• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

pixelation

I'll be honest, i am a bit dissapointed, it looks just like i remember it (HD/Fury), which i guess is not a bad thing, but i expected more (IQ wise). Still having a blast though.

Having just blasted through the 2048 campaign and a quick lap on Sol 2, I think it's safe to say that they've done an outstanding job on this and I think that alone is worthy of praise.

I'll be honest, i am a bit dissapointed, it looks just like i remember it (HD/Fury), which i guess is not a bad thing, but i expected more (IQ wise). Still having a blast though.

HD/Fury were already running at 60fps with a dynamic 1080p resolution and was one of the PS3's cleanest looking games. Probably not a lot they could REALLY do in terms of a remaster apart from locking the resolution and cleaning it up a bit.

Vally

@OP: HDR support in games is available on both PS4 and PS4pro. It's not some Pro-specific or 4K-only enhancement (though only games with Pro support seem to get it patched in and only 4K TVs can display it).

That's a pretty important distinction as HDR is a bigger visual improvement than most stuff the Pro brings to the table (in particular if it's just the usual resolution bump).

Ah I see, I just took the info from https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/wipeout-omega-collection-ps4/ and I thought it was exclusive to Pro consoles

Super-charge your WipEout Omega Collection experience on PS4 Pro, with a variety of improvements, including:

High Dynamic Range (HDR) technology for vibrant, more lifelike colours.

Thanks, I'll remove that bullet point from the OP and add the Downsampling feature instead

reson8or

From what I could discern, the jump in quality comes primarily from playing in a 4K TV with HDR on with a PS4 Pro. As others have pointed out, the original game running in 1080p was already pretty clean.

I'm not hugely familiar with Wipeout (ours was a Nintendo household), but it looks like this might fill the F-Zero shaped hole in my heart.

Delpij

Interestingly enough, live streaming my session on YouTube ended up in 9 copyright claims and an ultimately blocked video.

OST is that badass.

Definitely happy to have 2048 rescued from the Vita. The game was black magic on the system at the time but I'm glad to see the maps on a big screen.

One complaint...Is the Photo Mode kind of shit or am I doing this wrong? I can hide the help menu but

PHOTO MODE

( )

HELP SHARE BACK

Are always on the screen, including screenshots taken. Nothing seems to hide those and it generally messes up any shot I'm taking.

Also how do airbrakes work, there's a left and a right one.

They double duty: activate both together and you'll brake fast, something you shouldn't be doing :D using each one in conjunction with directional input will help you maneuver tight corners without losing momentum. There's some advanced stuff with counter-braking you'll find out in time.

Can't wait to get Elite in all events but the last Sebenco Climb event, was never able to do that in HD, that track can go fudge itself.

They double duty: activate both together and you'll brake fast, something you shouldn't be doing :D using each one in conjunction with directional input will help you maneuver tight corners without losing momentum. There's some advanced stuff with counter-braking you'll find out in time.

ok and would you recommend binding the powerup fire to r1 and powerup absorb to l1 so I don't have to take my hand off accelerate to use them?

also should I be doing barrel rolls after every jump and should I be using the left analog or dpad?

In fact I'm not even sure what L1 does so far

also does it matter when I start pressing accelerate at the start of a race? is it possible to burn out?

Happy to play 2048 tracks on a powerful system, but playing all these PSP tracks for a third time is just making me extra-bummed that we're unlikely to see another new game.

Greenymac

Can't wait to get Elite in all events but the last Sebenco Climb event, was never able to do that in HD, that track can go fudge itself.

The trick to Sebenco Climb is to make your ships nose point down through corners...just doing that will make you faster. Give it a try next time!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

On the descent its all about using dat turbo if you have one. Don't barrel roll or you will be sucked.

There is also a place to use turbo coming out of the cave but if you have the wrong angle you will hit the sign post lmao

Yogg

Only digital Pre-order AFAIK.

That's just a shitty practice. Retro case from physical OR dynamic theme from digital. I'm not buying both because that would make it a 40 bucks theme/jacket. It might the only bad thing I have to say about the game tho.

ok and would you recommend binding the powerup fire to r1 and powerup absorb to l1 so I don't have to take my hand off accelerate to use them?

Might be a good idea. I actually started playing WipEout back then in the PS1 days, so I prefer digital airbrakes. My setup follows: L1/R1 airbrakes, L2 absorb, R2 fire, Square look back, Triangle camera, Circle is the game specific button.

also should I be doing barrel rolls after every jump and should I be using the left analog or dpad?

There's some strategy to the barrel rolls, since they use energy. I prefer using the dpad, personally, as I feel I have to correct direction less often.

In fact I'm not even sure what L1 does so far

It's a game mode specific button. It does different things in different modes.

also does it matter when I start pressing accelerate at the start of a race? is it possible to burn out?

Now, that's a good question :D I don't think so, but can't say for sure.

Might be a good idea. I actually started playing WipEout back then in the PS1 days, so I prefer digital airbrakes. My setup follows: L1/R1 airbrakes, L2 absorb, R2 fire, Square look back, Triangle camera, Circle is the game specific button.

There's some strategy to the barrel rolls, since they use energy. I prefer using the dpad, personally, as I feel I have to correct direction less often.

Yeah using the analog stick for barrel rolls is annoying as hell but I really don't wanna race using the dpad either, maybe I'll get used to it.

Definitely happy to have 2048 rescued from the Vita. The game was black magic on the system at the time but I'm glad to see the maps on a big screen.

One complaint...Is the Photo Mode kind of shit or am I doing this wrong? I can hide the help menu but

PHOTO MODE

( )

HELP SHARE BACK

Are always on the screen, including screenshots taken. Nothing seems to hide those and it generally messes up any shot I'm taking.

Having the same issue.

You gotta use dpad for this mang.

why's that?

also what level should I be attempting campaign events at, novice? or elite in case I have a good lap time and don't want it to go to waste? I feel like events without other racers shouldn't ask for a difficulty level and just give you medals based on how you did. Unless I'm missing something and the track changes with difficulty level?

dugdug

Banned
This is dumb, but, the trophy list bums me out. HD and Fury had 51 trophies combined, and, 2048 had 53 trophies.

How are there only 35 for a collection of all 3? I'll still buy it, but, that's really disappointing.

muteki

Shipped finally.

Is the content basically partitioned into 3 separate games, or is it mixed together? 3 separate campaigns or one big one? Can I race a tournament with tracks from all 3, or only from each individual game, etc.

Top Bottom