks online contribute to your XP for 2048? Because racing HD definitely DOES contribute to your team loyalty, but unless I'm missing something you don't get the same perk for 2048 tracks online.

Which would be a shame, because I'm not going to grind what's available in the campaign to reach level 50, but do enjoy the 2048 tracks a lot online.

My very early impressions of 2048 are that I don't much like it. It doesn't feel very Wipeoutey to me. Long, wide tracks that seem more concerned with showing off scenery than offering a tight, interesting race. Then to make up for that they're littered with boosts and pickups, and 'amazing secret passages' that aren't amazing once you've determined the one single best route and only ever go that way.

Negotiating the sequences feels more like completing QTE's, complete with long empty gaps in between so you can prepare.

HD feels much more 'right' when I go back to it, the chunky courses offering varieties of interesting corners in sequence, instantly speaking to me of the PSX games.

It's entirely possible I'll grow into 2048, however. It just is different.

This. Also best WipEout yet.

My very early impressions of 2048 are that I don't much like it. It doesn't feel very Wipeoutey to me. Long, wide tracks that seem more concerned with showing off scenery than offering a tight, interesting race. Then to make up for that they're littered with boosts and pickups, and 'amazing secret passages' that aren't amazing once you've determined the one single best route and only ever go that way.

Negotiating the sequences feels more like completing QTE's, complete with long empty gaps in between so you can prepare.

HD feels much more 'right' when I go back to it, the chunky courses offering varieties of interesting corners in sequence, instantly speaking to me of the PSX games.

It's entirely possible I'll grow into 2048, however. It just is different.
These contradictory reports don't help my purchase decision.

I'm really starting to get into 2048. I find it easier to hit good racing lines on the tracks than in HD Fury. It's still hard to see some turns on a few tracks due to the grittier design.

Omega's soundtrack is disappointing.

Dash_

2048 really comes into its own on those wider tracks imo (Downtown, Capital Reach, Altima, Sol). It's in the narrower tracks where the twitch controls seem too imprecise (Subway and Metro Park, looking at you).

These contradictory reports don't help my purchase decision.
If it moves the needle at all, I don't regret the purchase in the slightest. The bit I don't like is easily ignored​ for the time being, and I adore what's left.

And there's room for me to change my mind about 2048; that was just a first impression. It seems very challenging to get the most out of. Should provide longevity, if nothing else.

Dash_

The AI is certainly challenging. It makes HD and Fury's Elite AI look like Novice. Races are always super tight, even on lower classes.

That's something Studio Liverpool should be given more credit for. All three campaigns feature human-feeling AI compared to most other racers.

Curufinwe

This is going to be tough since there are not many online races and even fewer online Eliminator events.

"50 Kills - Destroy 50 ships in Online Eliminator or Combat Events"

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Never really played these, aside from one on PSP or Vita I think?

But bought it just now for the apparently stellar Pro support. DF got them at least one sale.

Griss

Jesus Christ, the game doesn't really start until you hit Mirage. Aka Event 8, aka 'All phantom, all the time'. I've got Elite Gold medals on all but two events so far but here I can barely finish 4th. It's exhilarating, but I think that the game shines best on Rapier, I've always thought that.

Any tips for Phantom? Also, are there different effects on tracks for Phantom level? On Vineta K, the sun sort of goes down and all the ships glow orange. Never seen that. Is that a glitch or just a phantom-only effect?

Also, why are Ubermall and Metrico so fucking fun? There's something about those two tracks, the races are always awesome there. My favs by far. Also, having played way more of Sebenco Climb it has really grown on me. Sol 2 has grown on me - always loved the visuals there (maybe the prettiest track) but I've gotten used to the turns and now it flows nicely. It's probably Chenghou Project that's my least favourite now. The second half of that track is good, but the first half is a floaty bumpy mess that is way too dependent on pitching your nose into the dirt to be fun. And I used to like Anulpha Pass but now I find it a bit too simple - although thank god the game has at least one easy track.

So I've almost beaten both 2048 and HD, but I've got all of Fury left. If I remember correctly it's a real mishmash of odd events like Detonator and Zone Battle. Shit, maybe I should have done it first and saved the best (HD) for last.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
2048 is hard. I feel like I'm missing something but now I remember I had trouble on Vita too. I just barely got through the first campaign and unlock 2049. Think I'll stick to HD and Fury for awhile though. I posted in the digital foundry threads but on a technical level this game is just incredible. It might be a remaster but it's one of the best looking games out there at the moment for me. They just did incredible work

robotrock

Banned
I thought I was a Wipeout God but it turns out I've just been playing on Novice. I tried Elite difficulty and this shit does not make any sense

Griss

I thought I was a Wipeout God but it turns out I've just been playing on Novice. I tried Elite difficulty and this shit does not make any sense

lol when I first played HD Fury on PS3 I made the same mistake.

Pro-tip - switch to Elite and never look back. You will get better and you will learn. Time spent getting gold medals on novice or skilled is just time wasted in the long run.

That said I might turn down to skilled on mirage until I get used to the speed of Phantom class. That's the one time I think it's appropriate.

Dash_

The problem with Elite isn't on Phantom level but Flash class, oddly. A couple of incoming missiles can destroy an entire race (hello Sol 2).

Shin-Ra

Just got MELTDOWN(8/8) to Elite Gold now in HD. Started off doing a little of each game but decided I'd work my way up to the less familiar Fury tracks and then 2048.

Deimo5

Confused why people dislike 2048 so much?

It feels incredible and responsive. HD is fine, but it feels floatier and more forgiving.

I can't really tell a difference there fwiw. 2048 has an obviously different aesthetic and track design where opinions can diverge.

CLEEK

Jesus Christ, the game doesn't really start until you hit Mirage. Aka Event 8, aka 'All phantom, all the time'. I've got Elite Gold medals on all but two events so far but here I can barely finish 4th. It's exhilarating, but I think that the game shines best on Rapier, I've always thought that.

Any tips for Phantom? Also, are there different effects on tracks for Phantom level? On Vineta K, the sun sort of goes down and all the ships glow orange. Never seen that. Is that a glitch or just a phantom-only effect?

Also, why are Ubermall and Metrico so fucking fun? There's something about those two tracks, the races are always awesome there. My favs by far. Also, having played way more of Sebenco Climb it has really grown on me. Sol 2 has grown on me - always loved the visuals there (maybe the prettiest track) but I've gotten used to the turns and now it flows nicely. It's probably Chenghou Project that's my least favourite now. The second half of that track is good, but the first half is a floaty bumpy mess that is way too dependent on pitching your nose into the dirt to be fun. And I used to like Anulpha Pass but now I find it a bit too simple - although thank god the game has at least one easy track.

So I've almost beaten both 2048 and HD, but I've got all of Fury left. If I remember correctly it's a real mishmash of odd events like Detonator and Zone Battle. Shit, maybe I should have done it first and saved the best (HD) for last.

I've always felt Rapier is the sweet spot once you know the courses. Phantom is too much a lot of the time.

Ubermall is up there as one of the best racing game courses ever. The bitch 90^ turn at the end still catches me out too often, but otherwise, its the perfect Wipeout course. It has two of the best places in the game series for turbos/boosting: Using a Turbo on the incline before the final stretch and getting a stupid amount of air time. Barrel rolling after the incline just after the track branches, then nailing the sharp right turn while boosting.

2048 is the campaign that really makes me feel that I've lost a step in the last five years. I can go back to my Vita save and see that I managed to finish pretty much every single event, something I think I'd find very hard to do now--some of the time trials in 2050 are really damned hard for me!

Random question: the AG Systems prototype craft in 2048 says you should be able to barrel roll twice. I've never managed to do this. Is there some special way you're supposed to input the barrel roll move, or is the flavour text actually wrong here?

Deimo5

2048 is the campaign that really makes me feel that I've lost a step in the last five years. I can go back to my Vita save and see that I managed to finish pretty much every single event, something I think I'd find very hard to do now--some of the time trials in 2050 are really damned hard for me!

Random question: the AG Systems prototype craft in 2048 says you should be able to barrel roll twice. I've never managed to do this. Is there some special way you're supposed to input the barrel roll move, or is the flavour text actually wrong here?

Normal barrel roll input works fine for me. It's all done in one motion in case you thought you could roll once then do it again in the same air time.
Exampe of what it looks like - https://streamable.com/0kk05

Griss

I've always felt Rapier is the sweet spot once you know the courses. Phantom is too much a lot of the time.

Ubermall is up there as one of the best racing game courses ever. The bitch 90^ turn at the end still catches me out too often, but otherwise, its the perfect Wipeout course. It has two of the best places in the game series for turbos/boosting: Using a Turbo on the incline before the final stretch and getting a stupid amount of air time. Barrel rolling after the incline just after the track branches, then nailing the sharp right turn while boosting.

Yeah, the best racing courses give you something to look forward to every lap, and something to worry about too. Those two boost areas are fun each and every time, and that final chicane before the end is a bitch, but so satisfying when you nail it. It's all about getting your angle right in the more open turn before it. Just a great, great design.

Deimo5

So wait, is it actually any different from a normal barrel roll, then? Or does it just rotate you 720 degrees but not actually give you any more of a speed boost?

The AG Systems prototype doesn't tell you how fast you are going but to me it feels like a more significant boost than a regular barrel roll

graybot

I was so bad at wipeout, then I read a post in here a few days ago. I'm sorry I don't remember who. And they mentioned using the d-pad and emphasised the importance of air brakes

Boom, I'm an expert now. Even got the 10 win online trophy

I was so bad at wipeout, then I read a post in here a few days ago. I'm sorry I don't remember who. And they mentioned using the d-pad and emphasised the importance of air brakes

Boom, I'm an expert now. Even got the 10 win online trophy

Nice! The use of air-brakes in particular is absolutely, 100% necessary to have any chance of being decent at WipEout.

Bumhead

Banned
Yeah I can't imagine playing the game at all without using air brakes. They're absolutely fundamental.

I've tried and failed to get to grips with using the D-Pad, though. Too many years have passed since I last used them for anything outside of fighting games and my brain can't handle it.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a PS4 Pro which comes with a copy so I've sold mine while the value's good before it arrives. Gonna be a hard couple of days without Wipeout :( That Pro boost tho, can't wait.

Yeah I can't imagine playing the game at all without using air brakes. They're absolutely fundamental.

I've tried and failed to get to grips with using the D-Pad, though. Too many years have passed since I last used them for anything outside of fighting games and my brain can't handle it.
I've always used the dpad in all Wipeout games but switched because of 2048. Getting corners and hitting pads works better for me when using analog. The only thing that might be feeling worse is doing the barrel rolls.

Enforcer

How do you make these spectacular gifs? They're my favorite part of this thread! I tried making a few for my friends with the PS4's Sharefactory thing, but it's awful. Super low res and tremendous loss of detail (unless I'm doing it wrong). Do you edit on PC? What software do you use? Inquiring minds want to know!

Tomeru

How come I cant see some friends on the boards? I am playing with them, but tey dont show on any record table for me...

Top Bottom